Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Well the Dubs certainly did not find it easy but the Nuggets must go home now, bye, bye!!!

Seriously, my Warriors better get a lot less sloppy for the next round or it will not go well. Only Steph's sheer will to win plus Young Glove's innate brilliance carried the night.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I'm surprised that those Warriors didn't lay waste on the Nuggets tonight like I thought they would. They waited till the 4th Quarter to finish them off. Now, we need the Grizzlies to meet them next round so that they can wipe that smile off Steph's face like they did in the Play-in last season.

BTW, the real villains (those Warriors) are still here. Some people thought Trey Young is a villain (I don't) or that the Nets are villains (Ben Simmons is definitely a villain). But, when it comes to real villainy, those Warriors are pure experts in that part.

Edited by Magog

I know there are several that aren't fans of the Dubs, but I'm so glad that they won tonight.  Like Doc Rivers, there is a precedent in terms of blowing things in historic fashion.  I did have more optimism for Golden State.  Plus, I don't know if Jokic would be able to make it and carry Denver going forward due to the injury he suffered

• Love 1

So glad Golden State won. When Gary Payton jr. Got that late 3 it panned to his dad in the crowd and I just thought it was cute how he was all proud.

Bucks won too another yay. I hope they beat Boston coming up.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 4

The Warriors will have their hands full with the Grizzlies, assuming they beat Minnesota in game six. It will be an interesting small ball matchup, because I doubt either team will get much out of their bigs.

If the Warriors fire on all cylinders, they'll have too much for the Grizzlies, too much for anyone.

• Love 4
On 4/27/2022 at 12:51 AM, emmawoodhouse said:

There may be a vacancy much closer to Wright if Philly totally implodes.

Sounds like Doc is feeling the heat.  Yeah, my Orlando team sucked, my Clippers team was hobbled without a healthy Chris Paul, and that last one was my fault (but was also in the bubble, so asterisk!).  If Philly blows this one I can't imagine the fallout, especially if Harden adds to his string of mediocre playoff performances.

• Love 2

That was a sweet emotional moment between Willie Green and Monty Williams as well as Willie Green with Chris Paul and others. You could see how hard Willie and the Pelicans worked and what this season and series meant to them. Willie did a wonderful job with the Pelicans this year. They didn't have high expectations earlier on this season. But they pulled it together and made the playoffs. They really put a up a good fight against the Suns and almost pushed it to a seven-game series. Brandon Ingram has developed nicely and is really coming into his own as a young player. I think the team is in good hands with Coach Green. 

One good thing about this year's playoffs is how well the younger players are playing and seeing how much they've grown since they first entered the league. Brandon, Jayson Taytum, Tyrese Maxie and others have had some great performances and have shown good growth as players. It's nice to see and it's promising for the future of the league. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Joel Embiid has a scary-sounding injury and will be out indefinitely. Also in concussion protocols.

The Sixers were up by twenty for most of the second half last night. Why was he still in the game?!

• Love 2

Embiid was out for 3 weeks the last time he had this type of injury, but he required surgery. They haven't said yet if he could need surgery this time. It's a scary injury though, if he tries to come back too soon he could potentially risk his sight in that eye. I don't think the Sixers could have gone all the way this year, but I think this effectively kills any chance they might have had.

• Useful 2
16 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Minnesota was the better team for 75% of this series but they couldn't close out games. 

I call it "Utah Jazz syndrome"....you have to play all the way to the end, people!

• Love 1

After multiple first-round losses the past five or so years, including this one when Dallas was without Luka for three of the six games, is Utah going to move on from Mitchell and/or Gobert and start over?

37 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

After multiple first-round losses the past five or so years, including this one when Dallas was without Luka for three of the six games, is Utah going to move on from Mitchell and/or Gobert and start over?

The rumours were already flying before the playoffs, and they're in overdrive now.

I've seen 'Mitchell to the Knicks', 'Gobert to the Nets' 'anyone to the Lakers that will give LeBron another ring' and I'm sure there will be lots more.

As with Damian Lillard in Portland, the media are likely to find that it's harder to trade some guys than they imagine. I just don't think many teams will want to meet the price that Utah sets for either player.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Gobert and Mitchell apparently don't mesh well personally and Mitchell wants Gobert gone.

Before the March 2020 Covid shutdown, or since? 

2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

What happened that I missed? *gets out popcorn*

There's just been all sorts of rumors of tension. Fans started noticing that even though Donovan is the PG and Rudy is the center, Donovan rarely ever passed to Gobert. Frosty body language. When asked about it Gobert has given mixed answers.

I think mostly it's that this team falls apart during the playoffs. Apparently Mitchell's family is in the NY area and he wants to move back, and Gobert wants to go to Dallas and play with Luka and JKidd.

1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

Jordan Poole is trying to get as famous as his cousin Jordan Peele. (Joke, in case you were tempted to look it up.)

Lmao I was about to google it.

I am going to die of stress induced heart failure if the refs do that again to us...but not before cursing them (the refs) into oblivion and beyond. No one out there thinks that was a Flagrant 2, so the Warriors front office have hopefully already filed an appeal. But we won!! anyways. Thank God there is no point differential counted in the NBA! See you again Tuesday Memphis! (wish I were there - I could so spend three days eating Memphis food!)

• Love 2

Great defensive plays by Klay and Steph to ice that game. Everything was stacked against the Warriors - in Memphis with Ja looking good, Draymond ejected, refs making baffling decisions and no one but Jordan Poole really playing well - and they still pulled out the win.

1 hour ago, twoods said:

I don’t understand how two adult men can’t just grow the hell up and get along on the court for the sake of the team. Kobe and Shaq weren’t fond of each other but put their differences aside and won championships. Freaking selfish.

The NBA seems cursed by the fact that the teams are so small, and individual players can be such difference makers, to the point that the iso is a legitimate tactic for a lot of players. It breeds huge egos and huge amounts of player power that you don't really see in other team sports.

For all that someone like Tom Brady or Aaron Donald or Mike Trout can do on a field, they're still very aware that they're just one piece in a team that needs to function well to win. But in the NBA, a lot of the top players seem to think 'I'm all you need, just put people around me to make up the numbers.'

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

It's not just that. The world of elite basketball is a tiny, insular world where everyone knows everyone else from childhood. It creates these rivalries and grudges (and also friendships) that starts from the time you're like 12 to D1 college basketball to the pros. If two superstars on the court are beefing, best believe these two probably haven't like each other for years. 

As an example, here is Brad Beal coaching his AAU team:

You might have noticed that one kid in the video looks familiar. That's Caleb Love, who is currently playing a starter for the UNC Tarheels. Caleb Love grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, where his coach was Justin Tatum. Justin Tatum just happened to be the dad of ... drumroll ... Jayson Tatum! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

It's not just that. The world of elite basketball is a tiny, insular world where everyone knows everyone else from childhood.

Specifically about Mitchell and Gobert though, Gobert was born and raised in France and came up through the French professional system for elite teens, rather than coming to America for the elite high schools + AAU -> Division 1 pipeline.

(edited)
15 hours ago, Marley said:

Yay Golden state! Exciting end to the game.

😣

About as exciting as drinking cough syrup. What a nice way for my weekend to get ruined. Hopefully, the Grizzlies can get off the mat & come back strong on Tuesday Night. A win from them on Tuesday Night is a must. I can't stomach another walk in the park series from those Warriors.

On 4/30/2022 at 5:44 PM, Danny Franks said:

I've seen 'Mitchell to the Knicks', 'Gobert to the Nets' 'anyone to the Lakers that will give LeBron another ring' and I'm sure there will be lots more.

So there is potential for Donovan Mitchell to go from one sorry team (Utah Jazz) to another sorry team (NY Knicks). He has shown that as good of a player he is, he can't lead the Utah Jazz to the next level. So I don't know why people think he would be much of a help for the Knicks if he find his way there. 

BTW, are either Mitchell or Gobert free agents come July 1?

Edited by Magog
  • LOL 1

The fact is: there is some good that'll come from this series between Miami & Philadelphia. This will be the second consecutive series for the Sixers where they will NOT go up 3-0 and fail to advance

• Love 1
14 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Hey Dillon Brooks, how's thug life? GP2 has a broken elbow. 

Karma is coming...

I can't believe the number of sportscasters and fans who are saying that GP2 "should have fallen better" or "known how to fall".  Just wow. 

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ben Simmons undergoing back surgery tomorrow. He has a herniated disc.

If Simmons having a herniated disc is legitimately true why did Brooklyn ever put it out there that he was probable to return for Game 4? 

• Love 1
Just now, LexieLily said:

If Simmons having a herniated disc is legitimately true why did Brooklyn ever put it out there that he was probable to return for Game 4? 

I've known dancers who have danced with herniated discs. It's crazy the pain tolerance most elite athletes have. But Simmons has had chronic back problems so this isn't a surprise.