Type keyword(s) to search

Luxury Has a Taste for Me: Ramona pinot, Skinnygirl sweetener, and other Housewives merch

• Start Topic

ScoobieDoobs brought up Carole's new jewelry line, and I wanted to talk about it in Carole's thread in contrast to some of the other NYC Housewives' business ventures, but then thought that as much as the show is starting to resemble an infomercial, RHONY merchandise should have its own thread!

From bedazzled crucifixes to mythological toaster ovens, whether a Housewife dreamed it up or just licensed her name for the Amazon listing, it deserves to be snarked upon.

• Love 2

So I could not agree more with ryebread, who said of Carole's jewelry line (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sl_je_s_web_7141123011?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Carole+Radziwill&node=7141123011):

Very odd.  Carole has been hailed by many (Heather) for writing beautiful prose using her own voice.  There's no way a ghostwriter touched her books because Carole's voice "comes through the pages like you can't imagine".  This jewelry?  Not so much. A jewelry line from Carole I'd expect hemp bracelets adorned with Hello Kitty heads.

This line looks nothing like anything Carole would wear.  Carrie, yes.  Carole, no.  Did she keep all the necklaces that spell 'Carrie' in Swarovski Zirconia for herself?

Some of the cast members' products make perfect sense to me. Skinnygirl, sure. True Faith, absolutely. Kristen's nail polish venture adds up.

But Luann should be the one doing the jewelry line. I break out in hives at the phrase "statement necklace" but even I think Luann has stunning taste in obnoxiously large jewelry. I guess we'll see more of her dresses next week, but from the previews, they seem pretty nondescript.

Carole clearly just sold her name for this Swarovski Zirconia stuff, it looks nothing like her, and it isn't that interesting.

• Love 4

I've never Squeezed my Couture into anything that would make me a Skinny Girl with a Yummy Tummy, nor have I bought any of Luann's paper plates, RaMoNa'S FaCe CrEaM, or Kelly's owls, but I so would have bought the damn toaster oven! And the cookbook, too! Well, only if they covered her Kelly-offending vagina.

As for Carol's jewelry, Sonja's dress, and that other girl's nail polish, um, no.

Dang, I wrote a post and lost it, be back later.

It was so brilliant!  hahaha  and the fish I caught  on the boat last month was huge!

But was it big enough for Luann to use in a necklace?

• Love 9

So I could not agree more with ryebread, who said of Carole's jewelry line (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sl_je_s_web_7141123011?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Carole+Radziwill&node=7141123011):

Some of the cast members' products make perfect sense to me. Skinnygirl, sure. True Faith, absolutely. Kristen's nail polish venture adds up.

But Luann should be the one doing the jewelry line. I break out in hives at the phrase "statement necklace" but even I think Luann has stunning taste in obnoxiously large jewelry. I guess we'll see more of her dresses next week, but from the previews, they seem pretty nondescript.

Carole clearly just sold her name for this Swarovski Zirconia stuff, it looks nothing like her, and it isn't that interesting.

Some OK things, but why is it called "dancing"? There's no movement in these pieces at all. And unlike face shaving, I am an expert on dancing.

I too thought the jewelry looked like nothing Carole would wear, the movement is that the diamond shakes from your pulse, one of the big jewelry store chains touts that as well. 

I am surprised that there have not been any housewives merchandise infomercials on at 4am, lol.  I remember Cher got a bad rap for the hair product infomercial she did and now everyone does it. 

• Love 1

I too thought the jewelry looked like nothing Carole would wear, the movement is that the diamond shakes from your pulse, one of the big jewelry store chains touts that as well.

I am surprised that there have not been any housewives merchandise infomercials on at 4am, lol. I remember Cher got a bad rap for the hair product infomercial she did and now everyone does it.

With my curiosity piqued, I Googled and found Kay Jewelers has a similar line. Very basic. Perhaps Carole has a deal with them to use their jewelry with her name. I think if you need the word 'dancer' in the title of art, you aren't a very good artist.

• Love 1

LOL, LuAnn announced on Evine, the last time she was on a week or so ago, (formerly shop NBC) that she will be coming out with a jewelry line next year to sell on that show! LOL

I've never Squeezed my Couture into anything that would make me a Skinny Girl with a Yummy Tummy, nor have I bought any of Luann's paper plates, RaMoNa'S FaCe CrEaM, or Kelly's owls, but I so would have bought the damn toaster oven! And the cookbook, too! Well, only if they covered her Kelly-offending vagina.

As for Carol's jewelry, Sonja's dress, and that other girl's nail polish, um, no.

I bought 2 pairs of YT yoga pants a few years ago (a friend recommended them) and LOVE them and want more. The rest, nope, I don't want anything of theirs.

• Love 2

That jewelry looks cheap and hideous. That doesn't look like Carole's, it looks more like Claire's.

Now that you mention it, yep! But it makes sense, really. When I think of Claire's, I think of teenage girls, and when I think of Carol, I think she thinks she's a teen girl.

• Love 3

I'm holding out for Carole's pigtail holders (to go with my prairie dress). Yeah I'm over 50, I think I can pull it off.

LOL.

Have someone take a pic of you in that get up while you are sitting on the handlebars of a bike.

You go girl.

• Love 6

LOL.

Have someone take a pic of you in that get up while you are sitting on the handlebars of a bike.

You go girl.

Maybe I should throw on some Eboost Orange polish, a hubcap necklace and a hip holster with dueling bottles of SkinnyGirl vodka and Ramona Pinot. Do you think carrying a toaster oven will throw off my balance?

Oh wait I just need to carry the toaster oven box. I'll be fine.

• Love 4

Maybe I should throw on some Eboost Orange polish, a hubcap necklace and a hip holster with dueling bottles of SkinnyGirl vodka and Ramona Pinot. Do you think carrying a toaster oven will throw off my balance?

Oh wait I just need to carry the toaster oven box. I'll be fine.

To balance out the toaster oven...place in What Remains, The Widows Guide, SG chips and SG water (in case you are hungry and need to hydrate).

Have an unknown young hot mactor pedal and balance a boom box - blaring Chic C'est La Vie or Money Can't Buy You Clah-ass

You're gonna stop traffic!!!!

• Love 3

LOL, LuAnn announced on Evine, the last time she was on a week or so ago, (formerly shop NBC) that she will be coming out with a jewelry line next year to sell on that show! LOL

I bought 2 pairs of YT yoga pants a few years ago (a friend recommended them) and LOVE them and want more. The rest, nope, I don't want anything of theirs.

I recently bought 3 pairs of YT boy shorts. They're awesome. I highly recommend them.

• Love 1

A suggestion for Ramona & Peter for their AOA restaurant.

Put former housewives or other ancillary characters that have appeared on the show in the fake hostess position.

They don't even have to pay these famewhores and maybe a deal can be worked where Ramona & Peter get paid to allow them to hock some of their crap during their spot of hostessing. They could even use characters from other franchises.

Possible applicants:

Jill Zarin & Ginger

Bawbee

Cindy Barshop

Kelly Bensimone

Kim Granatalle

Kim D

Turn AOA into a touristy spot for fans of the Housewives Shows.

Also, there is a chance that some, not all, will be able to use more than just a stapler.

Start this now so that Kristen has a place to go next season.

• Love 5

Put former housewives or other ancillary characters that have appeared on the show in the fake hostess position.

Doesn't the Sexy J have a vast background in this specialized field?

Breaking news: Life on the Ramona Coaster will be available at the end of July. Next season, if there is one, will feature Moaner blatting endlessly about her book's huge sales figures.

The big question: will Susan Saunders provide a review?

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Ramona-Coaster-Singer/dp/1618688766/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1434212944&sr=1-1&keywords=life+on+the+ramona+coaster

• Love 5

Doesn't the Sexy J have a vast background in this specialized field?

Breaking news: Life on the Ramona Coaster will be available at the end of July. Next season, if there is one, will feature Moaner blatting endlessly about her book's huge sales figures.

The big question: will Susan Saunders provide a review?

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Ramona-Coaster-Singer/dp/1618688766/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1434212944&sr=1-1&keywords=life+on+the+ramona+coaster

Well Sonja is not a past HW yet. If she ever does get let go from HW, Ramona might not hire her as word on the street is she is a lush and might chug all of the stock.

How do you think Ramona's book will do in comparison to other HW books?

Speaking of Books....what is going on with Carole's book? Has there even been an announcement of the release date

• Love 1

Well Sonja is not a past HW yet. If she ever does get let go from HW, Ramona might not hire her as word on the street is she is a lush and might chug all of the stock.

Heh, an excellent point. Nor has Moaner ever asked her great friend to be a spokesmodel for the complexion miracle that is Tru Renewal.

Moaner needs to step up her game. Her Web site features the Smilin' Singers with Mario front and center:

http://www.ramonasinger.com/aboutus.aspx

Well, maybe she figures they have a future yet...

How do you think Ramona's book will do in comparison to other HW books?

Speaking of Books....what is going on with Carole's book? Has there even been an announcement of the release date

It's hard to say.  Just when you think the public is over what the HWs have to say, they'll be lining up to buy "Cooking While Incarcerated" the minute Teresa is sprung from the clink.

Your second question about Carole's book:  It's due out in "Spring 2014".  Oh, wait....

• Love 2

Link's broke, SCS.

Working fine at my end. Hm. Well, it's nothing exciting, just a pic of Moaner, Mario, Avery and the dog grinning wildly. Well, except for the dog, who looks rather morose and is thinking, "O free me from these crazy people...."

• Love 3

Heh, an excellent point. Nor has Moaner ever asked her great friend to be a spokesmodel for the complexion miracle that is Tru Renewal.

Moaner needs to step up her game. Her Web site features the Smilin' Singers with Mario front and center:

http://www.ramonasinger.com/aboutus.aspx

Well, maybe she figures they have a future yet...

I can see them staying married and leaving separate lives. Financially they have too many business ventures together.

If they do split and split the businesses and if Ramona gets the religious jewelry line....she might want to rename it TRUlyUNfaithful

It's hard to say.  Just when you think the public is over what the HWs have to say, they'll be lining up to buy "Cooking While Incarcerated" the minute Teresa is sprung from the clink.

Your second question about Carole's book:  It's due out in "Spring 2014".  Oh, wait....

The only thing I see for Carole is the release date of the paperback version of Widow's Guide in October of 2015.

Not her 3rd book which she had the discussion with the editor claiming to not understand deadlines.

Is she suffering from writer's block or greasy dude cock....ba dum dum

• Love 2

A suggestion for Ramona & Peter for their AOA restaurant.

They don't even have to pay these famewhores and maybe a deal can be worked where Ramona & Peter get paid to allow them to hock some of their crap during their spot of hostessing. They could even use characters from other franchises.

Possible applicants:

Jill Zarin & Ginger

Bawbee

Cindy Barshop

Kelly Bensimone

Kim Granatalle

Kim D

Turn AOA into a touristy spot for fans of the Housewives Shows.

Also, there is a chance that some, not all, will be able to use more than just a stapler.

Start this now so that Kristen has a place to go next season.

Jill would have to get Ginger certified as a service dog. Don't know how many disabled people need their boogers cleared.

Cindy Barshop could get all the employees to use her services and therefore claim all the food would be pubic hair free.

Kelly could show all the patrons how to make restaurant Angels.

Got nuttin, as in motherfuckin nuttin for the two Kim's. Don't watch that show. It's beneath me. Hahahahaha

• Love 3

Jill would have to get Ginger certified as a service dog. Don't know how many disabled people need their boogers cleared.

Cindy Barshop could get all the employees to use her services and therefore claim all the food would be pubic hair free.

Kelly could show all the patrons how to make restaurant Angels.

Got nuttin, as in motherfuckin nuttin for the two Kim's. Don't watch that show. It's beneath me. Hahahahaha

Ha!

There are plenty of other franchises. Other possibles:

Quinn Oc

Laurie OC

Frank - Jeanna's tenant

Gretchen

Lynn

Jo

Alexis

Potted Plant 2.0 aka Pam...aka these sunglasses $25000

Joyce

Carlton

• Love 1

LOL

Unfortunately it was only about 8 inches long so, about 2 inches shy of Lu's standard.  ;)

It was a triggerfish .  The triggerfish has an interesting way of protecting against predators.  The first two dorsal spines pop up and cannot be pushed down ( I tried when the fishing guide showed me) but, if one presses on the smaller rear spine , both of them retract, instantly.  I pushed and pushed on the large forward spine and it was not going to retract.  Just a soft push on the smaller rear spine and the whole thing retracted.

Reminded me of some of the HW's.  ;)  Their spines go up and will not  retract until one finds the right key.  

I named my fish Betheather ;)  She was caught then released.

• Love 3
(edited)

Replying to the following post from Deputy in the First Looks Thread:

"So what you are saying it less is more? Lisa and Heather's way of NOT hawking  their stuff is far superior to Ramona and other's who walk around with their own glasses.

I can't count how many posts there are of complaints that they are turning the Housewife shows into a giant informercial. I quit agree with that sentiment. Shoving their products down my throat would not make me buy it, it is a turn off.

One housewife isn't wearing T-Shirts with her products' name on it,  so clearly she and her marketing team are not smart."

I think that might be part of it, and I certainly agree that less is more with this stuff, but I wonder if there is not more to it than that. If it is not stuff that is negotiated in their contract? Or if perhaps, they lose control over how it might be portrayed in such an edited environment? What if a HW mocked it, or spit out another HW's wine and said it tasted like shit? If it were my brand, my biggest concern would be that I would have lost control of the messaging.  Where I work, the controls that are set in place for any mention of our products is extreme.

WireWrap posted an interesting article in the "Bethenny" thread about the loss of her brand's equity over the last couple of years, and of the fact that the people doing the research concluded that in large part the losses could be attributed to her decaying fan base.  She is literally the face of Skinnygirl, and when people didn't like her so much, it hurt her brand.  In Heather's case, her brand existed and was successful before she ever had a single fan. She certainly talked about it more in the first season than she has since, and now not so much. I wonder if cases like Beth's aren't one of the reasons. Why tie your brand so directly to this show and let it be an outside force in potentially harming your brand just because people don't like you as much? Again, based on editing that might sometimes portray you in a less than flattering light. 

ETA: Deputy, I hope you are not offended because I shortened your name! I have come to learn this bothers some and I wouldn't want you to not like me because of it. 

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 6

"So what you are saying it less is more? Lisa and Heather's way of NOT hawking  their stuff is far superior to Ramona and other's who walk around with their own glasses.

I can't count how many posts there are of complaints that they are turning the Housewife shows into a giant informercial. I quit agree with that sentiment. Shoving their products down my throat would not make me buy it, it is a turn off.

One housewife isn't wearing T-Shirts with her products' name on it,  so clearly she and her marketing team are not smart."

I think that might be part of it, and I certainly agree that less is more with this stuff, but I wonder if there is not more to it than that. If it is not stuff that is negotiated in their contract? Or if perhaps, they lose control over how it might be portrayed in such an edited environment? What if a HW mocked it, or spit out another HW's wine and said it tasted like shit? If it were my brand, my biggest concern would be that I would have lost control of the messaging.  Where I work, the controls that are set in place for any mention of our products is extreme.

WireWrap posted an interesting article in the "Bethenny" thread about the loss of her brand's equity over the last couple of years, and of the fact that the people doing the research concluded that in large part the losses could be attributed to her decaying fan base.  She is literally the face of Skinnygirl, and when people didn't like her so much, it hurt her brand.  In Heather's case, her brand existed and was successful before she ever had a single fan. She certainly talked about it more in the first season than she has since, and now not so much. I wonder if cases like Beth's aren't one of the reasons. Why tie your brand so directly to this show and let it be an outside force in potentially harming your brand just because people don't like you as much? Again, based on editing that might sometimes portray you in a less than flattering light. 

ETA: Deputy, I hope you are not offended because I shortened your name! I have come to learn this bothers some and I wouldn't want you to not like me because of it. 

Wasn't there a scene the season Ramona started with her brand of wine where Luann and the French guy (Can't for the life of me remember his name) she was living with had a blind wine tasting of Ramona's wine? I seem to recall some sort of argument about them trying to say her wine tasted bad or something but they didn't know which was hers. 

Anyway, that would be one reason I would be very careful about putting my brand out for discussion by the other women. 

• Love 4

I was reading Forbes on line last week and at the conclusion of the article was a video of Bethenny talking about how fabulous she is and how when she signed up she had 100% ownership of her brand unlike other lesser housewives who signed away a percentage.  She said it is referred to as the "Bethenny Clause".  Something tells me Vanderpump and Kyle don't give Bravo a nickel.  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bethenny-frankel-skinnygirl-sale-181124  Not the ad I saw but interesting none the less.  Mentions of Jason.  I noticed that Bravo has scrubbed Jason's photo from the spin offs.  Basically there are just photos of bethenny and Julie Plake.

As to Kristen appearances and opportunities to pimp her polish - she isn't terribly interesting and she and Josh are a bit oafish with their branding and namedropping.  My favorite clip:  http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-6/episode-602/videos?clip=2760241

• Love 1

Wasn't there a scene the season Ramona started with her brand of wine where Luann and the French guy (Can't for the life of me remember his name) she was living with had a blind wine tasting of Ramona's wine? I seem to recall some sort of argument about them trying to say her wine tasted bad or something but they didn't know which was hers. 

Anyway, that would be one reason I would be very careful about putting my brand out for discussion by the other women.

Yes, it was all very sneaky of Lu at the time. Lu and Jacques had a wine tasting and they had people come forward to taste various wines and give their thoughts on them. When it was Ramona's turn, they had her try her own, although of course she didn't know it was hers. At first she didn't like it and said something negative about it. On the second sip, she did like it. She kind of turned it around, but it had all the potential in the world to have been extremely embarrassing should Ramona (or anyone else that tasted it) not have liked it. Mario really let Lu have it over that.

• Love 3

Since the second season of Luanne being on RHNY she did not have her own jewelry line, but she was getting paid by a jeweler to wear their statement necklaces and other accessories (earrings, rings, bracelets) on the show.

She would plug them in her Twitter and her blogs.

I think her line of jewelry (statement necklaces) will do better than Stassi's from VPR

• Love 1

Besides leveraging some control over the message, if they are being made to paid royalties for the exposure as has been mentioned here, maybe the housewives whose merchandize don't shadow them decided to allot only so much $$ for the Bravo exposure. 

As a start up, I am sure there is a fixed budget for Pop Of Color. It'll make no sense to blow all or most of the advertising cash on one platform. The product is not even in stores yet from what I understand.  Not to mention the shortsightedness of tying the brand that closely to one person. 

My namesake couldn't wait to become a Deputy.  She called herself Deputy Deputy Chief of Staff in the interim. The day she earned that title deputy was one of the happiest days on the entire series ; West Wing. Being a Deputy is an honor ;)

• Love 1

What happened to Sonja's "sexy novel" that she spoke of during her first season?  Also, when Kristen joined the cast there was talk about her line of greeting card boxes.  I don't remember hearing about that on the shows though.

What happened to Sonja's "sexy novel" that she spoke of during her first season?  Also, when Kristen joined the cast there was talk about her line of greeting card boxes.  I don't remember hearing about that on the shows though.

Good memory! I had completely forgotten about that. I think that she mentioned this was something she had done in the past. When they lived in California, maybe?

Jill did Wife Swap?

Seems almost desperate.

Maybe even more desperate than the matzo?

I'm not seeing how the matzo is desperate, but Wife Swap is a bit of a yikes moment. Not as bad as Aviva's clinging to her fifteen minutes though.

Meanwhile B just launched a production company!

• Love 1

I'm not seeing how the matzo is desperate, but Wife Swap is a bit of a yikes moment. Not as bad as Aviva's clinging to her fifteen minutes though.

Meanwhile B just launched a production company!

Wow, good for her (B, I mean). Looking forward to what comes of it, but I hope it's not just a conduit for other Bethenny-centric projects.

This forum has been locked until Midnight US Eastern.

Over the past few weeks, there has been a large increase in sniping among posters in this forum, and many reports. We have locked the forum to give everyone a chance to read and absorb the following guidelines:

1. Snark the show, not your fellow posters.

2. It is perfectly fine for someone to have an opinion that's different than yours.

3. A differing opinion should not be a catalyst for vehement disagreement and endless back and forth. State your opinion once, and move on. You can agree to disagree by simply not posting on the subject further.

4. Stop stating opinions and speculation as fact. We rarely know for sure what's going on behind the scenes. Speculation is encouraged, but saying "I think", "in my opinion" or "it's possible that" helps keep things from escalating. 

5. If someone's posts annoy you, use the Ignore feature. If someone really crosses a line, report, but do not engage. 

6. Don't discuss mod actions in the thread. Please PM us if you have a question or concern - @Lisin, @OnceSane, @Mya Stone, @Aethera.

7. This is supposed to be fun. If it's not fun for you, consider changing your approach.

Failure to follow these rules may lead to suspension or banning from the site.