Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I don't know he used post Matt Nable stuff, even though Ra's was unpopular so I'm going with supportive of other actors. But I don't follow anyone on Twitter or Facebook, so I don't really know.

I do hope the Q&As provide some insight and that @HighHopes quest gets answered.

Edited by Genki
  • Love 6

I  think Stephen could be posting this on his FB page:

"This was one of my favorite story line to explore in three plus years of shooting the show. Thought Anna and Jack were tremendous. What a fun day on set."

As an attempt to sway people to like it as well. Some people will change their mind and say nice things about a story line they hate just because "Stephen loved it." But it wasn't just fans of the show or Olicity shippers it was seasoned professional reviewers/critics who didn't like it either. So I do think he is now using his influence to try and get people to re-examine their initial feeling about the story line. I could be totally wrong and the more cynical side of  me could be present. He may be being supportive but why now? Again, I guess I'm a bit cynical when I keep seeing some repeated actions from some people. I can see how he could like getting to explore being a father on screen, and I really do think fans would have supported the story line if the writers hadn't butchered it so badly. The way it was presented was for drama effect IMO. Also, before they introduced this SL there was NO LYING between Oliver and Felicity even when the truth hurt (4x06). But now the writers have made him accept a woman who seemed bitter (not too protective although I will say maybe to that) conditions to see his own son, lied to the woman he loves, wrapped himself in Felicity's arms while she talks about them being a team and lie (or omit the truth again). Now I'm sure he's planning on seeing this kid again so he will continue to lie to Felicity. The story line is just STUPID and CONTRIVED for DRAMA and NOTHING ELSE IMO!

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 8

Of course, SA's trying to get people to give this story a chance.  He's the face of Arrow and part of his job is to support the stories being told.  This baby mama drama is the story currently being told. This is no different then when he tried to get people on board with the LOA story last year or the Sara/Oliver lunge in season two. No one has to like this story, but why get upset with SA for doing his job. And for all we know maybe this is his favorite story.  He's a dad in real life maybe he likes finally getting to be one onscreen.

Edited by MsSchadenfreude
  • Love 5

I"m not upset with him. I'm stating my opinion. I'm not sure if anyone is upset with him I don't recall anyone saying that they were. I also didn't question whether this was his "favorite story" or not I actually stated "I can see how he could like getting to explore being a father on screen" if any part of your comments were directed to what I have said.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 2

Of course, SA's trying to get people to give this story a chance.  He's the face of Arrow and part of his job is to support the stories being told.  This baby mama drama is the story currently being told. This is no different then when he tried to get people on board with the LOA story last year or the Sara/Oliver lunge in season two. No one has to like this story, but why get upset with SA for doing his job. And for all we know maybe this is his favorite story.  He's a dad in real life maybe he likes finally getting to be one onscreen.

I want to trust him that the writers have a plan to make this story not horrible... but they burnt a lot of trust I had in s3. And then at the first opportunity in s4 they betrayed my trust again. They half assed the SL resurrection story and made LL look horrible, but I gave them a pass because they were being forced to do it. But this love child story was all on them, and they had such an easy way to be different and make the story not contrived for plot with a side of character regression.

I want to trust the writers and SA, that I should just wait & see before I judge. I was willing to give it a fair chance. But I feel like the trust I have for them is very fragile at this point. And they are not making it any better with their social media behavior. Although there is part of me, that hopes they turn it around quickly & I am going to be pleasantly surprised by how they handle it. That somehow whatever goes down in 409 triggers a complete turn around of this love child story to be about OQ the potential father & not OQ the withholding douche cuddler.

I get what you're saying that SA is just doing his job and trying to be supportive of his show & castmates. But when he tags on twitter as "chilling in central city" it seems more like he is poking the bear. Which we all know he loves to do. I only saw the GA/Batman & LDBoy stuff on FB, so I don't know how its playing out there besides what is being reported here. It just feels like what he is doing now is very intentional and coming from a very calculated place. So it makes me a little more suspicious of his behavior.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 4

I will have to defend Stephen Amell here. I think  he is being supportive of his co stars and some of the fans are making a mountain of a molehill. I am interested in seeing how the Fatherhood storyline plays out for Oliver. It might be interesting and introduce a dynamic (i.e fatherhood) that we have never seen Oliver deal with. It has story line potentials. I also like the actress who plays Samantha so I am not averse to seeing her more this Season. 

I have always found Facebook (especially Amells page for Arrow fandom) to be more representative sample of the fans all over the world. Twitter tends to be hijacked by a minority of the fan base. The fact that the picture of Stephen Amell with Anna Hopkins and the child actor has ~107,000 likes is a statement in  itself that a whole number of fans are not averse to seeing these characters appear in the up coming episodes.

Edited by Traveller
  • Love 1

Yeah, I was going to say. If I didn't completely abhor this stupidity on all levels, then I would like the picture, too. It's cute. Especially since SA posted a note at the top about how great it was to work with the actors and how much he was looking forward to the storyline. Not sure how much we can read into the total # of likes since some of the people who gave it a thumbs up are in the post wishing they could change the lying, haha.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4

I have always found Facebook (especially Amells page for Arrow fandom) to be more representative sample of the fans all over the world. Twitter tends to be hijacked by a minority of the fan base. The fact that the picture of Stephen Amell with Anna Hopkins and the child actor has ~107,000 likes is a statement in  itself that a whole number of fans are not averse to seeing these characters appear in the up coming episodes.

The over 100000 people who like a picture on FB can do so for any number of reasons i.e. they like the SL; they think Amell is handsome; the kid is cute;  the Baby Mama is pretty etc. I don't think a "like" is necessarily an endorsement nor indictment of the storyline.  JMO.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 13

I didn't bother to like it formally, because I didn't want my thumbs up or favorite to be considered an endorsement for the SL. And I am a fan of the love child/ OQ as a father SL, just not the contrived crap the writers pulled with this whole you must lie/withhold the truth to everyone BS.

Personally, I like the photo. It's a cute photo. If there was a thumbs up with an asterisk, I would have used it. But the writers have asked for apathy to stop their stupidity, so apathy is what I am giving them. Well apathy on their sites.

• Love 2

Yeah, I don't think the number of likes on that 'family' photo is an indication that people like the storyline. Some people literally like anything SA posts because he's SA.

That said, 100k likes for someone who has 4m followers isn't really much, is it? And some of the comments underneath, you can tell they're SA fans but are trying to be diplomatic about disliking the story. "I didn't really like the lying but your acting was so amazing, love you!" LMAO.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 5

Most of the F/F couples on that list are canon--Korrasami, Clexa, Hollstein. If you leave off the Real Person Ships (and I wish Tumblr had done that, because...let's not), you're down to Destiel, Stucky, Johnlock, SwanQueen, Sterek, and maybe Ereri (I really know nothing about AoT) for non-canon same-sex ships. The first five are some of the most popular ships on the internet. I'm not surprised that would be reflected on Tumblr of all places and I really find nothing strange about it.

Edited by Carrie Ann

Most of the F/F couples on that list are canon--Korrasami, Clexa, Hollstein. If you leave off the Real Person Ships (and I wish Tumblr had done that, because...let's not), you're down to Destiel, Stucky, Johnlock, SwanQueen, Sterek, and maybe Ereri (I really know nothing about AoT) for non-canon same-sex ships. The first five are some of the most popular ships on the internet. I'm not surprised that would be reflected on Tumblr of all places and I really find nothing strange about it.

Anyone else suffering from Portmanteau Overload after reading this? Just curious… ;)

• Love 9

As an SPN viewer, I'm not entirely sure that Destiel isn't canon given the Fan Fiction episode that literally addressed the existence of Destiel. That is one of the trickiest ships out there. I don't know what to think about it! LOL

I'll defend SA here too. I think the storyline COULD have been great, if they didn't have the lying. Granted, I don't like the BM or kid, but I think the storyline had a lot of potential to showcase SA & Oliver as a Dad. I did really enjoy the scene between Oliver and William, just didn't like what came before or after it with the lying. 

Like SA said at HVFF, he loves being a dad so he'd like to play that on Arrow. It would no doubt be a well acted, interesting storyline IF the writers didn't screw up with BM & the lying. The only acting I didn't agree with was the end scene-SA should have played it differently, he should have embraced Felicity instead of the cuddle. 

• Love 8

I'm the same. I don't have an issue at all with the kid storyline. It's the contrived ultimatum from Samantha and the lying that I have an issue with. It's so clearly manufactured drama, and it didn't have to be. :(

• Love 9

Yep. I don't want a kid on this show ever ever ever, but I think watching Oliver navigate fatherhood could've been an interesting story. They set it up in a way that makes Oliver look terrible, makes BM look unreasonable, and the only believable way for the storyline to go at this point given the whole DD story is that both of them pack up and move somewhere in the middle of the night, never to be heard from again. 

So, I get that SA was excited for the storyline, they just botched it with the lying. Which seems to be the sentiment over on his Facebook page. 

• Love 5

I admit I really don't like fictional kids 99% of the time, but I can deal with them -- if the text convinces me they're providing good story fodder for the grownups' character development.

I think the problem for me here is they went out of their way to NOT set up a fatherhood storyline for Oliver. They set up a Secrets & Lies storyline that happens to involve procreation. He can't tell anyone he loves about it, he can't tell the kid about it, so it's all super internalized and depended on cues from Stephen's acting alone, that's nowhere near enough for me.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 20

From what I've seen, most fans didn't have a huge issue with the kid storyline. A lot of them (myself included) don't like kid storylines in general on TV, but I didn't see anyone downright angry and vowing to stop watching. In my case, I was willing to go along it even though it was far from what I wanted to see play out on the show. Little did I know that they would take a relatively tolerable storyline and completely torpedo it by making Oliver lie to Felicity over conditions that made no sense whatsoever. Seems like that poor storytelling is what has most people incensed.

• Love 15

Some of SA's responses from his Facebook Q&A on Dec. 7...

Part 1:
-- He was gone from social media "for a little bit - for no reason whatsoever, by the way."
-- He gave "two truths and a lie" about this Wednesday's episode (see page 772 of Spoiler Discussion thread).
-- He will get to speak Arabic again "pretty soon".
-- Good line from this Wednesday's episode - he whispers

"You're coming with me."

-- His favorite Christmas movie is Die Hard.
-- In response to question of whether he will end up popping the question to Felicity, he said,

"Well, I have a ring. It's generally the next step."

Part 2:
-- Regarding how he makes Oliver's "sad faces" seem so real, he said it's just acting.
-- He would love to bring the Heroes & Villains FanFest to Toronto.
-- Regarding the terrible shirt he wore in the crossover, he said he loves his wardrobe but "not everything hits".
-- He loves Christmas music.
-- He was "extremely excited" to hear that

Italia Ricci is joining the DC universe (she'll be joining Supergirl as Silver Banshee and is engaged IRL to RA).

He hasn't had time to watch Supergirl yet.
-- He will absolutely see the new Star Wars movie. but doesn't know when yet.
-- He doesn't know of any plans to bring Manu Bennett back, but he hopes that he will be back.  Deathstroke is still alive so it's possible.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 12

White men when told they're wrong, never not hilarious.

Can someone explain what this post means? It's seems sindely racist and vaguely misandric, but maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Little did I know that they would take a relatively tolerable storyline and completely torpedo it by making Oliver lie to Felicity over conditions that made no sense whatsoever. Seems like that poor storytelling is what has most people incensed.

And I really think this is a case pretty much like what happened to Kalinda's skeevy husband on Good Wife? Everybody -- fans and critics alike hated the storyline because IT WAS DUMB. And Arrow is experiencing the same thing. It's not the kid that's the problem, it's the artificial construction for upcoming relationship drama. That was clear as day to anyone who watches with half a brain. And that's what's been the response from the pro-critics -- who really really really dislike it when shows undermine their intelligence, which Arrow did here. I just hope their opinions have actual value to the showrunners and the network/studio at this point.

• Love 7

Can someone explain what this post means? It's seems sindely racist and vaguely misandric, but maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

That was me. I don't believe I can be racist against white people because 1. I'm white and 2. imo racism involves someone who's part of the powerful majority having prejudices against a powerless minority. In this case, since I'm white, I'm part of the powerful majority commenting on my own class of peers.

But I am a casual misandrist, yes. Mostly against white cis-het dudes specifically. It's a privilege thing for me. Non-white and/or non-cis-het dudes tend to not frustrate me as much.

• Love 2

So, I get that SA was excited for the storyline, they just botched it with the lying. Which seems to be the sentiment over on his Facebook page.

Unless that was his masterplan with releasing the family photos on Monday before a reairing & then having a Q&A.... He's disappointed with how the story played out. He knows the fans are. So gather some legit evidence from social media that is more than just "shipper" hate, and bring it to TPTB so he can get the story back on track before more irreparable damage is done to his character. SA says and does some dumb things on social media, but I think he far more savvy & calculated when it comes to using social media for his professional & charitable ventures. He is not as dumb as he sometimes appears.

Edited by kismet

Cisgendered heterosexual: a person that identifies as the sex they were assigned in birth, and are attracted to the opposite.

Ah right. That's a fairly broad brush! But each to their own I guess.

I'm pretty sure this is in response to the crap he's getting from Batman fans for the GA vs Batman question.

I can't believe that anyone would get worked up about him saying he'd beat Batman.  I mean, I believe it, I just find it ridiculous, lol. 

• Love 2