Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On 5/7/2024 at 11:49 PM, kathyk2 said:

Oxygen has a new show starting on Sunday called Sins of the South. I hope they are new cases and not ones we've seen many times.

Well, don't hold your breath. The first episode was a murder I had seen before, and an upcoming episode is about the Miami hotel heir murdered by Narcy Novak, which we have seen on a million different franchises. 

And ALL the comments I have read about the premiere episode say how unbelievably distracting the fake southern accent is on the narrator, which I would agree with. So I looked up who the narrator is, and it says Abigail Marlowe. There is only one Abigail Marlowe I could find, and she does do a lot of voiceover work, but guess where she is from? Freakin' England!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

So "Accident, Suicide, or Murder" started its new season tonight, and the case they featured in the latest episode...this one's gonna stick with me a while. It's wild and incredibly sad and disturbing. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 5/16/2024 at 11:49 AM, LuvMyShows said:

Well, don't hold your breath. The first episode was a murder I had seen before, and an upcoming episode is about the Miami hotel heir murdered by Narcy Novak, which we have seen on a million different franchises. 

And ALL the comments I have read about the premiere episode say how unbelievably distracting the fake southern accent is on the narrator, which I would agree with. So I looked up who the narrator is, and it says Abigail Marlowe. There is only one Abigail Marlowe I could find, and she does do a lot of voiceover work, but guess where she is from? Freakin' England!!

The episode about the couple from Tennessee? I hadn't seen that one before. I will skip the Narcy Novack episode.

Interesting little tidbit I noticed from the Sins of the South episode about the polo player. When they showed an actual photo of the blood in the mansion's kitchen, the little cafe table chair that had blood on it, was a cheap crap chair with a ratty/tattered/disgusting cushion on it. It made no sense whatsoever that a financially solvent mega millionaire heiress with a sprawling country estate should have furnishings that look like that. Then later in the show they mentioned that she was really stingy with money, and then it all made sense. But really, that is pretty much in pathological cheapness realm, to have that much money and grandeur, and have chairs/cushions that literally would not be accepted by Goodwill!

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1

OMG more idiot detectives! On the recent Kill or Be Killed, "Killer Cam Girl", the girl was at the police station and had told her story to the detective of what had happened the night before, when her boyfriend had been killed at her apartment. Then, while she was still talking, the police at the crime scene found important audio evidence, which they called up the detective to notify him of in real time, while the girl was still there being questioned. It proved that everything she had said so far was a lie.

So the detective then says to her, "Why don't you really tell us what happened at 4:00 am?" And rather than just leave it at that, so she could undoubtedly implicate herself in another lie with whatever cover story she could quickly come up with, he instead goes on to say something like, "Because we know that xyz..." and goes on to detail all the new information that they had just learned!  

BTW, I was stunned to hear the boyfriend's blood alcohol level in the autopsy. It was something like .385, probably the highest I've ever heard of in someone still upright (he was a long-time alcoholic, and I'm guessing had built up something of a tolerance). I'm surprised that it was never brought up how he would have been completely unable to engage in the protracted strenuous physical fight that the defense alleged, given that Dr. Google says a BAC that high brings on near total loss of motor functions. Even with a tolerance, he would have barely been able to muster a fraction of the supposedly intense and prolonged physical aggression.

• Like 4
On 5/18/2024 at 9:04 PM, Annber03 said:

So "Accident, Suicide, or Murder" started its new season tonight, and the case they featured in the latest episode...this one's gonna stick with me a while. It's wild and incredibly sad and disturbing. 

Yeah, near the end when they found the two women dead and whoever was talking said they had been glad that the boy hadn't been found with them, because it meant that he might be alive, I was thinking "not a chance". But I was so surprised to hear that even now they don't know what happened to him. What awful women.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Yeah, near the end when they found the two women dead and whoever was talking said they had been glad that the boy hadn't been found with them, because it meant that he might be alive, I was thinking "not a chance". But I was so surprised to hear that even now they don't know what happened to him. What awful women.

That bit about the dryer sheets. That...that just can't be good. 

But yeah, what a haunting end to that story. That's gotta be keeping those detectives up at night, for sure. 

• Like 2

Did anyone watch the last two episodes of Accused: Guilty or Innocent, about the boy who was charged with killing his parents while they slept? Curious as to whether people think he was innocent or guilty.

1 minute ago, LuvMyShows said:

Did anyone watch the last two episodes of Accused: Guilty or Innocent, about the boy who was charged with killing his parents while they slept? Curious as to whether people think he was innocent or guilty.

I watched the first one and have recorded but not watched the second.

The brother seems more likely to be the killer.  Police only focused on the son that was home.

I really like this show!

Hands down, I think Kenda is the best at narrating a true crime show. He's back with season 4 of ID's American Detective.  He draws you into the show with his commentary and always has little nuggets to add, even when the case wasn't his, as is the premise of this show. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

There's a new show on Oxygen called Deadly Waters with Captain Lee, the guy from Bravo's Below Deck series. In the first episode "Ghost Ship", these two guys want to charter a boat to take them from Florida to Bimini, to meet up with their girlfriends' boat in Bimini. The captain explains to them that it would be way cheaper for them to fly, but they say that their passports got accidentally packed in their girlfriends' suitcases, so they can't fly. Right away serious alarm bells should have gone off for the captain, but it didn't, and sure enough, tragedy befalls the whole crew when the passengers kill them in order to take the boat themselves to Cuba.  But stupidly, and fortunately, the passengers knew nothing about the waters or boating, and ran out of gas. The idiots would have been much better off tying up the crew, and forcing the captain at gunpoint to sail to Cuba, and then killing everyone.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2