Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Makes The News!

11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I definitely think a title can hurt a show.  I've heard Terriers mentioned as well.  

Terriers is a good example, but a slightly different phenomenon. The title wasn't inherently offensive or off-putting; it was just incredibly unrelated to anything in this scruffy-detective-buddy drama. There were no terriers to be seen at any time; nobody even compared the scrappy, tenacious duo to terriers. Too bad; it was a nice little single season, and it makes very pleasant binge-watching on Netflix (it even comes to a decent conclusion). I recommend it.

Isn't Buffy The Vampire Slayer the ultimate example?

I remember a quote from Joss Whedon, about people who refused to watch the show just because of the name--that he was fine with "letting those people go". 

(I wasn't a TV viewer in the 90s, being a newly minted internet nerd. I thought BTVS must be some mindless tripe, based on the name. Then I saw an episode. Now I know better than to make snap judgements.)

3 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I remember a quote from Joss Whedon, about people who refused to watch the show just because of the name--that he was fine with "letting those people go". 

I think that's the right attitude, honestly. You can't have a problematic (for lack of a better word) title and then get upset when people are turned off by it. Especially if it's your title—i.e., not something a network forced on you.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure a friend of a friend mentioned it when it premiered, but I heard the title, and CW, and took a hard pass. It was only when someone I trust a lot more made the rec that we started watching. Granted, that may have been more network than title, but the title definitely didn't entice me to watch. 

Another show title: "Californication". NO THANK YOU.  Duchovny, California, and f*cking. I needed a shower just reading the title on the subway posters.

Subsequently, long after the show was on the air, I read things that suggested there were actual characterizations and relationships on this show, but it was too late.

With Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, I figured it wasn't anti-feminist, but I DID assume it was whimsical and quirky, a couple of things I really hate.

Edited by DianeDobbler
1 minute ago, DianeDobbler said:

Another show title: "Californication". NO THANK YOU.  Duchovny, California, and f*cking. I needed a shower just reading the title on the subway posters.

Subsequently, long after the show was on the air, I read things that suggested there were actual characterizations and relationships on this show, but it was too late.

With Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, I figured it wasn't anti-feminist, but I DID assume it was whimsical and quirky, a couple of things I really hate.

Eh, only maybe for one or two seasons out of a beaten to death number of seasons. It was mostly Duchovny, California and fucking, with some alcoholism thrown in for good measure.

• Love 1

I think the CW has become a really smart network since Mark Pedowitz took over, not only giving their producers more creative freedom, but also trying to target a broader range of viewers, while still maintaining a young and vibrant brand.

But wouldn't a broader range of viewers be of more interest to a 'young and vibrant' brand?

And don't forget, the viewers are not the market for the show, they are the product being sold to advertisers. Pay attention to who is advertising on a show to get an idea of who the viewers are.

I bet you never see a Buick or Lincoln ad. You might see a --umm I don't know cars-- Volkswagen Beetle? Or tampons, energy drinks, yogurt. But not new diabetes medications or Depends.

One you get to Netflix and its like, the producers are selling directly to the viewer. And surprise! Those are the more edgy shows. Do you think Frankie and Grace or Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt could make it on broadcast/commercial TV?

• Love 1

'Aline Brosh McKenna Inks Overall Deal With CBS TV Studios':

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend co-creator/executive producer Aline Brosh McKenna has signed a two-year overall deal with CBS Television Studios, the studio behind the praised CW musical comedy series. Under the pact, she’ll develop new projects for network and cable through her production company Lean Machine.

McKenna is showrunner on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which she co-created and executive produces with the series’ Golden Globe-winning star, Rachel Bloom. The series already has been renewed for next season, and McKenna and Bloom are at work on the third installment, eyed for next fall.

McKenna is one of the highest-grossing female screenwriters of all time with a combined boxoffice total of over $850 million worldwide for films such as 27 Dresses, Annie and The Devil Wears Prada. In addition to her work in film and television, McKenna is the author of the upcoming graphic novel, Jane, a contemporary version of the Jane Eyre story which will be published this fall by BOOM! Studios. She is repped by CAA.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/crazy-ex-girlfriend-co-creator-aline-brosh-mckenna-first-look-deal-cbs-tv-studios-1202044019/

Ooh, I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for that Jane Eyre graphic novel!

There was an Emmy For Your Consideration panel with the cast last night and they did a LOT of musical numbers (Shitshow, We Have Struggled, Maybe This Time, Ping Pong Girl, Tell Me I'm OK Patrick, and best of all Friendtopia with David Hull stepping in for Vella Lovell's part. Check out Jarrett Weiselman's twitter stream for highlights. They also announced that David Hull and Scott Michael Foster will be regulars for next season. 

• Love 2

I'm happy that David Hull has worked his way up to regular.  It's not the biggest part but I often like things he does in his screen time.

Less thrilled about Scott Michael Foster who I always want to like more than I do going all the way back to Greek.  And Nathaniel didn't do much for me.

• Love 3
(edited)

CBS has posted close-up full versions of all the songs they did at the FYC panel:

It was a Shitshow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yGN1K8QZfc

Remember that We Suffered 

Maybe This Dream

Tell Me I’m Ok, Patrick  

You’re My Best Friend (and I Know I’m Not Yours)  

Ping Pong Girl  

Let’s Have Intercourse  

Friendtopia 

This is also an interesting clip where they discuss a specific editing choice they made with regards to a key Greg scene. 

Edited by taragel
  • Love 6

From the press release about next season (I don't think it gives any new info):

FRIDAY

8:00-9:00 PM CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND (@CW_CrazyXGF #CrazyExGirlfriend)

When last we left our intrepid and at least slightly nutty heroine, Rebecca Bunch (Rachel Bloom), she was at her wedding, abandoned at the altar by her obsession, Josh Chan (Vincent Rodriguez III). In that moment, Rebecca found herself in a cliffhanger. Literally, because she, like, almost flung herself off a cliff. Instead, she found an unexpected well of strength inside herself and finally stood up to her abandoning father, flanked by her fierce girl squad. Phew. It was QUITE the wedding. So, what's a girl to do now? Why, get revenge of course. Because Josh Chan, love of her life? He's crossed over to the dark side -- ergo, he must die, unless of course he sees the error of his ways and realizes he and Rebecca are meant to be. But will he? It might be a bit tough to figure out, since he ran off the day of the wedding to be a priest. (Did we mention it was QUITE the wedding?)

There's also the matter of Rebecca's friends and how far they will follow her attraction now that it's turned possibly just a touch fatal. Paula (Donna Lynne Champlin), now in training to be a legal eagle, has to decide how far to walk the gangplank for her cookie, Rebecca. Meanwhile, Valencia (Gabrielle Ruiz) and Heather (Vella Lovell) will be facing giant obstacles and challenges in their personal lives. Hey, it's not like anyone in West Covina ever gets to just be happy. In season three, we will also spend more time with a new man in Rebecca's orbit, mega WASP Nathaniel Plimpton III (Scott Michael Foster), who will collide with her like a very handsome meteor. He may seem all alpha on the outside, but has his own daddy issues to work out. See above, no one in the Cov gets to just be happy right away. In OTHER WeCo news, supercouple White Josh (David Hull) and Darryl (Pete Gardner) will be challenged by Darryl's baby fever. Will Darryl give up his yen for a baby Darryl or Darrylette? And how will Rebecca be entangled in their plans? And what about Rebecca's mental health? Will she finally turn her attention to the fuel for her romantic fire? This and more, accompanied by a bejillion songs and dances, coming up next on season three of CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND.

From CBS Television Studios and Warner Bros. Television, CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND is executive produced by Rachel Bloom, along with Aline Brosh McKenna ("The Devil Wears Prada"), Marc Webb ("500 Days of Summer," "The Amazing Spider-Man" films), Erin Ehrlich ("Awkward"), Michael Hitchcock ("Glee") and Sarah Caplan ("Ray Donovan").

• Love 1

Valencia and Heather are facing new challenges and obstacles in their personal lives! I think this is new info, because it sounds like they're getting their own storylines?

I think this will be expansions of storylines we've already seen - Valencia had only come to grips with the fact that she didn't know what to do with her life now that she wasn't with Josh (having planned her whole future with him) and Heather having moved out of her parents' house and coming to grips with the fact that she never succeeded at anything because she gave up when things got tough.  I would, however, be thrilled to have more Heather (especially if she gets a song or two!)

• Love 2
On 5/18/2017 at 11:20 PM, Trini said:

From the press release about next season (I don't think it gives any new info):

In OTHER WeCo news, supercouple White Josh (David Hull) and Darryl (Pete Gardner) will be challenged by Darryl's baby fever. Will Darryl give up his yen for a baby Darryl or Darrylette? And how will Rebecca be entangled in their plans?

Hah, that's interesting!  Last season I couldn't shake the feeling that someone was going to end up pregnant and give them the baby, only I thought it would be Paula when she got pregnant.

So, what's a girl to do now? Why, get revenge of course. Because Josh Chan, love of her life? He's crossed over to the dark side -- ergo, he must die, unless of course he sees the error of his ways and realizes he and Rebecca are meant to be. But will he?

That seems to be new. The finale didn't leave me the impression that Rebecca would want to get back together with Josh at this point, just that she would now devote herself to crushing him with the same feverish intensity she used to have in crushing on him.

4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

That seems to be new. The finale didn't leave me the impression that Rebecca would want to get back together with Josh at this point, just that she would now devote herself to crushing him with the same feverish intensity she used to have in crushing on him.

As I read interviews with Brosh-McKenna, it would be both. She said they always intended Rebecca to literally become the crazy ex-girlfriend with Josh, but that it would also be punctuated by things like her going "Oh, he liked my instagram!" and how does she keep up the hate? I took it to mean that Rachel would be determined to get her revenge / ruin his life, but would also be susceptible and determined to override her susceptibility. And as usual, her friends would be both supportive and appalled by her extremes.

My assumption is she and SMF's character will hook up or have a familiar love / hate + sex dynamic while she's seeking revenge on Josh. I'm actually kind of hoping they can do something w/him and Valencia. I think they'd work.

I don't think there are any actual spoilers in this answer, so I'm posting it here (it's from a spoiler article, though):

Series co-creator and star Rachel Bloom put it this way when we asked her about Greg (played by Santino Fontana): “Here’s what I’ll say: If we were bringing him back, I wouldn’t tell you. But we love him, he’s wonderful, he’s amazing and we miss him. On the other hand, I’m very happy Greg is away for what’s going down this [coming] season. The things Rebecca does, in many ways, she couldn’t do if Greg was there, since he was sort of her moral compass.”

• Love 1

Short interview with Aline Brosh McKenna, (video):

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend co-creator Aline Brosh McKenna’s appearance at Deadline’s annual The Contenders Emmys event turned into a masterclass in crazy-exes, as she detailed how the evolution of romantic obsession creates the structure of the hybrid musical dramedy that’s now heading into its third season on the CW.

Article and photoshoot with Rachel Bloom for CBS Watch magazine:

From the online version:

"I would say the show is an emotional biography," Bloom says. "I would not outwardly stalk people, but I was boy crazy from a young age." And the anger always millimeters from the surface? "I mean, sometimes you're like, 'Well, I want to throw hot coffee in someone's face and they f*cking deserve it.' But for me there was too much self-control and self-awareness."

But her fame has done little to quell the nagging anxieties that have dogged her life, which may be just as well since they fuel her comedy. "I still have all those insecurities, that I am somehow 'lesser than' as a woman—I don't understand fashion, I don't know how to decorate a house." But wouldn't you love to visit the home of a woman who, when asked what her "dream piece" for her home would be, replies: "A tortoise. That’s my dream pet"? And the perfect piece of art for her house? "A photograph of me crowning out of my mother’s vagina. Wouldn’t that be crazy to own that?!"

Season 3? Bloom will allow only that there are going to be some shocking surprises in the life of the West Covina denizens. There are lots of different musical genres she wants to hit, starting, alarmingly, with ABBA—and she and co-writer Brosh McKenna plan to deepen the show's examination of romantic obsession. "Romantic comedies tend to look at love as this sacred thing," Bloom says. "I'm proud that we look at it more scientifically. It can be a pathology. It can be a way of avoiding your life."

As Rebecca Bunch evolves, so does the other RB, Rachel Bloom. It's not so much a question of shedding all neuroses in some false quest for happiness as much as "learning to embrace all aspects of myself. I used to think there was a kind of girl who likes sci-fi and one who likes makeup. Why can't I be both? Being a feminist, being a humanist, is all about embracing and accepting the contradictions in ourselves."

• Love 1

Article featuring Emmy-award winner Kathryn Burns: "Me and My Emmy:"

Fave Rave: “On Ex-Girlfriend I have a soft spot for the dance number ‘I’m So Good at Yoga.’ Not only does Rebecca [Rachel Bloom] embody how I feel in yoga class, but I got to create a fantastical number with ten amazing dancers and choreograph nutty moves to match lyrics like, ‘I do things with my body that no human should be able to do.’” ...

Emmy Memory: “My mom wouldn’t stop hugging me. I knew I had only a short time for my speech, so I said, ‘Mom, I gotta go up there.’ Then my dad said, ‘You go, girl!’ I ran up the stairs, three-inch heels and all. I could hear my friends, coworkers and family cheering for me. That was the most memorable part, to share the magical evening with loved ones.”

Another short Burns interview:

Speaking of which, you and the cast are not averse to some pretty risqué numbers.
You can get away with anything dirty if it's in the form of a song. If people are dancing and singing, no one cares.

You must have an intense rehearsal schedule.
Our production is so minimal, we barely rehearse! I don't mean this to sound stalker-y, but I've been studying Rachel for so long that I know how her body moves and what choreography she can grab on to.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/watch_magazine/archive/1007307/crazy-ex-girlfriend-s-choreographer-kathryn-burns-has-all-the-right-moves/

Too bad the Emmys don't have song performances, because I'd love to see that broadcast on an awards ceremony. But I'll settle for it winning its category and forcing the presenters to say, "And the Emmy goes to...'We Tapped That Ass'!"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

But I'll settle for it...

A phrase that inevitably recalls the song from this series that should have won an Emmy a year ago!

Alas, the music Emmys aren't given out during the televised portion in any case.... 

• Love 2

Emmy Magazine article about the songwriting process on the show:

“I thought, ‘We did it for the pilot — we’ll just keep doing it every week,’” says McKenna, co-creator, executive producer, writer and showrunner. Since then, the CW series has had two or three original songs per episode — a feat few showrunners would attempt.

“I didn’t realize it couldn’t be done,” she says in retrospect. “But we’re doing it.”

After two seasons, McKenna and her team have it down to a science.

Planning ahead is essential, to give the songwriters — Rachel Bloom (co-creator, executive producer, writer and star), Adam Schlesinger (executive music producer) and Jack Dolgen (writer and coproducer) — a chance to stockpile songs.

“We’ve done 82 songs in the first two seasons — that has not been done on television before,” says Bloom, who plays the lovesick Rebecca. “That could not happen without Adam and Jack. They’re both such amazing songwriters.

http://www.emmys.com/news/mix/they-write-songs

Season 2 available on DVD, on demand:

Today, the Warner Archive Collection announced that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - The Complete 2nd Season is coming to DVD on October 17th, as a manufacture on demand (MOD) title. The cost will be $29.99 SRP, and you can pre-order it from the studio's WBshop.com online store. Here's a button link to that listing, followed by a look at the cover art:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Crazy-Ex-Girlfriend-Season-2/23677

Edited by Trini