Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

The Pelicans/Warriors game is tonight and I think this could end up being an entertaining series that could be a longer series. (Like 6 or 7 games). I saw that all of the Experts on ESPN.com picked against the Pelicans again (like they did in the 1st round.) I do give them a chance to beat the Warriors even though they are the underdogs.

After that game 1 beating that those Warriors gave to those Pelicans, this series will not get to 6 games. This series will go 5 maximum. I don't see how it gets any better for the Pelicans. I'm thinking this series is already over.

It feels more like a sigh of relief that the Cavaliers found a way to not fall flat on their face today in Game 7. It was pretty nerve wracking watching the game today. Their play (especially these scrubs) have to be better against the Raptors. 

Right now, I know there are some really pissed off people on ESPN (especially on First Take), Undisputed, & that crappy show that comes on afterwards. They really want the Cavaliers to lose by any means necessary. 

22 hours ago, Magog said:

After that game 1 beating that those Warriors gave to those Pelicans, this series will not get to 6 games. This series will go 5 maximum. I don't see how it gets any better for the Pelicans. I'm thinking this series is already over.

It feels more like a sigh of relief that the Cavaliers found a way to not fall flat on their face today in Game 7. It was pretty nerve wracking watching the game today. Their play (especially these scrubs) have to be better against the Raptors. 

Right now, I know there are some really pissed off people on ESPN (especially on First Take), Undisputed, & that crappy show that comes on afterwards. They really want the Cavaliers to lose by any means necessary. 

I had thought that maybe the Pelicans/Warriors was going to be a longer series (at least 6 games) and I even gave the Pelicans a shot to win it. But now I am thinking that it might be over quicker, (with the Warriors winning it.)

I also wonder what will happen with the Cavs against the Raptors. The Raptors have played like the better team all year, but they have had their struggles in the past against the LeBron and the Cavs. 

Also, I think that the Sixers/Celtics series that start tonight could be end up being an entertaining series. I think that the players (especially the young ones) going against each other should be entertaining. I think that Philly will win this series, ( I think that Boston might win a game or two in it).

(edited)

Le Bron had an average game & he didn't do much in overtime (0 points in overtime shooting 0-4). But, thankfully the scrubs help led the Cavaliers to victory last night. They were trailing all night & the Raptors couldn't find a way to get it home. I may somewhat like the Raptors (more likable than the Celtics or (especially) the Warriors), but they gave that game away last night. 

As for the 2nd game last night, the game was somehow close. But, I never ever thought the Pelicans would win that game. This series is completely over & my cat nap on Friday night (during Game 3) would be more entertaining than watching those Warriors beating up those Pelicans again.  BTW, Stephen Curry came back last night & didn't miss a beat. I don't know why people on ESPN & on Undisputed were freaking out about his recent knee injury in the first place. He looked fine to me. 

Edited by Magog

Toronto came undone in last night's game in the 2nd half. Especially the 4th quarter, where they missed several shots (including layups.) They need to try and be more efficient and execute better in this series. That loss last night has now given Cavs momentum.

Also, Boston did a very nice job against the Sixers in Game 1.  Terry Rozier continues to shine in these playoffs. He played very well in game 1.

And I thought that tonight's Jazz/Rockets game was a good game. It ended up being competitive. Rudy Gobert did a nice job and Donovan Mitchell made impressive plays. I really enjoyed the one where he made that putback dunk after he had missed a shot. I also liked when he wrestled the ball away from PJ Tucker, he showed strength and toughness there. 

(edited)

According to Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter, David Fizdale has agreed to be the new coach of the New York Knicks. He has signed a four year contract with the organization. I had heard like a few days ago that he was a top prospect for him for their HC. I wish him the best.

www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23396895/david-fizdale-agrees-deal-become-new-york-knicks-head-coach

Edited by Jx223

I like Fizdale and wish him the best, but the whole conversation about the next Knicks' coach makes me laugh. 

Their problem is talent, not coaching. If they can't get a lot more talent around Prozingis then it doesn't matter who sits in the coach's seat.

(edited)

I think that unfortunately, for the Raptors they are now in deep trouble after losing this game tonight against the Cavs.

They have now dropped the first two games in this series at home against LeBron and are now headed back to the Cavs arena, where they have their last 5 playoff games. LeBron was excellent tonight and probably will play more like he did tonight than he did in the 1st game where he didn't play very well. The Raptors not only could lose this series but could get swept.

Maybe they might win one game against the Cavs in Cleveland, but I think they will lose this series. I think it may end up being a shorter series, (like over in 5 games) where the Cavs win.

Some teams just have certain obstacles that they struggle to get over and the Raptors beating a LeBron James led Cavs team is one of them. (Even though they have Top seeding and home court advantage in this series and this is one of the weaker Cavs teams that LeBron has led.)

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

I don't know when the NBA game became nothing more than a 3 pt shooting contest but it's made the game unwatchable for me.  I'm here screaming at the TV for the Sixers to slow it down and work the ball inside to Embid.  But no.  They'd rather live (and die) on the perimeter.  Ridiculous.

Boston has looked really good in this series against the Sixers. I had originally picked the Sixers to win this series in 5 or 6 games, but Boston has the momentum right now and might win it. They are better coached and are executing well. Their young players are doing a nice job of helping them, (Terry Rozier in particular is shining in these playoffs).

The Sixers shot too many unsuccessful 3's in tonight's game which prevented from getting in a better rhythm. Ben Simmons only scoring 1 point and looking almost nonexistent hurt them as well. Hopefully, he will bounce back and play better once the series moves to Philly.

Seeing the Raptors roll over and play dead for the cavs makes me think the Pacers are further along that I thought. 

The big question and discussion now that they lost has  been what do they do this offseason?  Do they stand as is or try and make a move to acquire a final piece to make compete at the top of the east

From what we've seen so far from Toronto, I am now thinking stand as is.  The whole team is young.  Sabonis, Turner and Oladipo I think are all under 25. 

They do have one player that has been kind of lost in the shuffle in the second half of the season due to injury Glenn Robinson III.  He has played well when given a chance but seems they did not want to rock the boat after he came back from an injury late in the season.  I am wondering if he might be a guy they use in a trade to try and acquire someone.  Another top defender?  Maybe a true center or big man to rebound?  Turner plays center and is good on the defensive end and shooting outside, but is not much of a rebounder.  That killed them the last game vs the Cavs, too many allowed offensive rebounds. 

At this point though assuming Lebron is not back with Cleveland, the team as is in a great spot in the east in the near future.  However, Boston with Kyrie and Hayward returning I think is clearly going to be the tops in the east next season.  Unless Lebron ends up in Philly, the only really legitimate place I see him going in the east

Sigh. 

I knew this would happen. I try to have faith in the Raptors, but they just crumble under pressure. 

Really just feels like they aren't a playoff team. They can be strong and find ways to win in the regular season and always seem to be tops in TCB (they can beat the teams they are supposed to beat), but then the postseason starts and they can't finish off the 8th seed in less than 6, and even then they never looked dominant against the Wiz the way a top seed should. 

I'm not surprised at all that they are crumbling against Lebron, they honestly just don't have it. 

Prove me wrong Raps. Prove me wrong. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

Sigh. 

I knew this would happen. I try to have faith in the Raptors, but they just crumble under pressure. 

Really just feels like they aren't a playoff team. They can be strong and find ways to win in the regular season and always seem to be tops in TCB (they can beat the teams they are supposed to beat), but then the postseason starts and they can't finish off the 8th seed in less than 6, and even then they never looked dominant against the Wiz the way a top seed should. 

I'm not surprised at all that they are crumbling against Lebron, they honestly just don't have it. 

Prove me wrong Raps. Prove me wrong. 

LeBron has taken up lounging on a couch in the brains of the Raptors, and they jump to meet his every need.

If the Cavs get past the Raptors, I don’t see them beating Boston.

Good for the Pelicans not to get swept by the Warriors. Their fans definitely pumped them up. I’m sure the Warriors will wake up and cream them in game four.

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, roamyn said:

LeBron has taken up lounging on a couch in the brains of the Raptors, and they jump to meet his every need.

If the Cavs get past the Raptors, I don’t see them beating Boston.

It's not just LeBron. It's every playoff team. 

Each of these years the Raptors were the higher seed, at least in the 1st round. 

2013/14 - Lost to the Nets in 7 

2014/15 - Swept by the Wizards

2015/16 - Beat the Pacers in 7, Beat the Heat in 7, Lost to the Cavs in 6

2016/17 - Beat the Bucks in 6, Swept by the Cavs

2017/18 - Beat the Wizards in 6, Likely Swept by the Cavs. 

The Raptors can never close out a series in less than 6 games, even when they come in as the overwhelming favourite.

The Raptors are the San Jose Sharks or the Washington Capitals of the NBA: Great regular season, Come in as the favourite, Shit the bed. 

PS: Sorry for the hockey references, I am Canadian, to make this abundantly clear the Sharks and Capitals are teams known for having regular season success and none in the playoffs. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
(edited)

I thought that tonight's Celtics/Sixers game was a good one, ending with a pretty tough loss for the Sixers.

I am very impressed with how the Celtics have played in this series against the Sixers. I had originally thought they were going to lose this series, now it looks like they are going to win it, possibly with a sweep. They are showing that they are a deep, talented team with a lot of young talent. Terry Rozier has been having a coming out party in these playoffs and Jason Tatum has been playing well too. He is very poised, especially for a rookie. Brad Stevens is a great coach and he has done a wonderful job with them in spite of losing two of their top players.

The Sixers OTOH are struggling in this 2nd round. They made some very costly mistakes in tonight's game. Especially with turnovers at the end of the game and in OT. There was also questionable decision making by their coach. They are young and talented but it looks like they are not quite ready yet to move on to the next level.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
(edited)

Damn that felt good!! Another day. Another game-winner from Le Bron James. 

BTW, tonight's game was pretty good, though nerve wracking to watch. Thankfully, it ended very nicely for the Cavaliers.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Magog said:

BTW, tonight's game was pretty good, though nerve wracking to watch. Thankfully, it ended very nicely for the Cavaliers.

Yeah, by the 4th I was getting a little nervous, how they let the Raptors creep closer & closer.  But what an ending!

49 minutes ago, Magog said:

34 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Yeah, by the 4th I was getting a little nervous, how they let the Raptors creep closer & closer.  But what an ending!

Ah the thoughts of people whose team wins. 

Unlike you two I was under no illusions that my Raptors could pull out a win. 

They have broken me of foolish hope. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I’m sorry, @Maximum Taco.  Trust me, us Clevelanders DO know how you feel.  MJ always seemed to have our number, too.  And Elway.

Haha, no need to be sorry, I can't begrudge Cleveland of it's success, before LeBron (Part II: Electric Boogaloo) you guys were probably the saddest city in sports. Now it's probably Buffalo, especially with all the turmoil during the reign of the Pegulas. 

And it's not so bad in Toronto, everyone is making the playoffs (except maybe the Jays), the Jays are just ending a period of sustained excellence when they easily could have won the World Series, the Leafs are one of the youngest and most exciting teams in the NHL, the Raptors, for all my griping are a decent team, they just can't put it together in the postseason, and TFC are the reigning MLS Champions (and arguably the best team in the league's history.) 

Edited by Maximum Taco
12 hours ago, Jx223 said:

They made some very costly mistakes in tonight's game. Especially with turnovers at the end of the game and in OT.

Oh, I thought you were writing about the confetti guy.

• Love 3

Hey, so you know how Boston and Philadelphia are two young, good teams playing each other in the playoffs? Well, as it happens they're intertwined in a weird way in the draft. Here it is as I understand it.

The LA Lakers pick this year will go to either the Sixers or Celtics. They have the 10th worst record, but if they get the #2 or #3 pick in the lottery, it goes to the Celtics (2.9% chance).  If they don't move up in the lottery, it goes to the Sixers. The weird part is if the Lakers pick wins the lottery, the #1 overall pick goes to the Sixers. Why? I have no idea how a pick was structured that way. The #4 and #5 positions also would have gone to the Celtics, but those are impossible given the Lakers record this year.

So the team that doesn't get the pick this year gets the 2019 Sacramento pick. They have the 6th worst record this year, and their leading scorers per game were Zach Randolph, Buddy Hield, and Willy Cauley-Stein.

There's a clause I barely understand that if the Celtics don't get the Lakers pick, they get the better pick between the 2019 Sixers and 2019 Kings picks, but that's almost certain to be the Kings pick which will be better. They can't get the #1 overall pick, though, so if the 2019 Kings win the lottery, the Celtics will get the 2019 Sixers pick.

Well, hopefully voters will vote correctly and give Brad Stevens that award.

I don't know what to do with Toronto. They're too good to blow up, but... 

Just keep it together and hope LeBron bolts for the West Coast? Hope to steal a Finals appearance before Boston and Phillie really get it together?

(edited)

Mercifully it is over for my Raptors. I'm somewhat glad, getting swept obviously sucks, but that's just the way the NBA is. It seems like most of these 2nd round series are gonna end in 5. I'm honestly not that surprised, the Raps #1 seed did seem to be a house built on sand. They got there by beating up on all of the weaker teams, and then would fail to show up when they played the Cavs, Celts, Warriors etc. They were good at taking care of business, but they weren't the best team in the East, not by a long shot. 

8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Well, hopefully voters will vote correctly and give Brad Stevens that award.

I don't know what to do with Toronto. They're too good to blow up, but... 

Just keep it together and hope LeBron bolts for the West Coast? Hope to steal a Finals appearance before Boston and Phillie really get it together?

I'm honestly not sure where the Raps go from here, this has gotta be the same feeling tons of fans have experienced during the Celtics, Lakers and Bulls dynasties. You can keep ramming your head against the wall or you can accept that sometimes there's just nothing to do in the face of great talent. We just don't have someone like LeBron, or on the lower end in the East, Kyrie or Embiid. This is a team built around DeRozan, and Lowry and while they are great players, All Stars even, neither is the kind of player that's gonna steal you a series. We knew that coming in, and that has been reinforced. 

Seriously I don't think LeBron's going anywhere, he's a smart guy and knows that it's easier to coast to the Finals in the East then it is to try and beat the Warriors out West. Worst case scenario is he joins the Sixers, so I'm gonna assume that happens, and be happy when he stays in Cleveland with his less than stellar supporting cast (no offense Cavs fans, but come on. You gotta admit that LeBron would be a lot more terrifying next to Embiid, Fultz and Simmons.)

Anyway I'd say "Good Series" but it really wasn't, was it? Congrats anyway Cavs. Good luck against Boston and possibly Golden State/Houston. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 2

That by the Raptors has to be the most pathetic showing in history by a #1 seed in the playoffs.  Not only being swept, but a 30+ point loss? 

Even the Pacers in the pre-injury Paul George era limped to the playoffs one year as the #1 seed and managed to still at least make the ECF and 6 games vs. the Heat. 

Has any #1 seed ever been swept in the playoffs?

That was just awful.  Yes, they are going against Lebron, but still, its not a great team.  Its a team that's basically only been together for 3 or 4 months. 

• Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

That by the Raptors has to be the most pathetic showing in history by a #1 seed in the playoffs.  Not only being swept, but a 30+ point loss? 

Even the Pacers in the pre-injury Paul George era limped to the playoffs one year as the #1 seed and managed to still at least make the ECF and 6 games vs. the Heat. 

Has any #1 seed ever been swept in the playoffs?

That was just awful.  Yes, they are going against Lebron, but still, its not a great team.  Its a team that's basically only been together for 3 or 4 months. 

Yes, multiple times. 

Most recently Atlanta was the 1 seed in 2015 and got swept by... You know what? You can finish this sentence yourself cause you know who it was. 

BTW, Atlanta also lost Game 4 by 30 points. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 3

It has happened before, but the Raptors are the first #1 seed since 1971 to be swept before the conference finals. 

These are all the sweeps in NBA history up to 2011, I can't find a more up to date listing of all of them for some reason

https://sportsdelve.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/four-game-sweeps-in-the-nba-playoffs/

Then 2015 the #1 seed Hawks were swept by the Cavs at #2 seed

This appears to be the lowest seed that has swept a #1 seed in history except for the Rockets a #6 seed in the finals sweeping the #1 seed Magic in 1995

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

It has happened before, but the Raptors are the first #1 seed since 1971 to be swept before the conference finals. 

These are all the sweeps in NBA history up to 2011, I can't find a more up to date listing of all of them for some reason

https://sportsdelve.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/four-game-sweeps-in-the-nba-playoffs/

Then 2015 the #1 seed Hawks were swept by the Cavs at #2 seed

This appears to be the lowest seed that has swept a #1 seed in history except for the Rockets a #6 seed in the finals sweeping the #1 seed Magic in 1995

It just proves that seeding doesn't really matter. 

The Cavs really should not have been the 4 seed, and this is, frankly, what every Toronto fan was dreading when the Sixers surged and the Cavs fell behind. It's also the same reason why teams in the lower half of the playoff picture will try and game the system to get a favourable 1st round match up. The Wizards thought they had a chance against Toronto and bet hard on that because they had beaten Toronto before, 1 seed or no. The Nets did the same thing back in 2013/14, purposefully losing to get Toronto in the first round, and they were both right, Toronto was the best match up because they are mentally fragile, because they disappear when things matter the most. 

Basketball puts way too much emphasis on the seeds and home court. I'm not gonna say home court doesn't matter but it doesn't matter that much. 

• Love 1
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

It just proves that seeding doesn't really matter. 

The Cavs really should not have been the 4 seed, and this is, frankly, what every Toronto fan was dreading when the Sixers surged and the Cavs fell behind. It's also the same reason why teams in the lower half of the playoff picture will try and game the system to get a favourable 1st round match up. The Wizards thought they had a chance against Toronto and bet hard on that because they had beaten Toronto before, 1 seed or no. The Nets did the same thing back in 2013/14, purposefully losing to get Toronto in the first round, and they were both right, Toronto was the best match up because they are mentally fragile, because they disappear when things matter the most. 

Basketball puts way too much emphasis on the seeds and home court. I'm not gonna say home court doesn't matter but it doesn't matter that much. 

It mattered in the first round when the Cavs likely would not have advanced to round two if not for home court vs. the pacers. 

But my comments weren't really about home court or not home court.  Just that it was a historically pathetic showing by the Raptors.  Not just being swept, even if it was by Lebron, but being swept as a #1 seed in the second round is just historically bad.  And when you throw in that the Cavs barely made it out of the first round vs a #5 seed that is very young, it just adds to it

Edited by DrSpaceman

Does anyone know when the NBA Draft Lottery will occur? It will definitely be more entertaining than watching either playoff games last night. 

As for the Rockets - Warriors, I don't know how many games this series will go. But those Warriors will find a way to humiliate the Rockets. The Rockets have no chance against the Warriors & nothing in these playoffs is convincing me that their chances have improved. I also wouldn't be surprised if Stephen Curry score a buzzer-beater on the Rockets & mocking them while doing it.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Magog said:

Does anyone know when the NBA Draft Lottery will occur? It will definitely be more entertaining than watching either playoff games last night. 

As for the Rockets - Warriors, I don't know how many games this series will go. But those Warriors will find a way to humiliate the Rockets. The Rockets have no chance against the Warriors & nothing in these playoffs is convincing me that their chances have improved. I also wouldn't be surprised if Stephen Curry score a buzzer-beater on the Rockets & mocking them while doing it.

The NBA draft lottery is going to be shown next Tuesday May 15th on ESPN at 7:30pm EST.

Also, I think that the Conference Finals will end up being more competitive than this 2nd round was. I think that the first round had some good games, but that the 2nd round wasn't as competitive as we had mostly sweeps/near sweeps. All of the teams that advanced to the conference Finals played well and were dominant in their 2nd round series. I was very impressed with how well the Celitcs played against the Sixers, especially since the Sixers were the favorites in that series. 

For the WCF, I think that the Warriors will win it. I could see Houston winning a game or two, but I think that the Warriors will get the bets of them

I think that the ECF will be interesting. I want to see how this version of the Celtics fares against Lebron and this version of the Cavs. I think that the Celtics could play well in this series, but I could also see LeBron being dominant and carrying the Cavs past them, at least for one more year.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:27 PM, roamyn said:

So much for playing for pride.  Will Casey be the first COTY to lose his job? 

Well he was voted COTY by his peers and just got fired by the Raps. We'll see if he wins the writers award for COTY too. 

(edited)

That was a great win for Boston. They played very well offensively and defensively. I enjoyed the pace they played at. I think they could win this series, but I could also see LeBron dropping some 40+ point games in it and trying to lift the Cavs over them. I am looking forward to watching how this series plays out. 

Edited by Jx223
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Is Brad Stevens a warlock or something? How the hell are the Celtics doing this without their best two players?

He is just the best head coach in the league.

The only positive that I can come out with after that Game 1 ass whooping is that the NBA Draft Lottery will air before Game 2 on Tuesday Night. 

I'm remain hopeful that Game 2 will be a different story. I know that the Celtics will very difficult to beat & Game 1 was a good example of that. 

I'm not surprised the Warriors won, but it looked like Houston just ran out of gas in the 4th quarter. I was surprised Harden stayed on the bench for so long to start the 4th too. It was double digits by the time he came in.

• Love 1

I'm not surprised the Warriors won, but it looked like Houston just ran out of gas in the 4th quarter. I was surprised Harden stayed on the bench for so long to start the 4th too. It was double digits by the time he came in.

It wouldn't have mattered anyway. The Rockets were not going to win that game. In fact, if this series gets to Game 6 in Houston, the Rockets should consider themselves grateful & go home.

The NBA Draft Lottery will be on tonight. It will certainly be way more entertaining than the entire Warriors - Rockets series. 

Another impressive win for the Celtics tonight. They continue to show how deep and well-coached they are as a team. Even with LeBron having a monster game, like I thought he would and Kevin Love having a solid game, the Celtics still won. I think that the Celtics could win this series. And they have been very enjoyable to watch.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Jx223 said:

Another impressive win for the Celtics tonight. They continue to show how deep and well-coached they are as a team. Even with LeBron having a monster game, like I thought he would and Kevin Love having a solid game, the Celtics still won. I think that the Celtics could win this series. And they have been very enjoyable to watch.

LeBron & Kevin Love scored a combined 64 points. The rest of the scrubs scored a combined 30 points. The scrubs didn't bother to show up last night, especially in the 2nd half. That is the reason why they lost. I expected a different result last night, but it just got even more revolting.

The NBA Draft Lottery was the only thing that put a smile on my face last night. Here is the order of the Draft.

1. Phoenix Suns
2. Sacramento Kings
3. Atlanta Hawks
4. Memphis Grizzlies
5. Dallas Mavericks
6. Orlando Magic
7. Chicago Bulls
8. Cleveland Cavaliers (Thank you Brooklyn!!)

9. New York Knicks
10. Philadelphia 76ers (I hope the Lakers are kicking themselves right now.)

11. Charlotte Hornets
12. Los Angeles Clippers (HA HA Pistons!!)
13. Los Angeles Clippers 
14. Denver Nuggets

Really hoping the Celtics just continue to dummy the Cavs. 

Nothing against Cleveland, but I just feel that the more the Celtics run over the Cavs, the more embarrassing it looks for Masai Ujiri and the Raptors. And the more embarrassing it looks for them, the more likely they are to attempt sweeping changes. 

This house of cards may finally be falling. 

(edited)

I only saw the second half, but the Celtics just out hustled the Cavs in the 3rd quarter. It's not like everyone was shooting lights out; they moved well without the ball and got easy baskets and pushed for fast breaks on every turnover. And they got all the defensive rebounds on long shots It's not like they had some complex game plan. 

There's got to be an automatic ejection for pushing a player with two hands in the back when they're in the air going to the basket.  

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2