Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: The Big Decision

• Start Topic

Sean seems like a fame whore.  Jessica and Ryan have the shortest kisses (zillions of them, but oh so short) and one move-him carrying her over his shoulder in manly prehistoric or frustrated fireman wannabe fashion...  The only couple who seem to actually like and listen to each other -Ryan and Jaclyn.   Whether they survive past the experiment, I think that somehow they'll stay in each other's lives.  JMO.   Based on pretty much nothing.

Yes! And each kiss is almost like a head butt, barely a millionth of a second and almost as if he's repulsed at having to kiss her.  A huge SMACK, then pulls away abruptly like a 10 yr old boy being told to kiss his aunt to thank her for a present. He was obviously pouring those pathetic 'aunt' kisses on Jessica to try and erase the beast we all saw the first few weeks.  If the rumors are true,

I'm not surprised they didn't make it

• Love 4

I gotta disagree that a brief kiss is equal to a pathetic aunt kiss.  As an adult (and especially one with a family and a job, and one who's on national television) it's not appropriate to make out and work the tonsils every time you kiss.  In my home I have two small children, and sucking face isn't appropriate- but that doesn't mean I don't constantly kiss my wife.  You just plant one on your spouse as a reminder that you adore them and let them know there's more where it came from... when the time is right. 

For me, Sean and Davina's wedding day mouth-massacre was completely inappropriate and a little repulsive.  It was basically 7th grade Spin the Bottle on steroids.   ;)

• Love 13

Yes! And each kiss is almost like a head butt, barely a millionth of a second and almost as if he's repulsed at having to kiss her.  A huge SMACK, then pulls away abruptly like a 10 yr old boy being told to kiss his aunt to thank her for a present. He was obviously pouring those pathetic 'aunt' kisses on Jessica to try and erase the beast we all saw the first few weeks.  If the rumors are true,

I'm not surprised they didn't make it

Ryan comes across to me as the type that has very little experience with committed relationships. i would even bet that his 5 year ex is a figment of his imagination. He's probably the Douchebro type that smashes randoms and doesn't kiss or hold hands.

• Love 6
(edited)

Note to producers:  The only people who watch a season finale are those who have watched at least most of the prior episodes, so there is NO NEED TO REPEAT endless footage from the entire season, sheesh!

I was thinking the same thing.Yes, we know; enough repetitions already! I guess annoying the viewers is not nearly as big an issue for the producers as making as much money as they can from TV ads by having a lot of episodes and long shows.

I know, I don't know how she took it so well, too!  If any guy ever didn't like Italian food and worse yet acted THAT way about it, it would be all over for me.  Ryan is so immature that he can't even try to hide his dislike of it so as not to insult her or her culture.  I'm sorry but he really is such a freakin' bonehead!

Yes, she just laughed it off - which just shows how good-natured she is. I really think that she has a good heart and Ryan should have been happy to find someone like her. And I agree that it was a very immature thing for him to do.

Edited by BunnySlippers
  • Love 5
Yes, she just laughed it off - which just shows how good-natured she is. I really think that she has a good heart and Ryan should have been happy to find someone like her. And I agree that it was a very immature thing for him to do.

I thought it made Ryan look ignorant, then again maybe, before the show he rarely left the basement.

• Love 11

QUOTE And why wasn't the non-consummation of their marriage even discussed? The sexologist and Cilona were suddenly shy? Davina was purposeful in her use of the term, platonic marriage. I'm guessing she wanted to discuss the elephant in the room and its serious repercussions. But fragile, anxiety-ridden Sean escaped that terror-filled convo. Or, at least, it was left on the cutting-room floor. Just as well, I suppose. ENDQUOTE

(sorry, but the quote thing does not work on my laptop!!)

Anyway: To answer the above question, here's what I think that what really happened to Sean and Davina. At the wedding and reception, they were all over each other with some pretty good chemistry. And they'd been doing some drinking.

No doubt that by the time they got back to the honeymoon suite, ol' Sean was sure he was going to get lucky that night. From what he says, he's used to easy girls and one-night stands, and I'm certain that that's how he approached Davina.

Well, since she thought she was now a wife and not a one-night stand or an easy lay, it went badly and she ended up being highly offended. (And I can't say as I blame her.)

After a night of bad/unsuccessful sex, stuff like relocation and apartments is all just smoke and mirrors for the real problem. If they'd waited to try to be intimate, like some of the other (much more successful) couples did, *maybe* they'd have had a chance. At the very least, maybe they wouldn't hate each other so much now.

• Love 4
(edited)

I gotta disagree that a brief kiss is equal to a pathetic aunt kiss.  As an adult (and especially one with a family and a job, and one who's on national television) it's not appropriate to make out and work the tonsils every time you kiss.  In my home I have two small children, and sucking face isn't appropriate- but that doesn't mean I don't constantly kiss my wife.  You just plant one on your spouse as a reminder that you adore them and let them know there's more where it came from... when the time is right. 

For me, Sean and Davina's wedding day mouth-massacre was completely inappropriate and a little repulsive.  It was basically 7th grade Spin the Bottle on steroids.   ;)

I wasn't talking about Ryan full on making out with Jessica; I meant that every one of his sudden nano-second kisses looks forced and contrived.  He leans in like a Ram ready for battle, then pulls away like someone threw acid in his face. When Mr. slushie lays a peck on me, there's some feeling there, no matter how quick it is, and he doesn't practically concuss me.

That said, I totally agree about Sean and Davina. Right after the I do's, (maybe 3 minutes after meeting) they had their tongues down each other's throats - and the continued face sucking throughout the reception was gross and most probably uncomfortable for the guests.

Edited by cherry slushie
  • Love 7

I wasn't talking about Ryan full on making out with Jessica; I meant that every one of his sudden nano-second kisses looked forced and contrived.  When Mr. slushie lays a peck on me, there's some feeling there, no matter how quick it is, and he doesn't practically concuss me.

That said, I totally agree about Sean and Davina. Right after the I do's, (maybe 3 minutes after meeting) they had their tongues down each other's throats - and the continued face sucking throughout the reception was gross and most probably uncomfortable for the guests.

but it was their fairy tale - remember?! :)

• Love 1

I wonder if when the first person says what they want if it affects the second person's answer. If one says I want a divorce, I think the other might change their answer and vice versa. They should write them down before hand and have the experts open them.

I was so annoyed at basement Ryan for being such a pussy about eating Indian food. Among other things. Jaclyn will totally have to carry this relationship.

I think she's been carrying their relationship all along.

• Love 6

And then he said "I just lost a baby" WOAH red flag. And that was the end of that relationship. I still can't believe she stuck it out until the very end. Why he was surprised she wanted a divorce was funny to me.

• Love 6

I might be wrong, but I thought last season the couple answered together.  I distinctly remember Vaughn saying "we've decided to get a divorce", rather than each person being asked separately.  This whole deal of asking each spouse what they wanted was just stupid faux drama BS that actually didn't matter.  Anybody who stuck around to that point already knew the couples well enough to know what was going to happen.

I know this isn't the majority opinion,, but I really like Jaclyn and Ryan R.  Someone said upthread that they didn't have anything in common, but if you looked at my husband and me "on paper", we shouldn't have even gone on one date.  We were complete and total opposites, I am older by a few years, had 3 children and was divorced.  He didn't want kids, was super attached to his family (he even lived with his brother and sister in law), we liked different music, movies, tv shows and types of food.  We've been together (happily!) for 18 years, married for 17 years and have a child together.  I didn't even see him as real boyfriend material when I met him, he was a place holder until someone else came along.  

All that TMI was just to say that if you have chemistry and the timing is right, what seems to be a poor match can actually turn out to be a good relationship.  Jaclyn and Ryan R have a friendship and most importantly, they RESPECT each other.  They communicate well (he was able to tell her the things she did that bother him and she was able to listen without getting defensive *ahem, Sean* ) and they both made an effort to take responsibility for the relationship.  

But that's it. You and your spouse had chemistry.  Jaclyn and Ryan-- not so much.  Everything else you said was spot on.

• Love 1

Does anyone genuinely believe the couples made their decisions separately?  I sure don't.  That seemed like more producer-driven BS to me.

I'd be amazed if each couple didn't privately discuss their decision to leave vs stay.

• Love 3

Good Lord, could Jessica talk any more slowly? Each meandering sentence takes 30 minutes to get out. Was that her strategy to maximize screentime?

There is no universe in which I think Douche Ryan wants to be/is ready to be married. He just strikes me as a guy who still has many years of clubbing with his bros and picking up girls left in his system. Their decision to stay together reeks of wanting to extend their 15 minutes. If that's the case, then frankly, those two deserve eachother.

I was happy to see Jaclyn & Ryan stay together simply because I'm a Jaclyn fan and it seemed to make her happy. When Ryan was talking to his friend, he never seemed to recognize that Jaclyn not being his personality twin might be good because she complements him. With her, he'll get exposed to exotic things like >gasp< Indian food. The problem is, I'm not sure Ryan wants that. I think he'd be content to live in Mommy's basement forever and eat Wonder Bread. If he can't see that/doesn't want that, I hope they figure that out soon and he gets out of Jaclyn's way. She seems like a really, nice, fun woman who deserves a great guy.

Lastly, Sean and Davina (or is it Satan?). These two are just The Death of Fun. Their marriage was over by the honeymoon and the Sleigh-Ride of Doom. Maybe we should be thankful that they did spend as much time as they did apart or it seems like it would have been worse. I'll be tuning in to the reunion just to see these two battle. I would normally feel so much more sympathy for Davina, but she is such a robot that I have a hard time generating any for her.

• Love 5

Davina:  I've learned that I need a strong person.

Sean:  I'm not a weak person.

In my experience, a strong person wouldn't have felt the need to interrupt his wife while she's speaking to say this. 

I read somewhere that Davina was put off by Sean when she was having her "moment" on the carriage ride on their honeymoon because he had cried like a baby numerous times up to that point and she had tried to comfort him.  How long had they known each other at that point?  48-72 hours?  And he had cried several times?  I would think he was weak, too.  And manipulative.

• Love 6

Or just not what she wanted.

It took me a long time to get over wanting a "sensitive" guy. That's kind of the ideal, right? But I am happier with an edgy man with whom I occasionally bicker, and I suspect Davina might be, too. 

• Love 3

Yay!

More chances:

To kick Sean while he is down by Davina and the experts except dr. C

To roll our eyes at Sean's latest reason for NOT being weak.

To view Davina's Resting Bitch Face as she listens to Sean's wimpering.

• Love 3
(edited)

To me, Sean's photo should be in the dictionary next to "dweeby nebbish." His calculated phoniness rubbed me the wrong way. It REALLY bothers me when a guy like Sean can so easily put one over on a pro like Cilona. I'd love to know what Pepper and Levkoff and Epstein truly think of Sean.

While Sean was a posturing imposter to me, I felt Jessica and RyanD were the worst of the worst. I believe those two actually conspired to stay married despite their mutual hatred, expessly for tv-career opportunities. Fine. Just stop with the prince charming, lubbydubby bullshit.

The Experts kill me. It's really ALL ABOUT THEM, isnt it? They get those simpering smiles, the bobblehead-nodding, when clearly incompatible people pretend they're gonna stay together. But when the failures explain their decisions, the Experts look ANGRY. Not concerned or sympathetic; not inquisitive or sad. Angry.

It's like I see the bubbles over the Experts' heads: "You Losers are making US look like LOSERS! Why can't you play along and PRETEND!"

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 10
(edited)

I wasn't talking about Ryan full on making out with Jessica; I meant that every one of his sudden nano-second kisses looks forced and contrived. He leans in like a Ram ready for battle, then pulls away like someone threw acid in his face. When Mr. slushie lays a peck on me, there's some feeling there, no matter how quick it is, and he doesn't practically concuss me.

And Davina completely bought into the affection, while Sean was auditioning AND putting on a huge show for his friends and family. The guy really has something to prove. It's pathetic.

I thought last episode's bowling fiasco was a great illustration of the disconnect between who Sean really is versus who he longs to be. He's a fictional character in real life.

[Edited to fix Sean's name. Thanks, rulesoftravel!]

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 3

"Varricchio finds it too hard to relive those moments from their failed marriage and hasn’t watched a full episode."

Yeah, right. He loves to see himself on TV.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/09/divorced-married-at-first-sight-couple-react-to-finale-i-cant-say-i-know-who-i-was-married-to/

Wow.  Sean really has a whole lot to say in that article, doesn't he?  Davina has a couple comments in there but Sean throws out "walking on eggshells" and "she wouldn't compromise" and "reliving trauma".  He gets worse and worse.

• Love 3

I thought Davina threw just as much shade as Sean did, she just did it with prettier words and a few "unfortunately's." I hope I am not out of line for saying this (but assume it's okay now that the decisions have been made) but she and her friends have been very vocal about trashing Sean on social media. As much as Sean has been called a phony , that behavior from Davina, especially since she goes to great lengths to portray herself as classy and sophisticated, was surprising to me. I get that she is a woman scorned and all, but you're both 35 or so. This is not a college breakup, show some class and maturity.

• Love 4

I thought Davina threw just as much shade as Sean did, she just did it with prettier words and a few "unfortunately's." I hope I am not out of line for saying this (but assume it's okay now that the decisions have been made) but she and her friends have been very vocal about trashing Sean on social media. As much as Sean has been called a phony , that behavior from Davina, especially since she goes to great lengths to portray herself as classy and sophisticated, was surprising to me. I get that she is a woman scorned and all, but you're both 35 or so. This is not a college breakup, show some class and maturity.

After seeing Shady Sean on last night's episode, I totally get why Davina and her friends have trashed Sean on social media.  

Sean is the type of man who will tell you he loves you, to your face, all the while he's saving his pennies to hire a hit man to bump you off.  

• Love 7

Preview for the reunion show looked interesting. And I guess time hasn't healed Monet's wounds...

Wait what? Freaking Monet is going to be at the reunion?? Ughhhhh. I hate Monet.

I just want to thank these six dull people for sharing their lives with us and their journey while they write new chapters in their book.  I think that the chapters in the book will reflect the journey and the book will have chapters dedicated to their journey. Journey, chapter, book, journey, chapter, book....repeat thirty times and that's what the first 90 minutes of this waste of time was (and also the last pointless 17 minutes).

My girlfriend who hooked me onto this train wreck, BAILED at the two hour mark!  She should have finished with me so that we could have finished the journey together and close this chapter of our book.

Yes, I am looking forward to the reunion next week and I hate myself for it....journey

This. Best post ever.

• Love 2

I believe Sean hasn't watched a full episode, he totally FFs all the parts he's not in. I forgot to mention last night, I hope his Finding God journey has included knowing to never again write in a Bible like he previously did again! I go back and forth on religion so much and that completely annoyed me. You just don't do that. For all of the rehashing/recapping, and I'm sure "lost footage" is to come, the one thing that still interests me is what Sean was like going off the hotel staff, but I know it'll never come to light. That was so off putting from the jump. Davina isn't perfect, in fact I find her annoying, but he has a complete victim mentality and she was doomed to be made out to be a "Satan" to someone like him unless she kissed his ass.

• Love 1

Davina was not just shady with her vitriolic social media snipes at Sean, she was downright evil--yes, she is Satan!  If she possessed the least bit of class, she would know better than to behave like the leader of 8th grade mean girls clique.  In keeping with her superior attitude she labelled Sean weak for a second time in the finale, and then when Sean reacted angrily and criticized her, she was shocked by his "betrayal of their friendship."  Huh?  She and her friends lampooned Sean mercilessly, and she broadcasts to the world that Sean is weak but does not see HER behavior as a betrayal.  While the other five people talked about learning important life lessons, introspection and self-anaysis during their marriages, egocentric Davina only dreams of a strong man, who will be present, ever at her side, catering to her every wish.   Her greatest flaw is that she thinks she is flawless.  Ironic and sad.  Very sad.  

• Love 1

I thought last episode's bowling fiasco was a great illustration of the disconnect between who Ryan really is versus who he longs to be. He's a fictional character in real life.

I think you meant to say Sean, but you are absolutely right about the disconnect in who he is and who he yearns to be.

• Love 1

Each part is approximately 4 hours long.

I don't get it, there's MORE??  I thought I had seen the last of these 3 loser-couples when this weeks' episode ended. Argh, I can't take more of them. This entire series could have been condensed into 2 hours.

• Love 3
(edited)

Wow. Sean really has a whole lot to say in that article, doesn't he? Davina has a couple comments in there but Sean throws out "walking on eggshells" and "she wouldn't compromise" and "reliving trauma". He gets worse and worse.

He forgot to repeat his "toxic abyss" zinger in the Post. That insult was a wow to me.

Those rumors about Sean V maybe participating in MAFS: The First Year better be false. Especially if he has to spend considerable time in NYC to film. Would he reveal himself to be a liar to that extent? Yes. If necessary, he would take a leave of absence from the Jersey ER, IMO. Sean truly wants to be the figment of his imagination.

Edited by sleekandchic

Not that I liked Davina all that much, but that Sean was a piece of work. When they showed that gross clip of him asking Davina if she was noisy during sex while they were getting that couple's massage, I was reminded why he gave me the creeps. I think Davina was right about him. He is a weak man. He's a weak man who resorts to petty passive-aggressive BS gas-lighting to get what he wants so he doesn't have to confront any issues with a sense of honesty and responsibility. The truth was that he wasn't into Davina and was too much of a wuss to admit it so he kept hiding behind all these other reasons--he got panic attacks in NY, he was up for a promotion, he was too busy finding God and playing with Legos to have sex, etc. etc. 

As for Jessica and Douche Ryan, I really hope those two decided to stay married for the sake of the show only and don't have any delusions that this is a real relationship. Again, Ryan has just never been into Jessica. I don't think he particularly likes her or finds her attractive. He seemed to have this big turnaround in emotion, but it does not ring true at all.

And Jaclyn and Basement Ryan: At least I think they have tried to make a go at it. At least what we have seen from them has been relatively good-natured. Maybe they will stay friends once the breakup that sure is coming actually comes.

• Love 6

Ryan R and Jaclyn are the most interesting couple.  Jaclyn appears to be a fun-loving, affectionate, fashionable woman who is probably a great friend, and who will be a positive, uplifting influence on Ryan's cute niece.  Ryan, although obviously a sweet guy devoted to his family, does not appear to be anywhere near as well-rounded, smart or mature as Jaclyn.  While Jaclyn is drawn to Ryan for his self-deprecating sense of humor and kind nature, eventually she will be bored and frustrated by his immaturity.  I hope they make it though because of the three couples, these two people tried the hardest to make their relationship work, looking deep into themselves, admitting their shortcomings and worked to be better people as they proceeded through the experiment that is "Marriage at First Sight."

• Love 2

What bugged me about Sean was the comment that he made about himself, "I'm Christian Grey sexual."   Really Sean?  Oh come on, who says that shit on TV?  

From what I understand, Christian Grey would never say something as ridiculous  and corny as "the Mason Dixon line" when referring to heavy petting.  He also wouldn't blink an eye at toe sucking.  He might not be into it, but he wouldn't shudder and be nauseated by something that vanilla.

• Love 2
(edited)

The only reason I plan to watch next week is so I can come here and follow all the funny comments about fictional characters

From what I understand, Christian Grey would never say something as ridiculous and corny as "the Mason Dixon line" when referring to heavy petting. He also wouldn't blink an eye at toe sucking. He might not be into it, but he wouldn't shudder and be nauseated by something that vanilla.

Edited by algebra
  • Love 1

Does anyone genuinely believe the couples made their decisions separately?  I sure don't.  That seemed like more producer-driven BS to me.

I'd be amazed if each couple didn't privately discuss their decision to leave vs stay.

I can't imagine any one of them would be so cruel as to wait to drop the bomb when they were sitting with the experts.

To me, Sean's photo should be in the dictionary next to "dweeby nebbish." His calculated phoniness rubbed me the wrong way. It REALLY bothers me when a guy like Sean can so easily put one over on a pro like Cilona. I'd love to know what Pepper and Levkoff and Epstein truly think of Sean.

While Sean was a posturing imposter to me, I felt Jessica and RyanD were the worst of the worst. I believe those two actually conspired to stay married despite their mutual hatred, expessly for tv-career opportunities. Fine. Just stop with the prince charming, lubbydubby bullshit.

The Experts kill me. It's really ALL ABOUT THEM, isnt it? They get those simpering smiles, the bobblehead-nodding, when clearly incompatible people pretend they're gonna stay together. But when the failures explain their decisions, the Experts look ANGRY. Not concerned or sympathetic; not inquisitive or sad. Angry.

It's like I see the bubbles over the Experts' heads: "You Losers are making US look like LOSERS! Why can't you play along and PRETEND!"

I couldn't agree more about Dr. Sex Therapist Levkoff. She really did act pissed about the lack of time S&D spent together. Even after that, though, I can't fault the experts as much as I do the producers, because I saw the first season and saw how the experts really agonized over who they put together and how helpful they were throughout the season. It's like this year the producers said 'OK, you have to come up with good looking people and not people with receding hairlines or moles AND make sure there's some hotheads and mamas' boys in the mix to create drama. Try to put them as far apart location wise as possible'. I give the producers 80% of the blame of the crapfest this season turned out to be. They took a sweet little show that became a ratings success, and tried to "fix it" because they think they know so much, and for all practical purposes messed up these people's lives. Now for sure one, most probably two, and I would say in the not too distant future all three couples will be divorced.

• Love 3

I don't know if the producers messed up anybody's lives.  I just don't get why a person would go on a reality show to find love.  You have to know that something shady will happen in order to increase the drama.  

Thinking about fixed stuff, why would Jessica and Ryan go shopping a mattress if they weren't going to stay together.  

I think what the producers wanted was to have even higher ratings that last season.  They figured that if they needed an attractive cast, they knew they had to have some drama and so they created a situation where this was achieved.  Frankly, I think they did achieve what they wanted; I bet more people watched this season than last season.  As for a third season, the producers know, that a third season won't come on for months and when it comes on people will say, "oh, I want to see what happens."  I have a feeling that most people aren't done with the show, and often people who say they're done with a show, come back for next season.

• Love 2

If Ryan & Jess are already finished, I can't imagine what would be the point of a Married-First Year sequel. If they're broken up, S&D are broken up, who's left but JacRy, and you can't tell me the producers would think those two are worth their own show. Even if, like some people are saying, Sean might be in the sequel, who else would they get? Newly single Jessica? I was OK with watching Monet last season try to find love after divorcing Vaughn, but two soon-to-be divorced people and the least interesting couple on the show? Good grief.

Even if, like some people are saying, Sean might be in the sequel, who else would they get? Newly single Jessica? I was OK with watching Monet last season try to find love after divorcing Vaughn, but two soon-to-be divorced people and the least interesting couple on the show? Good grief.

The very last thing we need to see if Sean (Christen Grey/ south of the Mason Dixon line) trying to find love in NJ and not missing a bowling night. We will be just fine without this.

• Love 4

I'm so happy that's over.

My favorite part of that Ambien of an episode was during the last Jessica/Ryan segment - they were pontificating on their maybe-not-so-awful? relationship and there was a shot of Destiny the cat, sitting on top of the fridge, giving them total cat side-eye. 

That was glorious. The rest was so snoozy but who am I kidding, I'll totally watch the reunion show.

• Love 2

I don't know if the producers messed up anybody's lives.  I just don't get why a person would go on a reality show to find love.  You have to know that something shady will happen in order to increase the drama.  

Thinking about fixed stuff, why would Jessica and Ryan go shopping a mattress if they weren't going to stay together.  

I think what the producers wanted was to have even higher ratings that last season.  They figured that if they needed an attractive cast, they knew they had to have some drama and so they created a situation where this was achieved.  Frankly, I think they did achieve what they wanted; I bet more people watched this season than last season.  As for a third season, the producers know, that a third season won't come on for months and when it comes on people will say, "oh, I want to see what happens."  I have a feeling that most people aren't done with the show, and often people who say they're done with a show, come back for next season.

Good points. Oh, I'm definitely going to continue to watch next season. I was just disappointed this season with the couples, but truly, think what the odds are for two total strangers to have a connection. You see those bad odds on The Bachelor all the time.

The very last thing we need to see if Sean (Christen Grey/ south of the Mason Dixon line) trying to find love in NJ and not missing a bowling night. We will be just fine without this.

LOL