Type keyword(s) to search

Show Analysis: Dr Huang Will See You Now

• Start Topic

Did anyone feel sorry for the cheating wife that gets killed at the end of "Paternity"? Because I did not.

She ditches her son with the nanny to go cheat on her husband...and then, when its uncovered that her boyfriend is biologically the child's father, she immediately makes plans to take the kid and leave, bragging to the cuckholded husband that that he'll never see the child again. And it obviously doesn't occur to her how it the poor little boy will be feel being separated from the only father he knows.

I know cheating isn't justification for murder, but that slut is the reason why women get such a bad rap.

• Love 4

@Spartan Girl had a good idea in starting the thread for the terrible parents, and they did deserve mention in that thread.

But what about the great parents, the good parents, the decent parents, and the mostly okay parents who had the misfortune of having absolute shits for sons, daughters, stepsons, stepdaughters, or, to be generous, grandsons or granddaughters, despite looking like they hadn't done anything overly wrong in raising them (or had, but didn't realize it)?  What about the child-rearing characters who were probably left thinking, sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly, Where did we go wrong?

I'll start with the title quote's case.  It's said by the mother of the selfish, bratty douchebag in "Escape," who wrongly -- and knowingly -- accused his stepfather of molesting him and got him sent to prison for ten years just because he didn't want his mother to know he'd fooled around in bed with his cousin, and who also wanted to keep his mother from starting a family with his stepfather (even though she had no intention of abandoning her son), who turned out to be a damn decent guy who was put in a bad situation.  Damn, that boy had serious Oedipal issues.

And then, while I liked the actress, Anne Gillette from "Shadow."  Killed both of her parents just for their money and tried to blame it on the Indian guy whom she knew was shadowing her.  That was some crazy shit she pulled to make sure she remained in the clear.  Luckily, Fin's trap tripped her up at the end.

And finally, the two little girls from "Lost Traveler."  Actually, just the blonde girl.  The brunette girl at least was remorseful for killing the poor little Muslim boy and actually barely touched him, from what was described.  But I felt for the parents when they had the slow realization that their other daughter had, at some point, become an unrepetent sociopath.

I know many more, but I don't wanna take them all at the moment.  For now, I'd love to see what all of you have to offer.:)

Well, one note about this - it wasn't that they "fooled around", his cousin molested him, and if I recall correctly, threatened him, which led him to accusing his stepfather.  The cousin tells Fin they were just "fooling around", but that was just so he wouldn't get arrested.  Now, he should've absolutely come clean earlier (to say the least), but I always thought his mother was a little harsh to say she raised a son with no heart - she still had a son who was molested at a young age by someone he trusted, and was threatened into accusing someone else.

Connor Paolo played a little shithead twice on SVU - first in Juvenile, as the kid who murders and tries (I don't remember if he was successful) to rape a woman who grew weed in his building, and then again in Web, as a boy who molested his younger brother.  And I cannot remember the name of the episode, but Michael Pitt I remember being someone who was extremely unsettling.

That kid from Unorthodox was pretty fucked up too; the one who watched too many prison shows and decided that it was normal to sodomize kids with a broom.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 6

Well, one note about this - it wasn't that they "fooled around", his cousin molested him, and if I recall correctly, threatened him, which led him to accusing his stepfather.  The cousin tells Fin they were just "fooling around", but that was just so he wouldn't get arrested.  Now, he should've absolutely come clean earlier (to say the least), but I always thought his mother was a little harsh to say she raised a son with no heart - she still had a son who was molested at a young age by someone he trusted, and was threatened into accusing someone else.

I definitely agree with you about the circumstances surrounding why the son falsely accused his step-father. He was 11 years old and he was scared and confused so I can understand why he blamed his step-father. Having said that, I do think that he did deserve what his mother said to him because while I sympathize with the 11 year old, I don't with the 21 year old he was. He knew his step-father was in prison and wasn't going to get out. From what I saw, the son just decided to let him stay in prison for a horrible crime he didn't commit. That is heartless and cruel. I also saw no evidence that the son cared or even thought about what a hellish existence his step-father was enduring. He just went on living his life without any apparent remorse or concern for his actions. The only thing he actually cared about was his mom finding out what he had done. That's cowardly and heartless and I think it was the 21 year old man that the mom was talking to and not the scared 11 year old he had been. Given the fact that the son was obviously never going to speak up and tell the truth, I think what his mom told him wasn't harsh at all but well deserved.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 9

I definitely agree with you about the circumstances surrounding why the son falsely accused his step-father. He was 11 years old and he was scared and confused so I can understand why he blamed his step-father. Having said that, I do think that he did deserve what his mother said to him because while I sympathize with the 11 year old, I don't with the 21 year old he was. He knew his step-father was in prison and wasn't going to get out. From what I saw, the son just decided to let him stay in prison for a horrible crime he didn't commit. That is heartless and cruel. I also saw no evidence that the son cared or even thought about what a hellish existence his step-father was enduring. He just went on living his life without any apparent remorse or concern for his actions. The only thing he actually cared about was his mom finding out what he had done. That's cowardly and heartless and I think it was the 21 year old man that the mom was talking to and not the scared 11 year old he had been. Given the fact that the son was obviously never going to speak up and tell the truth, I think what his mom told him wasn't harsh at all but well deserved.

Exactly, and when you add in the petty, childish reason why he never came clean -- that he wanted his mother all to himself and his brother, basically, and didn't want her to start a new family with his stepfather -- it only makes him come off even more heartless.  I actually took great pleasure in his crestfallen expression after his mother said what she said.

Anyway, this seems to not be gaining the traction I'd hoped, so I'll offer up a few more.

I cannot forget Missy Kurtz in "Damaged."  Gets her own little sister, Rebecca, of whom she's jealous is her adoptive parents' actual, biological child while she is not, molested by her boyfriend, Joey (and even by Missy herself at least once, which gave her gonorrhea!), and then, after she wakes up and threatens to tell their parents, arranges her murder and then has Joey off the one who commits the murder after, Eric, as well as accidentally killing an innocent man who happens to be on the scene at the time.  She does her best to make sure Joey goes down from the crime, but when all evidence is finally brought against her to make her go down, she pretty much states that she's not sorry at all for anything she did, like the sociopath she is.  Even when facing the death penalty (which I'm fairly sure she got, as Alex said she would).

And adult children count, too.  I'm also gonna add Charlie in "Dominance."  Rapes his younger brother, Billy, and beats up his own father and threatens Billy's girlfriend to keep them both quiet about it.  In addition to the other crimes he commits in the episode, he was just plain sick and monstrous.

Next comes another sociopath -- Jake from "Conscience."  Kills his neighbor because he accidentally killed another neighbor's cat and was too afraid of being told on, and then tries to deflect his actions as a result of abuse he suffered at a camp, only for Casey and Huang to find out that he was the one committing all of the abuse there!  Once he was exposed, he offered up the most insincere apology ever.  I'm not normally for kids dying, but if he would've killed again, I can sort of see why the victim's father (played by the amazing Kyle MacLachlan, whom I just saw end an amazing stint of playing the spectacular Crazy Cal on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this past May) felt like he had to die and thus killed him.

Speaking of Kyle MacLachlan, he also played the father of another pretty awful kid -- vile Trip from "Blood Brothers."  He rapes a girl his own age and threatens her into keeping quiet, and that came after convincing her that they would be together in a fairy-tale romance when he had no intention of doing so.  I was more than relieved when Arturo offed him.

Got a couple more, but I'll wait and see what everyone else can offer up first.

• Love 9

That kid from "Conscience" was pure evil. The minute he gave the fake apology to Crazy Cal, I was kind of hoping he'd get killed. I mean, killing kids is awful, but seeing as how he was a serial killer in training, it was kind of justified.

Oh, yeah.  And something I forgot to note.  You could see hints that he was hiding a smile, which was even more of a sign of his sociopathy.

On another note, what's with Kyle playing characters who lose their children?  His two different SVU characters each lose a son, and then, Cal loses Daisy?  Can't be a coincidence!

• Love 8

There's probably a few, but the one that popped into my head immediately when seeing this thread is Rooney Mara's character in Fat.  I mean, she probably didn't deserve to get her finger cut off, but DAMN was she an unsympathetic, whiny bitch.  I won't lie, I laughed when they dramatically whipped out her photos from fat camp.

Not only did I feel no sympathy for Jessica, but I also felt none whatsoever for her friend, Tommy, for beating up poor Rudi unprovoked.  Not that I condone murder, but hurting a guy just over his weight does deserve some form of karmic payback.  As Blaine said at one point in the episode, Jessica and Tommy were the ones who threw the first punch at the Bixton kids.  They started everything.  So the Bixtons essentially finished it.

Didn't feel sorry for Emily, the dead girl found at the beginning of "Mean," either.  She spent her entire high school career bullying poor Agnes just because she was fat.  So hearing that her other friend, Brittany, killed her over something dumb while her other two friends, Andrea and Paige, just watched and took her stuff after she was dead was a nice dose of karma for her, too.  Doesn't excuse them, of course.  But again, karma at its finest.

• Love 10

Holden in "Holden's Manifesto" deserves to be on this thread too. He rapes and murders people all because he can't get any. His ninny mom annoyed me in that episode with her constant excuses that Holden was mentally ill. No, he wasn't mentally ill, he was a resentful, entitled psycho, and she was an enabler.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5

I just watched Taken and watching that horrible bitch Sibohan get herself locked away with her own hubris is so incredibly satisfying. That's the episode where a con-artist family fakes a rape at a hotel opening in order to get a settlement, and the man they accuse ends up dead in prison as a result of them framing him. Sibohan, the mastermind, gets immunity for turning on the others (when, in fact, she was the ring leader), and while she smugly and callously explains how they ended up framing the guy, thinking she's going to get away, Olivia and Elliot march right up and arrest her.

• Love 7

Thought I'd start a topic for the funniest moments on this show.

As the thread title suggests, I love the opening scene of "Families" where Liv nabs a rapists, who screams "Screw you!" rather than give his name, and she retorts, "Screw you, you're under arrest"....hee.

Another moment that cracks me up is in "Savant" when Fin and Lake go to a fertility clinic, and a patients mistakes them for a gay couple. Lake grins and puts his hand on Fin's leg. The look on Fin's face was gold.

• Love 9

Taken is one of my favorite episodes. Munch was great in that one and I liked how at the end, he went to go see the framed guy's girlfriend to explain what happened.  I also loved how during her allocution, the ADA tricks Siobhan into giving evidence that allow Olivia and Elliot to re-arrest her. Was that a Cabot episode?

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 2

It was a Cabot episode.  And, I spent the entire episode trying to figure out why the framed guy looked so freaking familiar, then when I finally looked at IMDB, discovered that he is Seth Grayson on House of Cards.  

Also, I may be kind of a bad person for saying this, but since he's a fictional character, I'll let myself off the hook: Closure, Pt 2 is amazingly satisfying when Harper and her rapist's wife team up to kill her rapist in a way that gets both of them off scot-free.  I'm a pretty peaceful individual, but seeing that jackass end up dead was pretty satisfying.  

• Love 5

Fin is always comedy gold for me.  "Don't look at me; I just know stuff" is still one of my favorite lines, as is "Were you planning on getting frisky with the Hamburgler?"  Oh, and "Who the hell are you callin a bitch; this is the police!", and the always hilarious:

Amaro: "He's just baiting you Liv!"

Fin:  "Yeah...Masturbating!"

You know what, I'll just leave this here instead; it'll be shorter: http://www.buzzfeed.com/staceygrant91/20-fin-tastic-moments-from-law-order-svu-xpfm#.dv9lvjKrJ

And for unintentionally hilarious moments, my two favorites are the entire Wildlife episode, and Carisi's "I brought Zeppoli!"  It was the earnest way he said it. 

• Love 8

Also, I may be kind of a bad person for saying this, but since he's a fictional character, I'll let myself off the hook: Closure, Pt 2 is amazingly satisfying when Harper and her rapist's wife team up to kill her rapist in a way that gets both of them off scot-free.  I'm a pretty peaceful individual, but seeing that jackass end up dead was pretty satisfying.  

I've never seen that one.  How did they do it?

Ah, since I mentioned them on another thread, I might as well mention them here.

Brittany, Andrea, and Paige from "Mean" deserve mentions.  Granted, we have no knowledge of what their parents were like, but everything described about them made it sound like they'd all been raised by decent parents, so I think they can qualify for this thread.  Brittany snaps and kills her supposed "friend," Emily, over something, and Andrea and Paige just stand by, do nothing, and help themselves to Emily's belongings after she's murdered.  As Casey says in the episode, "[T]hey're monsters.  They're mean, vicious little girls who think they can do whatever they want, and up until now, they've gotten away with it."  I'm still happy with how she made sure they all went down.

Holden in "Holden's Manifesto" deserves to be on this thread too. He rapes and murders people all because he can't get any. His ninny mom annoyed me in that episode with her constant excuses that Holden was mentally ill. No, he wasn't mentally ill, he was a resentful, entitled psycho, and she was an enabler.

Holden was a terrible kid, but I don't know if he qualifies here since his mother doesn't sound like she was a particularly good one.  This was mostly about otherwise good parents who still had shitty children.

That said, at least he was taken down by Rollins instead of Olivia, for a change.  Her doing nearly everything was getting very old.

• Love 4

Harper shot him (or, at least, I believe that's the conclusion we're supposed to come to), but they tell the cops that the rapist charged his wife intending to hurt her, and the wife shot him in self-defense.  The wife says she got scared and called Harper (they became friends during the trial), and Harper came over and cleaned everything with bleach, destroying all the fingerprint, gun-powder, and blood evidence.  Olivia says something to the effect of "bleach?  Harper, you know that ruins the evidence" and Harper does a kind of "oh, really, whoopsies, sorry about that!"

• Love 6

Holden's mother was a ninny and an enabler but she didn't appear to be a particularly bad parent in terms of abuse and neglect. However, I see your point.

I did cheer when he got his brains blown out.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5

The parents whose daughter had them killed in "Home Invasions". Her father was molesting her and her mother was too busy with her political work (and having an affair with another woman) to care. They were just the absolute worst, and a definite case of justifiable homicide.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 10

I cannot remember the name of the episode, but I don't feel all that bad for the victim in the episode with Stephen Collins and Warner from Legally Blonde (I cannot remember his real name for the life of me).  I mean, she probably didn't deserve to die, but sleeping with your fiance and his dad, then not using protection with his father so that you end up pregnant by him, and then blackmailing him, isn't really the smartest thing you could do.

• Love 6

I cannot remember the name of the episode, but I don't feel all that bad for the victim in the episode with Stephen Collins and Warner from Legally Blonde (I cannot remember his real name for the life of me).  I mean, she probably didn't deserve to die, but sleeping with your fiance and his dad, then not using protection with his father so that you end up pregnant by him, and then blackmailing him, isn't really the smartest thing you could do.

That would be "Trade" in season nine.  And no, I didn't feel sorry for Jenna, either.  She put herself in that mess.

• Love 5

That was Warner from Legally Blonde?! I did not recognize him...

I'm going to hell for this one, but as gruesome as her death was, I did not feel sorry for Susie, Yates' fiancée, on last night's "Criminal Pathology". She was still in deep denial over the fact that her lover was a SERIAL KILLER even when the evidence was staring her right in the face. I have zero patience for women so desperate for romance that they will associate themselves with creeps that victimize women. So the fact that she was murdered by Dr. Rudnick was yet another case of karma coming back to bite you in the ass.

• Love 5

I didn't feel bad for Dean Cain's girlfriend who ended up being in a vegetative state due to alcoholism. She didn't believe her boyfriend raped all the other women despite evidence to contrary, and even help him cover up some of the crimes, IIRC. Then he induced her to drink a lot trying to kill her, and she went willingly along with everything he did. Basically, someone who doesn't have their shit together and has no backbone of her own.

• Love 7

Thought of another one: the boyfriend that got killed by the gang members in "Betrayal's Climax". He set up his own girlfriend to be raped by the gang members and then had the UTTER GALL to make her feel guilty because she unwillingly had an orgasm during the gang rape. What a prince.

Whether or not he was forced to do it, the girl shouldn't have felt that devastated over his murder after everything he put her through.

• Love 4

Thought of another one: the boyfriend that got killed by the gang members in "Betrayal's Climax". He set up his own girlfriend to be raped by the gang members and then had the UTTER GALL to make her feel guilty because she unwillingly had an orgasm during the gang rape. What a prince.

Whether or not he was forced to do it, the girl shouldn't have felt that devastated over his murder after everything he put her through.

Really?  The fact that he really was forced to do it (the show made it very clear he didn't want to and was threatened into doing it) was what made me cut him at least a little bit of slack.  Just a little, though.  Making her feel guilty for having the orgasm was messed up, though.

Anyway, I'm gonna add Richard Morgan from "Confidential."  He rapes and murders Nancy Pierce twenty-two years prior to when the episode takes place and lets Dan Hardy, her fiance, go to prison for it and basically lose all of those years of his life.  Then, he does it again with Renee when he learns that she's an informant sent to gather intel on him and tries to make her ex-husband go down for it.  That, along with all of the people he screwed over financially over the years, made it nothing but a karma-ridden ending for him when one of those people comes into the police station and murders him over his part in his wife's death.

And to make it even more delicious, his attorney, played by the divine Lena Olin, was the one who set it up because even she had spent all of those years being secretly disgusted by him.

On a side note, Elliot's treatment of her made me stop liking him in that very episode.

• Love 6

Can't recall the episode title.

SVU was going through a Pedophile's computer, a pic of Stabler's daughter pops up.

And well...

Another episode, a fellow cop is beating.his son in the Men's room at the Courthouse.

A man comes running out and tells Elliot, he goes in and beats daddy's ass.

Son was played by TVD's Paul Wesley.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
Brittany snaps and kills her supposed "friend," Emily, over something, and Andrea and Paige just stand by, do nothing, and help themselves to Emily's belongings after she's murdered.

"You took her Prada purse!" Ugh, those little followers were worse then Brittany.

• Love 6
The woman in "Burned" that lied about her ex raping her just so that she could get custody for the child was definitely unsympathetic

Wait, I thought he did rape her, though. When Olivia asks her if he actually did rape her while she's in the burn ward she says he did. She's got nothing to lose at that point.

Last night, with Carisi and Rollins ("hang on, lemme check my app!" "Noon. NOON!") and when the drag killer pathologist is watching his recorded self being utterly self incriminating and the female lawyer who really thought this tripnugget was the pony to bet on says it's inadmissable. The judge's "I can see why you'd like to believe that" in his Bronx accent was beautiful.

• Love 5
^ Tucker, and I know the viewer is "supposed to" side against him, but he's so right! Robert John Burke's variations on a theme of disgusted "do you expect me to believe" blah blah are awesome.

I'm still rooting for him and Benson to make sweet, sweet love after that bar scene. Whhhhooo hoo!

The episode that  frustrated me the most? Was the one where Elliott put away an innocent man and moves hell and high water to get him free, of course. It actually works, and the real killer gives a full, recorded confession with his attorney present. He signs everything, he's totally admitted he did it. And on the way to court he gets shanked and everybody's all "too bad, he had to testify and now INNOCENT MAN STAYS IN JAIL." 

WHAT THE FLIPPING FUCK??? Isn't the entire point of the recorded confession WITH THE GUY'S LAWYER THERE that if the guy can't testify that confession can be used to free the innocent guy? What if he'd had a heart attack on his way up to the witness stand? Would everybody be all "welp, so sad close but no cigar enjoy your floor mopping duties in prison, person we just proved beyond a doubt was railroaded" then???? The who thing was Angst Porn for the Stabler character but I was furious at how he was "well, I tried!" at the end, along with the entire legal apparatus of New York, apparently.

• Love 11

Wait, I thought he did rape her, though. When Olivia asks her if he actually did rape her while she's in the burn ward she says he did. She's got nothing to lose at that point.

She was still lying, no doubt because she knew she was dying, and she wanted revenge on him for throwing lighter fluid on her, so all the better to take him down with her. Olivia realized that at the end up the episode.

• Love 7

As Spartan Girl mentioned, she was still lying.  At the end of the episode, her boyfriend finally comes in (they'd been trying to reach him the whole episode) and says that they did have sex the day she accused her husband of raping her.  Up until that point, she had categorically denied sleeping with her boyfriend that day, and that's when Olivia realized she had been lying.

That episode really brought out the worst in everyone.  

• Love 2

The guy in "Bombshell" that was so obsessed with Rose McGowan even though she and her twin brother (whom she was having sex with, ew) were scamming him. He gives her all his family's savings, ditches his wife and daughter for her, and even when they expose her for what she is, he's still so obsessed with her that he kills her brother/lover just so that he can have her to himself. What a moron.

• Love 9

God, he really was. That whole family was the WORST. When Olivia and Elliott show up to question the family initially about going to a SWINGER'S CLUB their teenage daughter is in the room and Elliott reasonably asks if they wouldn't prefer their kid to leave and the wife says "this family doesn't have secrets." Hey, lady? You really should.

• Love 3

God, he really was. That whole family was the WORST. When Olivia and Elliott show up to question the family initially about going to a SWINGER'S CLUB their teenage daughter is in the room and Elliott reasonably asks if they wouldn't prefer their kid to leave and the wife says "this family doesn't have secrets." Hey, lady? You really should.

Reading this makes me wonder: Did the franchise just take stories from each other all the time? I recall a similar plot on CI in S4, "Sex Club" with Rosanna Arquette playing the mom/divorcee who used to accompany her husband to a swingers sex club, etc.

• Love 2

My personal head canon is after both her parents went to jail the daughter changed her name, took whatever money her idiot father hadn't blown, and gotten as far away as possible.

• Love 2

The first victim in season 1´s first episode, who was a war criminal, taken out by some of his victims from the war. I thought he deserved to be tortured more tbh. It was the only time I remember on the show that the squad acted like the victim is always so innocent and deserving of respect no matter what. I was so annoyed with the way everyone talked to Olivia in that episode.

• Love 2

Yeah, Fin is gold.  Him and Rollins having to arrest Santa Claus in "Presumed Guilty" was hilarious.  So were their exchanges at the strip club in "Criminal Hatred."  ("Your undercover name was 'Detective Tutuola'?")

I always thought Huang was underrated as a funny character.  There's a part in the episode "Fallacy" when Tucker from IAB is ripping Stabler's ass, and then he turns to Huang and just sort of blusters that he's going to call Huang's bosses at the FBI.  Huang doesn't even bother responding, just gives Tucker the most priceless "bitch, please" look.  A subtle moment but it cracks my shit up.

• Love 8

I don't think there was really a victim in Valentine's Day, but I hated everyone in it. Chloe Sevigny for staging a rape fantasy with the second of two delivery boys she was fucking while video chatting with her husband, then blaming it on three black guys, then lying about fucking delivery boy #2 on the bed in the "f pad" where she also fucked her husband's best friend. I hated the husband's best friend. I hated her idiot husband for standing by her. I hated her drug dealer for going on and on about all the coke he sold upper east side wives after Fin and Rollin said they weren't interested in busting him for drugs. I hated the delivery boy for not knowing the word "credulity" as if his job was so lowly he must be too stupid to comprehend vocabulary above a 4th grade level. I hated the lawyer. I hated the juror who wouldn't convict her because they shared a cig in the hall one time. I even hated Olivia for questioning her story not when the hidden camera footage made it obvious that her explicit account of being repeatedly gang raped was a complete lie, but because rape victims never say "we had sex." What?! Of course they do! They've said it to her when they were too ashamed/in denial to say that someone raped them, or when they don't understand the concept of marital rape, or when they're covering for someone, or like a million other scenarios. There was not a single redeeming person in the entire story.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 5

The S14 finale, first episode with the annoyance that is William Lewis.

The Squad goes to the halfway house he was residing.

Upon busting open the door to his room, they caught his roomie dry humping some coats.

Fin yells, GET YOUR ASS OFF THOSE COATS!

Me: DEAD!

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 3

My personal head canon is after both her parents went to jail the daughter changed her name, took whatever money her idiot father hadn't blown, and gotten as far away as possible.

In the end, the daughter was the only one I really felt for in that episode.

I hated the juror who wouldn't convict her because they shared a cig in the hall one time.

That was his story.  The implication was that he gave her more than a cigarette, if you know what I mean. . . .

• Love 4

Not sure if she would count as a victim since she technically wasn't effected, but William Lewis' dumbass lawyer in "Her Negotiation" and "Surrender Benson." You take a guy that has been accused of viciously attacking elderly people to meet your PARENTS?! Her father's murder and mother's rape was all on her.

• Love 10

At the very end of Denial, Fin gives Claire a picture of her sister who was murdered by her mother because Claire was upset that she couldn't remember her sister's face. Claire then asks for a hug even though she knows that Fin really doesn't like to be touched. I get teary eyed just thinking about it.

• Love 10

More Fin, this time with Munch.

From an episode in season 2 (I think??) where they're questioning a guy who asks who Munch is, and Fin says "That's my Jew."

Munch casually says "Shalom" as they exit and then grills Fin: "my Jew? My Jew? What if I called you 'my boy'?"

Fin: "I'll be your boy, John!" 

• Love 9

I wasn't a fan of the police brutality so Stabler and Amaro bug me. Tutuola at times, too. Sometimes I like Rollins (hated her when she defended the wife abusing athlete). Barba makes up the later shows for me. Otherwise it is hit and miss for me. Munch and Carisi are fun.

Any woman who takes back her abuser and is promptly killed afterwards gets no sympathy from me.  The woman who was with Nathaniel Marston's character in "Persona" is one of them.  She was ready to drop him, but then inexplicably took him back.  Olivia hid out in their house just to keep an eye on things, but by the time she heard something going on and tried to get out of the basement in which she was hiding, the woman was indeed dying after getting stabbed by her man almost halfway through the episode.

Clea DuVall played Mia Marston, and I think its the only time she's played an out and out victim.

Seasons one through six were definitely the tops for me.  Actual sex and abuse crimes being investigated, relatable cases, victims, witnesses, and even perps, at times, and twists that didn't always sound so out of the ordinary.

Seasons seven and eight weren't terrible, but definitely didn't stand up as well as the first six seasons did.  They still had many episodes I liked enough to DVR from USA and hold onto whenever I wanted to watch them again.

I'm not quite in line with saying that seasons nine through twelve were the pits (though they certainly do make up the weakest era of the show), because "the pits" means you don't like a single episode in any of those seasons.  I found at least four per season I'd watch again.  Which shows, I guess, that I'm kind of an odd duck when it comes to this show.  For example, season nine has "Fight," "Harm," "Snitch," "Streetwise," and "Trade" (yes, even that one, in spite of the ridiculous of it, I'd watch it again).  Season ten has Kim's first episode (forgot the title), "Transitions," "Ballerina" (I'd watch Carol Burnett in almost anything, and this was no exception), and its finale, "Zebras."  (Yes, I did like Dale Stuckey and actually thought the squad, save for Olivia, ended up looking worse since their verbal abuse of him, especially Elliot's, was the main contributing factor to his eventual snap.)  Season eleven has "Confidential," "P.C.," "Shadows," and, despite its own ridiculousness, "Bedtime."  And season twelve has "Mask," "Totem," "Bully," and "Smoked" (Elliot's final episode).

So . . . yeah.  There were crumbs among the ashes for me where those seasons are concerned.

But I'd say the modern, post-Elliot era is definitely more like the old show.  Seasons thirteen and fourteen were incredibly strong seasons.  Obviously, each had their clunkers, but I liked more episodes each season than I disliked or hated, so I was able to enjoy them.  Season fifteen was probably the weakest, but still had its gems, like "Internal Affairs," "Wonderland Story," and "Military Justice."  Also, most of the episodes Donal Logue was heading the squad.  Season sixteen was also not as strong, but it had the episode of the evil dentist (forgot that title), so that was a redeeming.

I'm eager to see what season seventeen will have in store, because so far, I haven't hated an episode yet this season.

• Love 1

At the very end of Denial, Fin gives Claire a picture of her sister who was murdered by her mother because Claire was upset that she couldn't remember her sister's face. Claire then asks for a hug even though she knows that Fin really doesn't like to be touched. I get teary eyed just thinking about it.

Both Ice T and Martha Plimpton were great in this one. It's not often we get to see Fin develop a connection to a victim this way. I loved it!

Delurking with one of my favorite SVU episodes, "Undercover," when Liv posed as an inmate of a women's prison to find the guard who raped/murdered an inmate and raped her daughter. MH's Emmy nomination that year was justified for that episode alone. It made me laugh (when Munch was innocently explaining to the other detectives why no one would believe the mother's story because in some peoples' minds she was just a "crack ho" & the inmate's daughter interrupted with "Don't call my mama a 'ho!"), it made me cry (when the mother got killed and the daughter got sick with TB), it made me cringe (when Liv was almost raped by the guard) and it made me cheer when the guard got busted and Liv asked him, "Who's the 'bitch' now?"

When watching the scene when Benson was trapped with the guard in the basement, I wanted her to bite him SO bad! But the "who's the bitch now" line worked for me also :)

Edited by jlrd2000
  • Love 6