Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation Discussion

(edited)

The preview reveals Mary is dead.  So on afterbuzz, without addressing the preview, it seemed pointless.  There was nothing to talk about.  

Edited by wings707
(edited)

The preview reveals Mary is dead.  So on afterbuzz, without addressing the preview, it seemed pointless.  There was nothing to talk about.  

I wasn't recommending it for their speculation (which I rarely agree with.  Their chatter about Mary and her ex made steam come out of my ears), just for listening to Aline's perspective on her character and what she was trying to convey as Shia in here scenes.  I don't think any of it will predict the future of the show, but it adds an extra layer of understanding about what Shia is thinking and doing.

Edited by xqueenfrostine

Spoiler from Constance Zimmer's interview on TVLine that I don't fully understand:

"There’s something coming up in, I think it’s Episode 6, that to me was shocking, [that] I couldn’t believe we were going to do on the show — because it then tells a different story after we reveal something that happens."

I don't know if maybe she forgot the audience saw Shia change out the drugs (sometimes when only one actress is in a scene they shoot it separately). But I can't think of anything that would change my perception of what happened with Mary. 

Also, possible spoiler - Christie Laing (Shamiqua) tweeted asking whether Adam should choose Anna, Grace, or Rachel. Not that I thought Maya or Shamiqua had a chance, but maybe telling.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just found this clip from tonight's episode that I thought I would share with all of you.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/unreal/video/season-1/episode-7/adam-blames-rachel

After watching this clip I could see Adam quitting and then returning after Quinn makes him and offer he can't refuse. I think Adam will be back for season 2 and his Vineyard will play a role.  Maybe they tell him  to pick Faith and use her coming out to help keep him around. I also read that Rachel has love making scenes with both guys. we already saw one. It seems like the Wiki links hints at Rachel and Adam hooking  up in Episode 8. The episode guide on IMDB and Wiki is interesting. Especially if its accurate. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3314218/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnREAL#Episodes

I just found these 2 articles I thought I would share with all of you.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/ellen_gray/20150713_Getting_real_on_Lifetime_s__UnReal_.html

http://www.screenfad.com/unreal/unreal-season-1-episode-7-preview-savior-40373

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2

Spoiler from Constance Zimmer's interview on TVLine that I don't fully understand:

"There’s something coming up in, I think it’s Episode 6, that to me was shocking, [that] I couldn’t believe we were going to do on the show — because it then tells a different story after we reveal something that happens."

I don't know if maybe she forgot the audience saw Shia change out the drugs (sometimes when only one actress is in a scene they shoot it separately). But I can't think of anything that would change my perception of what happened with Mary. 

/i haven't seen the full quote so I could be wrong, but I think she just means Mary's death is the shocking thing that happens. and that her death marks a drastic shift in the storyline for the series.  In the first half, it's a story about the shocking ways the producers manipulate performances out of contestants.  The second half has to be different because it's unlikely that things are going to go on as usual with Everlasting or that the producers would be able to maintain that dynamic with the girls on the show after Mary killed herself on their watch.

(edited)

This was a question to Sarah Gertrude Shapiro on Twitter tonight:

Chris Burgess ‏@CBRVA

@GertShap Is it true that Adam won't be back next season on #UnREALtv? And will Rachel's ex-boyfriend Jeremy be back next season? #AskUnREAL

Sarah Gertrude Shap

Sarah Gertrude Shap – ‏@GertShap

@CBRVA nothing is for sure yet! But conceptually yes

The thought is actually depressing me as Adam is infinitely more interesting than Jeremy (I want to like him I just can't especially after this latest ep) and I'd be super bummed to see him go. Plus, he and Rachel have awesome overall chemistry. Edited by basically
  • Love 3

I'm hanging my hopes on the "nothing is for sure yet!" part of her tweet.  Because I'd love for the show to give Adam a reason to stay, and for them to send Jeremy off into the wilderness.  Especially after tonight.  The contrast between Jeremy jumping Rachel's bones as a means for comfort, and Adam chastely holding her cemented for me who in the end is a bigger jackass.   

• Love 3

I think "conceptually" is a major out because it could stand for the concept of Everlasting having a new suitor every year. Also, you have to remember that the vast majority of viewers are much more casual. For them, Adam returning would be a "twist."

It sounds like from the preview that they are planning a spin-off (like that wedding thing from The Bachelor Trista and Ryan, I think) of Everlasting. I guess that means only one of the actresses in the contestant pool are getting a next season. That will keep Adam for at least another season.

It would be a part of UnREAL, since Rachel wants to produce. I'm betting it's Anna that gets the ring, since she's the most visible of the remaining contestants. Unless Adam doesn't want a "real" wedding, then he can pick the country lesbian.

This is just speculation but what if Adam does end up proposing to one of the girls in the end - just like the show wants him to, but then gets rejected by said girl? I've been thinking about ways this could go and this just popped in my head.....

This is just speculation but what if Adam does end up proposing to one of the girls in the end - just like the show wants him to, but then gets rejected by said girl? I've been thinking about ways this could go and this just popped in my head.....

Unless he picks Faith, I can't see it. Maybe Shamiqua might turn him down, but since I can't even recall of the two of them having a solo scene together I think we can rule her out as Adam's pick. I can't see Anna or Grace turning him down. I mean Grace has been blowing him at every opportunity for weeks and Anna left behind her orphaned brother to stay on the show. They're both on it for the ring.

• Love 1

It would be a part of UnREAL, since Rachel wants to produce. I'm betting it's Anna that gets the ring, since she's the most visible of the remaining contestants. Unless Adam doesn't want a "real" wedding, then he can pick the country lesbian.

I tend to think they'll rotate between Bachelor, Bachelorette and the specials about the couples.  So I think Adam is given reason to play along and picks Faith and they fake a relationship for the show proposed in the preview while Rachel and Adam plays out offscreen.  Then they'll move onto Bachelorette with Anna.  Then there will be a new guy from that cast, and so on.

• Love 4

This was a question to Sarah Gertrude Shapiro on Twitter tonight:

The thought is actually depressing me as Adam is infinitely more interesting than Jeremy (I want to like him I just can't especially after this latest ep) and I'd be super bummed to see him go. Plus, he and Rachel have awesome overall chemistry.

Does anyone else feel like that could potentially be a really bad move for the show? From what I've seen, Jeremy is very unpopular with the viewers. Most seem to prefer Adam over him. If they're going to keep one of those guys for next season it should really be Adam. He and Rachel have better chemistry and their interactions with each other are more fun. Adam on his own is also a heck of a lot more interesting than Jeremy. Anytime Jeremy is on screen I just want him to go away. The only times we ever really see him is when he's acting grumpy toward Rachel and his fiance or when he's hitting on Rachel. None of that is worth keeping him around. 

^I agree. I tried to give Jeremy a chance in the first couple of episodes but he just n"continued to NOT grow on me and his interactions with Rachel always left me depressed as opposed to excited (which I feel with Adam/Rachel). I think there is chemistry there I just don't think that relationship and his character have been presented very well or in a way that would make me want them together or like him. Jeremy just seems so judgey with Rachel. He is definetly confused over and fighting his feelings for her - but he keeps jerking her around in the process of sorting it out. He doesn't seem to have a shred of guilt for cheating on Lizzie twice now so far. There is just so much to dislike about Jeremy as of right now. Which sucks because I do like Josh Kelly.

I hope and pray they find a way to keep Adam into next season. I'm way more interested and captivated by him - plus Freddie and Shiri just light up in all their scenes together.

• Love 2

^I agree. I tried to give Jeremy a chance in the first couple of episodes but he just n"continued to NOT grow on me and his interactions with Rachel always left me depressed as opposed to excited (which I feel with Adam/Rachel). I think there is chemistry there I just don't think that relationship and his character have been presented very well or in a way that would make me want them together or like him. Jeremy just seems so judgey with Rachel. He is definetly confused over and fighting his feelings for her - but he keeps jerking her around in the process of sorting it out. He doesn't seem to have a shred of guilt for cheating on Lizzie twice now so far. There is just so much to dislike about Jeremy as of right now. Which sucks because I do like Josh Kelly.

I hope and pray they find a way to keep Adam into next season. I'm way more interested and captivated by him - plus Freddie and Shiri just light up in all their scenes together.

Part of the reason I've had a hard time warming up to the Jeremy character is because I can't figure out what the writers are going for with him. Is he supposed to be unlikeable? If so they've done a great job because currently I hate him more than Chet. But Freddie Stroma called Jeremy the "nice guy" in one of his interviews. I don't know if that's his own interpretation or if he's been told by the show creators that Jeremy is supposed to be the good guy. I sure hope it's not the latter because I tend to find the majority if his interactions with Rachel quite appalling. He's either telling Rachel everything that's wrong with her or he's cheating on his fiance with her. Rachel needs to tell Jeremy to take a long hike off a cliff. 

(edited)

Does anyone else feel like that could potentially be a really bad move for the show? From what I've seen, Jeremy is very unpopular with the viewers.

It could be "bad" either way.

UnREAL has 700,000-800,000 viewers.  This thread has 100 posts, many of them from repeat posters.  It's so easy to extrapolate the opinions seen online to the general viewing public but people discussing the show online represent a very small sample size.  And we have stronger opinions. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had the experience of being surprised at how different an offline viewer sees things for TV shows.  I think this show is about Quinn and Rachel's relationship.  As long as the show keeps them, I think they could keep/get rid of neither, either or both of the love interest characters and have much of the audience continue the ride.

If TPTB only saw Adam as a one season character, keeping him around could be harmful to the show if they don't do it right.  On Homeland (warning, spoilerish for Homeland) the Brody character, played by Damian Lewis, was conceived as a one season character.  But Showtime wanted to keep him around so he was kept around a while.  However, it became pretty obvious that the writers had a very uneasy relationship with the character.  They loved the actor.  They gave him great material.  But the overall story felt very shaky in the second season.  That's the kind of thing that happens when a character is kept around where there's no natural fit for him/her.

I do think a spinoff presents a place for Adam in the second season but I also think they're going to eventually run out of organic reasons to keep him around.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

It could be "bad" either way.

UnREAL has 700,000-800,000 viewers.  This thread has 100 posts, many of them from repeat posters.  It's so easy to extrapolate the opinions seen online to the general viewing public but people discussing the show online represent a very small sample size.  And we have stronger opinions. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had the experience of being surprised at how different an offline viewer sees things for TV shows.  I think this show is about Quinn and Rachel's relationship.  As long as the show keeps them, I think they could keep/get rid of neither, either or both of the love interest characters and have much of the audience continue the ride.

If TPTB only saw Adam as a one season character, keeping him around could be harmful to the show if they don't do it right.  On Homeland (warning, spoilerish for Homeland) the Brody character, played by Damian Lewis, was conceived as a one season character.  But Showtime wanted to keep him around so he was kept around a while.  However, it became pretty obvious that the writers had a very uneasy relationship with the character.  They loved the actor.  They gave him great material.  But the overall story felt very shaky in the second season.  That's the kind of thing that happens when a character is kept around where there's no natural fit for him/her.

I do think a spinoff presents a place for Adam in the second season but I also think they're going to eventually run out of organic reasons to keep him around.

I see your point and completely agree on Homeland although I would say that this show doesn't need to be as organic as most because the premise is inherently inorganic. However, as I said earlier I'm not sure Shapiro/Noxon are telling the truth regarding Adam. After all, these episodes were written and shot months ago. If the show ends with a pretty clear way for him to stay, that means their comments have been ... misdirection, to be polite.

Also, Rachel/Adam doesn't strike me as a type of storyline that would cause a divergence between hardcore and casual viewers.

(edited)

I agree with you that Adam very well could be back next season and that was the intent all along.  And if they know what they want with him in subsequent seasons, I'm all for it.   I won't trust who is staying and who is going until filming starts and they're less coy about the whole thing.  I just don't think the show's future success hinges on whether or not he or Jeremy stays or leave. 

Also, Rachel/Adam doesn't strike me as a type of storyline that would cause a divergence between hardcore and casual viewers.

I'm not saying that casual viewers don't like Adam.  The show is definitely writing for them.  I'm just saying I'm not sure how much they care.  Is it enough to base their viewership on?  That I'm less certain about. 

I perhaps did not do a good job explaining but all I'm saying is I don't think getting rid of Adam would be a worrying thing for the show. But I don't think keeping him is a bad thing either.  And even though it may seem like I don't like Adam, I absolutely do and would not mind seeing him next season.  I just am one of the few not invested in the Rachel/Adam ship...or any ship on this show.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

I actually agree with you that most viewers watch a show until they become individually bored and plot points have much less of an impact than overall quality. There are exceptions, of course. (I bet Graceland wishes it could redo its S2 finale.) If she chose Jeremy over Adam it would cause some Internet annoyance, but the show's ratings for Season 2 would really be dependent on how many people liked the show overall. I would actually go even further than you. I'm not sure that many casual viewers would care if Quinn was Ned Stark'd. The two people I've talked about this show offline both think this is essentially The Shiri Appleby Show. I had to remind them that there even were Quinn/Chet plots.

Much as I love Shiri Appleby I wouldn't say this is entirely her show - she's a main focus but I think both she and Constance carry the show. Quinn is just as entertaining as Rachel to me. I think theirs is the number one relationship that drives the show.

• Love 4

Much as I love Shiri Appleby I wouldn't say this is entirely her show - she's a main focus but I think both she and Constance carry the show. Quinn is just as entertaining as Rachel to me. I think theirs is the number one relationship that drives the show.

Just so I'm clear, I think Constance Zimmer is fantastic. I've been a fan for a long time, and I think the Rachel/Quinn relationship drives the show. I think it's a product of  Rachel being the main focus and overall non-Quinn Rachel stuff working more than non-Rachel Quinn stuff, particularly in the first 3-4 episodes (IMO, it's improved the past couple of episodes).

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't actually care for Shiri Appleby. There is something about the way she delivers her lines that is far too deliberate for my taste. I can see her acting. I like Constance Zimmer well enough, not a huge fan but she's enjoyable. Never seen any of the rest before in my life. That's not true, saw Grace in a short roll on Body of Proof and Shamiqua on Once Upon a Time but have no overall impression of either of them. So this is not an actor driven show for me. I'm here for the storylines.

I have no interest at all in watching the Rachel/Adam soap opera. I tuned it because I wanted to see a scandalous trashy show about what goes on behind these trashy reality shows. None of the romantic relationships interest me in the least. Hell, the suicide didn't interest me in the least. I would rather next season be about a Suiterette and her male candidates. The bonus of more eye candy and more guys to fawn over precious unkempt Rachel. lol I get that that sort of thing would have a shelf life, but so does the whole romance angle which is done on every show ever. 

What do people think the story would be if R & A are together next season? Would they be happy together or would it be the tired old fight, break up, get back together, merry go round that all shows end up doing when they put two main characters together? IDK I just can't see watching them play house and fix up the vineyard for TV, though I get why some people would want to. It's just not what I signed up for when I started watching. The show is already veering too much into relationship drama for me, what with the Rachel love square with Adam, Jeremy, childlike makeup fiancé, and then Quinn/Chet/Chet's knocked up wife. I don't really care about those. I wish we'd gotten to know the women more.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 1
(edited)

I do wish that we got to know the female contestants better, although we have gotten a fair amount of Faith, Anna, and Mary, but I can understand why they didn't want to focus on the people that would be gone next season (and financial considerations). IMO, Grace should have gotten a focus episode. It may also have been a mistake for Adam only to be there for PR because it undermined the stakes. One of the challenges of this show is that they're halfway between anthology and primetime soap. If they decide to split the difference with Adam and Royal Love, I understand why.

The love quadrangle is somewhat bothersome, particularly because the fiancee isn't even a character. I say that not as shipper (although I sorta am) but because a producer falling in lust/manipulating the Suitor and vice versa had sufficient dramatic and thematic possibilities. Also, even if I've liked Quinn/Chet better lately, it struggled at first. 

While I think American Horror Story: Reality TV Production may have its merits, this show ultimately was designed as more of a character study for Shiri Appleby's Rachel and then to some degree Quinn. If you don't like them, I think there's a good chance that the show would wear out its welcome rather quickly no matter which route they took.

Edited by portfino
(edited)

For me it's not even that I'm in a rush to see Adam and Rachel together and living happily ever after - because honestly I don't even know if that would work out for them. I like the slow pace they're working at and I just like watching this connection they have - whether it's building to be romantic, friendship, or just a learning experience. Sometimes people come through your life to help you grow or change or see things from a new perspective - which could be all This relationship is meant to be if Adam was written to be a 1 season character. I just want to see where this is going. And even without the Rachel factor, I really enjoy Adam as a character and would hope to see him in season 2 in some capacity.

Edited by basically
  • Love 2

Adam s supposed to seem like a nice guy, that's why he was cast for Everlasting. He's not a moustache-twirling villain like the network president, but he is as bad a person as the rest of the conflicted hot messes running the show. I think Jeremy is less involved in the evil going on behind the scenes, but he's a jerk with Rachel, so the audience hates him.

Obviously, Rachel is a kind of Mary Sue for the creator of the series. I'd like to see more of her psychological manipulations rather than her schemes and personal issues. It's starting to give me bad flashbacks to Revenge.

• Love 1

I think Lizzie is definitely gonna find out about two timing fiancé Jeremy sometime in the last 3 eps. Shiri did a phone interview and wouldn't answer that particular question because spoiler alert! So that all but confirms it to me....

I don't trust [the PA] either. She's always around and I think she's taking note of a lot more than she's letting on. If Shia doesn't write a tell-all I can see the intern blackmailing Quinn and Chet with what she knows.

I feel like the PA is the depiction of the rest of them when they started out: wide-eyed and naive. Then she will become tainted and corrupted like the others before her.

• Love 2

Unverified wiki spoiler for the finale that was quickly deleted. It has things that ring true for me, and some that don't. I know there's no spoiler tags in the spoiler thread but I will leave some room because this is not your average spoiler.

= As the final ceremony is upon us. Shia Returns to the set to demand her job back. When Quinn tells her to get lost she threatens to spill the beans to the media. In a shocking turn of events Adam turns down all the woman except for Rachel who he confesses was the one he's had eyes for all along. Rachel is now turn between Adam and Jeremy. Rachel then has another emotional breakdown and turns both guys down in an effort to become an executive producer. Adam's spin off show deal is now officially off the table. Chet and Quinn go over the outline for next season. Rachel demands an executive producer role for next season. Chet laughs and says you did not bring me Adam as promised. Then all the former contestants come back for a reunion show to talk about Everlasting.

I don't have trouble believing that Royal Love falls apart, and Rachel picks no one or the Shia stuff. I doubt that Rachel would still think she could be an exec producer after an emotional breakdown and ruining the show two years in a row. Also, ending the show with a reunion strikes me as an anti-climax.

ooh, the reunion show could be fun. IDK about it being anti-climactic. Depends on how it's done. And if they follow the bachelor pattern of having the next ette taken from this crop which could actually be interesting. If say Anna or Faith (that would be interesting if they were willing to go with a same sex situation before the actual show they are based on does) become the next. Or maybe I'm just hoping next season is crawling with hot guys. lol

(edited)

Oh wow I wonder who posted that. Someone may have lost there job. I could some of that stuff gaping but not all of it.

Shiri did a phone interview and was asked a question which had spoilers. She did not answer the question but hinted that what was asked will happen.

http://redcarpetcrash.com/interview-shiri-appleby-talks-unreal/

Here's an interview with spoilers about season 2.

http://tvline.com/2015/07/17/unreal-season-2-spoilers-adam-rachel/#more-626225

Edited by earlbny

Bachelor switches off as I understand it, with the loser becoming the Bachelorette or something. The reunion show spoiler really rings false because Unreal seems to not give a crap about the other contestants.

I have no idea who's left they profiled a couple of contestants and the others barely got a single line the whole season. As someone else said its the Shiri Appleby show.

A reunion could be an embarrassment for the show, and as stated I don't think Quinn gives a rat's ass about the women or their feelings. Shia threatening blackmail... yeah, that could happen. But she's not the brightest bulb on the tree so she may go about it wrong and wind up having an "accident." Adam may declare his love for Rachel to her privately, I don't see him doing that to the producers, however. The guy's not dumb. It would make more sense for him to pick a girl, they have the spinoff which Rachel will get to produce and that way Adam gets to be around her 24/7 again. Otherwise, they pack him off to England, end of story. But it would make for a more dramatic show if he goes through with the sharade of a proposal and wedding planning, only to leave the bride at the altar at the end.

If Adam doesn't pick anyone then he would have to do it in the nicest let down ever and not make it about Rachel - the whole point of him going on this show was to repair his image. If he dumps all 3 girls for Rachel that screws up everything. Plus i would have to believe in this case that he cares for Rachel more than his own interests and as much as I enjoy Adam/Rachel I fully believe they would pick themselves over each other.

The only way I can buy this spoiler is if it's missing something about Rachel somehow convincing Adam to pick Anna/Grace/Faith after she rejects him and saving the show with the demand from Adam he won't do Royal Love. I just don't buy she we would demand an executive producer gig after a second breakdown, the Suitor not picking anyone, and not delivering Adam.

If that's true that Rachel didn't know about Grace, I think it's to show us more fallout from Mary's suicide and Rachel being thrown off her game. It seems like forcing a contestant to face a phobia is a common trope even for the romance ones, so I'm surprised they cut the cameras.

I can't stand video interviews. Since we're in the spoiler thread, would some kind soul say what the question Shiri was asked that she hinted at would happen was?

Also, if Royal Love isn't being used as a set up to keep Adam on the show, I will be grumpy. Jeremy's been a failure as a character, but Adam and Rachel sing together chemistry wise. 

• Love 2

The phobia thing reminds me of Fear Factor. Early on, they made people face "fears" like heights and small spaces. Those shows were too boring, so they eventually just made people eat pig anuses. Your average fame whore has no fear except not being on TV.

(edited)

Totally reminds me of fear factor. Aparently fear is a factor for you.

ETA:http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/unreal-is-what-a-feminist-looks-like?utm_term=.qpjgzWVl3#.yedN908ZGr

How will you make sure both next season and in the possible more distant future that it makes sense for Rachel to continue to work there?

SGS: It’s Rachel’s story, and it will always be Rachel’s story. I think we feel like the evolution of a young woman finding her way in the world is super ripe and has a ton of legs. To get inside somebody and go through the world with them has always been the aim of the show. We’re going to break next season around what Rachel’s going through, not what we want to see on a reality show. And we’re very happy to go on that journey with such a little freakball. Because she’s such a freakball.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
(edited)

I am trying to do detective work to figure out who Adam picks and who's coming back. Lifetime posted an interview on Twitter that Johanna did. In the interview she talks about moving to Canada to film a new show. Craig mentioned in an interview that he will be back for season 2 so did Shiri. Adam's fate is still up in the air. Breeda has 5 new movies coming out. All of them are already in the can. Grace has nothing else lined up.

Edited by earlbny