Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

ESPN tried all night to claim that close games (Milwaukee/New York), games with controversial endings (GSW/OKC), or even Dallas' ongoing attempts at a comeback against Denver, are a direct result of the in-season tournament and that the players are buying in. It couldn't possibly be that teams are trying to win in their own right because the season is barely five games old.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Carey said:

It would be even better if there wasn't a meaningless in season tourney, IMO and TBH

Well, the great thing is that anyone who doesn't care about the tournament doesn't really have to think about it aside from the redesigned courts they're using. 

On the plus side, while the payout for winning ($500k) is petty cash for the Lebrons and Stephs of the league, the guys at the end of the bench will appreciate it. 

Also on the plus side, it gives a certain set of fans one more thing to be outraged about, since there always has to be something.

• Like 1

I typically don't watch until xmas, but I watched the Knicks and Bucks last night while doing other stuff. I wanted to watch the Warriors, but it wasn't on in my area. 

While I don't think that the games were close because of the tournament, they still got me to tune in early November. 

500k ain't bad either. Even if you're at LeBron level, he can always donate. 

Tonight in the NBA on ESPN (😒), we have Wembanyana going to the "Mecca" at Madison Square Garden to hopefully humiliate those wretch disgusting Knicks. Its really something that those fools on ESPN keep on praising MSG as the "Mecca" of basketball despite that NBA team haven't won it all for 50 years (1973 & it'll be 51 in May). 

The 2nd game are those Warriors playing against the Nuggets. Hopefully, Jokic will have a big game on those Warriors & lead the Nuggets to victory. We all know the ESPN still don't like Jokic & the Nuggets so they will be active in rooting for those Warriors tonight. 

Edited by Magog

So Wemby can't do it much...and the Knicks are destroying the Spurs right now. Hopefully the Warriors (sans Dray and GPII) can do it to the Nuggets in a little while. I love the NBA because you just can't predict any given game!

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Carey said:

How bout them Warriors HAHA!

Indeed. That was very nice seeing Steph missing that bucket that would of tied the game & Klay Thompson missing that 3 pointer at the buzzer. Overall, it was a nice game with a nice ending. 

Wembanyana didn't do very much last night & the Knicks (😒) won in a blowout 126-105.

Speaking of blowouts, the Rockets blow out the Lakers 128-94. Sadly, we have to hear from that jerk Dillion Brooks once again about his "so called" rivalry with LeBron. (😒) Frankly, I could careless about that & its not worth caring about. Plus, he still can't seem to keep his big mouth shut like we really need to hear from him. I would of hoped after his no shows against those Warriors & Lakers in the past couple of yrs, that Dillion Brooks would just shut up, go away, & stay away while sucking for the Rockets. Sadly, that didn't happen.

5 hours ago, Carey said:

How bout them Warriors HAHA!

Actually a very respectable showing given that Dray and GPII were out...almost beat the supposed repeat champs the Nuggets so no one in Warriorville is too terribly sad today. Always happy to see the Lakers sink and with AD displaying his usual ability to be out (with niggling injuries) for half the games already, I'm good to go!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, isalicat said:

Actually a very respectable showing given that Dray and GPII were out...almost beat the supposed repeat champs the Nuggets so no one in Warriorville is too terribly sad today. Always happy to see the Lakers sink and with AD displaying his usual ability to be out (with niggling injuries) for half the games already, I'm good to go!

All things considered, not a horrible loss. The Dubs aren't going anywhere. ☠️

• Like 1

Tonight is more of that In-Season Tournament. Yay. 😒

ESPN will be airing Nets at Celtics & Lakers at Suns. I can feel the excitement about tonight's games already.

BTW, the Lakers are 0-5 on the road so far early in the season. I didn't even know till an hour ago that the Lakers haven't won a road game yet.

• Applause 1

Mavs announcer on James Harden. Harsh... probably true though. "You are not the Beard, You are not the System You are the Problem."

Sixers are 6-0 since trading him (not that he played in the other 2 games)and 7-1 on the season. They are playing a more cohesive game than they had in years. Although most that that could be on the coaching change. It early still and regular season hasn't been their problem...the second round of the playoffs is, but that have been fun to watch.

• Like 3

I still don't exactly understand the point of this In-Season tournament or what the rules are and the courts are awful. Fred VanVleet had it right in his postgame commentary last night when he called it (the Rockets' first in-season tourney game) "like a fake playoffs game."

• Like 1

Did anyone realize last night that the Cavaliers defeated those Warriors again? 🤣😂  Last week, it was 115-104 Cavaliers winning. Last night, it was 118-110 over those scummy Warriors. Draymond was being Draymond & got himself an ejection with 2 technical fouls. He was being his usual charming lovable classy self & I will always love him for that.

ESPN.com -  Cavaliers 118 - Those Warriors 110  (11-11-2023) 

• Like 1

Draymond probably wishes he played in the 80s, when stuff like this would have gotten him, at worst, a technical.

Plus I can already see it now.  If you like Draymond, then we should all be lucky enough to have a teammate who is willing to jump in and defend us.  If you don't, then he's a punk.  Oh, and of course it's really Gobert's fault for starting the whole thing (unless you hate Klay, in which case it's Klay's fault).

• Like 3
On 11/15/2023 at 7:05 AM, baldryanr said:

Draymond probably wishes he played in the 80s, when stuff like this would have gotten him, at worst, a technical.

Back in those days, that was called NBA Action, Its Fantastic!! Draymond would of been welcomed with open arms by the Bad Boy Pistons. He would fit right in with them like a glove. 

On 11/15/2023 at 7:05 AM, baldryanr said:

Plus I can already see it now.  If you like Draymond, then we should all be lucky enough to have a teammate who is willing to jump in and defend us.  If you don't, then he's a punk.  Oh, and of course it's really Gobert's fault for starting the whole thing (unless you hate Klay, in which case it's Klay's fault).

Gobert was very lucky that it was Draymond holding him down instead of one of those Bad Bad Pistons from those days because it would of been a lot worse for Gobert. 

Besides, that showed once again how Draymond is still very valuable to those Warriors & how he deserved that contract extension in the offseason by being there in that moment for his teammate (Klay Thompson). As for him being gone for 5 games, I'm sure that those Warriors will win at minimum 3 of those games with no problems. Other than losing $767k & being suspended for 5 games, I'm certain that Draymond isn't breaking a sweat over this. 

I wonder how that loser Jordan Poole is now feeling after seeing this? I hope that he's enjoying playing & sucking for the crappy Wizards without that gentleman in his corner. He & those not worth a damn Wizards wishes that had someone like Draymond on that team. Draymond wouldn't tolerate the constant suckage on that franchise like Jordan Poole will for the next 4 years.

• Like 1

It will cost him nearly 800K in salary, too. And if he does anything this blatant again, the next suspension will likely be 10. Might all that possibly get him to moderate himself a bit? Hahahahaha.

But all of that actually pales in comparison to the possible ramification coming. GSW ownership has to be taking a hard look at that game. All of the big 3 out, and up against a very good team. Yet the team played both offense and defense well, and nearly came away with the win. Keeping Green, and putting up with all the drama he brings, for his defense may not really be a necessity anymore. And Thompson is shooting horribly. Sentiment aside, it seems like maybe the Warriors really only need Curry, and it may make a lot more sense just to surround him with talented youngsters with fresh legs. The difference energy-wise once Thompson and Green were booted was very noticeable.

Kerr wouldn't go for it, but then, Kerr's not been extended. I don't expect him back next season.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Magog said:

Besides, that showed once again how Draymond is still very valuable to those Warriors & how he deserved that contract extension in the offseason by being there in that moment for his teammate (Klay Thompson).

I think it showed the opposite, that he's not really so valuable anymore.

It wasn't about being there for his teammate. He escalated that situation so far beyond what was needed that it was pretty clear that it was just about his hatred of Gobert. He was already diving for Gobert right about the time Gobert was taking hold of Thompson, and the video makes clear that Gobert was just pulling Thompson away from the fray, not strangling him or some such. And I don't even like Gobert, I think he's an even bigger ass than Green generally. But a ten-second chokehold is not about a teammate, it's about personal beef. If Green wanted to defend his teammate he would've gone after McDaniels. And I notice even Kerr has backed away from his original comments defending Green, now calling his conduct "inexcusable". I guess he had a chance to review the video.

I still feel as before, I'd be pretty worried if I were Green (although I think he lacks that self-awareness). After he got booted, the team showed that they don't need him anymore. His defense was special in the past. He still has the defensive smarts, but he's also old and slow which takes away from that and lessens the Warriors' need to keep him. If Thompson were shooting better, that would be one thing, because it would help hide Green, but the Warriors are not in a position to keep shielding all of the big three from their liabilities, when only one of them (Curry) is bringing anything remarkable on one side of the ball.

They probably would have been better off if they had shipped Green out and kept Poole. It was obvious that the Warriors' refusal to meaningfully punish Green for punching out a teammate affected Poole adversely. Green isn't that important anymore defensively, while Poole can contribute on offense. And with Thompson not shooting, the Warriors have really missed having another offensive producer alongside Curry. But if Lacob and Dunleavy have the nerve to tell Thompson he'll have to come off the bench next season (and be paid accordingly) or leave altogether, and tell Green bye, they can still make the most of Curry's remaining window. Green was integral to previous championships on account of his defense, but between him being older and not an offensive contributor, the Warriors are better off with someone else in that position.

• Like 3

The Quarterfinals of the Not Worth A Damn In-Season Tournament is set. Yay. 😒

Monday Night is Celtics at Pacers & Pelicans at Kings.

Tuesday Night is Knicks at Bucks & Suns at Lakers. 

The winner of those games will be playing in the Semifinals in Las Vegas. I can really feel the excitement about that. 😒

The only good thing about it is the games are on TNT. 

At least those Warriors put a smile on my face last night by going down to the Sacramento Kings 124-123. 😁 Those Warriors were up by 24 points & they somehow threw it all away. It was also nice seeing Steph missing that 3 pointer that would of won the game. I can never get sick & tired of seeing that from Steph. All I can say about that miss is, "Night Night Steph!" & "Light the Beam!" 

BTW, Chris Paul got hurt again (lower left leg soreness) & that should not be a surprise to anybody. 

And Draymond was back from his suspension & he was being his usual classy Draymond being Draymond self. He even got another technical foul because of it & it helped out the Kings a lot. Despite my pure hatred of those Warriors, I can never ever hate on Draymond. He always brings a smile to my face with his energy & presence.

Edited by Magog
  • Sad 1
On 11/29/2023 at 10:05 AM, Magog said:

The Quarterfinals of the Not Worth A Damn In-Season Tournament is set. Yay. 😒

As soon as I saw this article show up on my feed I cracked up. There's an NBA Cup trophy for the champion and MVP, which I can understand, but there are also commemorative basketballs and medals for the players that end up on the All-Tournament Team. (I think?)

• Fire 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

As soon as I saw this article show up on my feed I cracked up. There's an NBA Cup trophy for the champion and MVP, which I can understand, but there are also commemorative basketballs and medals for the players that end up on the All-Tournament Team. (I think?)

That trophy case isn't going to fill itself, especially for the non-superstars. 

It's also handy to create more awards because right now virtually all of them are already named after someone.  In 20 years there should be an award named after Lebron, Steph, etc. but they'd probably be reluctant to take it away from a current namesake.

The Semifinals of this Not Worth A Damn In-Season Tournament is set. Yay. 😒

Thursday at 5pm is Pacers vs Bucks on ESPN. How exciting.

Then after that game, at 9pm its the Pelicans vs Lakers on TNT. Yay.

The winner of those games will met on Saturday Night at 8 pm to play for that useless Not Worth A Damn trophy. Sadly, that game will air on ABC with Mike Breen (who I really like) & that repulsive Doc Rivers doing commentary. 😒 I can barely contain my "excitement" over this tournament & ESPN having the Lakers to root for in the tournament.

In much more pleasant news, the Pistons lost 17 lost in a row & didn't win a single game in November. Hopefully, that losing streak will continue after tonight. I care way more about that 17 game losing streak from the sorry Pistons than that Not Worth A Damn In-Season Tournament in Las Vegas. 

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
On 12/6/2023 at 10:44 AM, Magog said:

In much more pleasant news, the Pistons lost 17 lost in a row & didn't win a single game in November. Hopefully, that losing streak will continue after tonight. I care way more about that 17 game losing streak from the sorry Pistons than that Not Worth A Damn In-Season Tournament in Las Vegas. 

Make that 18 in a row, now, for Detroit, and 15 in a row for San Antonio. Tomorrow Detroit plays Orlando (how is Orlando third in the East??) and the Spurs play Chicago. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Pacers lakers in season tourney finals. If anyone cares. And I doubt they do

As a pacers fan I sort of care. 

There is basically no reason to get remotely excited about the Not Worth A Damn In-Season Tournament Final Saturday Night between the Pacers - Lakers. About the only thing that I enjoyed from last night (other than LeBron being LeBron as usual) is the TNT-ESPN combo broadcasting together (except for Doc Rivers because he sucks). Especially the TNT broadcast as usual.

Seeing that very loathsome Bob Myers on that inferior Pregame NBA Countdown Show on ESPN shows even more how much that show sucks. I was basically going through the motions watching that garbage. TNT's Inside the NBA always brings in the fun & excitement. Thank god, that came on after the 2nd game because except for LeBron being LeBron as usual, that game was flat out nap-inducing. Zion Williamson was an absolute no-show in that beatdown & I wish that he has someone like LeBron or has a LeBron like mindset on the Pelicans to help him get it together. I except way more from someone who made more 3-pointers in his first game than that loser Ben Simmons made in his entire career. Sadly, he's been more like Ben Simmons than LeBron since his first injury in his career. Heck, Zion isn't even better than Street Clothes & that makes me very sad.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2

@Magog

Make it 19 losses in a row for Detroit and 16 in a row for San Antonio. Lol. 

Their respective next five games are: 
Detroit: vs Indiana, vs Philadelphia, @ Philadelphia, @ Milwaukee, @ Atlanta.
San Antonio: @ Houston, vs Lakers, vs Lakers, vs New Orleans, @ Milwaukee. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Don't forget the Wizards.  They're 1-13 in their last 14 games, and that one win was against Detroit.

Detroit and San Antonio play each other on January 10, so I hope neither wins until then.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
14 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Their respective next five games are: 
Detroit: vs Indiana, vs Philadelphia, @ Philadelphia, @ Milwaukee, @ Atlanta.
San Antonio: @ Houston, vs Lakers, vs Lakers, vs New Orleans, @ Milwaukee. 

It was so nice seeing the Pistons losing again last night. Hopefully, it will get to 20 losses in a row. I'm really enjoying that losing streak, even though I feel really bad for Cade Cunningham. I really want the Pistons (2-20) to break that NBA record set by the 1972-73 76ers that went 9-73. Those 76ers didn't deserve to be the face of NBA futility, just like those poor 1976 Bucs that went 0-14. I was very very happy for those 76 Bucs when the Lions went 0-16 in 2008 & I want the 72-73 76ers to experience that same feeling like those Bucs did in 2008.

As for James Wiseman, first he sucked for those Warriors. Now, he's contributing to that 19 game losing streak with his usual brand of suckiness for the Pistons. Tyler Halliburton was available in that Draft (2020) & instead of him, those Warriors got James Wiseman who is on his way to becoming a bust in the NBA. 

As for the Spurs, I didn't even realize that they're on a 16 game losing streak. Hopefully, they can keep that going. Hopefully, Wemby will realize that the pain comes before the glory. 

1 hour ago, baldryanr said:

Detroit and San Antonio play each other on January 10, so I hope neither wins until then.

That would be a fun game to watch & enjoy. That game will probably be more entertaining than that Not Worth A Damn In-Season Tournament Final airing tonight on ABC. Doc Rivers presence (😒) in this game tonight will make it even more torturous. 

As for the game itself (yay 😒), I'm only here for LeBron & as usual, he will lead the Lakers to victory.

Don't forget the Wizards.  They're 1-13 in their last 14 games, and that one win was against Detroit.

Nice to see Jordan Poole contributing & enjoying the Wizards sucking. I hope that Draymond is laughing at that clown right now. I don't know when the Wizards & those Warriors met. But when they do, I really hope that Draymond brings Jordan Poole even more shame & humiliation.

Edited by Magog
5 hours ago, baldryanr said:

I was wondering when the two of them play each other, thanks for finding that out!

San Antonio is very lucky their streak of futility is being eclipsed by Detroit's even bigger streak of futility. Lol. What's the longest losing streak of all-time? I know it's over twenty. 

Well lakers are going to won this in season tourney

Still a good experience for the Pacers. Just not hitting shots tonight. 

Also basically a home game for the lakers doesn't help. 

Also for all the whining from lebron about not getting fouls lakers they're 4th in the league in foul shots per game

Lebron still whines after every foul and non call

Edited by DrSpaceman73
Just now, LexieLily said:

By the time the real playoffs start will anyone other than the team that won it care at all who won the In-Season Tournament? I really don't think Adam Silver, etc. thought this through. 

The lebron fans trying to claim it as some sort of 'title' will remind everyone

• LOL 6
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

By the time the real playoffs start will anyone other than the team that won it care at all who won the In-Season Tournament? I really don't think Adam Silver, etc. thought this through. 

On the contrary, people who hate Lebron should be thanking the heavens for this tournament exists.  They can forever use it to roast the guy (Jordan never would have celebrated winning such a meaningless event).  Of course, Jordan was such a psychotic competitor he would have derived some sort of perverse joy from winning anything, no matter how insignificant.

On the contrary, people who hate Lebron should be thanking the heavens for this tournament exists.  They can forever use it to roast the guy (Jordan never would have celebrated winning such a meaningless event).  Of course, Jordan was such a psychotic competitor he would have derived some sort of perverse joy from winning anything, no matter how insignificant.

This is exactly the difference between the two though and why he didn't need such a tournament. He wanted to win no matter the stakes. He wasn't taking regular season games off or mailing it in in December to save anything. It's a game, ye wants to win. Nothing else needed. Same with bird, magic, many others. They would scoff at load management and no coach would dare suggest it. 

Not just the 90s. Kobe too. 

I don't think it's perverse to want to win regular season games no matter the time of year. It's what they're paid tens of millions to do. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't think it's perverse to want to win regular season games no matter the time of year. It's what they're paid tens of millions to do. 

It's perverse to turn every single thing an opponent does into a huge personal slight to the point of just making stuff up to get those competitive juices flowing.  That's the MJ way.  You can't argue with the results, but imagine taking that attitude towards real life.

It's perverse to turn every single thing an opponent does into a huge personal slight to the point of just making stuff up to get those competitive juices flowing.  That's the MJ way.  You can't argue with the results, but imagine taking that attitude towards real life.

I must be missing something about jordan because I never saw it that way. He just always wanted to win. I never saw it as personal slights he was trying to overcome 

Lebrons the one I see self promoting and constantly trying to tell everyone how great he is.  

• Like 3