Type keyword(s) to search

[Book] Life Is Short (No Pun Intended): Love, Laughter, and Learning to Enjoy Every Moment

• Start Topic

From the beloved stars of TLC’s The Little Couple comes an uplifting and moving behind-the-scenes account of how the pair met, fell in love, and overcame huge obstacles to become successful professionals and parents.

Jennifer Arnold and Bill Klein have inspired millions as stars of TLC’s hit show The Little Couple. Though they both have dwarfism, they have knocked down every obstacle they have encountered together with a positive, can-do attitude. The show has featured the lives of Jennifer (a respected neonatologist) and Bill (a successful entrepreneur) from their marriage in 2009, to the launch of their pet shop, to the adoption of their children, to Jen’s overcoming cancer.

Now, for the first time Jen and Bill are letting readers into their private lives with behind-the-scenes, never-before-told stories about how they fell in love, what inspires them, and the passions that drive their success.

Jen and Bill have a simple purpose in life: make the world a better place through encouragement and education. A must-have for fans of the show or anyone who has ever faced a difficult challenge, Life Is Short (No Pun Intended) gives readers a glance at what inspires these positive people to approach life with such optimism and share their lives with the public every day.

The above synopsis from Amazon

Please feel free to discuss the book here ... however, be aware ... those that choose to be in this thread are going to be treated as if they have read the entire book, so if you don't want to be spoiled, please stop reading now.  

• Love 1

I'm about halfway thru.

This is actually a pretty well done book with lots of new info (unless I am *really* forgetting the early seasons). Interesting tidbits so far:

1. Jen does know how to swim and has been snorkeling, she just isn't buoyant.

2. Dr. Steven Kopits treated both Bill and Jen as children and they consider him like a god. Also, at at least one point, he didn't charge for some serious medical care.

3. It's actually quite interesting how both Bill and Jen have really cogent understanding of why they were getting surgeries and what their medical conditions are. Granted, I'm being a little bitchy in making this comparison but it's nice to hear a narrative that isn't Matt Roloff's "I have no idea to this day what was done to me and I was TORTURED FOR NO REASON BECUASE I AM A LITTLE PERSON AND I AM SO OVER IT AS I TELL YOU HOW EVERY DAY I STRUGGLED TO SMILE! SEE ME? SEE ME SMILING DESPITE THE HORRIFIC PAIN I SUFFERED AT THE HANDS OF THOSE MONSTER DOCTORS???" story of horror or Amy Roloff's vague "It's called achondroplasia I think" descriptions.

4. Bill's mom had a nervous breakdown a few months after he was born.

5. Jen's parents don't seem to have been that affluent when she was little

6. Jen may also get the decorating obsession from her mom

7. I didn't realize that both sets of parents were divorced.

8. Jen doesn't seem to have a good relationship with her younger brother.

9. Bill got turned down for multiple jobs in sales because of his appearance.

10. There's numerous moments in their childhood and teen years where they should have met or been introduced but were not.

11. Jen was dared by a friend to message a guy, any guy, on the little people match site and gave Bill a terrible line that he finds hilarious - "Didn't we meet at the LPA con?"

12. LPA cons be cray cray.

13. Neither Jen or Bill are that into the LPA scene.

Update later when I finish

• Love 7

Loved the book. They each have overcome a lot. I can't imagine how Jen got through school with all the surgeries. Judy had a brain tumor. Jen's family had a lot of drama. Bill and Jen must be thrilled to be where they are now.

• Love 5

xldb2004 - I have to agree. There's a ton of new info - I never knew about the brain tumor either and the only warning I'd give so far is that the surgery and cast stuff is pretty unpleasant to read. I'm actually shocked they wrote such a revealing book.

• Love 2

I am more convinced they are the perfect parents for Will and Zoey (the name Judy wanted to give Jen. Lot of controlling women in that family. To the extent Jen is controlling she came by it naturally). They will be able to get the kids through any medical issues they may have.

• Love 6

It really is incredible the hardships they've been through. And to come out of them so positive. I couldn't do it. They both had wonderfully supportive family and friends which was a blessing. But God it was like reading the book of Job! I hope the worst is truly behind them.

• Love 1

Interesting how both Jen and Bills parents divorced. The strain of having a child with special needs must be hard on a marriage. Glad that Judy and Dave remarried. Kudos to them for raising amazing, normal children. They didn't allow Bill and Jen to wallow in self pity, though it would have been justified. Hope Jen and her brother resolve their issues.

• Love 4
(edited)

Sorry for the short notice... I just saw Bill's Tweet.

https://twitter.com/reallybillklein/status/604306961706819585

If you're in, or close enough to, Houston & you can make it, Bill & Jen are doing a book signing/Q&A TONIGHT (May 29th) at 7PM Houston Time, at Barnes & Noble Town & Country. The store is at 12850 Memorial Drive in Houston; phone (713) 465-5616.

PS: Jen Tweets that they will be in LOS ANGELES ON SUNDAY, AT BOOK SOUP. I don't know what time. She was responding to a Tweet wishing they were signing in LA tonight instead of Houston.

https://twitter.com/jenarnoldmd/status/604328136042356736

Edited by BW Manilowe
(edited)

I enjoyed the book. The earlier chapters have quite a bit of new info, whereas the later chapters were mostly things what we've seen on the show. Still, a great read.

I wasn't aware that Jen's parents were divorced for several years before getting back together when he was diagnosed with bladder cancer.

I also didn't know that Bill almost committed suicide when he was in college. One of the things I appreciated the most about the book was Bill and Jen being candid about their social insecurities and challenges. As a person with a congenital medical condition myself, I think the social stuff is way more difficult than the physical. And it's frustrating because that ignorance is so preventable and unnecessary. And while I'm not as accomplished as Bill and Jen, I am college educated and in a career, and I've lived independently since college. It's sometimes difficult for people like myself and Jen and Bill because we don't match the stereotype that society has for people with "disabilities." Anyway, I'm glad they touched on the subject in the book because on the show I don't think we've really seen any negative social interactions with them.

Edited by Katydid
  • Love 8

I don't see Jen as tricky but she is driven and ambitious. No one who went through what Jen did to become a doctor is going to be satisfied in a job where she can't reach her full potential. My guess is if she got a better offer today she would take it. Most of my friends or their spouses have relocated, sometimes more than once for a better job. One of my friends has moved to the east coast and to the mid west, finally ending up back in California to support her husband's career. I guess I just don't find it odd.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm waiting for the book so I'm certainly not ready to comment. Still, my impression has been Jen's position in Houston is very nearly unique, and a position for which she has nearly unique skills. That said, how big a surprise could it have been she could well have a professional move. Jen isn't just a little person, she is tiny, tiny. Her job opportunities would be so limited. I have difficulty believing Bill didn't anticipate the likelihood of a move. Does the book actually say Bill had every reason to believe she would be able to live out her career on Long Island? And do we know he gave up everything? I grant you I should wait to see how the book states these facts. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 2

I got the impression that Jen chose the job in Texas over the other offers because it gave her a chance to be involved in the building of their simulation program from the ground up. She mentions that she's passionate about simulation for the educational benefits, but also the practical side of it is that she realizes her physical challenges may make it increasingly difficult to do her typical neonatologist duties as she gets older. My feeling was that the Texas job was a more prominent job to set her up for a future focusing more on simulation and education.

• Love 3

4:00 pm : http://www.booksoup.com/jennifer-arnold-2015

I wish my poor arms & shoulders could make the 2 hour (1 way) drive, but I can barely run errands in a 1 mile radius from my home, and I don't have any pain meds to make the trip possible.   Bill & Jen are 2 of the very few people I'd even consider seeing in person, even at a book signing.   :-(

I'm sorry you couldn't make it.  I feel the same way.  I would love to meet them too.

• Love 2

So is the general consensus that the book is worth the read? I hope they do a book signing in Florida! I was so sad when I heard about the Houston one, that was the Barnes and noble around the corner from where I lived when I lived in Houston, literally 10 minutes from my house.

• Love 1

No mbutterfly, the book did not say those words specifically. That is how I saw the situation. However, she did not bring up relocation until after they were married.

Jen was offered quite a few jobs on the East Coast which would have put Bill closer to his work and family. Jen did not want any of them. I honestly believe she handled the situation sneakily. I think she waited until she had Bill locked down and then did what she planned to do with her career all along.

I look forward to hearing your interpretation of the situation once you read the book.

I do plan to read the book. Maybe the language they use in it will connote the "bait-and-switch" scenario you're feeling. But quite honestly, I can't imagine Jen being worried about the idea of Bill backing out of the marriage if he knew she wanted the job at Texas Children's. From what we've been shown of him, that is one besotted husband. I think he'd follow Jen up the north face of Everest...

• Love 9

I'm enjoying the book very much. I've read about the first third so far; they're both in college.

Wow; both went through so much medically as children, but there's no Matt Roloff-like "I can't believe what I had to endure" verbiage. Neither enjoyed the procedures, clearly, but they, and their parents, viewed the operations and their aftermath very matter-of-factly. They also discussed the divorces of their parents in a similar manner, although both were very much impacted by those events.

• Love 1

I downloaded the book to my kindle app and read it in 2 days, it was awesome and had to have my thesaurus close by...lol. But, seriously,,it was a good read and it went deeper into their personal struggles, for example, Bills struggle with being bullied and contemplating suicide in college. I would definitely recommend the book if you are a fan of the show.

Read it this weekend--very fast and enjoyable.

Enjoyable:

How they met;

Childhood including surgeries and difficult times;

Young adulthood and adulthood information

Less enjoyable:

Not enough about the adoption process;

The book ends right when they adopt Zoey so there is very little about either her/Will in the book.

Criticisms:

Jen/Bill are not great writers so don't read the book if an overabundance of clichés and sickly sweet positives will get on your nerves.  They aren't bad writers--the book is definitely interesting but you shouldn't read it FOR the writing, if you know what I mean. 

The book isn't very informative about dwarfism in general which, of course, may not matter to most people but I would have liked more.

Almost too Pollyanna in my opinion.  It is great that they both seem so upbeat and happy but, seriously, even being discriminated against is somehow presented as okay and nothing to worry about in the long run.

A whole chapter essentially about their wedding from Jen.  Just too much. I would rather have heart-felt writing about emotions rather than pages of wedding planning details.  Not very interesting.

Not enough about the adoptions.  As an adoptive Mom, I find that aspect very interesting but it seemed extremely rushed.

• Love 2

I liked the book up until the point that Bill and Jen met. In my opinion, at that point it became just like their "tell all episodes". Bill just goes on and on and on about how wonderful Jen is. I like to see a man love, respect, and appreciate his wife. However, in my opinion, Bill is disgustingly saccharine in his praise. When he starts his nonsense, I think to myself, "YUCK, please be a man".

I suspect that Bill is so confident of himself and so secure in his masculinity that he’s not ashamed to express his devotion and his admiration of his wife in any way he wishes to. Now that’s my kind of manly man :-).

• Love 9

I liked the book. I wish there were more with Zoey and Will, but maybe they will  when they have their next book come out. I like how , when they learned when children adopted from orphanages are used to caretakers coming and going they made sure to give the nanny time off and even limited grandparents time.The sent the tv crew away so they had family bonding time so the children could understand that they were their parents, not their caretakers. 

The very end of the book was inspirational in dealing with challenges and how to get through them. Think Big. I liked that. 

All in all, I think they are a wonderful family. Bill really cracked me up at points with his humor!

• Love 2

Not surprised that the second book is selling at a slower pace. They brought it out much too soon, at least IMO. The first book was a mere year ago. Probably trying to take advantage of still having a TV audience/fans, especially if they end up giving up the show in the next couple of years. Which I do hope they'll do - for the sake of the kids.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm about half way through and yes, I'm glad I got it through the library.  So far it isn't anything that wasn't known or easily guessed.  The surprise to me is that the apparent contradictions that people have found with what Jen says seem to show in the book also.  She's a master of saying things like she spent most weekends in St Pete with family to only two pages later talk about spending weekends with her best friend(s).  Bill also seems to be a much better writer or story teller.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 2