Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation Discussion

6 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

The New Yorker article also mentioned that the contestant in the confederate flag bikini has a storyline that ends in "a tragic turn".  My first thought was that she gets kicked off, and then some racist offended that she was on a show with a black man, shoots and perhaps kills her, after leaving the show.  I don't know if they would go there, but to me, a murder because of something they pushed on the show would probably qualify as "worse than suicide"

Yikes. you might be right. Haven't there been rumors of a shooting? I don't think the show would make the shooter an African-American character, so your scenario would fit.

• Love 1
(edited)

You might be right. It could be the shows way of killing someone again without actually killing someone. I want to find out so bad. I wish I was a perfessional reviewer so I could watch the episodes early. Sarah wants to go as dark as the network would let her. She wants to try and top least season. How else can you top least season.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1

Who was the woman they were trying to get to wear a hijab?  Was that Yael?  And I don't think it aired - I think they cut it... but initially I thought she would be offed by a crazy bigoted person... I wonder now if she was originally the one to get killed but they changed it due to the current political climate (i.e. Trump and his campaign).  I know they've finished filming, but I think they finished in early June?  So there would have been plenty of time to change a lot of stuff.

It's telling though that they cut the scenes trying to get the girl to wear the hijab - or did it air and I just forgot?

• Love 1
(edited)
57 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

The New Yorker article also mentioned that the contestant in the confederate flag bikini has a storyline that ends in "a tragic turn".  My first thought was that she gets kicked off, and then some racist offended that she was on a show with a black man, shoots and perhaps kills her, after leaving the show.  I don't know if they would go there, but to me, a murder because of something they pushed on the show would probably qualify as "worse than suicide"

I don't think that the contestant who wore the confederate flag bikini is the storyline that ends in tragedy, but Darius' storyline that ends in tragedy when he probably dies from whatever health problems that he has on the show!

Edited by Chris Burgess
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yael is the Jewish girl they call Hot Rachel. London's the one who was going to wear the hijab. It's sad that if Darius does I won't care because so far His charactor does nothing for me. Before last nights episode aired I though Darius was doing drugs or taking steroids.

I have a social media theory. The cast takes over Entertainment Weekly's snapchat for each episode. This week featured the woman who plays Beth Ann. She's the one who went home this week. I wonder if each week will feature the contestent who goes home. The 1st 2 weeks had random cast members but nobody went home. 

According to Constance Zimmer the season finale will leave your jaw on the floor.

http://redcarpetcrash.com/interview-constance-zimmer-talks-unreal/

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, earlbny said:

You might be right. It could be the shows way of killing someone again without actually killing someone. I want to find out so bad. I wish I was a perfessional reviewer so I could watch the episodes early. Sarah wants to go as dark as the network would let her. She wants to try and top least season. How else can you top least season.

I get getting as dark as you're allowed to, but I think moving too far away too fast from what made us like the first season could speed up the demise of the show - I mean, I was not bored yet, I could have taken a second season of the same dynamics, with a different suitor and different hamsters/contestants, without the network politics (hell, it was only a 10 episode season, I wanted more of the same). Has the show only been renewed for one more season and is Sarah hoping to get more seasons? Or is she determined to up the ante just to up the ante, regardless of what we want? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, NutMeg said:

I get getting as dark as you're allowed to, but I think moving too far away too fast from what made us like the first season could speed up the demise of the show - I mean, I was not bored yet, I could have taken a second season of the same dynamics, with a different suitor and different hamsters/contestants, without the network politics (hell, it was only a 10 episode season, I wanted more of the same). Has the show only been renewed for one more season and is Sarah hoping to get more seasons? Or is she determined to up the ante just to up the ante, regardless of what we want? 

Season one was organic. It was not perfect but it was so much better then what we've seen of season 2 so far. Sarah has compared this show to Breaking Bad and the Sopranos. I get the comparisons but  don't like them. Just be you. She's desperately trying to top last season. I don't think you have to do that. I would have been fine with more of the same or taken someone like Anna from last year and made her the suitor. I could be wrong but I believe Sarah said she does not read the stuff posted on social media.  I also believe she said she has an ending in mind for the show and that she wants it to go at least 5 seasons or soothing like that. the story always starts with Rachel and Quinn and then everything else.

• Love 6

Yeah, I'm thinking somebody gets murdered. We're being set up with characters who might have reason to do so: Brandi, "angry blacktivist" (sorry, I forget her name), redneck bikini girl, even Rachel. No doubt there will be others. Stay tuned. 

It is murder or someone dies in a grizzly accident or Chet's baby will be kidnapped on his watch.  Something grim anyway.   It is only a TV show centered on the outrageous.  Bring it on!  I am ready and waiting.  

(edited)

Here's a clip from next weeks episode. I love the way Rachel says watch me. The look on her face. Shiri has the best facial expressions. I also love when she cries. It gets me every single time. Thoughts?

Edited by earlbny
(edited)
5 hours ago, earlbny said:

Season one was organic. It was not perfect but it was so much better then what we've seen of season 2 so far. Sarah has compared this show to Breaking Bad and the Sopranos. I get the comparisons but  don't like them. Just be you. She's desperately trying to top last season. I don't think you have to do that. I would have been fine with more of the same or taken someone like Anna from last year and made her the suitor. I could be wrong but I believe Sarah said she does not read the stuff posted on social media.  I also believe she said she has an ending in mind for the show and that she wants it to go at least 5 seasons or soothing like that. the story always starts with Rachel and Quinn and then everything else.

Too bad if this is true.  Her reading feedback is what is going to get this back on track.  I do get why she doesn't. The majority of opinions on SM are negative and often abusive in general.  sigh  Maybe those close to her do, and relay the message that she needs to reel it in closer to the original premise. 

Edited by wings707
(edited)
21 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Too bad if this is true.  Her reading feedback is what is going to get this back on track.  I do get why she doesn't. The majority of opinions on SM are negative and often abusive in general.  sigh

I'll have to find the article where she said that. 

ETA: I found the article where she talks about social media. Sarah also talks about some other interesting things. She says Rachel can't leave everlasting. I don't buy that. I would personally love to see Rachel leave Everlasting and have a spin off show were we follow her journey in life. I bet if she left the show and moved to some place new and cleared her head she could easily make something of herself. I'd totally watch that.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/q-and-a/a59464/unreal-sarah-gertrude-shapiro-season-2-interview/

UnREAL gets a ton of attention on social media. Is that something that you pay much attention to?

I don't pay a lot of attention to it, only because I think as a writer, it's not great to respond to the internet, in general. Something I've seen on shows in seasons two or three is that they start playing to the cheap seats. Everyone loves one thing on Twitter, and all of the sudden, you're trying to do that thing three times in a season, because everyone loves it. I definitely see social media stuff a little bit, but I try to not pay attention to it. 

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, earlbny said:

I'll have to find the article where she said that. 

ETA: I found the article where she talks about social media. Sarah also talks about some other interesting things. She says Rachel can't leave everlasting. I don't buy that. I would personally love to see Rachel leave Everlasting and have a spin off show were we follow her journey in life. I bet if she left the show and moved to some place new and cleared her head she could easily make something of herself. I'd totally watch that.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/q-and-a/a59464/unreal-sarah-gertrude-shapiro-season-2-interview/

UnREAL gets a ton of attention on social media. Is that something that you pay much attention to?

I don't pay a lot of attention to it, only because I think as a writer, it's not great to respond to the internet, in general. Something I've seen on shows in seasons two or three is that they start playing to the cheap seats. Everyone loves one thing on Twitter, and all of the sudden, you're trying to do that thing three times in a season, because everyone loves it. I definitely see social media stuff a little bit, but I try to not pay attention to it. 

I pay no attention to SM unless something is posted in a show thread that I watch.  Which is why I had the wrong idea of why she not pay attention to it!  

I would watch a Rachael spin off too.  Great idea!  

Good article.  Thank you. Sounds like she may be reluctant to reel things in and closer to season one when it comes to three.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I pay no attention to SM unless something is posted in a show thread that I watch.  Which is why I had the wrong idea of why she not pay attention to it!  

I would watch a Rachael spin off too.  Great idea!  

Good article.  Thank you. Sounds like she may be reluctant to reel things in and closer to season one when it comes to three.  

To be honest I only joined twitter because Shiri joined. Other wise I would have no interest. While that's not completely true it's a big part of the reason. I tweet a lot of stuff to Shiri and UnREAL but other then that I don't really tweet.

The spin off can have Rachel move to Portland like Sarah did. It will probably never happen but I like the idea. Shiri's previous TV show Life Unexpected took place in Portland.

Your welcome. ITA with you. Maybe after season 2 comes to an end she'll have a better idea of what worked and what didn't.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, earlbny said:

To be honest I only joined twitter because Shiri joined. Other wise I would have no interest. While that's not completely true it's a big part of the reason. I tweet a lot of stuff to Shiri and UnREAL but other then that I don't really tweet.

The spin off can have Rachel move to Portland like Sarah did. It will probably never happen but I like the idea. Shiri's previous TV show Life Unexpected took place in Portland.

Your welcome. ITA with you. Maybe after season 2 comes to an end she'll have a better idea of what worked and what didn't.

I had a twitter account until yesterday.  I barely used it because I could not figure out some aspects of it.  I started getting texts from people thanking me that I followed them and people saying they were following me.  Ridiculous.  No one follows an inactive user and I certainly did not follow this woman who posts seductive pics of herself!  I deleted my account.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I had a twitter account until yesterday.  I barely used it because I could not figure out some aspects of it.  I started getting texts from people thanking me that I followed them and people saying they were following me.  Ridiculous.  No one follows an inactive user and I certainly did not follow this woman who posts seductive pics of herself!  I deleted my account.  

The one thing I hate about Twitter is the is the character limitation. By the time I tag all the people I want to tweet to I am about of characters. Last season someone did an interview with Shiri. They said we can tweet or email them questions. It was a no brainier. I emailed them. This way I can make the questions as long as I want. Plus I can send multiple questions all at once. I've had some random people, Internet models, fake accounts follow me or want to be my friend on Facebook. I just block them or ignore them. Shiri's Twitter account got hacked the other day. She seems to be back to normal now.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, okerry said:

Yeah, I'm thinking somebody gets murdered. We're being set up with characters who might have reason to do so: Brandi, "angry blacktivist" (sorry, I forget her name), redneck bikini girl, even Rachel. No doubt there will be others. Stay tuned. 

Ruby Carter is the name of the ''angry blacktivist'', and I don't think anyone will get murdered this season, I think that Darius will die from whatever serious illness that he is suffering from!

Edited by Chris Burgess
  • Love 1
(edited)

Shiri mentioned that while she was directing episode 6  "Casualty" she filmed a scene at a cemetery. I wonder what they were doing there? I feel like if Darius dies I wont be shocked. I'll probably be thinking he was sick and only a one season character. I am not sure what would make my jaw hit the floor. What could be the most extreme thing Sarah could come up with that was not done before? 

This was a great article. Shiri truly is the comeback kid.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/06/shiri-appleby-the-comeback-kid.html

Edited by earlbny
(edited)

Here's the summary for the sixth episode of season 2 of "UnREAL" (which is Shiri Appleby's directorial TV debut) that I got from TV Guide: "Rachel deals with a trauma, and Chet is there for her. Meanwhile, Quinn pursues a new relationship; Rachel learns something surprising on a hometown date; and an angry Darius makes a startling decision".

Any guesses on what "traumatic event" Rachel will deal with (I say it's Jeremy physically abusing her), and what surprising thing Rachel and Darius will learn about an "Everlasting" contestant on a hometwon date (I say she and Darius finds out something about Yael or some other contestant)? We all know that Quinn pursues a relationship with Ioan Gruffud's John Booth character!

Edited by Chris Burgess
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Chris Burgess said:

Any guesses on what "traumatic event" Rachel will deal with (I say it's Jeremy physically abusing her), and what surprising thing Rachel and Darius will learn about an "Everlasting" contestant on a hometwon date (I say she and Darius finds out something about Yael or some other contestant)? We all know that Quinn pursues a relationship with Ioan Gruffud's John Booth character!

From the Vulture article we know the episode contains a funeral scene attended by Quinn and the new network owner, where they kiss. We also know there's a scene where Quinn, Chet, Coleman, and Rachel debate calling the police. Presumably, they are debating calling the police because Jeremy has attacked Rachel. A funeral attended by both Quinn and her new love interest would have to be one for Quinn's father, wouldn't you think? It seems early in their relationship (since at this point they haven't met yet) for him to go to her father's funeral. But I don't think anyone either in front of the Everlasting cameras or behind its scenes will die at this point since that would have to happen in episode 5 and it doesn't feel like they're building to that (yet). The only other possibility could be that the hometown visit is Chantal and they film at the grave of her dead fiance, but Vulture quoted Shiri Appleby specifically calling it a "funeral," and a graveside visit to a long-dead person wouldn't be a funeral. I don't think I've read any hints about who the hometown visit could belong to, but the most provocative one would be Beth Ann. The New Yorker article mentioned her story takes a 'tragic turn.' (A traumatic event and a tragic turn - what surprising plotting!) Perhaps her hometown visit sets that in motion.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:42 AM, BingeyKohan said:

From the Vulture article we know the episode contains a funeral scene attended by Quinn and the new network owner, where they kiss. We also know there's a scene where Quinn, Chet, Coleman, and Rachel debate calling the police. Presumably, they are debating calling the police because Jeremy has attacked Rachel. A funeral attended by both Quinn and her new love interest would have to be one for Quinn's father, wouldn't you think? It seems early in their relationship (since at this point they haven't met yet) for him to go to her father's funeral. But I don't think anyone either in front of the Everlasting cameras or behind its scenes will die at this point since that would have to happen in episode 5 and it doesn't feel like they're building to that (yet). The only other possibility could be that the hometown visit is Chantal and they film at the grave of her dead fiance, but Vulture quoted Shiri Appleby specifically calling it a "funeral," and a graveside visit to a long-dead person wouldn't be a funeral. I don't think I've read any hints about who the hometown visit could belong to, but the most provocative one would be Beth Ann. The New Yorker article mentioned her story takes a 'tragic turn.' (A traumatic event and a tragic turn - what surprising plotting!) Perhaps her hometown visit sets that in motion.

And in that Vulture article, Craig Bierko says a line as Chet saying they won't call the police! Why would they even think of letting Jeremy get away with attacking Rachel? WTF?!?!?!?! I don't see how Jeremy could possibly last beyond this season after he physically abuses his ex-girlfriend!

And also in that Vulture article according to "UnREAL" EP and director Adam Kane, the conflict between Coleman and Quinn/Chet will pay off later? Does he mean the conflict bewteen Colen and Quinn/Chet will have a pay off, or will there be a pay off for Jeremy attacking Rachel?

Edited by Chris Burgess
(edited)

I saw an advance screening of next weeks episode but I was told that I can't reveal any spoilers.  However I can post this link. 

http://cartermatt.com/212447/unreal-season-2-episode-6-preview-surprises-store-casualty/

ETA: Here's the episode description from episode 7.

Ambush

Season 2, Ep 7, Airs 7/18/16

EPISODE DESCRIPTION

Quinn interferes with Rachel and Coleman's new relationship; Darius decides to take a break from the show with Romeo; and Rachel makes a decision with dangerous consequences. Meanwhile, an unexpected visitor stops by the set.

Edited by earlbny
3 hours ago, earlbny said:

I saw an advance screening of next weeks episode but I was told that I can't reveal any spoilers.  However I can post this link. 

http://cartermatt.com/212447/unreal-season-2-episode-6-preview-surprises-store-casualty/

ETA: Here's the episode description from episode 7.

Ambush

Season 2, Ep 7, Airs 7/18/16

EPISODE DESCRIPTION

Quinn interferes with Rachel and Coleman's new relationship; Darius decides to take a break from the show with Romeo; and Rachel makes a decision with dangerous consequences. Meanwhile, an unexpected visitor stops by the set.

I think the "unexpected visitor" that stops by the "Everlasting" set in S2E7 is either Adam (who wants to get back together with Rachel) or Jeremy (who wants to seek revenge against Chet, Rachel, Quinn, and Coleman for having him fired from the show)!

My new speculative theory (or possibly just fan fiction): The reason Booth, the new network owner, mentioned his love for Beth Ann was not to show how granular his Everlasting fandom is; it's to lay pipe for a story where he turns out to be a Trump-like figure, seeking to play to the lowest common denominator. (I could see SGS wanting to take on Trump.) Possibly whatever happens with Beth Ann next week and the man who appears, in previews, to be on the attack could play into this. Maybe whatever happens, he insists to Quinn that it be edited to be favorable to the racist contingent and be falsified to disparage Darius. This will turn out to be the line that Quinn won't cross (perhaps putting her in mind of her father's values) and she'll enlist Rachel to go against Booth, bringing her and Rachel back together. (Or maybe I'm giving the show too much credit and whatever happens will be the Mary-suicide equivalent, just a late-in-the-season shock-value play.)

(edited)

Last week I got to see an advance screening of Episode 6. I was also treated to a Q&A afterwards. Some of the audience at least the random people I spoke to had not seen the show at all. Some had never even heard of it. I wont give anything away. I will say that I missed a lot of lines from next weeks episode because the audience was laughing so hard. Especially at next weeks shocking moment.

Good theory's everyone. Constance said the finale will leave your jaw on the floor. I wonder what could happen that leaves my jaw on the floor? Adams been confirmed that he comes back. So my guess is that Adams the unexpected visitor that stops by the set. Maybe Jeremy talks to Adam and gets him to return. 

One of the actors seen in the promo for next week is Zach McGowan. He was on Shameless and Black Sails.  I wonder if Shiri got to cast him for that role. Shiri's friends with him in real life and she was the director on that episode. 

Edited by earlbny
3 hours ago, earlbny said:

I will say that I missed a lot of lines from next weeks episode because the audience was laughing so hard. Especially at next weeks shocking moment.

They were laughing at the 'shocking moment'? Was your take that the moment was meant to be shockingly funny, or was the humor unintentional (on the writers' part)?

(edited)
2 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

They were laughing at the 'shocking moment'? Was your take that the moment was meant to be shockingly funny, or was the humor unintentional (on the writers' part)?

It was meant to be funny. I found it to be almost silly.

ETA: Here's an article with Stacy Rukeyser. I don't buy everything she said. I never once felt sorry for Jeremy. I left her some tweets on Twitter. I was honest with her. I am a New Yorker and tell it like it is. Thought? 

http://flavorwire.com/583402/unreal-executive-producer-stacy-rukeyser-on-rubys-romance-jeremys-anger-and-falling-for-the-princess-fantasy-again?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow&utm_campaign=FlavorwireSocial

Edited by earlbny

That is a bizarrely edited interview - you had to really struggle to first understand it was a Q and A and then to decipher what were the Q's and what were the A's. And I don't think I'd keep watching a Rachel wallowing in enough self-hatred that she'd take Jeremy back. That's not an interpretation of Rachel's character I can get behind.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

That is a bizarrely edited interview - you had to really struggle to first understand it was a Q and A and then to decipher what were the Q's and what were the A's. And I don't think I'd keep watching a Rachel wallowing in enough self-hatred that she'd take Jeremy back. That's not an interpretation of Rachel's character I can get behind.

Yeah, I will drop this show like a bad habit if Rachel gets back with Jeremy.

I think its a great show, but, no thanks.  It probably happens in real life, I get it, but TV is about escapism for me...if I want reality, I'll watch an episode of Frontline.

• Love 2
(edited)

ITA with everything both of you said. I wish they would read this messageboard. If you had a poll Jeremy would be out. I may get pissed and frustrated however I won't be giving up on this show. We still have 5 more episodes. I hope the 2nd half is better and they don't keep Jeremy around.

Edited by earlbny

Commenters on another site are speculating that Jeremy returns as a mass shooter. Someone pat me on the head and reassure me that's not true. Not because I fear for the characters, but because I don't think that development belongs in the world or the themes of this show.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

Commenters on another site are speculating that Jeremy returns as a mass shooter. Someone pat me on the head and reassure me that's not true. Not because I fear for the characters, but because I don't think that development belongs in the world or the themes of this show.

If that happened, that would turn me off the show forever.  The Jeremy character change already feels inorganic to me, but mass shooter would be a step too far.  However, if we can turn to earlbny's posts as guidance for the next episode, if Jeremy came back as a mass shooter I don't think the response would be "laughter", so I think Jeremy as a mass shooter is just wild speculation.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
(edited)

I never heard that mass shooter speculation. If memory serves SGS said they don't want to repeat themselves and nobody dies this season. Sadly mass shootings are a big news topic. I think SGS likes to pat herself on the back by saying we did things 1st. Especially this season. Has there ever been a mass shooting on a TV show? If that plot turns out to be true it would be in a later episode. Constance Zimmer said the season finale will leave your jaw on the floor.

Edited by earlbny
46 minutes ago, earlbny said:

I never heard that mass shooter speculation. If memory serves SGS said they don't want to repeat themselves and nobody dies this season. Sadly mass shootings are a big news topic. I think SGS likes to pat herself on the back by saying we did things 1st. Especially this season. Has there ever been a mass shooting on a TV show? If that plot turns out to be true it would be in a later episode. Constance Zimmer said the season finale will leave your jaw on the floor.

I can't think of one that wasn't a school shooting - off the top of my head, there have been school shooting episodes of Buffy (though, she was able to stop it), Glee, One Tree Hill, and Degrassi.   

1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I can't think of one that wasn't a school shooting - off the top of my head, there have been school shooting episodes of Buffy (though, she was able to stop it), Glee, One Tree Hill, and Degrassi.   

Thanks for the info. I've seen bits and pieces of the 1st 2 shows but none of the 2nd 2 shows.

Here's a new interview with Constance Zimmer. The quote below sounds interesting. I wonder if that happened yet?  

http://www.bustle.com/articles/168295-unreal-star-constance-zimmer-doesnt-want-you-to-get-a-money-dck-power-tattoo-but-she

"There’s some stuff coming up [this season] that’s going to be very hard to watch, because I think we all love the Quinn and Rachel dynamic and I just keep telling people 'Don’t worry it’s going to be for a greater common goal in the end,' and hopefully the ride will be worth it," says Zimmer.