Type keyword(s) to search

Murder, She Wrote - General Discussion

• Start Topic

WAHOO!!! The DVDS have subtitles/closed captioning! So many other shows that are released by other distributors don’t provide that. I’ve stated in those forums how it’s unfair to those viewers who are hearing impaired. 

But, I digress. Watching the pilot now.

But I have to admit that aside from Seth, Amos, and Loretta, I despise all the other Cabot Cove residents who are a bunch bigots and racists.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But I have to admit that aside from Seth, Amos, and Loretta, I despise all the other Cabot Cove residents who are a bunch bigots and racists.

That might explain the high death rate in town...

😉

Edited by Schnickelfritz
  • LOL 2
On 10/21/2022 at 9:54 AM, Schnickelfritz said:

Sadly, one of the subjects of the "heated" debate over the best sheriff of Cabot Cove died yesterday.

Ron Masak was 86.

RIP

Aw, I didn’t hear about this one. And I’m shocked to learn there was only a 10 year difference in age between him and Angela, it always seemed like Sheriff Metzger was a generation younger than  Jessica, Amos, and Seth.

I always loved Ron Masak’s gravelly voice, it’s so distinctive. And as a sheriff, he certainly gave off more of an air of authority than Amos, who seemed more like the town grandfather than sheriff.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:52 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I just love that Jessica, Seth, and Amos have the "Down East" accent--whereas most of the citizens don't! Well, Correen does. And none of the deputies did except for the ginger-headed Floyd, before they got rid of him for that dullard, Andy.

Yeah, Andy was a bit of a void in the personality department. Floyd was amusingly inept and it was funny how he drove mort crazy.

• Love 4

Okay up to season three and interestingly enough, not too much editing has been done from the episodes on HMMC-since I just recently watched them. But I was wrong in “Unfinished Business” regarding Bosley and Moran-they technically had two scenes together, but had no dialogue between each other. The first was her character, Maggie, screaming and running out of her cabin at seeing a body-to Jessica and Amos. The next scene, she’s sitting at the table and Amos is talking to Jessica-nodding his head toward Maggie, about how he can’t question her because he doesn’t have jurisdiction. Still sad for me.

Same with Peter Graves and Greg Morris, who were on Mission Impossible together as part of the same team, but had no dialogue between their characters in “Lovers and Other Killers” except for seeing Jessica in the hospital after she was pushed down the stairs.

And while David may not have killed the women, he definitely was stalking Jessica. Just by his skeevy and presumptuous behavior. Forgot, my ass, when he helped himself to enter her hotel room AFTER she told him not to do it again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Up to season five now and first:

🥹😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭Papa Walton/Papa Gibbs was the killer in “Alma Murder” and I would have preferred if it had been Steven’s cold fish of a wife. Don’t get me wrong-she had every right to be angry at Steve for cheating on her; but she was downright rude to Jessica when introduced to her.

And Mannix Mike Connors too! What a waste of an episode in “Truck Stop” when he could have been another good recurring character. That episode was beyond boring and STOOPID.

OOH LOOK! Mama Walton in “The Legacy of Trevor Hudson” also in season five!

And we learn that Frank had at least two brothers-as Grady is a Fletcher, and clearly not Neil and Constance’s son.

So many General Hospital alumni! 
And we at least got dialogue in season five’s premiere that Amos retired and moved to Kentucky, despite Claude Akins’s assumption the show would be about him, I wish we’d gotten a line what had happened to Ethan.

And OMGEE!!!❤️🥰 💕 💗❤️ Kabir Bedi❤️😘💕💗❤️ in season four’s “Curse of the Daanav” had me swooning and so happy he was NOT the killer. While Bedi never made it big in Bollywood, he was relatively successful in Hollywood, appearing on prime time soaps and day time.

I do appreciate that the writers got the fact that his character Vikram Singh, was Hindu, and not a Muslim, as Jessica explained to the Moronic Maroon of a cop. But they got who the Daanavs were-they were demons in Indian mythology-WRONG. And Angela pronounced Divali correctly, except it’s Diwali.

AAAAND, Maryland and even DC’s cabs aren’t NEW YORK yellow or even that hideous green. And the Maryland police officers’ uniforms are khaki, not blue on blue as shown.

And I HATE they killed Seth’s brother after they made up after 30 years!

More thought later.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Aaand Universal drops in quality with the Season Six DVDs. Specifically the subtitles. They changed the font to boring old Arial, and now whenever Seth says “Ayah” now, the subtitles show “yeah” which just irks me.

This is probably unpopular, but Inteally don’t like Jean Simmons. Both her characters in the season five season finale and in the Perry Mason movie “The Case of the Lost Love” are cold, narcissistic and unlikeable. For this show, it’s pretty clear why.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
On 10/25/2022 at 9:20 AM, ljenkins782 said:
On 10/17/2022 at 4:52 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I just love that Jessica, Seth, and Amos have the "Down East" accent--whereas most of the citizens don't! Well, Correen does. And none of the deputies did except for the ginger-headed Floyd, before they got rid of him for that dullard, Andy.

Yeah, Andy was a bit of a void in the personality department.

I agree that Andy was sort of dull, but Louis Herthum has had a surprisingly successful career. He keeps popping up in interesting projects like The Last Exorcism, True Blood, and Westworld. I just watched the new Amazon Prime series The Peripheral where he shows up as a crime boss. I still have trouble seeing him as anything other than Deputy Andy, though.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I agree that Andy was sort of dull, but Louis Herthum has had a surprisingly successful career. He keeps popping up in interesting projects like The Last Exorcism, True Blood, and Westworld. I just watched the new Amazon Prime series The Peripheral where he shows up as a crime boss. I still have trouble seeing him as anything other than Deputy Andy, though.

Unless it was for more opportunities (I couldn’t believe he was one of the torturing goons on Prison Break), Bill Bye’s Floyd was such a charming character. 

And though the age gap isn’t as large, Jessica reminds me so much of my former high school English teacher-she helped me to be the best student and writer in her and future college classes. Sadly, I lost touch with her years ago when she and her husband (another former teacher) moved from home to take care of their elderly parents. Wish I knew how to find them. She was like my second mom.

But, I digress.

I question some of the bonus material that barely focus on this show and Angela Lansbury, and more on Miami Vice, and other cop shows. 😒🙄🙄But at least we get interviews with Dame Angela and the creators of the show. And a couple of their writers.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/23/2022 at 2:02 PM, MerBearHou said:

Isn’t that a kick?!?  Sooo many future stars showed up early on Murder She Wrote.  The list is long.  

Both George Clooney and Julianna Marguiles guest-starred several years before finding fame on ER, though in different episodes. Neither of them was the killer, BTW.

1 hour ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Both George Clooney and Julianna Marguiles guest-starred several years before finding fame on ER, though in different episodes. Neither of them was the killer, BTW.

Eh. I give Facts of Life for introducing future stars in the making for Clooney.

My heart just broke awhile ago as I watched the episode “If the Shoe Fits” that starred Jonathan Brandis. Such talent and cut so short.

I really hate the recast of Howard, Vicki’s husband, originally played by Jeff Conoway. That cardboard Dean Butler replaced him. Now all of a sudden he doesn’t want Vicki to work, forgetting that if she didn’t, they’d have no income. And his “acting” was horrible. No wonder no one would hire him. Yeah, yeah, It was the 80s, blah, blah, blah. Considering that Jessica was her aunt, Vicki was so very passive and weak.

And now I feel bad about saying how I don’t like the glammed up Jessica-as Dame Angela wanted that and loved it when she got to dress up!

Oh! And as for Lucie Arnaz and Patty Mc-whaterface’s detectives as being a satire of Cagney and Lacey? They were obnoxious-Lucile’s moreso, as Cagney & Lacey were already on the air and on the same network! Now I can’t remember if Tyne Daley or Sharon Gless guest starred .

In addition to noting all the soap stars, not just from General Hospital, but Days, Capitol, Young & The Restless, I love seeing actors from the Golden Age of Hollywood!

• Love 1

Up to the end of 8-yes, zipping through because I’m skipping the NY ones that look boring-starting actors I’m BLAH about. 

Dame Angela’s nephew, David, so far has appeared in two episodes-from 6? 7? as the victim, and in the season finale of 8. Just noticed her brother Bruce, as a producer credit in the finale.

I really wanted that snotty, lying, petulant asshole nephew of the victim to have been the murderer in “Badge of Honor” instead of Niles the cuckolded husband, Disham.

Whaaaat???

And Boo. We won’t see Grady any more after his last appearance in Season 11, Episode 18! I can’t remember if we know how many children he has by then. Last we saw him, in season six, Donna was 7 months pregnant. In season 7 “Murder, Plain and Simple” Jessica talks about getting an anniversary present for them when she travels through Lancaster, PA, but no mention of their baby.

And now for the anal-retentive/nitpicking topic:

Season 8 has moved from showing ”Ayah” as “yeah” to “Ah, yeah”🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Love 1

Oh, I am soooo tired now. Just started Season 11 late last night and one of the reviewers was right-the second or third episode is a repeat or added from a season 10 episode set in London with Theodore Bikel (I'm blanking on the name). The show has deviated so much from the first five or six seasons, which were the best. Hell, before they sent Jessica off to live in New York, the show was much better. I don't like them as much.

Even when we have the Cabot Cove episodes, we no longer have Ideal, Loretta, or Phyllis. Just Eve.

And I thought the recast of Howard was because Jeff Conaway wasn't available, yet in season 10, he's back as a different character! I loved his portrayal of Howard so much more than that one note, mealy mouthed whiner, Dean Butler.

And I probably missed it, since I'm not watching all of the New York episodes, but early in season nine, "The Mole" I think it was, Lt. Gelber said that he was 11 days away from retirement; yet he shows up again-not RETIRED at the middle of the season and even in season 10. Did he change his mind?

Then there's "Family Secrets" which just annoyed me. Because as someone who was an adopted nobody, working two jobs and going to night school, Sally wasn't "good enough" and didn't come from the "right family" to date the heir apparent, Neal Latimer. Oh, but Randall (poor guy) discovering that she was the daughter of Maggie Babbington, who had died in the asylum, makes her A-Okay to date and marry-because she now has all that money!

And yup, the fact that you're going to lose all the Babbington money, now that you've learned Maggie had a child and that money goes to her, will make you crazy to the point of killing the man who was going to write about it. Like I'm supposed to feel any kind of sympathy for Janet? PUHLEAZE. It's just the way it was framed, I'm sure I was supposed to feel bad for her.

And Jessica was right when she dubbed Cabot Cove Maine's version (or whatever she said) of Peyton's Place. Because it SO IS.

• Love 3
On 10/31/2022 at 9:33 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Then there's "Family Secrets" which just annoyed me. Because as someone who was an adopted nobody, working two jobs and going to night school, Sally wasn't "good enough" and didn't come from the "right family" to date the heir apparent, Neal Latimer. Oh, but Randall (poor guy) discovering that she was the daughter of Maggie Babbington, who had died in the asylum, makes her A-Okay to date and marry-because she now has all that money!

And yup, the fact that you're going to lose all the Babbington money, now that you've learned Maggie had a child and that money goes to her, will make you crazy to the point of killing the man who was going to write about it. Like I'm supposed to feel any kind of sympathy for Janet? PUHLEAZE. It's just the way it was framed, I'm sure I was supposed to feel bad for her.

The thing that drives me crazy about this episode is that Randy discovering the identity of Margaret's child was such a feat of investigative journalism and such a loaded topic that it got him killed. But all Jessica had to do was pick up the phone and go "hi institution, can you tell me how Margaret Babbington died??" and boom, in 5 minutes flat, she has all the info Randy spent so much time digging up and the whole mystery is solved.

I've been falling asleep to the show on Peacock lately, sometimes they just take it too far with the bumbling sheriff thing. Like in Crossed Up, Jessica hears a local call where an old man on an estate will be shot to death that night. Lo and behold, an old man on an estate is shot to death that very night and they have Amos insisting it was a coincidental robbery because the window was broken in. It strains credibility that the sheriff would be that dumb and unimaginative. What would the town have done if Jessica hadn't been there to solve all his cases? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 10/27/2022 at 8:15 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And OMGEE!!!❤️🥰 💕 💗❤️ Kabir Bedi❤️😘💕💗❤️ in season four’s “Curse of the Daanav” had me swooning and so happy he was NOT the killer. While Bedi never made it big in Bollywood, he was relatively successful in Hollywood, appearing on prime time soaps and day time.

I do appreciate that the writers got the fact that his character Vikram Singh, was Hindu, and not a Muslim, as Jessica explained to the Moronic Maroon of a cop. But they got who the Daanavs were-they were demons in Indian mythology-WRONG. And Angela pronounced Divali correctly, except it’s Diwali.

AAAAND, Maryland and even DC’s cabs aren’t NEW YORK yellow or even that hideous green. And the Maryland police officers’ uniforms are khaki, not blue on blue as shown.

And I HATE they killed Seth’s brother after they made up after 30 years!

More thought later.

I'm just glad that for once, the much younger wife wasn't the killer or a gold-digger and was genuinely in love with him and that neither of his children were either, despite their dislike of the wife and fear of being cut off financially.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I'm just glad that for once, the much younger wife wasn't the killer or a gold-digger

That was surprising because the actress played a conniving wench who facilitated the kidnapping of Kimberly Brady and Shane's baby on Days of Our Lives. Of course, she was the estranged wife of Shane's, so that could have been a factor!😝

• Like 1

MeTV doesn't air MSW that I know of.    DO you mean COZI?  I think they use to have it on in the mornings before Quincy but it appears to be gone now.  COZI seems to has dropped almost all of their retro shows.

On a different note, MSW returns to Hallmark tomorrow night.   I figured their Christmas sap would run at least another week.

Also, GAC Family has picked up MSW, along with Columbo and Little House on the Prairie, all of which have been run to death on various other networks. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Maverick said:

MeTV doesn't air MSW that I know of.    DO you mean COZI?  I think they use to have it on in the mornings before Quincy but it appears to be gone now.  COZI seems to has dropped almost all of their retro shows.

On a different note, MSW returns to Hallmark tomorrow night.   I figured their Christmas sap would run at least another week.

Also, GAC Family has picked up MSW, along with Columbo and Little House on the Prairie, all of which have been run to death on various other networks. 

Thanks for the correction. I don’t get Hallmark so no MSW for me 😢

• Sad 1
39 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

FYI starting on Sunday Murder She Wrote will begin airing on the Start network. This will be a big help when Hallmark goes all Christmas all the time.

According to my OnTVTonight.com (for Rochester NY) the MSW marathon begins at noon EDT with the MSW 1997 movie, "South by Southwest." 

This is followed at 2pm EDT with the second season, running through midnight, EDT,
which is then followed by season 1, episodes 1-6, through 7am EDT,
immediately followed by 2.11-3.4 through 11pm EDT Monday, July 3.
Then, at 11pm, we jump back to episodes 1.7 through 1.14 until 7am Tues.
3.5-3.20 run from 7am through 11pm Tues.
Then, at 11pm Tues., we jump back to episodes 1.15-1.22 through 7am Wed.
7am-9am Wed. is the 2003 MSW movie, The Celtic Riddle.
This is immediately followed (again) by 1.1., parts 1 & 2.

• Useful 3
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

According to my OnTVTonight.com (for Rochester NY) the MSW marathon begins at noon EDT with the MSW 1997 movie, "South by Southwest." 

This is followed at 2pm EDT with the second season, running through midnight, EDT,
which is then followed by season 1, episodes 1-6, through 7am EDT,
immediately followed by 2.11-3.4 through 11pm EDT Monday, July 3.
Then, at 11pm, we jump back to episodes 1.7 through 1.14 until 7am Tues.
3.5-3.20 run from 7am through 11pm Tues.
Then, at 11pm Tues., we jump back to episodes 1.15-1.22 through 7am Wed.
7am-9am Wed. is the 2003 MSW movie, The Celtic Riddle.
This is immediately followed (again) by 1.1., parts 1 & 2.

Oh wow, thank you for all of this!  I’ve never seen the MSW movie “South by Southwest” so will look for the Start network.  Of course, seen every MSW episode so many times and yet I enjoy re-watching (some more than others — love all of the ones with Seth).  

• Like 3

Thoughts watching season 5:

Holy crap it's Megan Mullally!

Are they doing a Cagney and Lacey parody?

Grady finally got married.

There are 2 episodes where Jessica is involved in a spy plot and they each have someone from Grease 2 in it.

Nice film noir homage starring Mannix.

Are they taking a shot at Mariel Hemingway(Actress granddaughter of a famous macho writer)?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Fool to cry said:

100%.  With Lucie Arnaz as Mary Beth no less.

1 hour ago, Fool to cry said:

Nice film noir homage starring Mannix.

I hate this episode.  First strike is that it's another episode where Jessica is roped into some strangers drama by lying manipulation.  The scenery--and story--are dreary.  And other than Peter Haskell's character, everyone is pretty reprehensible. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

I hate this episode.  First strike is that it's another episode where Jessica is roped into some strangers drama by lying manipulation.  The scenery--and story--are dreary.  And other than Peter Haskell's character, everyone is pretty reprehensible. 

Well it's supposed to be a Film Noir takeoff so the characters are supposed to be that way. I didn't really get the point of the English guy being there.

Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless beat Angela so many times at the Emmys by then I guess the writers didn't hold back!

Love Jerry Orbach as Lenny Briscoe but not as Harry McGraw. The next episode has Paul Sorvino who Orbach replaced on Law & Order.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

I HATED THAT EPISODE. HATED the spoofing of two of my favorite cops!

9 hours ago, Maverick said:

UGH to the first one.

And with you, 10000000000% with the noir episode. I really, really, really wanted Mannix er, Connors to survive. Yeah, yeah, noir, blah, blah, fishcakes!

7 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

The next episode has Paul Sorvino who Orbach replaced on Law & Order.

And I hated that Paulie, Phil Sorvino was the killer. Such a sad sack of a character. Orbach's McGraw was just Lennie, if Lennie hadn't been a cop.

Whaaat??? He had the same snarkiness and wise-assery, but coming from the other side of Law and Order! PUN intended!

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
13 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

I HATED THAT EPISODE. HATED the spoofing of two of my favorite cops!

I hate that episode too -- cannot STAND how Lucie Arnaz plays the character and her annoying voice is like nails on a chalkboard.  It's a skip for me every time it re-airs.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I hated that Paulie, Phil Sorvino was the killer. Such a sad sack of a character. Orbach's McGraw was just Lennie, if Lennie hadn't been a cop.

In the earlier Hemingway episode the actress who played the British publisher seemed familiar and I realized she was on Star Trek The Next Generation as Worf's human adoptive mother who was Russian. Sorvino played Worf's adopted brother in a later episode(basically her son). J

Now watching Jean Simmons, who was also on TNG as the Starfleet version of Senator McCarthy ("I've taken down bigger men than you PICARD!!")  is playing Jessica's mystey author rival. And she's married to the White Shadow!

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

Now watching Jean Simmons, who was also on TNG as the Starfleet version of Senator McCarthy ("I've taken down bigger men than you PICARD!!")  is playing Jessica's mystey author rival. And she's married to the White Shadow!

Oh, I HAAAATED Jean's character as Jessica's jealousy twisted rival! And Ken Howard would show up three more times? Once more as the crooked politician, and then as one of Jessica's friends with the cute doggie in those off-episodes where Jessica was telling the audience about a friend. I think he might have been in one more as a DA? Too lazy to look it up.

And I ADORED Ken! I've always wished that my other favorite tv detective would show up-Robert Urich. You know, Dan Tanna!

• Like 1

Jean Simmons and Ken Howard had to be one of the strangest married pairings ever!  I loved Ken Howard in everything he did though.  I did enjoy those 2 episodes very much because of the sweet Jessica/Seth moments.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Maverick said:

Ken Howard was in Death in Hawaii where he plays Jessica's friend who's the head of sla vaguely Kennedy -esque family. 

And also in a season 1 episode Murder at the Oasis where he plays the police officer who turns out to be the hired killer hit man. 

Edited by Seelouis

I happened to see a 1975* Tattletales game today with Ron Masak (Sheriff Mort Metzger on MSW) and his wife, Kay.
He was so youthful and lively and funny!  
They were married for 50 years, and had 6 kids!

—————————

* deets for future reference:

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

There's also a 24/7 Murder She Wrote channel on Pluto now...

Also on my Roku free Live options — but I'm not sure if it has all of the seasons. 
Probably, since they recently aired the “movies.”

You know, I've had my issues with what the censors bleep out in my Law & Order shows, but for goodness sakes! Why in the world would Amazon Prime, bleep out Vonnegut when Angela mentions "Kurt Vonnegut" in season one?! For the life of me, I can't suss out any swear words or something that is bleep worthy!

7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Why in the world would Amazon Prime, bleep out Vonnegut when Angela mentions "Kurt Vonnegut" in season one?! For the life of me, I can't suss out any swear words or something that is bleep worthy!

"gut"???
Which episode?

1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

"gut"???
Which episode?

I think it was the one with Andrew Stevens' stalker/maybe killer in "Lovers & Other Killers"?  I just did another marathon rewatch a couple of weeks ago, and noticed it and my jaw literally dropped.

If it's for "gut" than that's stupid, because how many times in the episodes, do we hear "my gut" told me this or that?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You know, I've had my issues with what the censors bleep out in my Law & Order shows, but for goodness sakes! Why in the world would Amazon Prime, bleep out Vonnegut when Angela mentions "Kurt Vonnegut" in season one?! For the life of me, I can't suss out any swear words or something that is bleep worthy!

I think the subtitling couldn't figure out the word Vonnegut. The character of David clearly says the name, but it shows up as XXXX on captions.

16 hours ago, Schnickelfritz said:

I think the subtitling couldn't figure out the word Vonnegut. The character of David clearly says the name, but it shows up as XXXX on captions.

That's what the networks MeTV and FeTV use in the Perry Mason episodes, for "Dick" when it's used as short for Richard, "Cocktail" but put the XXXs in the first four letters, and other words. So I don't think it's that they couldn't figure it out, because he was a well known author. For those two stations, closed captioning is provided by the Department of Education. Not sure who is responsible for the closed captioning for Amazon Prime.