Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On 2/22/2017 at 11:41 PM, kathyk24 said:

Murder Chose me was good tonight I hope they choose cases that don't always trace back to something in Rod Demery's past. I felt so sorry for Tiffany from last week's Murder Chose Me. Her father was a monster and she lost contact with her only sister. I

I am pretty sure that was Evil Lives Here. I know so many of the shows do the same stories sometimes it's hard to keep them straight.

• Love 2
On 2/23/2017 at 0:24 PM, Jeeves said:

I know. I came across that episode about halfway through when channel surfing and stopped to watch, because I recognized Henry Hill. At some point I hit the "info" button and was surprised to see it was Locked Up Abroad. Which is, for some reason, a series I've never wanted to watch. 

The main thing I have ever learned from watching Locked Up Abroad is don't smuggle drugs!! No matter how easy someone says it will be!

• Love 3
(edited)

Anyone watch the See No Evil where the young girl was abducted from WalMart?  My god it was scary.  And seeing the killer try to abduct a different girl earlier, but she gets in her car too quickly, was like watching a horror movie.  It's no wonder I hate going out at dark alone.

Edited by ButterQueen
  • Love 8

Last night's See No Evil wasn't difficult to watch - until the motive for the murder was revealed.  There are a lot of twisted people out there; shooting your stepdaughter in the head so you can have sex with her dead body?  That's right up there.  *Shudder*

• Love 13
(edited)

I love Evil Lives here as well. It's really heavy on one of my pet peeves, though. I always like to listen to my murder-and-mayhem shows as I'm playing a game or falling asleep. Evil Lives Here doesn't have a narrator, but they put up screen shots of info (not sure how to describe it). Irritating to have to stop to keep reading when I'm playing a game and impossible when I'm trying to just listen with my eyes closed.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, tobeannounced said:

I love Evil Lives here as well. It's really heavy on one of my pet peeves, though. I always like to listen to my murder-and-mayhem shows as I'm playing a game or falling asleep. Evil Lives Here doesn't have a narrator, but they put up screen shots of info (not sure how to describe it). Irritating to have to stop to keep reading when I'm playing a game and impossible when I'm trying to just listen with my eyes closed.

That is annoying.  I love to nap listening to Dateline.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I do the same thing!  I find it almost impossible to just sit and watch TV without multitasking somehow.  :-)

22 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

Me too - I find Keith Morrison's voice especially soothing (my idea of a bedtime story). 

• Love 13
21 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

For me, 5-10 minutes max of Forensic Files is every bit as good as any sleeping pill or Benadryl.  Doesn't even matter I've seen every episode at least a half dozen times.  :)

• Love 7
(edited)

I've been home a lot in the daytime lately. Right now I'm watching The Justice Network, which is available over the air and on cable at my house. This morning they've been running several episodes of the good old Power, Privilege & Justice series with the late Dominick Dunne.

I hope it's not a sign of mental decline, that I like tuning in to shows that I've seen about a hundred times already. Right now the episode that's on is the Kristi Koslow case. This one gives Dunne plenty of opportunity for scathing comments about the killers.

And oh Lord, was it ever a stupid horrible pointless crime. Teenaged Kristi recruited a couple of teenaged guys including her boyfriend, to attack and kill her father and stepmother. She'd always hated her stepmother and was full of resentment that she wasn't living as large as she thought she should be, based on her stepmother's wealth. She believed that if both her father and stepmother were dead, she'd inherit millions. Well, first of all the guys' bloody midnight attack killed her stepmother but her father survived (by literally a whisker; the ER surgeon said that Mr. Koslow's throat was slashed so close to the carotid artery that the surgeon couldn't guarantee that he could get that close with a scalpel and not hit it). And anyway, Kristi wasn't the beneficiary of the wills, so she wouldn't have been rolling in dough anyway. 

I'm no expert, but I've read that the human brain is still developing throughout adolescence. Fortunately the stupid things that most kids do are less horrific and permanent than murder, but tragically for Caren and Jack Koslow, Kristi Koslow's teenaged brain caused murder. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4

I'm surprised at how much I'm loving Murder Chose Me. The last post-HH first person detective show was a snooze fest to me but MCM is every bit as good as HH. And the resemblance between the real detective and the actor is uncanny. 

Yes, the last See No Evil was disturbing. It takes a lot to shock me but that did it. 

• Love 7
On 3/2/2017 at 0:07 PM, walnutqueen said:

I do the same thing!  I find it almost impossible to just sit and watch TV without multitasking somehow.  :-)

Me too - I find Keith Morrison's voice especially soothing (my idea of a bedtime story). 

I keep a few Keith Morrison episodes on my DVR for naps and bedtime.  

• Love 3

Did anyone watch Who Killed Jane Doe? 
I couldn't figure out why her brother, who really wanted to find her, never called or send a missing person flyer to the Phoenix and other Arizona police.,  She'd told him she was in Phoenix when she called last.  Too, the phone bill should have shown the number she called from.
It wouldn't have saved her, but might have saved the other woman that Jack killed.

• Love 5

I watched many true crimes shows last night, due to everything else being reruns.  The one that sticks in my mind is the pair of detectives who are called to a house where this guy is mortally hurt on the porch.  He is the brother of the pregnant girl who lives there.  The police go to the hospital where the brother is pronounced dead.  His sister, stayed behind to clean up the blood.

The cops think this is suspicious, especially since they found a large pair of pants there that would not fit her brother.  The cop gets a call from his dad, and says his mom has just died.  So, he goes to console his dad, and the other detective goes back to the house to investigate some more, finds blood under the carpet, and then is ambushed and killed.  So, the other cop loses both his mom and his partner, same night.

It was a heart breaking story all the way around.  The killer actually was the girl's boyfriend, who shot her brother while he was seated on her couch, in her presence. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I watched many true crimes shows last night, due to everything else being reruns.  The one that sticks in my mind is the pair of detectives who are called to a house where this guy is mortally hurt on the porch.  He is the brother of the pregnant girl who lives there.  The police go to the hospital where the brother is pronounced dead.  His sister, stayed behind to clean up the blood.

The cops think this is suspicious, especially since they found a large pair of pants there that would not fit her brother.  The cop gets a call from his dad, and says his mom has just died.  So, he goes to console his dad, and the other detective goes back to the house to investigate some more, finds blood under the carpet, and then is ambushed and killed.  So, the other cop loses both his mom and his partner, same night.

It was a heart breaking story all the way around.  The killer actually was the girl's boyfriend, who shot her brother while he was seated on her couch, in her presence. 

I just saw this. Boy that was brutal... I never heard that story before. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I felt the same way you did but I was so pissed at the sister! Choosing the POS boyfriend over her brother. The detective did say she might have been afraid of him but had she told the truth, he would have been back in prison for life for crying out loud!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

I just watched Fobidden:Dying for love and I cried at the end. This was such a horrific crime by family members.I won't say more in case you haven't seen it. It is worth a watch.

Ooh - just checked my DVR and it recorded while I was sleeping!  Thanks, hoosiermom - I'll be watchng soon & getting back to you.  :-)

• Love 1
15 hours ago, auntjess said:

Did anyone watch Who Killed Jane Doe? 
I couldn't figure out why her brother, who really wanted to find her, never called or send a missing person flyer to the Phoenix and other Arizona police.,  She'd told him she was in Phoenix when she called last.  Too, the phone bill should have shown the number she called from.
It wouldn't have saved her, but might have saved the other woman that Jack killed.

I just watched this and I didn't put as much thought into it as you did. I just thought it was sad but glad they knew what happened to her in the end. I cried on this one too. I need to quit watching this stuff but I just can't! I'm addicted!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, hoosiermom said:

I just watched Fobidden:Dying for love and I cried at the end. This was such a horrific crime by family members.I won't say more in case you haven't seen it. It is worth a watch.

OK - just watched and my tears were of anger and outrage,  FUCK misogynistic "cultures", and FUCK all misogynists & their beliefs. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

OK - just watched and my tears were of anger and outrage,  FUCK misogynistic "cultures", and FUCK all misogynists & their beliefs. 

Absolutely! That family was vile!

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, badhaggis said:

Absolutely! That family was vile!

YES!!!  They besmirch the very meaning of the word "honor", and there is NO word awful enough to describe them - but "vile" will do for now.

• Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

YES!!!  They besmirch the very meaning of the word "honor", and there is NO word awful enough to describe them - but "vile" will do for now.

The mother particularly disgusted me. How can a mother do what she did? I watched it before bed and wished I hadn't I was so disturbed by those monsters! 

Edited by badhaggis
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Speaking of "vile", do you want to go to Pam Hupp's trial with me?

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

Speaking of "vile", do you want to go to Pam Hupp's trial with me?

Find somebody to feed my critters & give my Babalu twice daily injections & pills, all while tolerating my little house of horrors, and I am there with you hoosiermom!  But I cannot promise to "behave"  ...  ;-)

See, she's on my imaginary "kill if I'm dying" list, which seems to be getting longer, GODDAMMIT!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Find somebody to feed my critters & give my Babalu twice daily injections & pills, all while tolerating my little house of horrors, and I am there with you hoosiermom!  But I cannot promise to "behave"  ...  ;-)

See, she's on my imaginary "kill if I'm dying" list, which seems to be getting longer, GODDAMMIT!

Hahahahaha. Thanks, I needed that! "Kill if I'm dying list". Best idea ever. Mind if I borrow it? I have critters too. Didn't think about that. But I would love to go to that trial if I could!

• Love 1

Well, my "kill if I'm dying" list was born on these forums, and inspired by Pam effing Hupp long before the long arm of the law caught up with her.  Some poster mentioned Karma getting her in the end, and I said the bitch better hope I'm not diagnosed with a terminal illness, lest I get my affairs in order, legally change my name to "KARMA", and hunt her sorry ass down to kill her.  I think I might have plotted a hypothetical murder scenario, involving adult diapers and back roads, but I'm old, and my memory is as unreliable as my statements.  ;-)

The "kill if I'm dying" list SHOULD be shared amongst us all - much like the ID Show titles list we amused ourselves with, back in the day.

• Love 9

I've got a rerun of Murder Comes To Town (that I've seen before) in the background while I'm doing stuff, but I'm looking forward to the new season that starts @ 10:00 tonight.  I'm very sad that the narrator of this show died last year (Joe Alaskey), as I loved his narration.  Hard to believe he also did the voices of Bugs Bunny & many other cartoon characters.  I sure hope they got someone with a nice voice for this show, because it's a huge thing for me.  I've never been able to watch "Snapped" or "Deadly Women" (to name a couple) for this exact reason (can't stand the women narrators' voices).  I've always liked Murder Comes To Town, and it's due, in large part (in my opinion) to the narration.  We shall see. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Well, my "kill if I'm dying" list was born on these forums, and inspired by Pam effing Hupp long before the long arm of the law caught up with her.  Some poster mentioned Karma getting her in the end, and I said the bitch better hope I'm not diagnosed with a terminal illness, lest I get my affairs in order, legally change my name to "KARMA", and hunt her sorry ass down to kill her.  I think I might have plotted a hypothetical murder scenario, involving adult diapers and back roads, but I'm old, and my memory is as unreliable as my statements.  ;-)

The "kill if I'm dying" list SHOULD be shared amongst us all - much like the ID Show titles list we amused ourselves with, back in the day.

This is one of the best things I've ever read. It's amazing.

• Love 1

Only 10 minutes into Murder Comes to Town, but I've gotta hand it to I.D. -- they chose a pretty damn good narrator for this show.  I like him!  He's no Peter Thomas or Bill Kurtis, but he's definitely someone I'll listen to easily. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

You won the interwebs tonight, Walnutqueen. Wish I had a ROTFLMAO emoji.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 3
(edited)

Also wanted to mention I finally saw the Real Detective about the cop who lost his mother and his partner in the same day. This is how you do reenactments. Love that they actually take the time to write a quality script and get quality actors to bring it to life.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, Court said:

This is one of the best things I've ever read. It's amazing.

Oh, if only I could recall all the awesomeness of those early posts.  Somebody offered to buy me plane tickets, and I went on a rant about leaving a criminal trail, and how one should collect ga s cans and drive dark back roads to avoid surveillance cameras, etc. etc. ... not to mention an alibi, which I'm sure my true crime peeps here would provide.  We had a PLAN, man, and I was the criminal mastermind for a hot minute.  ;-)

Let's just say that ID, 20/20, 48 Hours & Dateline taught me How To Get Away With Murder.  (suck it, Shonda!)

@hee

• Love 6
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Sorry, but I think politics isn't allowed, so I can't share my list.

• Love 8

I'm watching Murder Comes To Town and its driving me crazy because I know I've seen this case covered on another show, but I forget who the killer is.

I'm so sad to read the original narrator died....he's one of the reasons I love this show.

Don't forget Keith Morrison's 2 hour special tonight on the ID channel.  It starts at 9 pm EST.  I've never heard of the case he's covering.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Oh, if only I could recall all the awesomeness of those early posts.  Somebody offered to buy me plane tickets, and I went on a rant about leaving a criminal trail, and how one should collect ga s cans and drive dark back roads to avoid surveillance cameras, etc. etc. ... not to mention an alibi, which I'm sure my true crime peeps here would provide.  We had a PLAN, man, and I was the criminal mastermind for a hot minute.  ;-)

Let's just say that ID, 20/20, 48 Hours & Dateline taught me How To Get Away With Murder.  (suck it, Shonda!)

@hee

Ah, that was me Walnutqueen. I wanted to go get Pam Hupp with you and you straightened my ass out real quick on how to plan a proper murder! And you don't even have a cell phone! Lol (we would have to get burner phones anyway, that I do know!)

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

Ah, that was me Walnutqueen. I wanted to go get Pam Hupp with you and you straightened my ass out real quick on how to plan a proper murder! And you don't even have a cell phone! Lol (we would have to get burner phones anyway, that I do know!)

Of course - my partner in crime, hoosiermom!!!

And I still don't see any need for burner phones.  We don't need to be talking to anyone but ourselves (or each  other).    ;-)

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I'm watching Murder Comes To Town and its driving me crazy because I know I've seen this case covered on another show, but I forget who the killer is.

I'm so sad to read the original narrator died....he's one of the reasons I love this show.

Don't forget Keith Morrison's 2 hour special tonight on the ID channel.  It starts at 9 pm EST.  I've never heard of the case he's covering.

I know it from seeing it multiple times on Forensic Files. :) I'll leave it to you all to tell me if it was worth a two-hour retelling.

Edited by RinaX
  • Love 2
(edited)

I wondered why the Katrinak case deserved this two-hour "is the perp innocent" treatment that has gotten so popular since the West Memphis 3 case. Looks like someone wrote a book about the case. I guess this is the hook these days. Tired of watching the same stories over and over? How about if they present the same stories, but now claim the defendant is innocent? Use an author or a podcast presenter as the "expert". Don't question that "expert" very aggressively. Maybe they can get a new trial, which they can also cover. I am getting kind of skeeved by this, especially since it puts the victim's family through all of this shit again. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Wow.  That lawyer alleged the DA switched the slides to frame his client.  Gah!!  How insulting is that??

Pretty amazing, huh? I'm not a fan of judicial and police authorities, but that was ridiculous. His reasoning is that they didn't want to admit that the real killer was still out there? Like no case has ever gone unsolved? 

• Love 3

Seems like several people would have to be involved with switching hair samples. Not sure several people would be willing to ruin their lives to frame someone they don't know. Seems like they were trying to point the finger at the husband. I must say, he did have a weird affect during his interviews. They need to just leave this alone now I think.

• Love 5
(edited)

Definitely seemed like they were trying to imply Andy Katrinak did it,  although even Rorrer's attorney admitted that none of the DNA came back to him. Andy did have an odd expression on his face in news interviews. I just don't know that it's enough to suspect him of killing his infant son with zero evidence of that. Maybe his wife, but not his baby. 

And, yes, that would have to be quite a conspiracy. In cases where evidence has been falsified in labs, it's been someone in the lab who got overzealous. In this case, they're claiming everyone from cops to the lab staff to the prosecution lied, falsified and threatened people. If they were going to do that, why do it to her? Wouldn't it be easier to pin it on Andy? 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 4