Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I will miss his narration.  :-(

Ditto, walnutqueen -- I, too, will miss his narration ... and a nod to poster, Josette, who likened his style to Paul Winfield, whose narration I also loved.  Very sad.  Interesting to see what holds (as narrator) for this show's next season.  How 'bout Bill Kurtis?!?  Wouldn't he be great?  My guess is that he's been in demand for so many years, ID would have to pay too huge bucks to get him.  Of course, I could be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it.  GAWD I loved him on American Justice ... the program that got me absolutely HOOKED on "true crime."

• Love 5

On that Ice Cold Killers, we yet again have a door left unlocked, and I again say "thank God, I'm a city girl."

There should be PSAs nationwide on locking doors--homes and cars.

And I don't mean to blame the victim, but people should be more careful.

We live in a small town with a very low crime rate, but it would be unthinkable to NOT lock our doors!

• Love 2

Did anyone see Web of Lies?  Sad story of a good guy killed by some phycho creep.  At first,it seemed that it was the local gang seeking payback for him turning them in. It was a 16 year old boy who had tried luring other young men to their death.  Most of the evidence was from his computer.  Police really thought he was a serial killer in the making.  The family had run a boxing gym trying to help kids in the neighborhood and at least one cop trained there.  So there were many people from law enforcement at his funeral.

During the investigation, the dad was found to have a warrant for an outstanding murder and is now serving time. So sad for the mother and brother left behind.

• Love 5

sleekandchic!! <3 <3

Go look at ID--there's a new show Too Pretty To Live, and who do you think it's about?? ;) Yup, can't believe Jenelle was the mastermind all along!! There's just so many things wrong with that family!

What do you think of the other #killerposts?!?!

My heart broke last week for Seth, he seemed like such a class clown. It seemed he went to Bargo's house for his pride. They really all killed him just for lashing out on Facebook? Seemed that from the moment she was caught cheating, none of them (Her, her step-brother, Bargo) thought they were doing anything wrong. Seth was just so little. :/ :/ Whoever the extra killer chick was, she gave me the creeeps because she was smiling in her mug shot.

Tonight? OMG, where to start?? My heart also broke for Sarah. Now, I know she wasn't an angel, and not completely innocent. However, been researching the case since the episode went off the air. They changed a lot of the story. Dateline--Deadly Rivals--I'm about halfway through, and just want to punch my computer. Almost through it, and they've only interviewed all of Rachel's friends. What the hell made Josh like catnip to so many girls?? 27 years?!!?!??! That's it???

:http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/one-teen-boy-two-teen-girls-and-homicide/1109362

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/dateline/41788360#41787419

edited bc I've been out of English way too long... **flees**

Edited by punkypower

I swear practically every "new" show the last few weeks has been a story already done on other shows. Sometimes it's interesting because they'll put in different details, but most times, it's the same stuff.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 8

Did anyone else watch Badlands, Texas? It follows the murder of Glenn Felts, a prominent and popular resident of Terlingua, population about 60.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/badlands-texas/videos/the-murder-of-glenn-felts/

I was really disappointed in the amount of fake stuff they inserted into this "true" crime series (such as hiring an actor to play a town resident and spout cereal box philosophy) because imo the topic was compelling enough on its own. But mainly I am beyond pissed off over

the verdict and jury (mis)conduct, not to mention the choice to move the trial to a town where they have trouble seating juries in the first place. :(

• Love 2

Exactly, but we watch because we're such addicts...and they suck us in EVERY SINGLE TIME!!

On a twelve-day vacation, and I'm embarrassed at just how much of it I have wasted watching ID....

Oh well, at least I have more to talk about with my favorite PTV posters! <3

• Love 8

I swear practically every "new" show the last few weeks has been a story already done on other shows. Sometimes it's interesting because they'll put in different details, but most times, it's the same stuff.

^^^ This!  My never-ending source of frustration with 20/20, 48 Hours, Dateline, et al.

Oh, and all of a sudden, a couple of ID "First Looks" showed up on my DVR last night:  "See No Evil" and "Serial Thriller".  What's that all about?

• Love 2

Oh, and all of a sudden, a couple of ID "First Looks" showed up on my DVR last night:  "See No Evil" and "Serial Thriller".  What's that all about?

It was a 15 min or so preview of a new show or new season.  I think they did it with Homicide Hunter when that season started.

• Love 2

Yes, I watched that Web of Lies episode, applecrisp.  It was creepy how totally random the victim selection was - basically the perp was ready to kill anyone who replied to his alter ego.  Chilling.

I don't think it was as random as all that.   He posed as a buxom young woman in the hope of attracting young men.    The guy he killed was a muscular young man of his acquaintance (remember, prior to the murder the killer had shown up at the victim's garage gym and acted a bit peculiar).   You don't have to read too far between the lines.  I think the killer had sexual orientation issues.    He kept up an online relationship with the guy for months.   He was probably attracted to him, couldn't deal with it, and killed him in the belief that it would make the feelings go away. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5

Did anyone else watch Badlands, Texas? It follows the murder of Glenn Felts, a prominent and popular resident of Terlingua, population about 60.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/badlands-texas/videos/the-murder-of-glenn-felts/

I was really disappointed in the amount of fake stuff they inserted into this "true" crime series (such as hiring an actor to play a town resident and spout cereal box philosophy) because imo the topic was compelling enough on its own. But mainly I am beyond pissed off over

the verdict and jury (mis)conduct, not to mention the choice to move the trial to a town where they have trouble seating juries in the first place. :(

I liked the series, but was also pissed off at the fakery and the verdict.  Apparently some of the townsfolk didn't take kindly to the scrutiny this series was bringing to their doorstep, and refused to participate in what they saw as the exploitation of a real tragedy.

• Love 3

Last night I wasted 3 hours of my life watching the much-hyped 3-part Serial Thriller.  I fast-forwarded through most of it, so I actually only lost about 40 minutes.  What did you guys think? 

Total unadulterated crap that wasn't even worth the background distraction.  ID needs to stop with this series - each one is worse than the last.

• Love 5

I watched all three parts of this dreck, that's my hometown.  Other than a shot of the boardwalk,  the pier, and hwy 1 and hwy 17, everything was SO generic.  Oh, and the Jury Room, it is a landmark. Lousy acting, terrible dialog, truly a colossal waste of time.

Funny thing was, these three serial killers, Frazier, Mullin and Kemper were all working pretty much the same small patch of earth at the same time.  AND, I was an active hitch-hiker at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME, too!  I could have been a victim in this, and I was SO lucky and I guess God was looking out for this fool, anyway.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 7

Speaking of "hometown" murderers, tonight's episode of Evil Lives Here ("In Love With the Devil") takes place here in Michigan (several hours due west of me).  Turned it off after only NINE MINUTES in when the woman states that while dating her boyfriend, he tells her (in confidence, of course) that he murdered someone.  She just couldn't believe that -- he's such a loving guy!  Then she marries him!  DELETE.  Ya just can't fix stupid.  (Am I a bitch or have I just become totally intolerant in my old age?)

• Love 8

Speaking of "hometown" murderers, tonight's episode of Evil Lives Here ("In Love With the Devil") takes place here in Michigan (several hours due west of me).  Turned it off after only NINE MINUTES in when the woman states that while dating her boyfriend, he tells her (in confidence, of course) that he murdered someone.  She just couldn't believe that -- he's such a loving guy!  Then she marries him!  DELETE.  Ya just can't fix stupid.  (Am I a bitch or have I just become totally intolerant in my old age?)

Not only that, he had beaten up both her brothers in her presence; broke one brother's nose and broke both the other brother's legs!  He attacked his own mother, who threw him out of the house!  And THEN she married him!  Gosh I was astonished at her behavior.  Her little girl (after being beaten with a stick by said Monster Husband) had to be the one to call the police!  Thank God for that little girl.

• Love 5

Not only that, he had beaten up both her brothers in her presence; broke one brother's nose and broke both the other brother's legs!  He attacked his own mother, who threw him out of the house!  And THEN she married him!  Gosh I was astonished at her behavior.  Her little girl (after being beaten with a stick by said Monster Husband) had to be the one to call the police!  Thank God for that little girl.

Thank you, Brattinella, for giving me a re-cap that I'm SO happy I didn't have to waste my time watching!  So do tell -- what's happening in her HER life now?  Did she divorce him?  Did she get married again to another wonderful man? 

I agree about Bernadette. I kept telling myself she was an abused woman and she definitely had the flat affect that goes hand in hand with abuse. But before she even married him, she knew the guy was bad news, even though she says different. I don't know how you just brush off a murder confession. I mean that is some heavy self-delusion there.

The kids deserved to be protected and she didn't step up to the plate. It is hard to reconcile that fact.

• Love 9

Me, apparently - especially when it comes to dumb shows on the I.D. Channel!  BTW, Brattinella, your Boxer doggy is WAY cute!  Is that a cigar you're letting him smoke? Shame, shame!  haha!

Thank you, Maizie!  He was an adorable dog, and I miss him like nothing else.  But:  He isn't smoking a cigar there; he would practically climb into hubby's lap for a lick!  So, we would allow him ONE lick a day.  He loved it!

And I disagree that you are intolerant; this board (mostly) allows us to rant and rave about public personas, I haven't seen ANYONE who is not tolerant.

• Love 3

Last night I wasted 3 hours of my life watching the much-hyped 3-part Serial Thriller. I fast-forwarded through most of it, so I actually only lost about 40 minutes. What did you guys think?

I enjoyed all three Serial Thriller stories: Angel of Decay, The Chameleon, and Head Hunter. They're the true crime version of junk food (or Hallmark movies). Decent production values, and the UK actors do pretty good American accents.

• Love 1

^^ Yes, I also heard many didn't want to participate. But seeing as they had the hotel owner and his family, the garage owner and his employees, Ronda, and the sheriff... how many residents were left? lol

Still smdh at the trial being held in that rundown, sparsely populated town where it is hard to seat a jury (who obvisouly didn't want to be there and couldn't interpret the judge's instructions) when they could have held it somewhere else like Odessa. Bah. BAH.

Btw, Ronda is raising funds to help homeless and sick animals in Terlingua. So that's a good thing. :)

• Love 1

Last night's episode of Real Detective was very difficult to watch, but when I looked further into the case, I was horrified by what they'd omitted from the story.  Do not search Nathaniel Bar-Jonah unless you want to have nightmares ... forever.

• Love 3

Last night's episode of Real Detective was very difficult to watch, but when I looked further into the case, I was horrified by what they'd omitted from the story.  Do not search Nathaniel Bar-Jonah unless you want to have nightmares ... forever.

Crap crap crap!  I missed it again, gonna have to catch it on re-runs.

• Love 2

Has anyone been watching Evil Stepmothers?  Why do I love these type shows.  The first episode had a woman who was truly evil, she even had her stepdaughter call her grandmother (as her mom) sorry a little complicated.  She called this poor woman under duress and said "mom help me."  How awful to receive such a call when you can't help. I really felt for that woman.

The lsat episode,featured Miss Smithy can't remember the first name who was recently on 48 Hours and Dateline. I don't know if not enough time has passed or something but I didn't see her as truly evil.   

• Love 1

On Unusual Suspects, about the cowboy actor killed in Yuma, they left me feeling I must the only person who hadn't heard of him, but when I looked on IMDB, it looks like he was in 2 movies in the 40s.
It doesn't make it any less bad that he was killed, but it made the show puzzling.

• Love 2

Oh, man!  This Dark Obsession show.  I HATE when they have women who act STUPIDLY when their husband is abusing them/stabbing them/stalking them!  Seriously, it makes women look like they don't have a brain in their head!  I would have said "Hey, you don't get to STAB ME!" And then call 911 and have him arrested.  These women always don't wanna rock the boat, make their monster husband MADDER or something.  I really don't blame these poor ladies, but DAMN!  Does it really take getting set on fire to get you to take it seriously?

• Love 2
(edited)

^^  "Burning Love"

Her  ex-husband  is a true psycho maniac. Thank GOD her co-workers knew how to use a fire extinguisher. He walked into her work and threw some sort of chemical all over her. When she ran out of the building, trying to get into her car. He stomped her and then threw a lit book of matches on her,

Her co-workers were able to put the fire out before she was burned to terribly bad.

THEN HE STOOD THERE AND WATCHED HER BURN!!!!!!!

When he was trying to get her back, she told him that she just wanted to move on with her life and take care of her. He said "your daughter is the problem, don't you know that ?"  Some scenes later they show the daughter (8 yrs old) walking don't the street by herself. After all the psych things this guy did and even telling her the thought the daughter was a problem, she let the daughter walk by herself.

I find that really hard to believe.

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 3

stillhere1900

After all the psych things this guy did and even telling the the thought the daughter was a problem, she let the daughter walk by herself.

She bought an alarm system (Good, but the police didn't respond correctly; they said it was 'kids'

She didn't buy a gun.

She didn't buy a dog or 3.

She didn't warn her daughter of the danger of seeing the psycho on the street.

She just stood there and helped customers while her SEETHING husband is standing there with a bottle of gasoline in her office!  GAH!  This attitude, I just don't understand it.  Where does it come from?  I had two instances of having an abusive relationship.  After the FIRST incident, it was over.  No second chances, No phone calls, nothing.  It hurts my heart that women don't stand up for themselves.

• Love 3
(edited)

He constantly called her, and followed her everywhere she went. When she was at her Aunt's house, she said that since the family was so big, and everyone came over there, they would just leave the screen door unlocked.

WHAT?!    You have a psych maniac stalking your ever move yet you feel comfortable sitting a house with the doors unlocked ?

I know it's suppose to be a true crime story but I wonder if  the producers take a 'creative license' to make the stories more interesting ?

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 4
(edited)

She didn't know the bottle held gasoline.   It was a Sprite bottle, so I think the green color masked the contents.   I've seen her on some other show(s).  The start of the attack was caught on camera.

Sometimes, I am also less tolerant of victims these days. The season finale of Evil Lives Here annoyed me.  If my husband had a shed, I'd be snooping in it.  Or I'd at least go into it and not just tell myself it was his man cave. 

And I have seen so many crime shows, that it just irritates me to see so many people making the same mistakes.  When I was watching the premiere of See No Evil, I saw what I thought was an opportunity for the victim to escape, and I was upset she didn't take it.  And I feel guilty about that.  I know some people just shut down, go into shock, etc.

On Unusual Suspects, about the cowboy actor killed in Yuma, they left me feeling I must the only person who hadn't heard of him

Yeah. I also looked him up. Craig Lawrence.  I really doubt John Wayne was worried (per the niece).  They went overboard with that for some reason.

Edited by Josette
  • Love 4

Yeah. I also looked him up. Craig Lawrence.  I really doubt John Wayne was worried (per the niece).  They went overboard with that for some reason.

Wow.  Nine roles in B Westerns - and seven of them uncredited!   He was a working actor, which is an accomplishment, but not exactly a B Western star.  (And I LOVE B Westerns, don't get me wrong.)

• Love 2