Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I see on my channel line-up for I.D. that the Skylar Neese murder will be featured on Friday's episode of Suspicion.  I think this case has been on just about every investigative show on TV (plus Lifetime movie?) but I'll probably watch it anyhow.  Still hard to believe that the perps didn't both get LWOP - one is eligible for parole in 10 yrs., the other 15 yrs.  Unbelievable. 

• Love 3
On October 15, 2016 at 8:02 AM, Lizzing said:

Paula Zahn has a major addiction to the word "brutal".  Every attack and murder is "brutal"; she seems to know no synonyms.  And she has to remind the viewers every ten minutes that the (usually) female victim was beautiful and/or stunning (implying that were the victim some homely looking gal, the murder would be far more understandable?).  I only watch her because her cases usually haven't been done to death by other shows.

Paula uses the same words over and over. One of her favorites is SHOCKING. Actually any adjective she uses, she shouts. And on nearly every episode she uses the word IMMEDIATELY.  But with her shouting, she says, "UM-mediately"

• Love 5

I like the droll host of True Nightmares.  He's delightfully retro and cheesy.   The reenactments are laughably awful.  They actually did a true story from 1830 but made no effort whatsoever to make it period authentic.   Villagers were strolling about in jeans and using flashlights at night. 

ID just keeps getting worse with each season. 

I imagine they'll be launching the Cry Wolfe Network any time now.

• Love 12
On 10/22/2016 at 2:11 AM, Fable said:

I watched news documentary about dogs a few months ago, and surprisingly (or not), most dogs will run in fear from an intruder or attacker.  While true most dogs will bark and make noise, unless they were trained otherwise, most of them won’t do a thing. 

Fable - I initially was very disheartened (and in disbelief) to read your post because I've been the "caretaker" of a half dozen dogs in my life (4 Airedale Terriers and 2 Golden Retrievers).  However, after reading many articles on the subject on the 'net since your post-- (after all....if it's on the internet it must be true, right?  haha!) -- from reputable sources -- you are right on the money.  Shit!  I now have a mini Goldendoodle (my avatar) & tho Maizie has a GREAT bark, whenever I hear a noise in the house & I go to investigate, that dog is behind me every step of the way!  (And when she rolls over on her back & you pet her belly, she'll show you where the GOOD stuff is!)  In any event, I'm very glad that over the years of having a dog in my house I've slept peacefully knowing they would protect me.

(Mods...sorry for going off-topic...sorta....)

Edited by Maizie131
  • Love 2

Apologies if there's already a forum for this that I didn't see, but did anyone watch Southwest of Salem on ID?  It was about four gay women in San Antonio who were convicted of molesting one of the women's two young nieces back in the 90's.  It was so well done and engrossing, and it's the kind of programming I wish ID would focus more on, instead of crap like Cry Wolfe or some of the other schlocky shows with the terrible reenactments.

• Love 8
On 10/15/2016 at 6:02 AM, Lizzing said:

Paula Zahn has a major addiction to the word "brutal".  Every attack and murder is "brutal"; she seems to know no synonyms.  And she has to remind the viewers every ten minutes that the (usually) female victim was beautiful and/or stunning (implying that were the victim some homely looking gal, the murder would be far more understandable?).  I only watch her because her cases usually haven't been done to death by other shows.

^^^So true, so disgusting. 

It's early in the morning here. Half an hour ago I flipped through the onscreen program guide to find a channel that wouldn't be running those horrible political commercials (Election Day can't come soon enough for me). On ID there was a Zahn repeat. The short blurb said the episode was about phone records helping to solve the "murder of a popular teenager."

Yeah, Paula. Not enough that a woman is killed, for you to deign to cover the story she must have been BEAUTIFUL, or STUNNING.

And the poor teenager? Well, it's a tragedy worth your Queenly attention if the kid was POPULAR.

God forbid, the kid was awkward and didn't fit in at school, and then got killed.

Oh, hell, maybe she's onto something. Maybe they don't get as many viewers if the victim wasn't a BEAUTIFUL STUNNING woman or  POPULAR teenager.

This, after all, is the America that keeps Jerry Springer, the Duggars, and Love It or List It on the air. IOW, the bar is low. Very low.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

Apologies if there's already a forum for this that I didn't see, but did anyone watch Southwest of Salem on ID?  It was about four gay women in San Antonio who were convicted of molesting one of the women's two young nieces back in the 90's.  It was so well done and engrossing, and it's the kind of programming I wish ID would focus more on, instead of crap like Cry Wolfe or some of the other schlocky shows with the terrible reenactments.

I saw it about a week ago.   A pity no action was taken against the accuser, what was his name, Javier?  Something like that.  A narcissistic, misogynistic, vindictive would-be pedophile.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

Do any of you recall the 20/20 or Dateline about the young newly-married couple living in a high rise who got in an argument & she (accidentally?) pushed him out the window?  Was shocked to read this article.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/26/oklahoma-woman-convicted-in-murder-husband-hangs-herself-in-prison.html

Yes, I remember this story well.  A defense theory was the glass floor-to-ceiling windows (on the 25th floor!) were inferior and THIN.  This theory didn't fly, naturally, and she was convicted.  Nasty story.

• Love 3
On 10/25/2016 at 11:21 PM, millennium said:

I just saw a half-decent new show on ID -- new case not already covered on other shows, realistically portrayed.   The show is called Dead Silent.

I watched that last night.  I thought it was well done too.  Like a scary camp fire story.  I wonder if this was a one-off or if it's going to be a series.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

I watched that last night.  I thought it was well done too.  Like a scary camp fire story.  I wonder if this was a one-off or if it's going to be a series.

It looks like a series - but on ID, a series can consist of as little as three to five episodes.  Web of Lies, for example, or Fear Thy Neighbor (my two favorite shows on the network).

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

So we've got at least 3 new shows on I.D. -- Grave Secrets, Married with Secrets and Dead Silent.  Who the hell names these shows? I'm sure all 3 will feature crimes we've never heard of before (not). 

Married with Secrets sounds like a definite ripoff of Who the Bleep did I Marry.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, slensam said:

Married with Secrets sounds like a definite ripoff of Who the Bleep did I Marry.

I actually kinda liked Who the Bleep did I Marry because of the gal who narrated it -- she had a sing-songy voice dripping with sarcasm that I thought was amusing and appropriate to the situation.  (Am I thinking of the right show?  I get so confused! ha!)

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

I actually kinda liked Who the Bleep did I Marry because of the gal who narrated it -- she had a sing-songy voice dripping with sarcasm that I thought was amusing and appropriate to the situation.  (Am I thinking of the right show?  I get so confused! ha!)

Yes, don't think this is going to be as good.

• Love 1

I recently watched a show, I want to say Blood Relatives, where someone produced a receipt from a fast food place to establish an alibi.  My first thought was ‘how many people keep fast food receipts’?   I can’t speak for anyone else, but the only receipts I save are for articles I may need to return at some point.  Why save receipts for consumables, like cigarettes, beer, food, etcetera?  I have enough clutter without that junk. 

20 minutes ago, Fable said:

I recently watched a show, I want to say Blood Relatives, where someone produced a receipt from a fast food place to establish an alibi.  My first thought was ‘how many people keep fast food receipts’?   I can’t speak for anyone else, but the only receipts I save are for articles I may need to return at some point.  Why save receipts for consumables, like cigarettes, beer, food, etcetera?  I have enough clutter without that junk. 

I save them if there's an offer for free food or free food with purchase after doing a survey.

I remember a case of a husband claiming to be out getting fast food while he wife was being murdered at home. 

• Love 2
On October 25, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Maizie131 said:

I see on my channel line-up for I.D. that the Skylar Neese murder will be featured on Friday's episode of Suspicion.  I think this case has been on just about every investigative show on TV (plus Lifetime movie?) but I'll probably watch it anyhow.  Still hard to believe that the perps didn't both get LWOP - one is eligible for parole in 10 yrs., the other 15 yrs.  Unbelievable. 

Sheila was sentenced to life in prison, with the possibility of parole after 15 years.

Rachel was sentenced to 30 years in prison, with parole possible in 10 years.

I doubt either will get out on parole anytime soon.....they would have to show remorse.

They both took plea deals.  I agree, it should have been LWOP for both.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed last night's episode of True Nightmares on I.D.   (3 stories: mother/son relationship; boy who died after trick or treating; and woman who faked her own death.)  Must say I was shocked at outcome of the trick or treating story.  I like seeing the photographs of the actual people involved at the very end.  Reminds me of A Crime to Remember

Todd Robbins, the narrator, is perfect for this show.  Do any of you recall a show that used to be on that was similar, told 2 or 3 stories, but you had to guess which one was false?  I loved that show but I can't think of the name of it. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Maizie131 said:

Do any of you recall a show that used to be on that was similar, told 2 or 3 stories, but you had to guess which one was false?  I loved that show but I can't think of the name of it. 

I do remember it.  Let me ask my brother-in-law, I think he watched it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138956/

Edited by auntjess
Found it on IMDB.
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

Sheila was sentenced to life in prison, with the possibility of parole after 15 years.

Rachel was sentenced to 30 years in prison, with parole possible in 10 years.

I doubt either will get out on parole anytime soon.....they would have to show remorse.

They both took plea deals.  I agree, it should have been LWOP for both.

Were they minors when they committed the crime?(The Supreme Court ruled a couple of years ago that underage offenders can't be sentenced to LWOP.)

• Love 1

Tonight's Killer Clergy on I.D.  No can do because of the narrator.  11 minutes in I couldn't listen to him anymore.  I appreciate there will never be another Peter Thomas or Bill Kurtis, but shit!  This man's voice is, in my opinion, extremely irritating for some reason (maybe a Paula Zahn male equivalent?) & I can't watch the show as a result.  For any of you who did -- tell me -- am I nuts?!  (Be kind, people!  ha!) 

Okay...watched 10 minutes more but couldn't get past the inflection of that narrator!  BTW, add Paul Winfield to my list of favorite narrators.)

Edited by Maizie131
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, AKraven said:

I may have to give up.  Goddamn it, ID, let's get your shit together!  You bastards/bitches!

AKraven - wish I could give you 10 likes for your comment.   The first time I saw the promo for Truth is Stranger Than Florida my initial thought was...WTF does that even mean?   That Florida is strange?  Should I assume that the premise of the show will be murders that happened in Florida?  If I was a Floridian I'd take real offense to that title & hope the State of Florida/Florida Tourism Board sues the shit outta I.D.

• Love 2
On 10/29/2016 at 11:19 PM, Fable said:

There have been a couple of cases I remember where the killer kept a fast food receipt to try and prove they were elsewhere when the crime was committed, but I think in both cases, the cops ended up driving from the crime scene to the fast food place and determining that the killer would have had just the right amount of time to do the murder *and* grab a burger.  (Or in one of the cases, a Frosty from Wendy's lol)

1 hour ago, Maizie131 said:

AKraven - wish I could give you 10 likes for your comment.   The first time I saw the promo for Truth is Stranger Than Florida my initial thought was...WTF does that even mean?   That Florida is strange?  Should I assume that the premise of the show will be murders that happened in Florida?  If I was a Floridian I'd take real offense to that title & hope the State of Florida/Florida Tourism Board sues the shit outta I.D.

I wonder if they stole the idea from that stupid Sonic commercial with the two guys, where one of them is trying to name different planets and he says Florida.  The other guy is like, "Florida isn't a planet, it's a state." To which the first guy says something like, "Well, it seems like an entirely different world sometimes..." 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

There have been a couple of cases I remember where the killer kept a fast food receipt to try and prove they were elsewhere when the crime was committed, but I think in both cases, the cops ended up driving from the crime scene to the fast food place and determining that the killer would have had just the right amount of time to do the murder *and* grab a burger.  (Or in one of the cases, a Frosty from Wendy's lol)

The one I remember was that California principal, who had a fast food receipt from some midwest state where he claimed he'd been visiting his family, but it turned out he didn't stay long, and his brother, got the receipt, and the guy drove home early and killed his wife,, 3 children, and mother-in-law.
The forensic entomolgist somehow figured in proving his guilt.

• Love 2

The only thing that surprised me about that promo for "Truth Is Stranger Than Florida" is that it took this long for ID to do that type of show. Many of us here in Florida are perfectly sane and do not steal police cars while naked and hopped up on meth, but our weird gets reported on more than other states. 

• Love 8
On 10/28/2016 at 5:41 PM, smittykins said:

I saw a promo for a show called Truth Is Stranger Than Florida.

Oooookaaaaaay...

My husband saw that and began scoffing anew about my choice of networks, LOL.

I'm so frustrated right now. I was watching what I think was an episode of Stalked and kept falling asleep and missed the end.

The subject's name was Kristy, and some guy kept calling and calling her. He would know what she was wearing, when she left the house, what she was doing in the house. He disguised his voice with some sort of machine, and he even began calling her at her mother's house on her mother's phone. He would demand to speak to her. People would run outside looking for him and there was never a trace of him. Her boyfriend bought her a dog, Alexis, but one day poor Alexis disappeared. (I knew that was going to happen. Jerk.) The police snuck into her home through the back door hoping to catch him when he called, but he knew they were there. The last part I saw, the police had sent her out to some deserted area hoping to trap him.

Anyone know who this turned out to be? Thanks!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, renatae said:

I'm so frustrated right now. I was watching what I think was an episode of Stalked and kept falling asleep and missed the end.

Google says Kristy Grieco of Troy, NY, was featured on Obsession: Dark Desires, "Carrying a Shotgun," (2013). Her stalker was John Cruickshank: http://www.troyrecord.com/general-news/20051209/man-accused-of-stalking-now-faces-rape-charge

He was stalking at least eight women at the same time and with basically the same fanatical intensity as the 600 phone calls he made to Kristy Grieco in four months' time. 
What is odd, Gordon said, is that the two never met.

Police believe he got her home number after she ordered a pizza at Joey's Pizza where he worked and her cell phone number from a for sale sign on her car.

• Love 1

I can't stop thinking about Cindy Sommer.  I know she was found innocent but something about this case still bothers me.  Was she only guilty of the "wrong" kind of bereavement?   Just what exactly was the cause of husband Todd's death?  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I can't stop thinking about Cindy Sommer.  I know she was found innocent but something about this case still bothers me.  Was she only guilty of the "wrong" kind of bereavement?   Just what exactly was the cause of husband Todd's death?  

He died of a heart defect, which is rare, but that no one considered a possibility in a young and in shape guy. One of the major flaws for the prosecution was how the tissue evidence was processed. Apparently they sent the tissues to a military lab that didn't test human samples. So they could technically run the right tests but lacked knowledge to interpret and consider all possibilities. 

Cindy went to prison because of misread lab results, no one seriously considered natural causes, and she got a boob job. 

• Love 1

Last night's episode of Suspicion on I.D. was pretty riveting about the young Mormon family.  Won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't watched yet, but I recommend it.  Thought I'd mention because there's so little on I.D. worth watching of late, it's always a surprise when I find a show I like.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, auntjess said:

I see that movie Bernie, about the Texas funeral director who killed the old lady, is on one of the movie channels.
It was on one of our shows in the last week or so.

Bernie Tiede was on 48 Hours, "The Mortician, The Murder, The Movie." 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

Last night's episode of Suspicion on I.D. was pretty riveting about the young Mormon family.  Won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't watched yet, but I recommend it.  Thought I'd mention because there's so little on I.D. worth watching of late, it's always a surprise when I find a show I like.

Yes, I just watched that.  I am enjoying this series.  That was actually a pretty famous case, but it was interesting to hear it told from the sister's point of view.

• Love 3

Nightwatch is coming back to A&E on 12/1.  Have you watched it?

It's EMTs, fire, and police in New Orleans.  It's mostly EMTs. 
I think it's a great show, and glad it's back in NO.
There was a probem, so it was iffy.

• Love 1