Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

29 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

I don't like Murder Chose Me

I like the show, but not the intro/promo.
I can't bring myself to watch Sin City Justice, because I hate the promo so much.

• Love 3
(edited)

[small voice]I like the Dateline/20/20 reruns.[/sv]

On Monday, OWN rebroadcast Dateline's Shattered Bonds, in which a young father was killed by his ex-wife's father so she wouldn't have to share their daughter, then while she was in prison awaiting trial, she had her mother attempt to arrange a hit on her ex-mother-in-law, who had custody of the baby.  Hearing about the control she exerted on their child's upbringing, and listening  to tapes of her talking with the victim(where she flat out tells him "You're right, it's my way or the highway, asshole")?  That bitch crazy.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, smittykins said:

[small voice]I like the Dateline/20/20 reruns.[/sv]

On Monday, OWN rebroadcast Dateline's Shattered Bonds, in which a young father was killed by his ex-wife's father so she wouldn't have to share their daughter, then while she was in prison awaiting trial, she had her mother attempt to arrange a hit on her ex-mother-in-law, who had custody of the baby.  Hearing about the control she exerted on their child's upbringing, and listening  to tapes of her talking with the victim(where she flat out tells him "You're right, it's my way or the highway, asshole")?  That bitch crazy.

They were a horrible family.

I love Dateline reruns, but they seem to rerun the same ones over and over.   

1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

I love Murder Chose Me Rod Demery seems so low key. I can't stand Garry McFadden he's full of himself.

I'll give it another try.  Perhaps I was just distracted.

I don't like Garry McFadden either.  I was shocked his show got another season.

Edited by ButterQueen
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

love Murder Chose Me Rod Demery seems so low key. I can't stand Garry McFadden he's full of himself.

He could tone it down, but Kenda is the same way.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, KellsBells said:

Ok, can anyone tell me how "Gone" is different from "Disappeared?"

I've only seen one episode however it looks like these will be about people missing for years until someone finds out what happened to them. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, badhaggis said:

I've only seen one episode however it looks like these will be about people missing for years until someone finds out what happened to them. 

Oh, I might watch it then.  I gave up on Disappeared, because most of the cases weren't resolved.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Oh, I might watch it then.  I gave up on Disappeared, because most of the cases weren't resolved.

I liked it but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. It did follow the Disappeared  style of being fairly obvious there was something they weren't saying about the situation.

• Love 1

There are so many new shows, it's hard to keep track, but I think it The Perfect Murder, which again brings us those tacky "might be" scenarios, as in "she might have been having an affair with the neighbor," or "he might have killed her because.."

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, auntjess said:

There are so many new shows, it's hard to keep track, but I think it The Perfect Murder, which again brings us those tacky "might be" scenarios, as in "she might have been having an affair with the neighbor," or "he might have killed her because.."

It is. I hate those segments. I always ff thru the maybe scenarios. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, auntjess said:

3 hours ago, badhaggis said:

It is. I hate those segments. I always ff thru the maybe scenarios. 

What I hate even more is the stupid sound effect of tape rewinding just before a cop expounds on his/her latest theory (with cheesy re-enactments, of course).

• Love 9
8 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

What I hate even more is the stupid sound effect of tape rewinding just before a cop expounds on his/her latest theory (with cheesy re-enactments, of course).

Right? And after you've watched the show a few times, you know it's not what really happened, so why bother?

• Love 9
On 3/31/2014 at 11:32 PM, auntjess said:

So many of the shows let you know who does the killing, like Snapped and the wives w/knives type shows.  I don't want the perp always to be the obvious suspect.

Even though that is the case for many of the Snapped episodes, that is still my show. Stories about brutal crimes committed by men against women (especially those with a misogynistic bent) wear me out after a while. 

I remember there was at least one Snapped episode in which the husband died due to self-defense, and the courts eventually ruled in her favor.

There was one case in which the woman got away with murder wasn't convicted of murdering her lover because her rich husband bought her the best criminal defense team he could. 

I also appreciate Snapped trying to get into the psychology of why the titular woman snapped. 

• Love 6

Just checked the name of the episode.  If you haven't seen the "Murder Well Done" episode of The Perfect Murder, count yourself lucky.
If you get a chance to see it, do NOT avail yourself of it.

• Love 4

Looks like Gone has its own forum. Not sure we need it, but it's there.

http://forums.previously.tv/forum/3467-gone/

Anyway, since it's being discussed here, I will add my comments about the first episode. I tried watching it about five times. Just isn't doing anything for me. I am fine with Disappeared and its many open-ended stories. We have about a million different shows that cover solved cases, especially murders and including ones that take years to solve. Don't really need another one. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Looks like Gone has its own forum. Not sure we need it, but it's there.

http://forums.previously.tv/forum/3467-gone/

Anyway, since it's being discussed here, I will add my comments about the first episode. I tried watching it about five times. Just isn't doing anything for me. I am fine with Disappeared and its many open-ended stories. We have about a million different shows that cover solved cases, especially murders and including ones that take years to solve. Don't really need another one. 

Commenting here as well.  The first one is about the missing son who ended up murdered, correct?  Didn't really get into that one, either, but the one last night was really good.  It was about the two girls that disappeared on their way to a bonfire party or something and they didn't find their bodies for over 40 years.  I think this is the first time I've actually seen that story explored on one of these channels, so I was really interested in the backstory (other than reading about it when their car was discovered), especially with the one girl's father who died at the age of 102 only five days before his daughter's remains were discovered.  I still have one question, though: if they were following the boys' car to the gravel pit, and then they were going over a hill and the boys didn't see the car after that, shouldn't they have explored all the area around that part of the road?  Wouldn't that have included the bridge and river?  Wouldn't that have been the logical explanation?  Anyway, I know the police officer they were interviewing for the show probably didn't want to question the tactics of the detectives back in the day, but that seemed like a glaring oversight (unless I missed something on the show and they explained it??).

And concur with your last statement, especially regarding the first of the Gone episode, but this one was legit mystery with no murder or foul play.  Just a terrible accident.  This seems a more interesting theme to be different than the usual murder/cold cases rolling out.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

Commenting here as well.  The first one is about the missing son who ended up murdered, correct?  Didn't really get into that one, either, but the one last night was really good.  It was about the two girls that disappeared on their way to a bonfire party or something and they didn't find their bodies for over 40 years.  I think this is the first time I've actually seen that story explored on one of these channels, so I was really interested in the backstory (other than reading about it when their car was discovered), especially with the one girl's father who died at the age of 102 only five days before his daughter's remains were discovered.  I still have one question, though: if they were following the boys' car to the gravel pit, and then they were going over a hill and the boys didn't see the car after that, shouldn't they have explored all the area around that part of the road?  Wouldn't that have included the bridge and river?  Wouldn't that have been the logical explanation?  Anyway, I know the police officer they were interviewing for the show probably didn't want to question the tactics of the detectives back in the day, but that seemed like a glaring oversight (unless I missed something on the show and they explained it??).

And concur with your last statement, especially regarding the first of the Gone episode, but this one was legit mystery with no murder or foul play.  Just a terrible accident.  This seems a more interesting theme to be different than the usual murder/cold cases rolling out.

I know I've seen the show about the two girls somewhere. In fact, it felt like one of those shows they just "re-brand" and show again. It seems as if it was maybe a "Crime to Remember" or something along those lines just re-branded. I remembered it very well as I watched it. Still, an interesting story, though, and one that I remember reading about when they found the car. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

Commenting here as well.  The first one is about the missing son who ended up murdered, correct?  Didn't really get into that one, either, but the one last night was really good.  It was about the two girls that disappeared on their way to a bonfire party or something and they didn't find their bodies for over 40 years.  I think this is the first time I've actually seen that story explored on one of these channels, so I was really interested in the backstory (other than reading about it when their car was discovered), especially with the one girl's father who died at the age of 102 only five days before his daughter's remains were discovered

I agree, the second one was much better. I liked that it wasn't a murder mystery. Just an everyday horrible accident, and how people deal with that. I think Disappeared did one like that, with the woman whose car went off the highway in Washington state. Fortunately, she was found alive.

The one last night got to me, because these girls disappeared just a couple months before I was born. I think about the 46 years of my life, and how they missed out on all that time. So sad. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

Also, is anyone else going to watch the Unabomber special event?  I'm pretty impressed with the cast they assembled for this one.

I watched the first episode and it was pretty good.  I loved the cast, and am learning more about the Unabomber than I knew before.  Paul Bettany is an unfamiliar name, but his voice is very familiar.

• Love 2
On 7/26/2017 at 8:06 PM, kathyk24 said:

I love Murder Chose Me Rod Demery seems so low key. I can't stand Garry McFadden he's full of himself.

McFadden does come across as cocky, however, I suppose you have to have a certain amount of confidence to investigate homicides for so many years.  What DID IMPRESS and TOUCH me, was this recent episode that showed how McFadden met a little girl years ago, whose father was brutally murdered in a robbery.  The little girl was shattered with the loss of her dad.  McFadden was the one who gave the family the news that night.  He comforted the little girl.  (I think she was 8 years old.)  He promised to get the bad guy, he did get the killer and sent him to prison.  He STAYED in that little girl's life, being a role model and father figure.  AND she asked him to walk her down the isle at her wedding!  He is now a grandfather figure for her children.  It brought tears to my eyes and I kind of look at him differently, after seeing that episode. They showed actual video of the wedding too, along with interviews of that little girl, who is now grown. 

• Love 12
12 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I watched the first episode and it was pretty good.  I loved the cast, and am learning more about the Unabomber than I knew before.  Paul Bettany is an unfamiliar name, but his voice is very familiar.

I thought so as well.  Very interesting back stories on all of the major people involved in the investigation (and, on a side note, wow on the detail that the FBI had a stamp guy who was investigating the stamp selection for 5 years!!?  And I thought my job was boring).  As for Paul Bettany, the role of his that stands out to me the most was he was the hallucinated friend of Russell Crowe's character in the movie "A Beautiful Mind."

13 hours ago, pigs-in-space said:

I'm surprised this is on ID.

HA!  I thought the same thing (and I saw that one of the executive producers is Kevin Spacey) especially when I have to power through Wives With Knives and A Perfect Murder for reasons mentioned on this forum!  So painfully bad sometimes.  Also looking forward to the John Wayne Gacy special, which I think starts this weekend.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, KellsBells said:

I know I've seen the show about the two girls somewhere. In fact, it felt like one of those shows they just "re-brand" and show again. It seems as if it was maybe a "Crime to Remember" or something along those lines just re-branded. I remembered it very well as I watched it. Still, an interesting story, though, and one that I remember reading about when they found the car. 

I didn't think any ID-type show had done it before (although, maybe like a Dateline or 20/20 since the discovery of the car/the girls was only three years ago), but, agree, very interesting and just really sad.  When the friend they interviewed said her first reaction was, "oh, they finally found you," the way she said it totally broke my heart.

• Love 3

I am very curious as to why the boys in the car heading to the gravel pit (who most likely wanted some female company) why did they not immediately go back and investigate when the car following them (the girls) vanished in the space of about 50 feet?  That makes absolutely no sense to me; surely they went back and looked?  Maybe they did see the submerged car and figured they wouldn't be able to save them, so why bother? I just dunno.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Paul Bettany is Jarvis/the Vision from Iron Man and the Avengers. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I am very curious as to why the boys in the car heading to the gravel pit (who most likely wanted some female company) why did they not immediately go back and investigate when the car following them (the girls) vanished in the space of about 50 feet?  That makes absolutely no sense to me; surely they went back and looked?  Maybe they did see the submerged car and figured they wouldn't be able to save them, so why bother? I just dunno.

This really bothered me too!  It's not as though they were driving down a major highway and they easily fell behind the boys' car amongst traffic - they were basically the only two cars on a country road driving at 10 at night.  I was pretty unsatisfied with the one answer from the boy (now man) that they assumed the girls found the turnoff to the gravel pit, but the girls were not there when the boys arrived.  And then they were reported missing the next day.  No one checked that portion of the road!?  I mean, it's probably not as if they could have been saved by then, but at least the families would have known sooner.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

HA!  I thought the same thing (and I saw that one of the executive producers is Kevin Spacey) especially when I have to power through Wives With Knives and A Perfect Murder for reasons mentioned on this forum!  So painfully bad sometimes.  Also looking forward to the John Wayne Gacy special, which I think starts this weekend.

Apparently it's airing on the Discovery Channel as well, but still...not exactly where I would've expected it.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

This really bothered me too!  It's not as though they were driving down a major highway and they easily fell behind the boys' car amongst traffic - they were basically the only two cars on a country road driving at 10 at night.  I was pretty unsatisfied with the one answer from the boy (now man) that they assumed the girls found the turnoff to the gravel pit, but the girls were not there when the boys arrived.  And then they were reported missing the next day.  No one checked that portion of the road!?  I mean, it's probably not as if they could have been saved by then, but at least the families would have known sooner.

I thought the same thing!  Why would LE check the river,. but, not the creek that had a bridge and was near the last place they were spotted by others on the road? Very odd, imo.  

Is anyone watching the Unabomba series?   Manhunt: Unabomber   It's not what I expected and I'm not too impressed.  It's more about the FBI than the Unabomber.

https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/manhunt-unabomber/

• Love 3
On 8/2/2017 at 6:36 PM, Brattinella said:

I don't think ID (Investigation Discovery) is the same thing as Discovery Channel.  ID is crime stuff, Discovery Channel is science stuff.

I know, but they're owned by the same company and they are airing it on both channels.  I just double-checked my guide and there are articles about it too.

Is anyone else watching Horror on the Homestead about Robert Pickton?  That Lisa woman who told the cops she didn't see any women's clothes or IDs on the property is a piece of work.  I doubt she even feels guilty about the fact that more women went missing after the cops asked her about it.

• Love 5

I tried another episode of the Unabomber series......couldn't finish it.  It's a shame too.  It had such potential.  It just got sacked down with poor vision and writing.  Maybe, the budget was limited. 

I wasn't feeling well yesterday so I just vegged out in front of the TV all day. TWO DIFFERENT episodes of TWO DIFFERENT SHOWS were about that Devin girl who was killed by her older girlfriend and her husband. Geez. Don't know what the fascination is for that story -- every show has done some version of it. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I tried another episode of the Unabomber series......couldn't finish it.  It's a shame too.  It had such potential.  It just got sacked down with poor vision and writing.  Maybe, the budget was limited. 

It is starting to grow on me.  Both Ted and Fitz are fascinating characters, and it is fun and stimulating to watch them spar.  Although I DO know how the story ends, I am really liking the peek into the inner workings of the police/feds.  I was local to this story, and it was in the paper for months.

• Love 2

Trying to watch A Perfect Murder. So freaking irritating. The worst of the worst: bad acting, bad plots, bad "dramatic" (NOT!) devices. An infomercial would be more interesting. Oh, and terrible writing. Gag me. 

Edited by KellsBells
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, KellsBells said:

Trying to watch A Perfect Murder. So freaking irritating. The worst of the worst: bad acting, bad plots, bad "dramatic" (NOT!) devices. An infomercial would be more interesting. Oh, and terrible writing. Gag me. 

One of my least favorite ID shows (and there's a LOT of them!).

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

One of my least favorite ID shows (and there's a LOT of them!).

I rarely watch anything live because I work/travel so much, but am sick this week and my eyes aren't letting me read so I'm stuck with TV. This show is absolutely the worst of the worst because it COULD be good, and is terrible in spite of itself. I wish they'd hire me to fix their terrible plot holes and inconsistencies. I could do it. I'd take a pay cut. 

• Love 3
Just now, KellsBells said:

I rarely watch anything live because I work/travel so much, but am sick this week and my eyes aren't letting me read so I'm stuck with TV. This show is absolutely the worst of the worst because it COULD be good, and is terrible in spite of itself. I wish they'd hire me to fix their terrible plot holes and inconsistencies. I could do it. I'd take a pay cut. 

Waiting for long overdue cataract surgery myself, but even these blurry eyes can't unsee the ID.  Any one of us on these forums could make the true crime shows SO much better.  I'm even on a Disco "Influencer Panel", but they never ask about ID shows - ever.  (I give them a piece of my mind for all the other pieces of shit on their roster of network shows, for what it's worth).

I'd fix their shows for free, just as a service to my fellow human beings, because I'm a humanitarian, dontcha know!.  :-D

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Waiting for long overdue cataract surgery myself, but even these blurry eyes can't unsee the ID.  Any one of us on these forums could make the true crime shows SO much better.  I'm even on a Disco "Influencer Panel", but they never ask about ID shows - ever.  (I give them a piece of my mind for all the other pieces of shit on their roster of network shows, for what it's worth).

I'd fix their shows for free, just as a service to my fellow human beings, because I'm a humanitarian, dontcha know!.  :-D

I'm an actual writer. We could be a team. Your knowledge, my skill, shared outrage. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, KellsBells said:

I'm an actual writer. We could be a team. Your knowledge, my skill, shared outrage. 

I just got to the part where they uttered the phrase "dastardly demon", and it was NOT tongue in cheek.  I rest my case.

And I'd be delighted and utterly honored to be your partner in crime (writing), KellsBells.  I may not be an actual person of knowledge, but I am an actual bitch (and was the crypt-keeper of silly ID show names, back in the day!).   :-)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

I just got to the part where they uttered the phrase "dastardly demon", and it was NOT tongue in cheek.  I rest my case.

And I'd be delighted and utterly honored to be your partner in crime (writing), KellsBells.  I may not be an actual person of knowledge, but I am an actual bitch (and was the crypt-keeper of silly ID show names, back in the day!).   :-)

Oh yes, Dastardly Demon. Cringing even as I type that. And as if I hadn't self-inflicted enough wounds, I then watched "Murder by Numbers." Aside from the fact that this particular story has been on several shows and they left out several key details, their stretch for "numbers" is painful.: 6 weeks after the murder of the 1st victim. Seriously? That's your "numbers?" We do need to get together and fix this crap! ID channel - Hit us Up! 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, KellsBells said:

Oh yes, Dastardly Demon. Cringing even as I type that. And as if I hadn't self-inflicted enough wounds, I then watched "Murder by Numbers." Aside from the fact that this particular story has been on several shows and they left out several key details, their stretch for "numbers" is painful.: 6 weeks after the murder of the 1st victim. Seriously? That's your "numbers?" We do need to get together and fix this crap! ID channel - Hit us Up! 

You're ghosting me, aren't you?!   :-)

I just watched those DVR'd shows, and am slapping myself for suffering through the idiocy of it all.  ID needs to fire everyone and just put any of us in charge - I guaranfuckingteeyou we'd have better shows on a better channel.

"Will work for cat food"

• Love 4
2 hours ago, KellsBells said:

Any one of us on these forums could make the true crime shows SO much better.  I'm even on a Disco "Influencer Panel", but they never ask about ID shows - ever.  (I give them a piece of my mind for all the other pieces of shit on their roster of network shows, for what it's worth).

I wish there was some way I could volunteer to be on some kind of Influencer Panel that would allow me to YELL my opinion that all y'all would improve ID's programing.  Kee-rist.

• Love 3