Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation WITHOUT Spoilers: Lalalalala! I can't hear you!

• Start Topic

I'm fairly certain that Emma is in Storybrooke, not off somewhere else. This show just wanted a dramatic disappearance and a shot of the dagger for the big cliffhanger ending.

I think that's probably it.  She could have been poofed to where the well is because magic or the Sorcerer's mansion.  I'd be surprised if she was taken to another realm.  

So does it work if they say Emma's name three times and then she just shows up?

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if maybe Emma poofed herself away because she didn't want to face the people she loved as the Dark One, but she left the dagger because she trusts them with it. She knows they won't make her do anything bad and won't let her do anything bad. That would explain her still being in Storybrooke in spite of her dramatic exit.

I think she should move into the mansion. That would get her out of her parents' house and give her a proper Dark One lair.

Oh, and if the mansion is the Sorcerer's and it was brought to Storybrooke, that could mean, unfortunately, that Merlin is in Storybrooke somehow. He's probably in some enchanted object in the mansion or is invisible, or something like that.

Edited by Shanna Marie
  • Love 3

That belonged to Elsa and Anna, so they probably took it with them. But they can probably just open a door in the Mysterious Mansion to get there. The trouble is, who do they have left who's pure of heart who could wish on it? Henry?

I figured they took it with them, but they could always send Ariel to borrow it from them. And I'd say Henry could do it.

They will of course not utilize it.

I think she should move into the mansion. That would get her out of her parents' house and give her a proper Dark One lair.

She totally needs to! That'll get around their pesky "budget" BS.

(edited)

I doubt they'd get him back in a bigger capacity if they  got rid of him in the first place. But I'd take August over all other contestants for a major role (like Lily and Zelena. We're probably stuck with Robin until the end of times).

Edited by FurryFury

So the Apprentice's magic can transcend realms and he apparently could retain his magic in the LwM or am I the only one getting this?

I would not be averse to them going into the actual real world to try and find Merlin, though the whole he's Far Far Far Away from here makes me think they will be introducing Shrek and Fiona next season.

(It's just a joke BTW)

(edited)

I figured they took it with them, but they could always send Ariel to borrow it from them. And I'd say Henry could do it.

They will of course not utilize it.

I have a strange head canon concerning the wishing star that probably makes no sense, but I'm sticking to it.

No one knew what the Wishing Star looked like (until they found out it was Anna's necklace), so I figured it could take on any shape or form (or attach itself to something) and that once it's used it vanishes and reappears wherever waiting for the next person to wish on it.

There I said it. That means they'd have to stumble upon the wishing star, and there aren't many people who could use it in town. henry, belle maybe?

Edited by HoodlumSheep
henry, belle maybe?

Rumple apparently since they cleaned his slate completely.

I have a question though.  Someone who was bad and then turns around and not only redeems themselves but goes above and beyond even after they've redeemed themselves.  Would the wishing star work for them?  I mean Elsa condemned the town to a terrible fate when she chose to steal the necklace and find her sister instead of letting the necklace go.  But it's her regret for doing that that sort of reset her on the whole pure heart path.

I'm thinking the Wishing Star would still work for Snowing and Hook because redemption.

(edited)

I would be fine with the wishing star working with whoever, as long as their intentions are like the purest of pure with whatever they are wishing.

But I doubt we'll see the wishing star again...or Emma's magic skypeing power, etc.

Although now that I think of her magic skypeing, she never communicated, but was able to see things. It was regina who could communicate through mirrors.

Emma could practice though.

Personally, I think A&E should use the gauntlet to some capacity, because at least that would connect to the Camelot stuff, and it wouldn't be a one and done item.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
(edited)

From another thread:

Actually, speaking of that, Rumple was resurrected at the Dark One's vault or whatever they called it. What if that's where Emma ended up?

If this show actually cared about its continuity (insert sitcom laugh track here), this makes the most logical sense. Rumple disappearing into thin air during the 3A finale is the closest thing we've seen visually on this show to Emma's current situation. I know a couple people here think Emma is still in Storybrooke after the black cloud overtook her, but the whole set up just made it seem like she was transported to another place, and the Dark One's vault makes a lot of sense.

Emma being in the Dark One's vault would also be a good way to tie Belle into the adventure because she's the only person who knows where to find the vault and how to use it. And then there would be a big sacrifice someone would have to make, because apparently the only way to release the Dark One from the vault is to use the key and sacrifice yourself like Neal did. So in theory, 5A could be broken up into several parts: 1) The search for the Dark One's vault and figuring out a way to release Emma, 2) Showing Emma inside the Dark One vault and perhaps showing her interacting with the souls of previous Dark Ones (which could be a fun loophole around Mr. Gold's frozen body in Storybrooke), and 3) The search for Merlin.

Damn it, show. You've made me all excited with this Dark Emma stuff and I keep having to remind myself to lower my expectations.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

Emma being in the Dark One's vault would also be a good way to tie Belle into the adventure because she's the only person who knows where to find the vault and how to use it.

That would be good for Belle. Unfortunately, Zelena knows all about the vault too.

And then there would be a big sacrifice someone would have to make, because apparently the only way to release the Dark One from the vault is to use the key and sacrifice yourself like Neal did.

Although there is that. I wonder if the "sacrifice" has to be willing or if it's just whoever has their hand magically forced onto the key. ("Hiya, Sis! I got a stuck door I need your help with.")

I would like some use of the well, though. Camelot is an implied part of the Enchanted Forest so it'd be convenient to go there. Maybe they can use the vault as a safe place to put a Dark One.

(edited)
And then there would be a big sacrifice someone would have to make, because apparently the only way to release the Dark One from the vault is to use the key and sacrifice yourself like Neal did.

I agree with half of this.  Emma did not die.  The dagger had her name on it, so she's not dead.  When Rumple died, the dagger went with him and when he was resurrected, the dagger was still with him.  All they would need is the key to the vault if anything.  The sacrifice was a life for a life.  And Belle would know where to find the key because she has her memories.  They'd have to go to the Dark One's castle and go to all of the Dark One's hunting ground.

Regardless, it seems sort of clear that they will be heading back to the Enchanted Forest.  One thing I like about the EF is the EF clothes.  I know, I'm just a shallow person.  Don't judge me.

ETA - 

Unfortunately, Zelena knows all about the vault too.

She's also pregnant and there's no way they're releasing her from her prison.  You know she'll only help them if they do something for her and I doubt she'd wanna help either Emma or Hook, no matter how big a CS shipper she is ;)

She hates all these people who have lost Emma.  She's not lifting a finger unless there's something in it for her.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 1

That would be good for Belle. Unfortunately, Zelena knows all about the vault too.

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping everyone is smart enough to leave Zelena locked in that cell for all of eternity.

Emma did not die. The dagger had her name on it, so she's not dead. When Rumple died, the dagger went with him and when he was resurrected, the dagger was still with him. All they would need is the key to the vault if anything.  The sacrifice was a life for a life. And Belle would know where to find the key because she has her memories.  They'd have to go to the Dark One's castle and go to all of the Dark One's hunting ground.

I guess I never really got whether or not Rumple died or just "kind of died." So you're probably right, they'd just have to find the key and open it. But it would definitely be more dramatic if they had to do a life for a life swap.

But it would definitely be more dramatic if they had to do a life for a life swap.

I've got a list of characters we can swap, but I think we all know it would have to be one of Snowing or Hook who makes that sacrifice, so let's not go there, ever!

I guess we'll find out more when ComiCon rolls around

(edited)

She's also pregnant and there's no way they're releasing her from her prison

Isn't it odd that they brought Zelena back, only to shove her in a jail cell and knock her up? What kind of story line is that, anyway? Are we just going to see her from time to time doing sonograms? It's strange to bring back a Big Bad then proceed to neutralize her and cut her off from nearly all character interaction. Sounds kinda pointless. At first I thought it was for Outlaw Queen angst, but after Regina's revelation in 4x20 that doesn't seem to be the case. It won't be remotely interesting until the baby is born, however that's years away in show time.

So I'm guessing they're either going to give her a new material that changes her situation or she'll be the next Will Scarlet.

Edited by KingOfHearts

The whole Zelena plot is weird.  Regina hasn't gone off the deep end because of her, she still got the guy and I guess found home (or her place in the world) and it sounds like the baby will be taken from Zelena as soon as it's born (which I will find in bad taste to be honest).

I'm guessing they'll be running two storylines, the big one which will be Emma as the Dark One and Regina's story with Zelena and Robin and how they deal with all of this.  

Here's the thing...I think they went down the whole baby route because they had no clue what to do with OQ after they've been reunited since they weren't planning on turning Regina back to her evil queen self again.  I don't think it matters how much they love Regina, they've run out of things to do with her.  I think they gave her her redemption arc and her happy ending way too soon.  Obviously, personal opinion and feel free to disagree with that.

Regarding Emma, just give me my boys adventure in the Enchanted Forest, Hook and David jump through a portal to find Emma and bring her home like they did with Snow and Emma in season 2.  I want it, I need it...

If someone is going to be willing to sacrifice himself to bring Emma back we know it would be Hook and thanks, but no. Not only it would destroy Emma, but it would be kind of repetitive. Hook already sacrificed himself for her and Henry this last episode.

But thinking about it, it would be the perfect redemption by death for Rumple. If this is really Carlyle last season, to go saving Emma after having try to kill her and destroy her life a couple of times would be cool.

• Love 4

Damn it, show. You've made me all excited with this Dark Emma stuff and I keep having to remind myself to lower my expectations.

This. The storyline has such potential. Not just for Emma but her close ones too. I can see Jen knocking all sorts of scenes out of the park. For me, this show runs on all cylinders when Emma is the focus.

But too many times we've been told Emma would be the focus or Emma would save the day only to get something else entirely. These writers cannot be trusted. I can only hope they have one last gem up their sleeve and we get something special again.

• Love 1
(edited)

Isn't it odd that they brought Zelena back, only to shove her in a jail cell and knock her up? What kind of story line is that, anyway?

Zelena locked up is full of potential.  It opens an opportunity for Zelena to meet the other inmates.  There could be a treasure trove of fairy tale characters of all types that haven't been exposed to Storybrooke yet.  It gives the show a chance to revisit some of the missed opportunities they rushed past in earlier seasons.

Edited by ParadoxLost
(edited)

Zelena locked up is full of potential.  It opens an opportunity for Zelena to meet the other inmates.  There could be a treasure trove of fairy tale characters of all types that haven't been exposed to Storybrooke yet.  It gives the show a chance to revisit some of the missed opportunities they rushed past in earlier seasons.

It also gives the writers the chance to just keep her locked away all 5A because they don't know what to do with her, which is my greatest fear. I really do hope they have a plan, but I'm struggling to think what it could be:

1) Zelena and Regina learn to get along, Regina forgives Zelena, she has the baby and all three find away to raise the kid together. This seems... unlikely?

2) Zelena has the baby but dies during/after childbirth, Regina and Robin raise the baby. Possible, but then Regina (and the show) is saddled with a baby, which limits their options with the character quite a bit.

3) Zelena has a miscarriage. Also possible, but a bit un-Disney-friendly?

4) Zelena isn't actually pregnant. Possible -- probable, even -- but a massive cop-out. 

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 3

I think they are going with option 2: Zelena has the baby and then dies, and Regina rises him/her as her own. This options lets A&E to delve into two of their favourite things: Regina is a wonderful mother (ha!) and Regina is wonderful person, full of forgiveness (double ha!). And this won't limit Regina's screentime, because the baby would be with Baby Neal and Roland in Offscreen Ville being taken care by Robin or Belle.

• Love 3
(edited)

It also gives the writers the chance to just keep her locked away all 5A because they don't know what to do with her, which is my greatest fear. I really do hope they have a plan, but I'm struggling to think what it could be:

The fifth option would be that Zelena has the baby and skips realms with it.  I guess that can be split into Robin knows the baby is out there somewhere or not. 

I prefer to hope that Zelena and the other inmates stage an escape and we learn that the escapees were mostly nutballs that give the Sheriff something to do like:

Humphrey Dumphrey is cracked in the head

The Emperor is streaking down mainstreet

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

I prefer to hope that Zelena and the other inmates stage an escape and we learn that the escapees were mostly nutballs that give the Sheriff something to do like:

Humphrey Dumphrey is cracked in the head

The Empower is streaking down mainstreet

Oh man, that would be fantastic. That could be an entire season. I didn't have a problem with the evil trio in 4B in theory, just that it was awkwardly shoehorned in with the author stuff. If they did an entire season with a different villain each week, I'd be all for it.

And I hadn't thought about Zelena just leaving with the baby, though yes, that's definitely viable. Though I would probably put that in the "writers don't have a plan" basket, because what would be the point of the storyline in the first place at that point?

• Love 2
(edited)

And I hadn't thought about Zelena just leaving with the baby, though yes, that's definitely viable. Though I would probably put that in the "writers don't have a plan" basket, because what would be the point of the storyline in the first place at that point?

I take it as a given that they don't have a plan.  Say what you will about the showrunners, but they have an extremely good eye for talent or employ someone that does and when they see a talented actor they sign them up for the show.  I don't think they ever figure out until later that they have more actors than they can tell story for in the format they have committed to and they never stop repeating the pattern. 

If you think about some of the actors they've just sat out on the bench its baffling.  But Regina, Snow, Emma, and Rumpel are the lead characters.  But it always feels like there is something wrong with writing it that way because all the main characters are played by actors that really could or have carried their own show rather than be in a supporting role.  Then you move onto the recurring and get dumbfounded that people they didn't use when they had the chance.

To fix this, they really need to abandon the current format.  As it is we get A plot, barely any detail on the B plot (sometimes no B plot) and then flashbacks that explain how the EF informed the A plot.  They need to remove the constraint that they must have a flashback to EF that explained how everything came about to give the show more time to breath, flesh out the B plot and maybe add a C plot from time to time.

Now, I could never watch this show if it was all Storybrooke, but I wish they would lighten up on the flashbacks and put a heavier fairy tale element in Storybrooke or have people split up for periods of time and spend each episode seeing real time what is happening in each realm.

Come to think of it, I also always wished that there was more of a multiple personality aspect to the cursed personalities vs. EF characters.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

Sometimes when we get the flashbacks, I wonder what's left to learn about some of the characters, like Snow and Regina for instance (and especially Regina since we basically know practically everything there is to know about her life now).  I thought her flashback was not necessary or at least shouldn't have been so very long that it ate up most of the show.  I get that maybe some Regina fans might not have believed the whole Regina poisoned herself so that she would not have children, but did we really need to know what led to that?  I mean we knew she didn't love Leopold, so maybe that's what pushed her there.  Maybe she had decided that it was Daniel the father and no one else. 

I'm fine with flashbacks as long as they make sense and don't eat up half the show.  The David flashback with Anna, still not over that.  That nearly ruined White Out for me.  

In any case, I'm sure we will be getting tons of Merlin flashbacks and I'm keeping Zelena locked up is not an option.  I'm thinking that maybe they'll try to repair the relationship between Zelena and Regina and I think they should just because that's the only blood relative she has.  Zelena knows a shit load of stuff about the dagger, the Dark One's vault.  I think she knows a lot more because she hates Rumple about as much as Hook does, but she's less of a hot head than he is and a lot more patient than he is, so I can see her having collected tons of information over the years.

I love Zelena's Rumple hatred so I'm guessing we might be getting scenes now that he's not the all powerful Dark One.  I mean she nearly killed him in the hospital (which again, I thought was awesome).  

I'm hoping they build their arcs in a cohesive manner and that the flashbacks will make sense.  I want them to focus on their umbrella arc and that's Emma and what's going on with her and the people she loves and how they're dealing with this and what they're doing to bring her back.

I wonder if maybe Emma poofed herself away because she didn't want to face the people she loved as the Dark One, but she left the dagger because she trusts them with it. She knows they won't make her do anything bad and won't let her do anything bad. That would explain her still being in Storybrooke in spite of her dramatic exit.

Also, she was taking on a whole lot of evil juice.  Leaving the dagger with them, when she believed they would de-evil her, makes a lot of sense.  She might not have trusted herself with it--how evil would she be, exactly?

(edited)

Should we expect to see the pale makeup in full force in 5A?  

If I never see the crypt keeper make up again it will be too soon.  Also, save me from glitter dip Rumpel likes to put on in the EF.

But I bet we'll see some physical transformation.  This will be especially true if they have Emma actually do something bad with the Dark One powers.  They'll want to make her two separate people like they do with Regina/Evil Queen.

Edited by ParadoxLost

If I never see the crypt keeper make up again it will be too soon. Also, save me from glitter dip Rumpel likes to put on in the EF.

But I bet we'll see some physical transformation. This will be especially true if they have Emma actually do something bad with the Dark One powers. They'll want to make her two separate people like they do with Regina/Evil Queen.

Well in this case, I could buy them splitting the character in two since the Dark One is really a separate entity. I think that's what they were portraying in the finale with the black cloud of evil.

Everyone else looks normal in Storybrooke including the previous Dark One, so I'd call foul if they suddenly decide to have Emma look different. I really wish they'd left us with an idea of whether she was in town or not but I suppose they didn't want to lock themselves in before they started writing next season. Personally, I'd much rather have her elsewhere for a while because it seems like it would be retread of 4B if Emma's fighting "darkness" while in Storybrooke.

Also, if she was in this world, she ought to just leave town. Take Hook and run off to Kauai until someone else finds Merlin. Her powers would be limited, everyone would be safer and how evil could you get living with a hot pirate in a garden paradise?

• Love 3

I like how the solution is unbelievably easy to anyone's magical problem. Just leave town! I love how 3 times last season, they fixed a problem by having Rumple banished, Marian leave and Chernabog go on the other side of the town line.

I bet something will happen that will not allow Emma to leave.

• Love 2

That is going to be the first of two issues they have to deal with to keep up the drama of Dark One Emma.

1. Seal town

2. Get dagger into the hands of the wrong person

Much like Hook and his heart last season, I really don't want to see her forced to do awful things against her will. I suppose it is inevitable that it will happen!

Who the hell would want to steal the dagger though? I mean is everyone going to be so busy with the Emma "problem" they won't realize there's a new player in town? Re gina is reformed, Rumple has been defanged, Zelena is locked up and pregnant. I don't see who would wanna take the dagger.

Maybe Shady decides to show her true colors and be the villain I know/want her to be? I think she'd be glorious!

It could be some newly invented villain from Camelot who will want to steal the Dagger.  Someone we see in the flashbacks, but the characters don't know.  Maybe another Evil Midwife type of storyline, until this characters gets close enough to steal the dagger.  

They could also reveal Rumple without the Dark One is still scheming.  He still has knowledge of many magical objects that he can use, and we already know that anyone can read a spell.  At some point, his cowardice can come into play again and he might steal the Dagger.

And finally, Zelena could become free at any time.  

They could also do a switcheroo with a character like Lily.  If she found out the only way she would learn about her father is to force the Dark One to do something, she might be tempted to do so.

Unfortunately, as ParadoxLost suggested, I think it would be too hard for the writers to resist having someone gaining control of Emma's dagger at some point in the arc.  Hopefully, Emma would be the first person in history to be able to resist the commands, maybe when she holds hands with Henry, Snow and Charming.

(edited)

I don't want to see dagger control as an issue at all. I was already highly disturbed by Zelena's control of Rumpel and then Rumpel's control of Hook, piling onto Emma by having her the slave to anyone with the dagger crosses the line into torture for me. At least the first two examples made some negative choices that led to another's controlling them making it karmic (though still really upsetting and wrong), Emma made a positive decision to save everyone, so it's just way too much to add on to everything else. 

I could see a desperate and power hungry Rumpel trying to get it to regain his power although wouldn't he just die again if he tried to reclaim his full power? Zelena with the dagger is plausible, but retread of 3B. Anyone trying to be helpful using the dagger is retread of 4A. Snowing have proven they'll throw the greater good under the bus the second someone they care about is threatened, so I don't want to see that scenario repeated. I'd really prefer it if the dagger doesn't have the control it has previously and we can just stop with the dagger control storylines because we've seen them and they aren't all that interesting anymore.

Edited by KAOS Agent

I'm curious how they will write Emma as The Dark One.  Will the change be that she has a more negative outlook?  Or will she lose her compassion?  Will she have less inhibitions to hurting others?  Will she just get angry easier?  Rumple as the Dark One was able to have feelings and even fall in love, so I can't see how being the Dark One will be that different for someone like Emma who at her core is a good person, not to mention she didn't kill the previous Dark One.

I can also see Rumple wanting to regain his power, either by becoming the Dark One again or by controlling the new Dark One. His thirst for power has been all-consuming up to this point. However, he is currently in a coma of sorts. And wasn't his heart just made pure? So, perhaps he won't want the same things he did before?

Rumple's heart went utterly blank -- clear, as opposed to the bright red of purity. We don't know what that means, but it seemed like the Apprentice had to put him into a kind of suspended animation to keep him alive until they could figure out what to do for him, so it sounds like the blank heart might not be capable of supporting life. When the darkness was removed, there was nothing left but an empty heart.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm curious how they will write Emma as The Dark One.  Will the change be that she has a more negative outlook?  Or will she lose her compassion?  Will she have less inhibitions to hurting others?  Will she just get angry easier?  Rumple as the Dark One was able to have feelings and even fall in love, so I can't see how being the Dark One will be that different for someone like Emma who at her core is a good person, not to mention she didn't kill the previous Dark One.

Rumple's actions as the Dark One always seemed to be rooted in his character flaws or insecurities from before he was the Dark One.  Basically a complete control freak that wants to amass power over everyone because he was a coward  that was afraid of everything (or at least saw himself that way or others treated him that way) and lost his family.

That's why this won't be as easy as Emma being a good person at her core.  I think we can expect to see Emma try to do things to combat her insecurities.  So we should expect extreme behavior to counteract her fear of abandonment or that she's not good enough. 

Unless they rewrite how the Dark Curse works, I think they'll have put someone with nefarious intent in control of the dagger to drag this into a half season arc.

Edited by ParadoxLost

It sounds like Dark!Emma is planned as a full season arc which is why I'm very wary about where they're going with it. There's only so much a person can take and come out reasonably normal on the other side. After Rumpel was placed in the coma, the Apprentice said that it would be very difficult for him to deal with the things he'd done in his centuries as the Dark One if/once he woke up. They played it like they might actually do consequences with his story. That part could be interesting.

I don't think it's a random thing that they're exploring the Dark One mythology in Season 5 either because I do think Robert Carlyle has a five year contract and is out at the end of the season. This is their shot to do it. He'll either be redeemed and shuffle off to live happily ever after with Belle or he'll die doing something dramatic in the end. The end would be up for debate because it might depend on whether this ends up being the last season of the show or it gets renewed.

• Love 2

If Rumple wants to be the Dark One again, it means he has to kill Emma, in which case , I can very easily see someone ending him. I don't think it was a coincidence that his hero self in the AU was not only knight hero, but also someone who had magic.

That being said, I think they're rebootin Rumple to redeem him.

I don't want to see dagger control as an issue at all. I was already highly disturbed by Zelena's control of Rumpel and then Rumpel's control of Hook, piling onto Emma by having her the slave to anyone with the dagger crosses the line into torture for me. At least the first two examples made some negative choices that led to another's controlling them making it karmic (though still really upsetting and wrong), Emma made a positive decision to save everyone, so it's just way too much to add on to everything else.

This. I'm really worried that, at some point during the season, someone is going to control Emma and make her do something terrible. And there are so many options: Merlin, Rumple, Zelena, Lily, Maleficent, Morgana (if they bring more Camelot characters), hell, even Regina if they decide to have her relapse.

But what bothers me the most about this storyline is that Emma did something incredibly brave, sacrificing herself for the greater good, and I hate that the consequence of such an heroic act is going to be pure darkness and evilness.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm almost sure Emma as the Dark One wont' be full-season, but I guess it's quite possible that the halves will be more connected than random Queens of Darkness after Elsa and co. I think by the midseason finale, Emma will either get rid of her darkness or otherwise suppress it (or maybe somebody steals it (if Lily becomes a regular, my money's on her) and then they'll have to fight this person). So, overall, I think it's the Dark One curse that will be the subject of the season, hopefully with all that it entails (please, tell us about fairies! Please!)

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1