Type keyword(s) to search

One is the Loneliest Number: Unpopular GG Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)

My new unpopular opinion is that I kind of wish Rory hadn't been accepted at Harvard. In A Tale of Poes and Fire, Lorelai points out to Rory that her pro list for Yale is much longer than those for Harvard or Princeton but other than Yale being fairly local we are never told what the other reasons are. I think that seeing her deal with not achieving her long held goal of getting into Harvard but instead getting into an almost as prestigious university, but one with such a strong family legacy, would have been more interesting than her changing her mind for nebulous reasons.

How she adjusted to being at Yale, when it was not really her choice to be there would have made for a more interesting season 4 than what we got.

Edited by AllyB
Wrong college name, completely changing the meaning of my OU
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, AllyB said:

Lorelai points out to Rory that her pro list for Yale is much longer than those for Harvard or Princeton but other than Yale being fairly local we are never told what the other reasons are

I would think the opportunity to work on the Yale Daily News - which had long been a highly regarded student newspaper and the jumping off spot for a number of journalists - would have been one of the top reasons. An Ivy League undergraduate education and the possibility of substantive journalism experience sounds like a great combination for someone with Rory's interests and ambitions.

Edited by dustylil

I would think the opportunity to work on the Yale Daily News - which had long been a highly regarded student newspaper and the jumping off spot for a number of journalists - would have been one of the top reasons.

I don't know, is the Yale Daily News really all that special?  I don't have experience with it, but I can't imagine it's really all that different than the Crimson or Daily Pennsylvanian, at least to the point where it would make me choose one school over the other.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2016 at 0:24 PM, amensisterfriend said:

Every time I read the insightful posts about the GG's exhaustingly problematic romantic relationship and the way that AS-P chose to depict her male characters, I come closer and closer to the very UO that AS-P's original intention was to have both Gilmores end up contentedly single, deviating from the usual 'happy ending' by having both of them conclude they were their happier and better selves while single, at least for the foreseeable future. And even if that wasn't ever her intention, after seeing the way AS-P writes her characters and romantic relationships in general, I can't help but think it should have been :) 

Also, on a non-romance related note and because it's been sadly long since we talked about unpopular opinions about episodes, I was recently reminded that I LOVE the generally unpopular The Third Lorelai, like to the point where it's definitely in my top five S1 episodes :) 

Love your screen name, amensisterfriend :)

I wonder how much of Amy's vision was communicated to the producers in season 7. Both girls did end the series technically single but it does make you speculate what did Amy see in their future. I was satisfied with the ending and glad Rory turned down the marriage proposal. Nothing against the Rory/Logan, I just think they were too young to take that big step.

I like The Third Lorelai too, though it's because I enjoy Trix. I think that may be an unpopular opinion, people seem to dislike her. I think she's hilarious. Her close relationship with Richard, the fact that she gives Lorelai credit for her hard work and raising Rory, and her criticism of Emily make me like her.

3 hours ago, AllyB said:

My new unpopular opinion is that I kind of wish Rory hadn't been accepted at Harvard. In A Tale of Poes and Fire, Lorelai points out to Rory that her pro list for Yale is much longer than those for Harvard or Princeton but other than Yale being fairly local we are never told what the other reasons are. I think that seeing her deal with not achieving her long held goal of getting into Harvard but instead getting into an almost as prestigious university, but one with such a strong family legacy, would have been more interesting than her changing her mind for nebulous reasons.

How she adjusted to being at Yale, when it was not really her choice to be there would have made for a more interesting season 4 than what we got.

Oh yes, I would have liked that too. If Rory could have had the Paris storyline of not getting in to Harvard but still getting in to Yale. It would have injected a little realism into the show. But I guess they gave it to Paris to keep her part of the plot. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, hippielamb said:

I enjoy Trix. I think that may be an unpopular opinion, people seem to dislike her. I think she's hilarious. Her close relationship with Richard, the fact that she gives Lorelai credit for her hard work and raising Rory, and her criticism of Emily make me like her

I enjoyed her as well. In addition to the points you raised, she was also a woman of accomplishment and influence - and at a time when such women were  scarce on the ground. Now if we had only been given some explanation as to her sartorial choices.

• Love 3
(edited)

In addition to the points you raised, she was also a woman of accomplishment and influence - and at a time when such women were  scarce on the ground.

I'm fairly certain her "influence" was in direct correlation to her wealth.  As for her accomplishments, I understood she donated to charity, studied at college and cared for soldiers during World War 2.  That's very good on her part, but hardly revolutionary.  I'm not sure why there's a need to make her seem like some kind of pioneering woman when that does not seem to be the case. 

I was satisfied with the ending and glad Rory turned down the marriage proposal. Nothing against the Rory/Logan, I just think they were too young to take that big step.

I was happy when Rory turned down the proposal.  It wasn't that she was too young, so much as it was the wrong time in her life to commit to Logan in that manner. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 3
  • 3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

As for her accomplishments, I understood she donated to charity, studied at college and cared for soldiers during World War 2.  That's very good on her part, but hardly revolutionary.  I'm not sure why there's a need to make her seem like some kind of pioneering woman when that does not seem to be the case. 

I agree - none of those accomplishments cited were in the least revolutionary. They weren't even unusual. However, we were also told that she was a political macher in Connecticut. It was  that aspect of her life I thought worthy of note.

8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't know, is the Yale Daily News really all that special?  I don't have experience with it, but I can't imagine it's really all that different than the Crimson or Daily Pennsylvanian, at least to the point where it would make me choose one school over the other

I am not aware that Rory was accepted by or even applied to the University of Pennsylvania so I am not sure why its student newspaper is of any significance to the issue at hand. The Yale Daily News  tends to rank quite highly on a number of  lists of the top college newspapers in the United States.  Given her proclivity for lists, that might have appealed to Rory in her decision-making. The YDN also  appears to have produced a greater number of distinguished journalists in recent decades than has the Harvard Crimson.  That factor too might also have influenced Rory.

(edited)

However, we were also told that she was a political macher in Connecticut. It was  that aspect of her life I thought worthy of note.

Is that what you meant?  I didn't see that in the initial comment. I also don't really recall the show suggesting she was prominent in politics.  What are you referencing?  I know they said she met a few Presidents, but that's not really apropos of anything.  Though as I noted, being wealthy often can play a major role in having "influence," well beyond anything in particular the wealthy person has done of note.  

I am not aware that Rory was accepted by or even applied to the University of Pennsylvania so I am not sure why its student newspaper is of any significance to the issue at hand. The Yale Daily News  tends to rank quite highly on a number of  lists of the top college newspapers in the United States.  

I mentioned it because it was an Ivy League school with a prominent student newspaper, making it entirely relevant to the discussion, since it was suggested that Rory was looking at those issues when choosing schools, and I had asked what made the YDN so special, as compared to other Ivies.   

Edited by txhorns79

I've  thought this though it hasn't changed my enjoyment of the show, but, sometimes the premise doesn't even make a lot of sense to me.

Lorelai and Rory are the kind of people who could have made Stars Hollow High School - to - Ivy Leagues work. Rory as portrayed as the town sweetheart kind of person who *was* involved in many town events which could have qualified as extracurriculars *and* she obviously would have been valedictorian with high test scores. Are we to believe that Stars Hollow HS is some sort of terrible backwater when it's clear S.H. is a prosperous bustling town ($$$ tax base) with a lot of tourist traffic ($$$ taxes). Now, I believe that Rory was shown as bored and unchallenged in the beginning of her Sophomore year. But i find it hard to believe that STHS wouldn't have had an honors/AP/IB track or Rory couldn't have taken independent studies for the challenge--much of which would have begun her Soph year and ramped up her Junior year. But it's not just that (I know people are gonna bring up the small percentage of Ivy League application admittance.) Lorelai rejected the prep school wealthy world. While I get that at times she is shown as being the kind of mom who lets Rory have choices (as compared to Emily Gilmore as a mom), she is not a saint. I find it hard to believe she would wholeheartedly support Rory going to an expensive, prestigious prep school.

• Love 4

While I get that at times she is shown as being the kind of mom who lets Rory have choices (as compared to Emily Gilmore as a mom), she is not a saint. I find it hard to believe she would wholeheartedly support Rory going to an expensive, prestigious prep school.

It's not that Stars Hollow was a bad school, but I can say that a school like Chilton would likely have better connections when it came time to applying to an Ivy League school.  For example, an admissions director at Yale might know Chilton, know its guidance counselor and it's reputation, so they may give a student who excels there more of a look than a student who is excelling at a public school they didn't know.       

Would Rory have had as much of an "in" at Yale coming from Stars Hollow High in prep-school rich Connecticut, though? I'm assuming like txhorns79 said that it's more of a connections issue than an academic issue.  If Rory is competing with Paris for a Harvard spot, her upbringing and temperament might help her, but only if admissions officers see that their academic records are truly similar. Lorelai seems to have thought of Chilton as a necessary evil to help Rory achieve her Harvard dream.  Rory would have met as many Logans, Tristans, and Parises at Harvard as she did at Chilton and Yale anyway. 

I thought it was entertaining that, in the Pilot, Rory truly believed that Chilton students wouldn't care about fashion and would only care about studying and learning. I know she's supposed to be a little young for 16 and definitely sheltered, but surely she would have seen Cruel Intentions or something.

• Love 3
(edited)

Would Rory have had as much of an "in" at Yale coming from Stars Hollow High in prep-school rich Connecticut, though? I'm assuming like txhorns79 said that it's more of a connections issue than an academic issue.  If Rory is competing with Paris for a Harvard spot, her upbringing and temperament might help her, but only if admissions officers see that their academic records are truly similar. Lorelai seems to have thought of Chilton as a necessary evil to help Rory achieve her Harvard dream.  Rory would have met as many Logans, Tristans, and Parises at Harvard as she did at Chilton and Yale anyway. 

That was how I looked at the situation.  Lorelai saw Chilton as a means to an end, so even if she wasn't thrilled with the idea, she went ahead because she knew it would help get Rory to the Ivies. 

Edited by txhorns79
(edited)

I think I get what you mean JayinChicago. Tbh, when GG first started airing the basic premise was very off putting to me. Rory wants to go to Harvard and in order to do so, she essentially needs a lot of money spent on her secondary education. No matter how smart she is, no matter how hard she works, what really matters is that there are hundreds of thousands of dollars available to help her get there. I realise that is the reality of getting into a school like Harvard for the majority of people but as a tv show it's a very elitist concept.

A show about middle class Rory working damn hard at SHH to be accepted into Harvard is more relatable. Or Rory the scholarship student at Chilton. But of course then there is no central conflict between Lorelai and her parents and the enforcement of Friday night dinners. So it ultimately made for a fine show in the first few years about 3 generations of a family attempting to heal. But it must have been so disheartening for the average incomed family with an academically ambitious child.

Edited by AllyB
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, JayInChicago said:

I believe that Rory was shown as bored and unchallenged in the beginning of her Sophomore year. But i find it hard to believe that STHS wouldn't have had an honors/AP/IB track or Rory couldn't have taken independent studies for the challenge--much of which would have begun her Soph year and ramped up her Junior year

I thought Rory was the only one who wasn't seen to be bored and unchallenged. She was diligently working away. But I did wonder if there was much to the school's academic program. Even Taylor - the cheerleader for all things Stars Hollow - didn't criticize Rory for going to Chilton. So I have a hard time believing it was a school of any great quality.

Rory totally had the Yale in thru Richard anyway

Would Lorelai or Rory have known that before Chilton though? It was not as Lorelai herself had been slated to attend Yale before Her Great Misadventure. There seemed to be lots of gaps in their knowledge of the Ivy League world. Even if they were generally aware of the "legacy" policies, they might think it only applied to sons and daughters, not grandchildren.

A show about middle class Rory working damn hard at SHH to be accepted into Harvard is more relatable

Very true. But that concept has been done before. Perhaps the only way for ASP to get her show aired was for it to have this particular twist.

• Love 1
(edited)

I also think it was far fetched that Lorelai didn't get flak from locals for pulling her daughter from the public high school in town.

again, i know, this is the premise for the show and i do accept it. it is pretty unrealistic and a fairy tale obviously.  Here's to other bright kids who got lost in the crowd at mediocre public high schools and managed to accomplish something at State schools!  

Edited by JayInChicago
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, JayInChicago said:

I also think it was far fetched that Lorelai didn't get flak from locals for pulling her daughter from the public high school in town

Who beyond  possibly Taylor  would think it was anyone's business but that of Lorelai and Rory?

it is pretty unrealistic and a fairy tale obviously

At least we didn't have any town fundraisers for Rory. Until she was safely at Yale, I was worried :)

• Love 1
(edited)

There seemed to be lots of gaps in their knowledge of the Ivy League world. Even if they were generally aware of the "legacy" policies, they might think it only applied to sons and daughters, not grandchildren.

I realize Lorelai often seemed clueless about the college admissions process, but I can't imagine she was that ignorant as to not understand how being a legacy at a certain school worked.  I figured she never gave much thought to Rory being a legacy because she had no intention of Rory ever attending Yale.  

Who beyond  possibly Taylor  would think it was anyone's business but that of Lorelai and Rory?

This is a town where the residents felt entirely comfortable using a town meeting to discuss the status of Luke and Lorelai's relationship, and the possible ramifications of their breaking up.  They have no boundaries.     

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 7

Rory attending Chilton provided the "fish out of water" element, it made Rory an underdog. And it introduced her to her grandparents' world. But it wasn't specifically about Rory attending Chilton, it was about reuniting the Gilmores. Bringing Lorelai back to her parents and introducing Rory to her grandparents. Rory busting her ass at Stars Hollow High is a completely different show.

I also think it was far fetched that Lorelai didn't get flak from locals for pulling her daughter from the public high school in town.

I don't think that was far-fetched at all. Nobody I know would ever give someone flak for trying to give their kid a better chance, or a better education. 

• Love 1

Taylor held the  town meeting about the relationship of Luke and Lorelai because of the possible impact on the town and the economics of the community when - as was highly likely - the pair broke up. Apparently something similar had happened years earlier and he wished to avoid  comparable fallout. So in a twisted sort of way, the meeting  made sense. Frankly, I was rather surprised that no one raised with Luke his promise to move away should he and Lorelai end their relationship. But I digress...

It is difficult to imagine how a fifteen year old girl switching  from the local high to Chilton would have any impact on Stars Hollow at all. It was unlikely to start a stampede to nearby prep schools. Not everyone was "blessed" with well-to-do grandparents.

(edited)

It is difficult to imagine how a fifteen year old girl switching  from the local high to Chilton would have any impact on Stars Hollow at all.

I've never gotten the sense that the town's resident's needed a justification to engage in their usual gossip and commentary.  As I said, the town's residents felt entirely comfortable using a town meeting to intrude heavily into Luke and Lorelai's personal lives.  I'm sure if they wanted to, they would have intruded in on Lorelai's decisions regarding Rory with a similarly bs justification about it somehow effecting the town.  It seems as though you reconfirmed my point. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2
(edited)

In real life, a student at the head of her Connecticut tourist town public high school class would have no problem in getting into some Ivy League school. May or may not be Harvard, though, so in that context Chilton makes sense.

Edited by clack
  • Love 1

Ok, well, where I'm from, getting pulled from the public school and sent to the private (mostly Catholic, in the context of where I'm from--south suburban Chicago so not many prep schools that aren't Catholic) is definitely a dig at the public school. 

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, JayInChicago said:

Ok, well, where I'm from, getting pulled from the public school and sent to the private (mostly Catholic, in the context of where I'm from--south suburban Chicago so not many prep schools that aren't Catholic) is definitely a dig at the public school

Well sure it is. But is it anybody's business but Lorelai's? She (and her family) are the ones paying for Chilton, no one else. I can't see that any of her friends or neighbours would criticize her for this choice any more than they would question her changing  other service providers.

15 hours ago, dustylil said:

At least we didn't have any town fundraisers for Rory. Until she was safely at Yale, I was worried :)

Should it be any one else's business? No.  But this was a town where a 16 year old breaking up with her boyfriend of 3 months had spread throughout town by 6 a.m. the next day.  A town where you wore ribbons to signify which party you supported when two adults broke up.  I don't think it is strange to think that people would comment on Rory leaving the school she had been attending.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

I don't think it is strange to think that people would comment on Rory leaving the school she had been attending

Commenting, sure. It was criticizing or giving of flak about it, that I questioned.

Commenting, sure. It was criticizing or giving of flak about it, that I questioned.

I guess you were misunderstood again, because, like Deaja, I read your initial comment as wondering why anyone would even be discussing it. 

I really don't want Lorelai and Luke to reunite for many reasons.  I have one really shallow reason; Scott Patterson has not aged well or as gracefully as Lauren Graham. I think they would look even more mismatched than they did years ago.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, JayInChicago said:

again, i know, this is the premise for the show and i do accept it. it is pretty unrealistic and a fairy tale obviously.  Here's to other bright kids who got lost in the crowd at mediocre public high schools and managed to accomplish something at State schools!  

There is that line in the hockey game episode (sorry, I forgot the name) where Lane tells Rory some of the Stars Hollow girls think Rory is a snob because she goes to Chilton. Some of the parents may have thought so as well but not publically said so.

I think Stars Hollow High was a regular, run of the mill school. Not substandard nor as challenging as Chilton. I agree Chilton was a necessary evil to put Rory ahead. I don't think it would have happened if Rory didn't want it too. She would have had to fill out an application and probably be interviewed prior to the events in the pilot.

59 minutes ago, CheeseBurgh said:

I really don't want Lorelai and Luke to reunite for many reasons.  I have one really shallow reason; Scott Patterson has not aged well or as gracefully as Lauren Graham. I think they would look even more mismatched than they did years ago.

I agree, though I expect it's going to be that way. 

• Love 1

One quick note - please make sure that you're not discussing the revival in here outside of "I'm disappointed they're doing the revival" or the like.  Anything that is a revival spoiler should only be posted in the Netflix revival thread that is marked to contain spoilers. 

Thanks!

(edited)
1 hour ago, CheeseBurgh said:

At least he got there without botox. I thought Lauren's pictures for the recent EW shoot looked weird. Her eyes reminded me of Courtney Cox's when she just had treatment. Besides there is a major age difference between Graham and Patterson. I wonder if Lauren had some health issues in the last couple of years. When she did the Self photoshoot back in 2011 where she trained for weeks she looked amazing. She looks nothing like that at all now.

Edited by Smad
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, hippielamb said:

I don't think it would have happened if Rory didn't want it too. She would have had to fill out an application and probably be interviewed prior to the events in the pilot

I agree. I thought Rory was quite keen about attending Chilton (and wearing a private school uniform).Then changed her mind after meeting Dean. I always knew men would be the ruination of that girl :)

42 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

Personally, I don't consider 8 years to be a major age difference.

But David Sutcliff is 11 years younger than Scott. And younger than Lauren. I never though it was fair to compare the two guys looks due to that age difference. And IMO Scott looks fine for a guy approaching 60.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, since we're on topic, I'm not proud to say but I'm fully expecting to be completely weirded out by everyone looking substantially older. I'm sure I'll get used to it by the time I reach the second episode but still... Alexis is the one I'm kinda of dreading the most. I haven't loved any of the pictures we've got of her.  

I think all her boyfriends have aged way better but I'm hopeful I'll change my mind on her when I actually get to watch Rory.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 4

I know it has no real impact in the show but I still want to know what the six languages Stars Hollow High has to recite the Pledge of Allegiance as Jess references in one episode.

French, German, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean and Russian-accented English so everyone sounds like Boris and Natasha!

7 hours ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

Well, since we're on topic, I'm not proud to say but I'm fully expecting to be completely weirded out by everyone looking substantially older. I'm sure I'll get used to it by the time I reach the second episode but still... Alexis is the one I'm kinda of dreading the most. I haven't loved any of the pictures we've got of her.  

I think all her boyfriends have aged way better but I'm hopeful I'll change my mind on her when I actually get to watch Rory.

I think the part that will make this weird for me is that they have aged but nothing else has changed. Everything in Stars Hollow what we have seen from set pictures still is exactly the same. Luke and Lorelai still drive the same damn cars. Basically nothing has changed, look wise, in the land of SH but all the people look older which is just...weird.

• Love 4

Ok, this may be the most unpopular opinion ever. But I watched Bridesmaids revisited last night and I really, really love Gil and Brian's band's version of Hollaback Girl. It's just perfect in the scene, exactly what they would be playing at a West Hartford Bat Mitzvah, and half cheesily embarrassing - half ironic gold. I've been singing it all day, but in their version, not Stefani's which is harsher and doesn't have the same sense of fun and catchyness. I just love it.

I don't like anything Hep Alien did, it was all pretty awful, but Gil and Brian's jobbing band was great. And obviously Sebastian Bach is a much, much better singer than Todd Lowe.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, AllyB said:

Ok, this may be the most unpopular opinion ever. But I watched Bridesmaids revisited last night and I really, really love Gil and Brian's band's version of Hollaback Girl. It's just perfect in the scene, exactly what they would be playing at a West Hartford Bat Mitzvah, and half cheesily embarrassing - half ironic gold. I've been singing it all day, but in their version, not Stefani's which is harsher and doesn't have the same sense of fun and catchyness. I just love it.

I don't like anything Hep Alien did, it was all pretty awful, but Gil and Brian's jobbing band was great. And obviously Sebastian Bach is a much, much better singer than Todd Lowe.

I had no idea I shared your opinion regarding Hollaback until I read this!  I thought it was a fun version too.

I watched True Blood before I watched Gilmore Girls so I never really liked Zach, it was such a huge jump in character for me.

(edited)

I also loved the bat mitzvah Hollback Girl- also partly because it's perfect for the scene and year. I agree that it's a water mark for half of "Hep Alien" missing Zack and Lane. 

I didn't like Zack for his character's personality and then, I watched True Blood and I didn't like Terry either. However seeing both shows did give me SO MUCH respect for Todd Lowe's acting chops. THAT'S range. I don't think I've ever been so impressed with a Gilmore Girls actor after seeing what they can do in another role. Without seeing both, I'd be prejudiced against Todd's acting because you don't really instantly get "great thespian" out of a Zack-type role. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 4

I watched the first two seasons of True Blood at the same time that I was watching the later seasons of GG and it was only half way through season 2 of TB that I realised I knew Terry from some other show but I had to IMDB him to find out. I was absolutely floored that he was Zack. Neither role was the type to let him fully display his acting skills but to be so truly each character to the point that I found him unrecognisable despite watching both shows at the same time shows he has amazing talent. I'd love to see Lowe in a role that lets him really show what he can do.

• Love 4
(edited)

https://www.romper.com/p/17-ways-luke-on-gilmore-girls-is-actually-the-worst-but-should-totally-still-be-with-lorelai-7110

I wouldn't mind that they look so mismatched if they didn't act so mismatched. Like people here have said, it's hard to imagine two people less compatible. We already saw what they were like in a relationship, and it was so awkward that it almost gave me secondhand embarrassment to watch. As friends they were fine, but romantically they are the poster child for why people who are opposites may attract at first but usually don't make each other happy. Luke and Lorelai don't bring out each other's good traits, exacerbate each other's many bad traits, don't appear to click emotionally, intellectually or physically, can't communicate at all, seem to have to make major efforts just to tolerate each other and more often annoy the hell out of each other, keep major secrets from each other, and look and act miserable through almost  their entire train wreck of a relationship. But other than those minor problems they were a perfect pair lol. 

The article I tried to link above concludes with the popular sentiment that they should be together, which I don't agree with, but it does express the very unpopular opinion that Luke is a lot more problematic than most fans make him out to be. It makes the same points that a lot of the people here have, so I thought the few who dislike Luke might find it comforting to know we're not alone. I especially like how it points out that Luke's big chuppah and ice rink gestures to show he cares are the kind of things that you get a handful of times a year and don't make up for how awful his company would be if you had to be with him daily. The article also has a line about how Max was the best, which is also an unpopular opinion that a few others here have mentioned.

Edited by NorthangerAbby
  • Love 4
(edited)

I didn't like Zack for his character's personality and then, I watched True Blood and I didn't like Terry either. However seeing both shows did give me SO MUCH respect for Todd Lowe's acting chops. THAT'S range. I don't think I've ever been so impressed with a Gilmore Girls actor after seeing what they can do in another role. 

OH MY GOD I watched both shows and I never even realised that was the same actor!! Wow, he is seriously talented. Revelation of the day.

Edited by KatWay
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, NorthangerAbby said:

Interesting. But wow is that article reaching just to get to 17. For over half of these I could make counter arguments (backed up by the show) and for others how Lorelai did the same and worse/first (backed up by the show again) which I guess would mean they are simliar people lol.. But nah. Let people enjoy their hate.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, NorthangerAbby said:

Interesting article. I agree with most of the points though I don't fault Luke for trying to have relationships with Rachel and Nicole. It pains me to defend Luke about anything but I think it's healthy to date other people instead of pining for someone. I know most of the shippers probably hated the Nicole storyline. I liked seeing Luke realize that someone else other than Lorelai could want him and try to have a relationship with her. I didn't like her much but I think being with Nicole allowed Luke to see his own worth as far as dating. Rachel I liked a great deal and thought she complimented Luke's personality. It's too bad she was not made to be part of the show full time. 

• Love 2

Gilmore Girls, as a story, would have been best served in the Netflix format of 4 90 minute episodes, instead of the 7 season, 140 45 minute episodes we got. The 4 episodes would have encompassed Rory's Chilton years, from sophomore year to graduation to finally heading off to Yale or -- why not?-- Harvard.

The tone of season 1 -- light, warm, cosy -- could have been sustained. The relationship arcs might have had a clean, clear structure, instead of the muddied, stretched out, repetitive dynamics we ultimately received.

Can Lorelai and Luke make the move from friendship to romance? Lorelai first has to get over Christopher, maybe resolve a brief flirtation with Max, and then, episode 4, she and Luke become a couple. No Jason, no April, no Paris wedding to Christopher.

Rory could still have her Dean/Jess drama, but would finally head off to college single, sadder but wiser in the ways of young love. No Dean marriage, and thus no affair with married Dean.

Lorelai's relationship with her parents could have had a clean narrative line -- first at odds, finally coming to a grudging acceptance, instead of the repetitive, 2 steps forward 2 steps back that we ultimately got.

That, in my perhaps unpopular opinion, would have been the ideal dramatic form of the Gilmore Girls story in an ideal world.

• Love 4