Type keyword(s) to search

Season 11 Anticipation More Stabs, etc...

• Start Topic

The other thing is about Aisha Tyler- I'll reserve my judgement until I see the character in action, but the idea of her introduction leaves me unsettled. Erica Messer is horrible at creating characters and understanding characterization, so I'm worried that Tyler's character will just wind up arriving on the scene and “having all the answers” while the rest of the team bows in her presence. Hopefully I'm wrong but considering that was how Blake was introduced, it doesn't leave me much hope.

Well, now, let's be fair, Daniel. Part of Alex's backstory was that she'd been a member of the BAU before, but was demoted. Hell, Rossi came out of a however-long retirement, and while he stopped being the lone wolf writing things down in a little notebook, for a bit there he was quite the jerk. How much has been revealed about Tyler's character, as in, What's her background/whatever other than that she's a doctor?

• Love 1

With Kate, they didn't shove her up in our faces every week, either. We were allowed to get to know her much more organically, slowly, even though she was only there for a season. I have a big feeling she'll be back, too. I'm sure we'll see Prentiss at some point, even though they're trying to downplay that. I'd welcome Jordan again, and I'd be insanely happy to see Elle. No Seaver, please. None. Nada.

I don't see Tara coming onto the team as a 'superwoman'. I can easily see her contributing quite a bit, or Hotch wouldn't have picked her. New agents don't need to hang in the background all the time, just to be accepted by the fandom. I'm looking forward to her contributions.

• Love 1

Well, now, let's be fair, Daniel. Part of Alex's backstory was that she'd been a member of the BAU before, but was demoted. Hell, Rossi came out of a however-long retirement, and while he stopped being the lone wolf writing things down in a little notebook, for a bit there he was quite the jerk. How much has been revealed about Tyler's character, as in, What's her background/whatever other than that she's a doctor?

I've always thought Blake and Strauss (and Curtis) worked together in another branch of the FBI. When Blake spoke about 'working her way back', I thought it was more in the context of 'back up the ladder' after her demotion. I never took it to mean she'd been in the BAU before. Was there some other exposition about it that was more direct or specific?
  • Love 3

I tried to post this earlier but my ISP was being a failbot.
I think someone being accepted right away can happen in a workplace if the person has the right personality. They might click more with some than with others. I'm ok with Aisha's character being liked when she comes in, but I think trust does have to be earned. It's not that I think they shouldn't trust her, but I don't think they should be instantly best friends- but they could still like her and have a comaradarie-- but not intimate closeness of people who have known each other for years. And I would like to see her having to learn how things work with the team and the rest of the team being gentle about it. Like maybe a moment where she asks "Is he/she always like this?" and the team members can say they'll explain more over dinner or on the flight home or something.

• Love 4

I've always thought Blake and Strauss (and Curtis) worked together in another branch of the FBI. When Blake spoke about 'working her way back', I thought it was more in the context of 'back up the ladder' after her demotion. I never took it to mean she'd been in the BAU before. Was there some other exposition about it that was more direct or specific?

Well, when we first met Strauss, it was way back in The Evilution of Frank, and at that point she was already Hotch's superior, because she was questioning him about what had happened that led up to Frank and Jane leaping in front of that train. And then later in Doubt, she was the one who asked for Aaron's credentials, before Gideon left. So she had already worked her way up the ladder to some extent, or else she wouldn't have been so set on taking away Hotch's badge. When Alex first showed up, she said that the Amertithrax thing was the highest profile case they'd worked all year, and that all eyes were on her. I presumed that when she said it, she meant that when she screwed up with the error in translation, she was a fairly young agent that they decided to make an example of, because she told Strauss that it took a decade for her career to recover. How John Curtis got caught up in the whole snafu is still unclear.

Anyway, the only point I was trying to make is that I don't even know what kind of doctor Tyler's character will be. I'm presuming she's a medical doctor, but that could be incorrect. IMO, if Blake had been with the BAU before as Rossi had, it would have made a bit more sense for her opinions to carry more weight than the average newb (looking at you, Seaver). Although really, considering how quickly Alex was pushed into the background in favor of certain other characters, I'm not sure the others "bowing" to Tara Lewis is even going to be an issue. But mileage will vary.

Well, I agree with your sentiment, but the reason the show is called Criminal Minds is because of the... criminal's minds... not Reid's. 

Even though I'd watch a whole series just about him, I would. Oh, I would. 

(well, Hotch should be there too. Reid and Hotch! But not like THAT that... just Reid and Hotch. Spinoff!)

But the emphasis was on the profilers getting into the criminals' minds. Now the emphasis seems to be on the actions of the unsubs more than their thought process and too often (IMO) the writers try to drum up silly reasons for the unsubs' behavior or try to elicit pity for them. 

• Love 3

I liked the way Emily was introduced - able to offer something unique to the team when she reads/speaks Arabic, which is a totally logical skill for her to have that the rest of them don't, and yet she still doesn't quite fit in at first and needs (and wants) to prove herself to the rest of the team, which she does over time.

However, I do suspect that you're absolutely correct and the new character will appear flawless and be readily welcomed as part of the "family". I'd rather she wasn't, but oh well. I think I'm inclined not to be too invested in her, knowing that she won't be sticking around, so even if all of my worst fears about her character end up to be true, I probably won't be too upset.

Yes, Emily proved her value right away, but she tried only to contribute and fit in. She was always respectful of authority (except for Strauss) and eager to learn. She questioned Gideon to learn, not to second guess him. I want to say that the writers failed with more recent additions to the team because they tried to cram them down our throats as being so perfect and wonderful, but in retrospect I think the same could be said for Prentiss. But the writing has deteriorated so much past season 5 that I think we seize on these things to find fault with the new characters. I actually liked Blake and Callahan, but there was so much hate for them among the viewers. I dislike being called a hater for not liking a person or idea, but in this case it does seem appropriate. The kind of comments I read about these characters was pretty ugly. If the quality of the scripts were better, we would be engrossed in the episodes and not nitpick about the new team members or how much time JJ and Morgan get, etc. I know I'll watch this season, but I'll be watching out of habit. Been doing it for so long I feel the need to stick it out to the bitter end, but I sure wish I could feel the same excitement and eager anticipation I used to feel for a new episode. 

• Love 5

But the emphasis was on the profilers getting into the criminals' minds. Now the emphasis seems to be on the actions of the unsubs more than their thought process and too often (IMO) the writers try to drum up silly reasons for the unsubs' behavior or try to elicit pity for them. 

Right. It went from a more cerebral, analytic drama to an action drama. The shift was made... back in season 5 or 6? And it seems to me like they are focusing more on the personal stories of the team than ever before. Joe Mantegna said in a recent interview that he feels the fans deserve to go home with the team (his words), after hanging in there this long. I agree with him. Matthew, when he does talk about the show, expresses interest in more personal stories for Reid. As far as the unsubs go, I think there's kind of a 50/50 happening now. I remember one that Sharon wrote (not the awesome airplane one - The Caller, I think?), that addressed so many complaints the fans were having like showing the unsub too soon and JJ not being liaison or working with the families any more. If I remember, they brought the actual unsub out of left field at the end and we hadn't even seen him before! That was a cool twist. 

I'd be interested in seeing some of the treatments of scripts that actually haven't been made. Like for whatever reason have been thrown on the scrap pile. The deleted elevator scenes from the Forever People prove that sometimes what is left out can actually be better than what we got. I wonder how many gems over the years were just deleted, never to be seen. 

• Love 4

It went from a more cerebral, analytic drama to an action drama.

I would not object to having some focus on the personal lives of the team if only the show would return to the cerebral, analytic drama it once was. I began watching the show because of its focus on the psychology of serial killers and how the profilers could use their knowledge (or at least educated guesses) to figure out what was driving the crimes. As noted, that focus has largely disappeared, to be replaced by action sequences.

I'd like to see the show focus more on the team, with each team member using the specialized skills he/she brings to the table to solve the case. My ideal would be to have most of the upcoming season use the entire team for most episodes, with no one team member being featured a disproportionate amount of time. In terms of personal lives, as long as they distribute those story lines evenly, that would be fine. What I don't want is to have one or two select team members solve every case, with the rest of the cast serving essentially as props who have been dumbed down to make the featured team members look better.

• Love 3

1. I hope that they will address the events from "Mr. Scratch".

2. More Spencer.

3. More profiling.

4. Stop showing the unsub's action alongside of the investigation so often and so much.

5. Also, maybe bring Dorian Locker back. Or at least that Einstein girl from "Hero Worship". Even if you are not planning to make either of them a friend/love interest for Reid!

6. It would be interesting to see Kate Micucci or Kristen Bell cast as an unsub.

7. More episodes based on real life cases-Charlie Brandt and Wesley Miller could be interesting ones.

8. If Beth isn't coming back, I'd like to see Aaron end up with Jessica.

9. Unless it turns out to be really awesome, make season eleven be the last.

I am also glad that Kate Callahan won't be coming back for season eleven. She had some good scenes but didn't really fit. She is my least favorite female lead after Elle.

I've heard that they will not bring another female lead in right away but have several guest stars before casting the character permanently. I think that is good.

I've actually written the way I see season eleven premiere happening

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/11424655/1/Fall

Edited by Mislav
  • Love 4

8. If Beth isn't coming back, I'd like to see Aaron end up with Jessica.

Sister-in-law Jessica? No no no. Absolutely gross. No. A great familial relationship - sure. Anything else - twisted. And unecessary - I'd rather a story about their effective co-parenting at this point but anything romantic - NOPE

• Love 7

I'm not going to lie, I find that more appealing than most popular ships. I'd take some Jessica&Hotch over Reid/Morgan anyday.

Mislav, I need to know, how did you start shipping that?

I can't exactly pinpoint an exact moment, I think after "A Place at the Table".

Sister-in-law Jessica? No no no. Absolutely gross. No. A great familial relationship - sure. Anything else - twisted. And unecessary - I'd rather a story about their effective co-parenting at this point but anything romantic - NOPE

Absolutely agree with you, it's gross, I'm going to make things simpler, what about Jessica? that man used to sleep with her sister, I don't care how lonely they both feel, they can buy a dog for all I care!

I love your point about their friendship and coparenting. There are great possibilities there, it would be great if Hotch gave her some encouragement to improve her work-life even her romantic-life, Hotch may be lonely but at least he loves his job. Her father is going to need permanent care soon and Jack will be more independent too, it's a good time for a change in her life.

I just hope they don't turn Jessica in another old crap soap storyline just like they did with Sean or  the unnamed lost daughter :S

Edited by smoker
  • Love 4

I'm not going to lie, I find that more appealing than most popular ships. I'd take some Jessica&Hotch over Reid/Morgan anyday.

I don't find it an either/or. I don't like either ships - and no to upset anyone - but I don't get Morgan/Reid.

I just don't see or would understand a relationship with Hotch and the sister of the wife killed by a serial killer he was hunting. Just nope.

In Season 11 I would like to see a return to the old-style CM. More focus on the work, less shootings and much less personal crap. Particularly romantic stories because they have never done them well.

• Love 8

In Season 11 I would like to see a return to the old-style CM. More focus on the work, less shootings and much less personal crap. Particularly romantic stories because they have never done them well.

A big YES to all of this,

• Love 4

I always like the way they did the JJ/Will romance. They flirted with each other, then a year later we find out they've been dating.

I only mind romance when it becomes involved in the case. Mind you that goes for every show. No-one would be allowed near a case involving their significant other. Possibly the only exception to this is Foyet, because they were on the case when Hayley was taken.

• Love 1

A matter of taste I'd say.

It's the only Criminal Minds ship that I enjoy so far and the only one I can actually see happening.

I always like the way they did the JJ/Will romance. They flirted with each other, then a year later we find out they've been dating.

I only mind romance when it becomes involved in the case. Mind you that goes for every show. No-one would be allowed near a case involving their significant other. Possibly the only exception to this is Foyet, because they were on the case when Hayley was taken.

Well, that was an accident.

Jones happened. And it should have been the end of that story, but the actress got pregnant in real life and Bernero and Co. decided that the best option they had was to bring Will back, which they did as soon as AJ Cook started showing her pregnancy and using a lot of loose fit clothes.

She looked great back in those days.

But if not for AJ Cook son, Will would doubly be in the picture nowadays.

• Love 5

So are we actually getting a “season long arc” or a “series of scenes that will refer to a finale where the entire case is resolved in 45 minutes and the stuff we saw before matters little”?

Also...hitmen? I guess at some point you gotta try new things but the idea doesn't seem to fit with the show at all.

• Love 6

well, there is an episode in Life where a hitwoman murders other hitmen so I guess that made her a serial killer and it's a she which is great for us!

they just need pay them for the rights and kill two birds with one stone haha

by the way, everything happened in one episode and was really entertaining xD

Edited by smoker

Just seen TV Line's spoilers for Season 11

http://tvline.com/gallery/fall-tv-2015-season-premiere-spoilers/#!10/the-job/

Looks like plenty of personal crap to come SparedTurkey! Also Messer is having another crack at a season long arc - maybe one day she will succeed! Interesting that they are using Matthew so much to promote the show this year.

So Matthew (and his easy-going nature) can be exploited, oops, I mean utilized to promote the show. But they can't give his character a decent story line both professionally and personally?

• Love 4

I don't find it an either/or. I don't like either ships - and no to upset anyone - but I don't get Morgan/Reid.

I just don't see or would understand a relationship with Hotch and the sister of the wife killed by a serial killer he was hunting. Just nope.

Oh, SparedTurkey, from you mouth to EM's non-listening ears. I want my original recipe CM, too. I love the focus on the work, the process the BAU used in solving the cases that relied more on brains than brawn and bullets. I want to see more of the individual know-how and expertise each member brought to their roles as members of the BAU.

And yes, less focus on the personal crap. I hate that soapy stuff. And you're right when it comes to the romantic stories, don't go there. It's just not handled very well. I'll leave that to fan fiction.

• Love 6

ITA that they should leave romance for the soaps. Except they haven't done this. Everyone else has something/someone in their lives except Reid. So it's only fair, I think, that they address that for him as well.

• Love 3

ITA that they should leave romance for the soaps. Except they haven't done this. Everyone else has something/someone in their lives except Reid. So it's only fair, I think, that they address that for him as well.

Yes, to this, too. Overtly romantic stuff can be tedious, and when that stuff gets soapy, I just want to chuck a ballet flat at my TV. But just some allusion to Reid having a social life beyond the BAU. Let us know he can cut loose, have some fun. Maybe he belongs to a chess club or a book discussion group. Maybe he's mentoring young geniuses. Maybe he's having fun with his friends binge watching Dr. Who. And yes, they can also allude that he does go out on a date every now and then. Reid is not an unfeeling robot who goes home, and turns off his on switch.

• Love 5

I think they've done that with Reid. We saw him playing chess with kids, he went to a comic con type event with Garcia, he obviously spends time with Henry.

I don't mind them showing him not dating. The last person he dated took a bullet to the head, that would make anyone a little gun shy. (Pun not intended).

• Love 1

I can't even start talking about the train wreck that was Zugzwang...

But I don't agree that they've give Reid anything to focus on outside the BAU. We've seen Garcia go on far more dates than Reid has. We have Morgan in a whole relationship. Hotch has had a wife, a girlfriend, and he has a son we see frequently. Rossi is suddenly a father and a grandfather, with more promised focus on that in S11. JJ very clearly has a homelife -- and I'm not in agreement necessarily that Reid "obviously" spends time with Henry. I am also straining to remember the last time we saw Reid playing chess in the park.

The emphasis has not had balance, IMHO.

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 4

I can't even start talking about the train wreck that was Zugzwang...

But I don't agree that they've give Reid anything to focus on outside the BAU. We've seen Garcia go on far more dates than Reid has. We have Morgan in a whole relationship. Hotch has had a wife, a girlfriend, and he has a son we see frequently. Rossi is suddenly a father and a grandfather, with more promised focus on that in S11. JJ very clearly has a homelife -- and I'm not in agreement necessarily that Reid "obviously" spends time with Henry. I am also straining to remember the last time we saw Reid playing chess in the park.

The emphasis has not had balance, IMHO.

Zugzwang just pisses me off. I refuse to watch it.

You're right, Droogs. There hasn't been a balance, which is such a shame because Reid is a character that is rife for so much more what he is given to do both with the BAU and outside its confines.

And no, I can't remember the last time we saw him playing chess with some friends in the park...or hanging at a coffee shop...or going to ComicCon...or worrying about his mom....

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 3

But it's not The Reid Show, we don't need to see everything that goes on in his life in major detail.

No we don't indeed - but we DO need to see him get at least the same focus as the rest of the cast and sensible character development to boot.

Edited by Old Dog
  • Love 7

No we don't indeed - but we DO need to see him get at least the same focus as the rest of the cast and sensible character development to boot.

Couldn't agree more. He was an integral part of solving cases and the show's storylines during first half of the series and now he's set dressing.

• Love 6

Last time we saw him playing chess with friends (and frankly the only time we have seen that he has friends outside of the BAU)- season five "The Uncanny Valley"

Last time we saw him at a Comic Con event (or at least trying to attend, before being forced to leave early and then being insulted by Penelope)- season seven "Hit"

I too have my serious doubts about how much time Reid spends with Henry, just because he had never babysat Henry before season seven "Family Affair", and no idea if he has done that since then.

Other than that, we are definitely left with the impression Reid spends most of his time outside of work alone. Yeah, he occasionally hangs out with the team during social occasions, but there is nothing to think he goes on dates. Granted, many people live their lives basically alone, with few outside social occasions and few to no dates. And the show definitely wants us to think Reid is one of those people. Remember this is the same Reid we are supposed to think is relatively unattractive and definitely unfit (which Matthew is definitely not). So it is not a stretch that we are to assume that Reid just doesn't have many people in his life. And in that, he is not the only one like that in the world. 

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 6

But it's not The Reid Show, we don't need to see everything that goes on in his life in major detail.

Well it is not suppose to be the "JJ/Morgan show featuring Garcia" either, but that is exactly what it has felt like these last couple of seasons for some of us.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 6

No, I don't think the idea of Reid living his life alone a bad thing, as long as he is content. Especially since he likely does a fair amount of things on his own, and isn't just sitting at home feeling sorry for himself.  And for the most part, he probably is, outside of a desire for a romantic coupling. I do think he would like to experience that in life, but probably is not comfortable trying to make that happen. The thing with Maeve just sort of evolved and happened, and I don't he has any experience actually approaching someone for a date. 

• Love 4

If Reid does get another girlfriend, I hope there will be none of this cloak and dagger BS like there was between him and Maeve. When the *bleepity-bleep-bleep* is MESSer going to finally realize that what worked for Alias isn't necessarily going to work for Criminal Minds.

• Love 4

Well, except for the Dorian girl. He asked her to go out for coffee. 

I don't want to see Spencer be an instant Casanova, but I do want to see him flex some young man instinctive activity. He's not a maladjust, he's merely shy, and not cripplingly so. We've seen him get up in people's faces many times, and he's really very good at the "best foot forward" thing, so it's not like I don't think he could handle it. 

I just want it to be organic. It'd be fine if it happened on the job, if he met someone in the course of duty - tons of people do that every day. But I really don't want him to make the first move, necessarily. That's why (and I know I'm in the minority), but I liked Einstein. She was just on the verge of some hard flirting and then they pulled back. And didn't he look really good in that one? 

I've given up wanting to see him with a man. They won't go there and I've accepted it. But as long as it happens in a "Reid" way, I'll be fine with it. 

• Love 3

Look, I get that idea - I really do. I do like Reid. After Prentiss he is my favourite character. My question is - considering how much of a dog's breakfast they have made of all romantic relationships for the other characters on the show - maybe it is a good thing they haven't done it to Reid. Obviously they won't write it well  -and at the end of the day, isn't that what fanfic is for?

• Love 8

Look, I get that idea - I really do. I do like Reid. After Prentiss he is my favourite character. My question is - considering how much of a dog's breakfast they have made of all romantic relationships for the other characters on the show - maybe it is a good thing they haven't done it to Reid. Obviously they won't write it well  -and at the end of the day, isn't that what fanfic is for?

I do see your point (and thank goodness for FF). My main complaint is the disparity of emphasis on the characters in the show. I don't necessarily need to see a Reid riding off into the sunset with the love of his life (although I'd like to, since he had it rough growing up and doesn't seem to have had that in his life and has on occasion appeared to want it, and everyone else has/has had it), but I would like to know that he has a full, rich life and is happy. And I'd like to see some of it.

Well, except for the Dorian girl. He asked her to go out for coffee. 

I don't want to see Spencer be an instant Casanova, but I do want to see him flex some young man instinctive activity. He's not a maladjust, he's merely shy, and not cripplingly so. We've seen him get up in people's faces many times, and he's really very good at the "best foot forward" thing, so it's not like I don't think he could handle it. 

I just want it to be organic. It'd be fine if it happened on the job, if he met someone in the course of duty - tons of people do that every day. But I really don't want him to make the first move, necessarily. That's why (and I know I'm in the minority), but I liked Einstein. She was just on the verge of some hard flirting and then they pulled back. And didn't he look really good in that one? 

I've given up wanting to see him with a man. They won't go there and I've accepted it. But as long as it happens in a "Reid" way, I'll be fine with it.

Oh, Saje, he was delectable in that episode. Simply lovely.

:::whispers::: I didn't mind Einstein, either. But I freely admit I'm a desperate, desperate woman.

Well it is not suppose to be the "JJ/Morgan show featuring Garcia" either, but that is exactly what it has felt like these last couple of seasons for some of us.

I love you.

• Love 4

I don't mind the idea of Einstein, and the girl was cute and smart. It was just cloying to have her be so smart, so on Reid's wavelength, and sooooooooo named "Einstein." Blerck. 

I think all this crew can manage without making a "dog's breakfast" (love that) of it again is to imply he's dating, maybe have him be on the phone with someone, asking Hotch for advice, little, subtle things. It doesn't need to be Maeve 2.0.

• Love 4

I don't mind the idea of Einstein, and the girl was cute and smart. It was just cloying to have her be so smart, so on Reid's wavelength, and sooooooooo named "Einstein." Blerck. 

I think all this crew can manage without making a "dog's breakfast" (love that) of it again is to imply he's dating, maybe have him be on the phone with someone, asking Hotch for advice, little, subtle things. It doesn't need to be Maeve 2.0.

They could make reference to his coffee date with Loker and imply that Reid has started seeing her on a regular bases. I would really love to see the actress make a return appearance. I'd like to see her and Reid working on another case together. Yes I am wishing for something like this even though we've already been told the show wasn't planning on bringing the actress back. Unfortunately as a huge Reid fan I feel most of the time as though the dreaming,the hoping,the wishing as all I have left to look forward to.

• Love 4

I don't know if you've seen this already, but just in case I am posting them.

I must say I love the look of everyone with the exception of JJ. Don't get me wrong: she looks great in that dress, but what does has anything to do with the show?

http://40.media.tumblr.com/e7603c33b1c8dc0de770060ef9664989/tumblr_nugq4vRqiN1sf7ax3o1_1280.png

And I resent the need to photoshop wrinkles.

People ages.

What's the big deal?

http://41.media.tumblr.com/0cc0f139b3e00dfb6f1d2dd3e577a12d/tumblr_nugq4vRqiN1sf7ax3o2_1280.png

• Love 4

To be fair none of the characters ever dress like that, though I would love if Garcia's dress found its way onto the show. It really says something when a dress that inappropriately short for the workplace is more professional than anything she's worn in years.

• Love 6