Type keyword(s) to search

One is the Loneliest Number: Unpopular GG Opinions

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, JayInChicago said:

I saw "Paris wedding to Christopher" while skimming and nearly plotzed! ;)

Well, she always did have a thing for older men. So it shouldn't have been too surprising ;)

• Love 1
On 15 May 2016 at 4:21 PM, hippielamb said:

Interesting article. I agree with most of the points though I don't fault Luke for trying to have relationships with Rachel and Nicole. It pains me to defend Luke about anything but I think it's healthy to date other people instead of pining for someone. I know most of the shippers probably hated the Nicole storyline. I liked seeing Luke realize that someone else other than Lorelai could want him and try to have a relationship with her. I didn't like her much but I think being with Nicole allowed Luke to see his own worth as far as dating. Rachel I liked a great deal and thought she complimented Luke's personality. It's too bad she was not made to be part of the show full time. 

After really paying attention to the LL relationship post-TMT, I concluded that Luke moved back to friendship mode with Lorelai, making a steady girlfriend a good plot idea. 

Maybe UO, but even his cruise wedding is consistent with Gilmore Girls crazy plot points. What was logically and Luke's character indefensible is not getting immediately divorced.

8 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Maybe UO, but even his cruise wedding is consistent with Gilmore Girls crazy plot points. What was logically and Luke's character indefensible is not getting immediately divorced.

I used to think that until I noticed how unhappy Luke was portrayed in the episodes between the marriage and Nicole's suggestion to drop the divorce.  I think he was feeling like a failure, and unhappy and lonely and it must have seemed like the perfect solution.  What I would have liked to see was some justification for their decision to move in together, which did seem very out of character.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, shron17 said:

I used to think that until I noticed how unhappy Luke was portrayed in the episodes between the marriage and Nicole's suggestion to drop the divorce.  I think he was feeling like a failure, and unhappy and lonely and it must have seemed like the perfect solution.  What I would have liked to see was some justification for their decision to move in together, which did seem very out of character.

For me that's a general flaw in ASP's storytelling. No one is given a POV except those with the name Gilmore, especially post-S3. So when she tries to give non-Gilmores a storyline it happens in leaps and bounds that we just can't track and for which we don't get explanations. In S3 Luke/Nicole was given more time (she showed up in episodes quite a bit) so we knew what was going on. In S4 we know they got married drunkenly, then all we get is lawyers, suddenly Nicole comes by not wanting to divorce, then they are supposedly dating again, then nothing until they 'move in together' and suddenly they are fighting all the time and then comes the sockman. I just can't track any of it like I was able to in S3.

At least I can follow Lane's story in S4 what with it being better planned and all.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, junienmomo said:

After really paying attention to the LL relationship post-TMT, I concluded that Luke moved back to friendship mode with Lorelai, making a steady girlfriend a good plot idea. 

The funny part about the cruise ship proposal was Lorelai was the one who put the idea in his head. If she hadn't said anything, it might not have turned out that way. She basically told him to be happy with Nicole when they were at Rory's graduation. The dating while getting divorced thing is dumb. It makes no sense. I think the writers painted themselves into a corner with that storyline.

• Love 2

The funny part about the cruise ship proposal was Lorelai was the one who put the idea in his head. If she hadn't said anything, it might not have turned out that way. She basically told him to be happy with Nicole when they were at Rory's graduation. The dating while getting divorced thing is dumb. It makes no sense. I think the writers painted themselves into a corner with that storyline.

I felt like they had no idea what to do with that storyline.  They wanted some dramatic reason for Luke and Lorelai to be apart, but didn't really think through as to how the story could work. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I felt like they had no idea what to do with that storyline.  They wanted some dramatic reason for Luke and Lorelai to be apart, but didn't really think through as to how the story could work. 

Honestly, I didn't mind Rachel or Nicole. The only problem with all of Luke's relationships is that everything is seemingly well, until it all goes to s**t. In one episode they can go from happy to hating each other. It's fine if the relationships don't work out, that's life, but they could plan it, and have the problem rise episode after episode, with things having some sort of flow rather than hitting us on the head.

• Love 1

The writers showed one of the main issues in both relationships was Luke's feeling towards Lorelai. Luke told Lorelai that it bothered Nicole in the Poe episode. Rachel seen it was there and left. Nicole seemed to have more the attitude that even though Lorelai and Luke's relationship bothered her, she was better than Lorelai so continued the relationship with Luke.The relationship between Rachel/Lorelai and Nicole/Lorelai were very different 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, DMM51759 said:

The writers showed one of the main issues in both relationships was Luke's feeling towards Lorelai. Luke told Lorelai that it bothered Nicole in the Poe episode. Rachel seen it was there and left. Nicole seemed to have more the attitude that even though Lorelai and Luke's relationship bothered her, she was better than Lorelai so continued the relationship with Luke.The relationship between Rachel/Lorelai and Nicole/Lorelai were very different 

I agree. Nicole was jealous of Lorelai while Rachel understood it was her own fault for waiting too long and I genuinely think her and Lorelai could have been good friends. :)

• Love 2
(edited)

Even though Nicole was jealous of Lorelai's relationship with Luke she clearly thought she was better than Lorelai and had that snarky attitude that she was educated, lawyer and Thinking she didn't lose to a person like Lorelai who she considered beneath her.

Edited by DMM51759
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, DMM51759 said:

Even though Nicole was jealous of Lorelai's relationship with Luke she clearly thought she was better than Lorelai and had that snarky attitude that she was educated, lawyer and Thinking she didn't lose to a person like Lorelai who she considered beneath her. 

Yeah I got that as well! It was obvious that Nicole thought she was better than Lorelai and deserved Luke more than her. Whereas Rachel could see Luke and Lorelai's connection almost immediately. She got Lorelai's wit and even played along with her, especially in teasing Luke. I think Rachel genuinely loved Luke but she could see Luke's heart belonged to Lorelai and she respected that. :)

Edited by elang4
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, DMM51759 said:

she clearly thought she was better than Lorelai and had that snarky attitude that she was educated, lawyer and Thinking she didn't lose to a person like Lorelai who she consiIdered beneath her.

I  wondered what Nicole  thought of Luke then  - less educated as he was to Lorelai and of comparable financial standing in the community. Perhaps her bit of rough :)

• Love 1
(edited)

Nicole was just so poorly written that her motivations for anything and everything are one big mystery IMO. She didn't seem to like Lorelai much, agree (though who can ever really know with such a badly developed character), but apart from perhaps perceiving her as a threat for Luke's affections... I can see how someone like Nicole, or at least the little we saw of her, wouldn't warm up to someone like Lorelai but would like someone like Luke. She seemed somewhat reserved and no-nonsense, which might mesh well with Luke's quieter demeanor but not so much with Lorelai's rather loud extroversion and quirks. I didn't think she was depicted as snobby.

Edited by katha
  • Love 2

She seemed somewhat reserved and no-nonsense, which might mesh well with Luke's quieter demeanor but not so much with Lorelai's rather loud extroversion and quirks. I didn't think she was depicted as snobby.

I agree.  I didn't get the sense she saw herself as better than Lorelai, just that she seemed threatened by Luke and Lorelai's relationship.  As a character, I also agree that she wasn't all that well developed.  She might as well have just worn a sign that said "Roadblock to Luke and Lorelai being a couple."  It would have achieved the same effect. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't remember Nicole ever having an exchange or a time with Lorelai where she would have seen Lorelai's personality. Seemed like every encounter they had Nicole wanted nothing to do with her. I think that when Luke talked about Lorelai on his first date is when Nicole decided she didn't like Lorelai, so she didn't even bother to get to know Lorelai in person. I think Lorelai was even confused at Nicole's attitude towards her. She didn't find out until later from Luke about the first date thing and Nicole being bothered by her.

Edited by DMM51759
  • Love 3
(edited)

I questioned more the idea of why Luke would choose to date Nicole. Since she was so different then the two women he had deep feeling for at different times in his life, Lorelai and Rachel

Edited by DMM51759
  • Love 3

I questioned more the idea of why Luke would choose to date Nicole. Since she was so different then the two women he had deep feeling for at different times in his life, Lorelai and Rachel

I always thought of them as a mystery pairing as well.  They had absolutely nothing in common.

• Love 2
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I always thought of them as a mystery pairing as well.  They had absolutely nothing in common.

That's an easy one. Jess goaded him into it, including reminding him that Nicole was clearly flirting with him. That, combined with the fact that he and Lorelai had moved clearly into the friendship category again, made it easy for him to invite Nicole out in his stumbling, Lukeish way.

How they got to marriage and not divorce, that's the real mystery to me. 

Edited by junienmomo
  • Love 2

I've been binge-rewatching season 6 and it got me wishing that ASP had really ran with Rory/Jess reconnecting and they had eventually gotten back together. After their first breakup, through the remaining of s6 it felt like Rory and Logan never quite managed to find steady ground again. I remember them being better in S7 but their old issues would still creep up sometimes. 

I think it is really weird that all of the women charmed (dated) by Luke were educated, cultured and to varying degrees beautiful and successful.  He wasn't very sophisticated, well read or even charming. He didn't even like to travel!  As someone said before he really had nothing in common with Rachel, Lorelei, Anna or Nicole. Rachel traveled for a living for gods sake!

A couple scenes stick out to me that point out his lack of sophistication. I cringed when I saw what he wore to the country club to go golfing. He couldn't be that socially unaware. Most clubs would have refused to let him golf in jeans and a flannel shirt. Rory at age 16 had enough common sense to ask if she was dressed properly when she went. 

The second scene was on Wedding Bell Blues, when Marion Ross (cousin) asked him if he was a gardner, I don't recall exactly what he said, but his grammar was embarrassing.

• Love 7

I don't know about him not being well read.  He knew a few things that were a little startling for a diner owner.  The one that always comes to mind is when Emily asked him what he thought about the Romanovs and he shot back that they probably had it coming.  Ask any random man of your acquaintance about the Romanovs and I guarantee they will not have clue what you are talking about.

• Love 2

The one that always comes to mind is when Emily asked him what he thought about the Romanovs and he shot back that they probably had it coming.  Ask any random man of your acquaintance about the Romanovs and I guarantee they will not have clue what you are talking about.

Really?  I learned about them in junior high and high school. 

• Love 3

He also knew about chemicals being used on the grass of golf courses. He also quoted Tolstoi, badly but he did. He also knew how to run a business and finances. But like with most men on this show, what Luke knew/read/'studied'/watched is totally dependant on the plot in each episode.

• Love 1

Really?  I learned about them in junior high and high school. 

As did I.  But I recently had a thirtysomething ask me at a fundraiser for Honor Flight who we fought in WWII and whether it was before or after Vietnam.  Eddycayshun ain't what it used to be....

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CheeseBurgh said:

I cringed when I saw what he wore to the country club to go golfing. He couldn't be that socially unaware. Most clubs would have refused to let him golf in jeans and a flannel shirt. Rory at age 16 had enough common sense to ask if shewas dressed properly when she went. 

Rory at that point in time was quite concerned about doing the right thing and fitting in - understandably so. She  had Lorelai to inform her on how to dress for the golfing outing and likely  had the Chilton phys. ed. staff to guide her as to appropriate attire as well. Of course, there was nothing to stop Luke from calling up some golfing townie and becoming informed.

Personally, I wondered if Luke's choice of clothes at the country club and those he wore at his first dinner at the senior Gilmores were a less than subtle "screw you" to his hosts. Had I been Lorelai I would have been immensely tee-ed off about his attire at that first FND.

As to the breadth and depth of Luke's knowledge, even well into  his dumbing  down (the first episode of the sixth season), he did make a witty quip about Dylan Thomas. 

(edited)
29 minutes ago, dustylil said:

Personally, I wondered if Luke's choice of clothes at the country club and those he wore at his first dinner at the senior Gilmores were a less than subtle "screw you" to his hosts. Had I been Lorelai I would have been immensely tee-ed off about his attire at that first FND.

As to the breadth and depth of Luke's knowledge, even well into  his dumbing  down (the first episode of the sixth season), he did make a witty quip about Dylan Thomas. 

I have wondered if it was Lorelai who encouraged Luke not to dress up for that first dinner for the purpose of tee-ing off her mother.  I wouldn't put it past her, and she was the one that tried to convince him not to go. She already knew Emily wouldn't be nice no matter what he wore.  Luke did dress appropriately in later seasons when Emily and Richard were both present.

As for knowledge, the way Amy sprinkles little references everywhere makes it  hard to tell the presumed intelligence of any character.  I just started re-watching season 7 and am noticing the difference.  I think of Luke as being more intelligent than well-read, like he picks up and retains bits of knowledge from TV or reading articles here and there.

Edited by shron17
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, shron17 said:

I have wondered if it was Lorelai who encouraged Luke not to dress up for that first dinner for the purpose of tee-ing off her mother.  I wouldn't put it past her, and she was the one that tried to convince him not to go.

Possibly. But  I can't see Lorelai deliberately making him more of a target for Emily's caustic remarks than he already would have been. Nor can I see Luke going along with such a juvenile stunt of Lorelai's. I found  it interesting that he was better if more informally dressed  when he met Nicole's parents. Curiously, both teenage boys who came to dinner at the senior Gilmores were both more appropriately attired.

Luke's real intellectual low point was Vineyard Valentine. He knew full well that Logan was rich, and that neither Lorelai nor Rory would ever "rough it," yet he packed ridiculously insufficient clothes, freeze-dried spaghetti and a Bowie knife. He demonstrated more sophistication at the Renaissance fair, even being right next to the apple doll booth.

Worst episode ever. 

• Love 9

Personally, I wondered if Luke's choice of clothes at the country club and those he wore at his first dinner at the senior Gilmores were a less than subtle "screw you" to his hosts.

I can't imagine Luke purposefully doing something like that.  What purpose would it serve, particularly if no one knew he was doing it? 

• Love 2
(edited)
26 minutes ago, dustylil said:

Possibly. But  I can't see Lorelai deliberately making him more of a target for Emily's caustic remarks than he already would have been. Nor can I see Luke going along with such a juvenile stunt of Lorelai's. I found  it interesting that he was better if more informally dressed  when he met Nicole's parents. Curiously, both teenage boys who came to dinner at the senior Gilmores were both more appropriately attired.

Then why would Lorelai suddenly be hesitant to tell him to change?  She certainly wasn't before they started dating and went to talk at the high school.  Also, if either one did it on purpose to tick off Emily, to me it seems much more in character for Lorelai than Luke.

Edited by shron17
  • Love 1
(edited)

The reasons I concluded that Luke was not well read comes from many examples that happened throughout the show.

He told the Principal he was a poor student in High School and wasn't qualified to help Jess.

He had never seen a movie apparently. That was weird.

He told Richard he liked to read for a hobby, however could not think of a book title.

Not knowing how to dress appropriately when invited to nice places. 

April's homework was over his head.

I do not recall him being funny or witty.

Lorelei stated he hated to travel, that points to lack of curiosity to me.

If he dressed inappropriately on purpose then he wasn't just being naive, he was being a dick!

Edited by CheeseBurgh
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, shron17 said:

Then why would Lorelai suddenly be hesitant to tell him to change?  She certainly wasn't before they started dating

I think that is the significant point. She was quite reluctant to call him on a number of things once they were romantically involved. Maybe she thought his feelings would be hurt if she commented about his clothes.

I like to think his good suit was at the dry cleaners. They same cleaners that resulted in Lorelai dressing like Elly Mae Clampett on Rory's first day at Chilton :)

My UO is that I liked Zach more than I liked Dave.  Dave was fine but I just feel like he's a character we see over and over and over on television.  Zach was at least a little more unique.  I don't recall seeing a guy like him get the girl that often.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Sweet Tee said:

My UO is that I liked Zach more than I liked Dave.  Dave was fine but I just feel like he's a character we see over and over and over on television.  Zach was at least a little more unique.  I don't recall seeing a guy like him get the girl that often.

I agree. I liked Zach, especially when they got him with Lane. :) I liked how they started to mellow his character in season 4 near the end. I especially liked the episode where Lane moved in with him and Brian and they left her a shelf for her CDs. I actually awwed when she hugged them. :)

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, elang4 said:

I agree. I liked Zach, especially when they got him with Lane. :) I liked how they started to mellow his character in season 4 near the end. I especially liked the episode where Lane moved in with him and Brian and they left her a shelf for her CDs. I actually awwed when she hugged them. :)

Zach really showed a lot of growth, especially from the point where Lane told him she liked him.  Loved his scenes with Mrs. Kim, especially asking her permission to propose to Lane and then her helping him write a hit song.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, shron17 said:

Zach really showed a lot of growth, especially from the point where Lane told him she liked him.  Loved his scenes with Mrs. Kim, especially asking her permission to propose to Lane and then her helping him write a hit song.

Oh yeah loved that! And loved seeing his and Mrs Kim's relationship grow as well. I think Mrs Kim really grew to like and respect him which was nice, which then led to Lane reconnecting with her as well. :)

• Love 5

Oh yeah loved that! And loved seeing his and Mrs Kim's relationship grow as well. I think Mrs Kim really grew to like and respect him which was nice, which then led to Lane reconnecting with her as well. :)

That was something I really enjoyed.  Mrs. Kim showed real growth, and was able to have an adult relationship with her daughter, that worked for both of them. 

• Love 4

One of the  few scenes I liked from Season 7 involved Zach. He misunderstood the sonogram revealing Lane was having twins and thought the babies were conjoined. Rather than react with even momentary shock, he promptly went into Dad mode, trying to  figure out the best way to care for them and how to protect them from prejudice. Way to go, Zach!

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, dustylil said:

One of the  few scenes I liked from Season 7 involved Zach. He misunderstood the sonogram revealing Lane was having twins and thought the babies were conjoined. Rather than react with even momentary shock, he promptly went into Dad mode, trying to  figure out the best way to care for them and how to protect them from prejudice. Way to go, Zach!

Haha yeah that was so sweet!! :) Also him freaking out at the diner as well and Luke reassuring him was one of my favourite scenes. I liked how they asked Luke to be godfather. I enjoyed watching those three together. :)

• Love 5

I'm part way through season 7 now and after a really rough start, I'm actually enjoying it. Lorelai and Chris are actually a really good couple at the moment. I especially like them together in The Great Stink. The way they are having an argument about Gigi's trip to Paris and first Lorelai is upset when Chris reacts badly to her opinion as she loved that Chris, unlike Luke, was open to her parenting advice. Then she realises why he is upset and makes the effort to take him aside and maturely explain. Chris is still mad but within a few minutes of thinking it over he maturely talks to her, tells her she is right and makes knew plans that she helped him form. Even outside of their great natural chemistry their relationship works so well and is wonderful compared to season 5 and 6 with Luke. It seems insane that in just a few more episodes it all ends badly.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, CheeseBurgh said:

The reasons I concluded that Luke was not well read comes from many examples that happened throughout the show.

He told the Principal he was a poor student in High School and wasn't qualified to help Jess.

He had never seen a movie apparently. That was weird.

He told Richard he liked to read for a hobby, however could not think of a book title.

Not knowing how to dress appropriately when invited to nice places. 

April's homework was over his head.

I do not recall him being funny or witty.

Lorelei stated he hated to travel, that points to lack of curiosity to me.

If he dressed inappropriately on purpose then he wasn't just being naive, he was being a dick!

1) He wasn't a good student because he had to help his sick father in the store and probably left school by the wayside.

2) He has never seen a movie because the plot needed it to in that episode. Except we had a scene in S3 about Luke yelling 'finally' at the end of Love Story and later in S4 during Kirk's first date with Lulu Luke also got Kirk's reference.

3) Being grilled by your girlfriend's father (after the already horrible mother) might lead to a brainfart when asked that question.

4) Luke knows how to dress appropriately except when ASP wanted to suddenly show class difference that way. There was no way Luke would dress like he did during dinner with Emily or the golf club if he was allowed to be in character instead of incredibly dumbed down for the plot.

5) Well April probably took a lot of advanced classes I'm guessing. Besides I don't remember half of the stuff I learned in High School and I'm younger than Luke was then.

6) Not being witty or funny is your POV. I got a lot of laughs out of Luke.

7) What does not wanting to travel have to do with lack of curiosity? A lot of people aren't interested in that. Besides when was he supposed to have the time? Between helping his sick father and then getting his business up and running (and maintaining it) he had way too much responsibilities to be able to travel.

8) He dressed inappropriately because it was needed for plot, not for nefarious reasons.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, AllyB said:

I'm part way through season 7 now and after a really rough start, I'm actually enjoying it. Lorelai and Chris are actually a really good couple at the moment. I especially like them together in The Great Stink. The way they are having an argument about Gigi's trip to Paris and first Lorelai is upset when Chris reacts badly to her opinion as she loved that Chris, unlike Luke, was open to her parenting advice. Then she realises why he is upset and makes the effort to take him aside and maturely explain. Chris is still mad but within a few minutes of thinking it over he maturely talks to her, tells her she is right and makes knew plans that she helped him form. Even outside of their great natural chemistry their relationship works so well and is wonderful compared to season 5 and 6 with Luke. It seems insane that in just a few more episodes it all ends badly.

This is my UO but it seemed insane to me that a Lorelai/Christopher romance had to be revisited. There was no need for romantic closure because it had already happened at the end of S2. There was nothing since then that showed me they were still interested. And I'm not counting Emily activating the Chris robot in S5 because previous episodes showed no interest on Christopher's part.

• Love 4

Glad to see Zach getting some love on this thread.  I really enjoyed him in later seasons.  In fact, while watching Bon Voyage I officially started crying when Zach and Jackson ran out with umbrellas to get the girls from the jeep.  It was a small moment, but I think it suddenly hit me how much I was going to miss the secondary characters....especially the ones like Zach that really grew on me.  I already knew how much I was going to miss the main characters, but the other took me by surprise.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Sweet Tee said:

My people!  I'm beginning to have an irrational hatred of Dave, probably because so many people adore him and I don't understand why.

4 hours ago, Smad said:

5) Well April probably took a lot of advanced classes I'm guessing. Besides I don't remember half of the stuff I learned in High School and I'm younger than Luke was then.

Plus April was very science-minded.  If it's not a subject I was particularly good at I'm clueless trying to help my kids with their schoolwork too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cantbeflapped said:

Glad to see Zach getting some love on this thread.  I really enjoyed him in later seasons.  In fact, while watching Bon Voyage I officially started crying when Zach and Jackson ran out with umbrellas to get the girls from the jeep.  It was a small moment, but I think it suddenly hit me how much I was going to miss the secondary characters....especially the ones like Zach that really grew on me.  I already knew how much I was going to miss the main characters, but the other took me by surprise.  

I loved that too! I love how it was the husbands of Rory and Lorelai's best friends who did it. Nice touch. :)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, AllyB said:

This episode convinced me that Lorelai and Chris would never work as a parenting couple.  I can't see Lorelai ever leaving a 4-year-old for several months so far away from home.  Chris parents in terms of what works best for him, not what's best for the child.  Also, I think long-term Lorelai would prefer a partner who can share parenting responsibility with her rather than expecting her to make the decisions.

4 hours ago, Smad said:

This is my UO but it seemed insane to me that a Lorelai/Christopher romance had to be revisited. There was no need for romantic closure because it had already happened at the end of S2. There was nothing since then that showed me they were still interested. And I'm not counting Emily activating the Chris robot in S5 because previous episodes showed no interest on Christopher's part.

I agree Lorelai didn't need to revisit a romance with Christopher but she did need to convey to him that despite their past and Rory  their romance was never going to happen.  Since she seemed determined to hold onto him as a  "possibility"  maybe dating him again was necessary.  But I'm sure she could have figured out it wasn't going to work before she married him.  

My UO is that I think Luke had a right to figure out how to be a parent to April on his own terms rather than relying on Lorelai's opinions, including when and how to fit April into their lives.  He was of course wrong to keep secrets and wrong in the way he went about it.  Although Lorelai also could have handled the situation much better.  E.g. if as in the example above with Chris, Lorelai tried to figure out what was going on with Luke by talking to him about it and then acted maturely, it all probably would have gone much better.  Another UO is that I really hate Lorelai going to talk to Anna without discussing it with Luke.  Wouldn't a more mature response have been to tell Luke she was involved now and he needed to introduce her to Anna properly so they could all discuss the situation, and then go from there?  It was his daughter and his right to make decisions on things concerning her and her mother, or at least to know if Lorelai was planning to contact either of them directly.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, shron17 said:

My UO is that I think Luke had a right to figure out how to be a parent to April on his own terms rather than relying on Lorelai's opinions, including when and how to fit April into their lives. He was of course wrong to keep secrets and wrong in the way he went about it.  Although Lorelai also could have handled the situation much better.  E.g. if as in the example above with Chris, Lorelai tried to figure out what was going on with Luke by talking to him about it and then acted maturely, it all probably would have gone much better.  Another UO is that I really hate Lorelai going to talk to Anna without discussing it with Luke.  Wouldn't a more mature response have been to tell Luke she was involved now and he needed to introduce her to Anna properly so they could all discuss the situation, and then go from there?  It was his daughter and his right to make decisions on things concerning her and her mother, or at least to know if Lorelai was planning to contact either of them directly.

In my UO he had way more right than Lorelai when it came to deciding what to do and how to fit April in. I mean in early S6 Lorelai flat out told him he was not to get involved in hers and Rory's estrangement. Not to mention putting a potential wedding on hold indefinitely until things were right with Rory, depsite not doing anything herself to rectify the situation. Luke's estrangement from April was not of his own making and IMO a relationship with her should have been his #1 priority. Funny how according to Lorelai April had to be fit into their lives and that they should have tackled this as a couple.  Why does that not also go for her in regards to Rory? Also Luke has the added difficulty of how/if April is even willing to fit him into her life, not made any easier by Anna's lunacy. Also does Lorelai not think that Luke might want April at their wedding (like she wanted Rory) and for that to even occur he needed a stable relationship with the girl?

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Smad said:

In my UO he had way more right than Lorelai when it came to deciding what to do and how to fit April in. I mean in early S6 Lorelai flat out told him he was not to get involved in hers and Rory's estrangement. Not to mention putting a potential wedding on hold indefinitely until things were right with Rory, depsite not doing anything herself to rectify the situation. Luke's estrangement from April was not of his own making and IMO a relationship with her should have been his #1 priority. Funny how according to Lorelai April had to be fit into their lives and that they should have tackled this as a couple.  Why does that not also go for her in regards to Rory? Also Luke has the added difficulty of how/if April is even willing to fit him into her life, not made any easier by Anna's lunacy. Also does Lorelai not think that Luke might want April at their wedding (like she wanted Rory) and for that to even occur he needed a stable relationship with the girl?

Something that really made me hate these two storylines more than I have expressed over the years when Luke told Lorelai that she didn't want him involved in it, but he was. Yet, he couldn't do the same with Lorelai. The roles were switched, but yet they both didn't do anything about the estrangements or dealing with the situations in either a logical or mature way. It didn't help matters that Emily and Richard acted like Rory just was on a burn out and that the entire smack down by all but Honour and Logan in the Huntzbergers' Clan was all in Lorelai's head and never happened. Or how Luke let Anna dictate everything when really, it stank of a woman who make things better for herself and not her child. I really did say for a while I wish April would have told Anna: "He's a great guy, and he's trying to be a good dad." "Why did you think he wouldn't be all these years?" And then see Anna try her whole: "Well we were on a date and he said he didn't like kids since these other kids were fighting with each other." I would have loved to see April's face on that. Yet, Luke has no problem introducing Jess to April with his: "This is Jess your... cousin." Followed by Jess a bit taken, but then shaking her hand. He acted like Lorelai would kill April in her sleep and then Lorelai thought that Rory would just come to her senses on her own and they would magically be healed. When it took Jess telling Rory that she had lost her mind and why she let people make her feel like that. 

Just showing more of how AS-P warped sense was to cure family rifts or issues that really could have been handled just by TALKING with the person.

• Love 1