Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

57 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Draymond, Klay and Poole will all need to play better than that, and GPII needs to get back into the rotation. Hopefully this game woke them up - the Celtics aren't a pushover.

Draymond needs to commit to his whole "I don't shoot the ball" role.  He was 2 for 12 - that's almost as bad as Jayson Tatum!

1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

Draymond needs to commit to his whole "I don't shoot the ball" role.  He was 2 for 12 - that's almost as bad as Jayson Tatum!

I can't believe he took twelve shots. That's crazy for him.

10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

*high-fives @Magog* Not so fun being on the business end of a 17-0 run, is it, GSW?

Damn right. 1 down, 3 more to go. I know that those idiots on ESPN & on that piss poor NBA Countdown were absolutely shocked & utterly disgusted that their Warriors (they all picked them to win which its not a surprise) went down in heap in the 4th Quarter (losing a 12 point lead & being outscored 40-16 in the 4th Quarter). Hopefully, the Celtics won't lay down & play dead in Game 2. They need to keep those Warriors on their heels in Game 2 like they did in the 4th Quarter. 

Seeing Steph taking that walk of shame to the locker room after those Warriors lose Game 1 really melted my heart & put a smile on my face. Hopefully, we will see a repeat performance of that in Game 2. 

Speaking of Steph, I thought it was going to be a very miserable night for me when he got 21 points & 6 3-pointers in the 1st Quarter. I seriously thought that he was finally going to get 50 or more points in an NBA Finals game. Thankfully, that didn't happen. 

• Love 2
(edited)

My Dad's from Philadelphia, it's in my DNA to hate all Boston teams and I do.  My earliest sports memories are about the Sixers-Celtics rivalry of the early 80s.  Hate is probably not strong enough of a word to describe how I felt about Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Ainge, all those fuckers.  

Yet here I am forty years later rooting for the Celtics in the NBA Finals.  I'm with LexieLily and Magog, the Golden State Warriors are beyond loathsome and their fanbase barely existed less than ten years ago.  They deserve nothing but contempt.  

Edited by Mean Machine
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Draymond needs to commit to his whole "I don't shoot the ball" role.  

Ben Simmons is available for consultation!

As a Boston fan, I've felt no particular antipathy over the years to the Warriors during the championship run. They haven't crossed paths in any meaningful way with the Celtics, and they were usually battling bigger blights on the Earth. So while I hope Boston wins, I don't hate the Warriors. Yet.

• Love 1

As a Lakers fan, I feel absolutely dirty rooting for the Celtics but here I am. At least if the Warriors win I will hate it but be happy that the Celtics lost. What a tangled web to weave. 

• LOL 4
35 minutes ago, twoods said:

As a Lakers fan, I feel absolutely dirty rooting for the Celtics but here I am. At least if the Warriors win I will hate it but be happy that the Celtics lost. What a tangled web to weave. 

As a Rockets fan, I have to agree.  It was really satisfying watching that game last night.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

Well I don’t find GSW loathsome except for Draymond. I actually don’t understand how so much of the fan base of the NBA seems to think players are actually bad people. NBA stars are known as the nicest group of athletes.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PepSinger said:
On 6/3/2022 at 12:45 PM, xaxat said:

Mods, could you add "and WNBA" to the title of this thread?

I second this request.

I think someone could start a new thread as I don't see a problem with why not.  To be honest, I thought there already was a thread

On 6/3/2022 at 6:21 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

Well I don’t find GSW loathsome except for Draymond. I actually don’t understand how so much of the fan base of the NBA seems to think players are actually bad people. NBA stars are known as the nicest group of athletes.

I've come around to be okay with Draymond.  Some of the stuff he's done on the court is probably cause to hate him.  However, people don't know Green.  Or anyone in the sport (or other professional sports).  A lot of people tend to think that what they see on television is enough to be in a group of people that "know that guy".

Outside of actually knowing a professional athlete (or actor, musician, etc), people don't know them.  You saw them in action, that doesn't equate to to knowing them like a family, friend, classmate, coworker, or whatever else.  Then whenever someone famous does or did something unethical (or says/said something unpopular), then they're sorta stunned by it (to where they feel betrayed, which ain't the case really).  Chances are Dray is a decent human being.  Maybe he's not that nice.  Doesn't mean he's the opposite either.  Ditto everyone else.  For what it's worth, there are a lot of people worse than GS No. 23 (that people probably would not admit) that may or may not appear sweet in the public eye

• Love 1

For some reason I don’t like Boston. I can’t explain why I just don’t lol. I like the Warriors too so I really hope they can figure it out. Rocco’s dad needs another championship lol. Sorry I have a bulldog and just love them.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Carey said:

I think someone could start a new thread as I don't see a problem with why not.  To be honest, I thought there already was a thread

They could get a separate thread, but I view them as sibling organizations. The NBA established the WNBA. In some cases the teams have common ownership/arenas. There are coaches who have experiences in both leagues (Becky Hammon, Derek Fisher etc.) and the players share many of the stances on social justice issues. For example, The Celtics are going to wear shirts in support of detained WNBA star Brittney Griner.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Adam Silver said earlier today that the Warriors being back in the Finals is a good thing for basketball fans. Steve Javie, the NBA officiating analyst, admitted on a broadcast that referees use 'selective enforcement' for certain players/fouls (protecting key players if they're in foul trouble and/or already have one technical).

Congrats, NBA. You got your 1-1 split. I don't know about you, @Magog, but this is why I won't root for the Warriors. Too much PTSD from the annual Warriors/Rockets series.'

Edited by LexieLily
  • LOL 1

I'm not a Boston fan, so I'm not going to lose sleep over them losing Game 2.  In a professional sport where you have to win 4 games in the final segment of the postseason, you're probably going to get business BS to prevent an early end to a season.  As mentioned, the refs weren't the reason for the Celtics losing, but it's not a good look when officiating comes into question.

TBH, I couldn't picture Golden State losing both of their first two games with home court advantage to start the NBA Finals

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Congrats, NBA. You got your 1-1 split. I don't know about you, @Magog, but this is why I won't root for the Warriors. Too much PTSD from the annual Warriors/Rockets series.'

Oh that is great. I remember every year that the Rockets were an actual contender (usually starring the King of Dive, James Harden) and the fan base there would go entirely delusional about what the refs were doing to give the Warriors an advantage, when the free throw ratio was wildly skewed towards the Rockets. Now Harden is infecting another unfortunate franchise so its Houston's chance to rebuild, retool and win something not on the Internet.

• Love 3

That's more like it! The patented 3rd quarter run is BACK! 

I can't believe Boston threw in the towel so early in the 4th. They could have at least tried. It's the FINALS! 

So many exclamation points tonight. I need a xanax. 😀

• Sad 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

That's more like it! The patented 3rd quarter run is BACK! 

I can't believe Boston threw in the towel so early in the 4th. They could have at least tried. It's the FINALS! 

I was basically hiding behind the couch, frankly. The loss in Game One hurt me so much that I was quite terrified that the Dubs would be found wanting. But no, the fault is in me for doubting Steph & Co. The late Poole Party was especially fun. On to Boston! I think Steve Kerr and the Warriors coaching team has got this sussed.

Edited by isalicat
Because I confused a past opponent with a current one!
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Adam Silver said earlier today that the Warriors being back in the Finals is a good thing for basketball fans.

Of course, he is supposed to say that. 

11 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Its 1-1 right now, but I'm not happy about last night. Sadly, the Celtics lay down & play dead in the 3rd Quarter & the game was over by the end of the 3rd Quarter. And them turning the ball over during that game (especially the 3rd Quarter) was very detrimental to them. The Celtics didn't come out like gangbusters ready to take care of business in Game 2 & it showed throughout the night. Overall, Game 2 flat out sucked & Steph showing his happiness in Game 2 was stomach-turning. 

10 hours ago, isalicat said:

Oh that is great. I remember every year that the Rockets were an actual contender (usually starring the King of Dive, James Harden) and the fan base there would go entirely delusional about what the refs were doing to give the Warriors an advantage, when the free throw ratio was wildly skewed towards the Rockets

I'm sure that the refs helped them not get the job done in Games 6 & 7 (they were winning both at halftime) & also go 0-27 from 3-pointers.

8 hours ago, isalicat said:

I was basically hiding behind the couch, frankly. The loss in Game One hurt me so much that I was quite terrified that the Dubs would be found wanting. But no, the fault is in me for doubting Steph & Co.

🙄

I find that very laughable that anybody from Dub Nation was scared & terrified about those Warriors losing Game 1. ESPN was sad about Game 1. But, you didn't see them scared & terrified that their Warriors might lose Game 2 & possibly the series. They're all in on those Warriors & Steph Curry. 

9 hours ago, isalicat said:

The late Poole Party was especially fun.

Eating wasabi is more fun than that. As if I need another person from those vile Warriors to despise.

9 hours ago, isalicat said:

I need a puke bucket.

If the Warriors fire on all cylinders, the Celtics can't live with them. This game was a huge improvement, but Klay is still misfiring and Wiggins slightly underperformed his customary 17 points.

GPII being back is huge, because he's such a mood-setter for the team. Poole got over his game one nerves and hit some crazy shots.

One thing I had a laugh about was the people on r/nba pointing out that Boston have way more average white guys as backups than other teams, which fits the 'Boston sports fans are surprisingly racist' stereotype.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The ferocious defenses in this Finals series remind me of the 1980s Knicks and mid-80s Pistons...lots of defensive contact (also known as "brawl ball").  I especially noticed thE Warriors' Draymond Green literally flattening Grant Williams...from behind. Ouch!

For some reason, I could actually see Draymond getting kicked out in Game 3.  As mentioned, the league doesn't really call a ton in this segment of the season, but they might want to keep things under control.  That sorta would mess with Boston & their "physicality" but their fans might actually get to Green to where the game could go off the rails

• Useful 1
54 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

YAY Boston! Two down, two more to go!

The Celtics tried to give that game away in the 3rd Quarter while Steph was being Steph (scoring 15 points in the 3rd Quarter) & giving me massive heartburns as usual doing it. Thankfully, the Celtics provided that Maalox Relief in that 4th Quarter to keep those Warriors away. I can sleep well tonight because of it. 

As for Steph, he tried his damnest to win that game for those Warriors (31 points) & he failed (😄). He had to take that walk of shame to the locker room tonight & it made me happy. Hopefully, we will see that from him 2 more times. BTW, there is nothing wrong with his foot in that scramble for the ball. He is just hurt that those Warriors lost. He will be fine for Game 4.

And Klay Thompson got 25 points tonight so that should put to an end to some people on ESPN thinking that he's in a slump. He was never in a slump. He's just missing shots at the moment & there is nothing wrong with him. 

On 6/7/2022 at 10:56 PM, Carey said:

For some reason, I could actually see Draymond getting kicked out in Game 3. 

He did get kicked out of the game by fouling out & scoring only 2 points. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Magog said:

He did get kicked out of the game by fouling out & scoring only 2 points. 

Getting kicked out would have given him more time to prep his son for the post game press conference.  They really need to stop players from bringing their kids to those. 

• Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Magog must be happy -- apparently Steph is hurt. 

Steph is not hurt. The only thing hurting Steph right now is that they lost. He will be ready to go in Game 4. Hopefully on Friday Night, we will see another dose of failure for those Warriors despite Steph trying to find a way to victory.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 3
Just now, Lady Whistleup said:

Looks like Steph is going to drag the Dubs kicking and screaming through the finals.

He will have to if they keep this up.  

Klay looks awful.  Green isn't adding much. Wiseman contributed but overall they struggled beyond steph.

But I can't stand watching Boston win another title so the warriors better find a way

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

He will have to if they keep this up.  

Klay looks awful.  Green isn't adding much. Wiseman contributed but overall they struggled beyond steph.

But I can't stand watching Boston win another title so the warriors better find a way

You mean Looney. Wiseman is still out with an injury.

Dray needs to talk less and play more. I'm glad he's podcasting and what not but right now he's having an awful series and was actually benched for much of the 4th quarter.

Klay I feel bad about. The guy's body is obviously just wrecked from two back to back injuries. He still has moments but he reminds me of post-Achilles Kobe Bryant, who also had moments of greatness but was a shell of his former self.

(edited)

Well, this series is going at least 6, so we may still see Game 6 Klay. 😁

I don't want this to go 7. That's my birthday, and I don't want it wrecked like the Cavs did back in '16. Shittiest birthday ever. 😥

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Dray needs to talk less and play more. I'm glad he's podcasting and what not but right now he's having an awful series and was actually benched for much of the 4th quarter.

Klay I feel bad about. The guy's body is obviously just wrecked from two back to back injuries. He still has moments but he reminds me of post-Achilles Kobe Bryant, who also had moments of greatness but was a shell of his former self.

I think Draymond has one eye on retirement already. He's talking about his podcast as work and tacitly putting it on an equal footing with his actual basketball career. I don't blame him for setting up media opportunities, and he'll surely be a fixture on Basketball coverage once he retires, but he's got more important things to worry about right now.

Kerr taking him out in the 4th quarter should have been a huge wakeup call for him. when Otto Porter and Bjelica are trusted more on defense than you in crunch minutes, something is seriously wrong.

The Celtics' defense is having good success against the Warriors, but just cannot deal with Steph. They manage to limit everyone else but he just goes off, and if they go all in on stopping him, they'll have to abandon their successful covering of Klay, Poole and Wiggins.

7 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I meant Wiggins not Wiseman. 

8 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Well, this series is going at least 6, so we may still see Game 6 Klay. 😁

God, I hope not.

8 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I don't want this to go 7. That's my birthday, and I don't want it wrecked like the Cavs did back in '16. Shittiest birthday ever. 😥

😁 🤣 😂 Probably the greatest sporting night of my life. It brought me so much joy & happiness. I also know that those Warriors bootlicker Stephen A Smith is still absolutely disgusted about that.

Speaking of joy & happiness, Game 4 last night was the complete opposite of that, especially in the 2nd Half. (🤬) ESPN's Golden Boy & Darth Vader's favorite son brought me even more anguish & agony by willing those vile scummy Warriors to victory (107-97) by scoring 43 points. I didn't get a very good night sleep last night because of Steph being Steph. 

The Celtics fell flat on their face in the 2nd Half & I have to hope they wake the hell up in Game 5 & get back on track. It pissed me off that they possibly woke up those Warriors & help them give them new life & energy.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Magog said:

I didn't get a very good night sleep last night because of Steph being Steph. 

Omg. LOL. I've never actually lost sleep over a basketball game. 😄

Anyway, Jayson Tatum has been having an awful series.

20 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Omg. LOL. I've never actually lost sleep over a basketball game. 😄

I have.  Yep; I watched a game, stuck around for the postgame and analysis, and posted on Social Media  & the Internet about the game.  The only thing left to do was turn in, but by the time I was done with the above, it was time for work

• LOL 3