Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, morriss said:

Just imagine how many more points Kareem could have scored if he had been allowed to run half the court carrying the ball like players nowadays are allowed to do.    🏀

Well, I think it's fair to say a seven footer shouldn't be running up the court with the ball on a regular basis.  He just had to settle for spending a lot of time with Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson.

13 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

A dizzying afternoon of trades. Can't keep up anymore.

44(!) second round picks were moved around. Part of me thinks they're included just to make the list of assets traded longer.  Sure, you can get lucky, but most of the time second round picks are destined for riding the bench at best.

Bizarre trade drama happening. Gary Payton II had been traded back to the GSW from the Blazers, but he failed a physical. Apparently he had been playing in Portland with a torn muscle that will require several months of rehab, but the Blazers had told him to keep playing. Now he might have to stay in Portland.

• Mind Blown 3

Somehow, it's typical of the Warriors' doomed season that the one guy they trade for (Gary Payton II) has an undisclosed injury that will keep him sidelined for probably the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, apparently Steph is still stationary bike only. 

Also, there's a lot of talk on reddit about how Steph demanded the FO trade James Wiseman. Wonder what the tea is there.

• Like 1

While I'm not going to say it was the best dunk contest ever, I'm glad to see Mac win it.  I was pretty much "warned" by Jason McIntyre about the rather decent chances on Friday.  Not a bet I'd make in terms of betting the house/my life, but the G-League player totally brought it.

Damn, meanwhile won the 3-point contest which wasn't that competitive.  The skills segment was more than okay

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Apparently tonight’s draft is going to be in reverse order from reserves to starters so “no one has the indignity of getting picked last”.  My eyes rolled so hard I could see tomorrow.

Twitter is roasting this choice so hard.

The last reserve picked is going to be the "one getting picked last" so what problem does it actually solve?

8 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I've never really gotten the point of All Star games.

Tonight's All Star Game was OK. It was certainly better than last year. Frankly, I could careless who won tonight. BTW, Team Giannis 184 - Team LeBron 175 & Jayson Tatum got the MVP with 55 points.

Also, I didn't know that Jayson Tatum got the record for most points in the All Star Game with 55. I thought that Steph got the record from last year. But, it turned out that Street Clothes had the record with 52. 

6 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I've never really gotten the point of All Star games.

You get to (in theory) see the best players on the same team showing off their skills?  No, it's not really answering the question of what player X with player Y would be like since they don't play defense and everyone can set aside their ego for one meaningless exhibition, but it's something. 

3 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Apparently most people don't care about the All-Star game

Of course we already knew that, but if they were looking for more proof......

Cambridgeguy...I agree.  This game used to have both offense AND defense.  Now it looks like a bunch of guys at the Y, not really caring about the outcome.  No defense, just long bounce passes to a totally uncovered  big guy who gets to dunk in spectacular ways.  Oh well. 😒

• Like 1

You know it's sad when the players put more effort toward their summer league (during the offseason) than the NBA All-Star game, as mentioned by SAS.  Plus, don't schedule a game on Sunday nights post Super Bowl

13 hours ago, LexieLily said:

The Lakers did have a very nice comeback win today against Dallas but it's hilarious how transparent  ESPN, etc. are about wanting the Lakers to move into play-in position. 

From being down 27 points & LeBron not being 100% with his foot (He will be fine, BTW. There is nothing to worry about.), That was a very nice comeback win for the Lakers. It moved them to 12th place in the Western Conference. BTW, the Lakers are not very far away from 6th place. They're only 2.5 games behind the 6th place Mavericks. Getting to 6th place & avoiding the Play-In Games is very doable for the Lakers. 

As for the Mavericks, Kyrie & Luca haven't been together for very long & its already turning out to be a bust.

Speaking of very nice, Damian Lillard got 71 points while making 13 3-pointers in beating up on the sucky Rockets 131-114. 

On 2/27/2023 at 10:12 AM, Magog said:

From being down 27 points & LeBron not being 100% with his foot (He will be fine, BTW. There is nothing to worry about.), That was a very nice comeback win for the Lakers. It moved them to 12th place in the Western Conference. BTW, the Lakers are not very far away from 6th place. They're only 2.5 games behind the 6th place Mavericks. Getting to 6th place & avoiding the Play-In Games is very doable for the Lakers. 

If by fine you mean out for at least two weeks and likely longer, then you called it.

If the Lakers crash and burn in that time there's really no reason for him to come back this season.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

If the Lakers crash and burn in that time there's really no reason for him to come back this season.

If Los Angeles crashes & burns, there's no real reason for him to come back, period

• Like 3

I really doubt the Lakers will make the playoffs. Something is off with the team and needs to be done.

I am rooting for the Warriors tho who have been hit and miss all season tho so what do I know lol.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Carey said:

If Los Angeles crashes & burns, there's no real reason for him to come back, period

There's that pesky contract, plus Lebron probably likes being in LA.  Maybe he also has a handshake deal for LA to draft his kid in a couple of years too.

• LOL 1
(edited)

There's that pesky contract, plus Lebron probably likes being in LA.  Maybe he also has a handshake deal for LA to draft his kid in a couple of years too.

The Lakers are not going to have any Draft Picks in 2024 to get Bronny James. Or if they somehow get Draft Picks for 2024, they certainly will not be in position to draft Bronny. Besides, I don't even know if Bronny James is going to be half as good as his father & it certainly won't happen if by some type of miracle the Lakers draft him. I also don't want Bronny to drafted by the Bulls, those Warriors, or (especially) the Knicks when the 2024 Draft comes around.

Edited by Magog
(edited)

I bet lebron doesn't play again this season.  

After he broke the record then was 'injured' pre all star break I thought he wouldn't play again this season. 

Well he played a game or two snd now another mysterious 'injury'   he's done this year. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
30 minutes ago, twoods said:

I don’t think it’s a mystery injury. He was clearly in pain and felt a pop in the last game, but I agree it’s doubtful he would play much more this season.

He's in pain every time someone touches him or he stubs his toe.  We've seen this before with him.  Minor stuff you'd think a very well built huge athlete can handle and he's on the ground or saying he's in pain

Nothing on the replay showed evidence of significant injury.  

• Useful 2

Ja morant is a piece of work and is headed down a dangerous path. 

The sad part is no one is stopping him. His family and his entourage encourage it. His coach doesn't seem to cars based on him saying 'I'm just going to make sure he knows he's cared for going forward'.  Wtf does that mean?  If you cared for him you'd sit him down say 'cut the crap, play the game tell your entourage to shut up and stay out of things or you're headed to a horrible ending'  

They keep falling back on 'no charges were filed' so everything is fine. 

All this stuff in the article has been in a calendar year. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ja-morant-reportedly-accused-of-repeatedly-punching-teenage-boy-in-head-threatening-him-with-gun-last-summer-194652437.html

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
(edited)

Is anybody even remotely surprised that the Clippers suck right now & there is very good chance that if they get in the Playoffs, they will lose in the 1st Round? The Clippers basically lay down & play dead in the 3rd Quarter, basically getting their asses kicked by those Warriors 115-91. Jordan Poole got 22 points in the 3rd Quarter in the ass whopping while Steph was being Steph (😒) by showing his usual excitement & smugness during the entire game. Those Warriors are always finding ways to bring me prolonged agony & they just won't go away. They're very similar to those bedbugs. 

I don't know why people in the NBA always think that the NBA is always better when the Knicks are good. The Knicks haven't won it all in 50 years & had their moments during the 90's. Yet, we really need the Knicks to be good again to make the NBA even more fun again. I really hope the Cavaliers put the Knicks in their place where they belong if they meet in the Playoffs. Seeing the Knicks get the 2nd round of the NBA Playoffs will really pissed me off.

Edited by Magog
15 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Hey, who knew that brandishing a gun in an instagram video is a bad idea?

Apparently not Ja Morant, who is going to get a few days to think about it since he'll be "away from the team" for at least its next two games.

To "steal a line" from mojoween that was made about a week ago: I gave a sad reaction because there isn't an ANGRY or pissed off reaction here.

I thought of giving the laughing one.  In doing so, I'd be indicating this isn't funny, but rather someone laughing at such a bad look & situation here.

C'Mon, Ja Morant.  Gotta be better than that.  Not just in 2023, just any year, period.

• Like 4

Ja morant is headed done a very sad and dangerous path. 

Two games won't change that.  This is where a serious coach or gm or someone outside his family and circle needs to step in and tell him to cut the crap, stop being stupid and mature quickly or else his talent is going to waste. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Two games won't change that.  This is where a serious coach or gm or someone outside his family and circle needs to step in and tell him to cut the crap, stop being stupid and mature quickly or else his talent is going to waste. 

Agreed. He's putting his career in jeopardy at the very least. At worst, he's going to get himself or someone else hurt or even killed eventually. 

• Applause 3
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I know it will never happen because athletes and other people will complain about being robbed of their agency, their freedom, etc.  However, what a lot of these guys would benefit from is a 3rd party financial adviser who will put the majority of their paycheck in the a low risk option AND some chaperones/bodyguards who will keep them from doing something stupid.  That applies to any young person who's suddenly making millions.

• Like 1

Watched the Lakers halftime because they were retiring Gasol’s jersey, and I lost it when they showed a video of Kobe talking about he can’t wait to be there and celebrate with Pau when his jersey was going to be retired.  He gave a great speech as well- such a classy guy. 

• Hugs 3
On 3/5/2023 at 5:48 AM, cambridgeguy said:

I know it will never happen because athletes and other people will complain about being robbed of their agency, their freedom, etc.  However, what a lot of these guys would benefit from is a 3rd party financial adviser who will put the majority of their paycheck in the a low risk option AND some chaperones/bodyguards who will keep them from doing something stupid.  That applies to any young person who's suddenly making millions.

The thing is, a lot of these guys DO have those people, but the men they hire don't have the athlete's best interest at heart. They're hangeron-ers and out for themselves. 

• Like 8

😒 Gee, I'm sure as "thrilled" that Steph was back being Steph again by leading those Warriors to that comeback OT win (being down by 8 with a couple of minutes to go in the game) again the Bucks last night. 

I was most certainly enjoying those Warriors continue to suck on the road when he came back this week. They're now 7-26 on the road, so hopefully that will somehow continue in the Playoffs. 

Tonight's game on ESPN between the Knicks - Lakers will be downright excruciating(😒). 2 very loathsome unrootable teams & LeBron is still out. At least, Street Clothes is helping to keep the Lakers afloat while LeBron is trying to heal up with that foot injury. 

Last night, Fairleigh Dickinson definitely put a smile on my face. Maxi Kleber & the Dallas Mavericks really put a smile on my face. 

Maxi Kleber Game Winning 3 to beat the Lakers

Final 3 minutes of Mavericks (111) - Lakers (110)

Street Clothes was a big help in the Lakers losing that must-win game last night.

Between Fairleigh Dickinson winning, the Cavaliers winning, the Lakers blowing it at the end, & those Warriors losing yet another road game, it was a perfect night of basketball for me. 

• Like 1

A couple of days ago, Knicks legend Willis Reed passed away at age 80. He helped the Knicks win their 2 championships in 1970 & 1973 (Both of them against the Lakers). He also was a big help in their first championship in Game 7 when he started despite a thigh injury he got in Game 5. He scored the first 2 baskets for the Knicks & the Knicks never looked back in their 1st title win. He will most certainly be missed. 

Paul George injured his leg a couple of days ago & it did not look good. It looks like he might be out for a while & the Clippers are going to suffer dearly because of it. They'll be lucky if they win a 1st round series. 

As for the Lakers, they're currently in 10th place, but 6th place is still reachable. 

As for those Warriors, they finally won 2 in a row on the road by beating the Mavericks last night. Yay. 😒

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1