Type keyword(s) to search

Season 11 Anticipation More Stabs, etc...

• Start Topic

Yay! Speculation is, if they get TG back, this will center more on him this season. I hope so. And, as a Reid fan, I hope he will be second to Hotch, as he used to be second to Gideon, and will have more attention in 11.

• Love 8

Strange they renewed the show with the contracts still up in the air...I guess they're close, at least with Thomas Gibson and Joe Mantegna. Matthew Gray Gubler is signed already, so he's a given, leaving out Shemar Moore and Kirsten Vangsness.

That sound about right?

Not necessarily. Apparently Matthew was up for contract renewal this year (I guess CBS only signed him to a one year contract last season). So far we have not heard about any specific cast renewals in the sense of official signings. Joe will sign again I am sure. AJ will likely sign again (I mean, considering how much they are already talking about JJ for season 11, that has to be pretty much a given). Kirsten would probably renew. 

I honestly don't know about Thomas, though likely he will eventually sign. I think Shemar is the biggest wild card, just based on some of the stuff Shemar has posted on social media that seems to indicate the importance of knowing your worth and walking away if something isn't good enough. 

There is definite precedence for the show renewing, but not all the cast. It went down to the wire before the start of season seven. I mean, it was literally like a week or two before season seven started filming that Thomas signed his new contract. So at the time CBS would had to have been prepared to go forward without Thomas if they couldn't come to an agreement. 

• Love 1

Yay! Speculation is, if they get TG back, this will center more on him this season. I hope so. And, as a Reid fan, I hope he will be second to Hotch, as he used to be second to Gideon, and will have more attention in 11.

If they get TG, they should focus on Hotch more, particularly after the events of Mr. Scratch. I should hope they've learned something about not waiting a year to have the characters deal with trauma.

• Love 5

Matthew is slated to go to Monte Carlo this year. And he was with Erica Messer at the Upfronts this year. So I am reasonable sure he has signed on.

CM will also be staying put in is regular night and time. But it's spin off has been held for mid season.

• Love 2
(edited)

At this point, I'm not going to say anything is certain until CM next season rolls around in the fall. Naturally, I'd love next season to focus more on Reid and Hotch, my two favorite male characters. I would like the writers to see Reid through the same eyes I do-appreciating his talents, empathy and intelligence-and write him as a fully-faceted human being instead of just spouting off plot points and being a dart board for some people's condescending dart-like comments.

And after TG's masterful performance in "Mr. Scratch" (masterfully directed by Matthew, of course), I would like stories that focus on how the hallucination he suffered is affecting him (not too mention dealing with a father-in-law with Alzheimer's-elder care isn't exactly easy).

Glad to know CM will be on the same night and at the same time.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 4

I'm both elated and apprehensive that Criminal Minds is back in the autumn. I'm elated that my favorite show has been picked up but apprehensive that it will become even more of a soap, especially with things Erica Messer has said! I just want less unsub, more Hotch and Reid, more profiling and more suspense. I hope the personal stories are less - no more unrelated bookends but the odd line of dialogue woven into the episodes. I doubt that will happen though. Oh and I wish they would improve the lighting - we get too much of various people running around in the dark with guns with only JJ's high ponytail bobbing along to identify who's who!

• Love 5

Old Dog, I agree with most of what you say, but I'd be happy if they didn't bother improving the lighting in the running around in the dark with guns scenes, and just had less running around in the dark with guns.

• Love 6

Old Dog, I agree with most of what you say, but I'd be happy if they didn't bother improving the lighting in the running around in the dark with guns scenes, and just had less running around in the dark with guns.

Agreed to that! This shouldn't be an action cops show.

• Love 2

Well hopefully with these so called budget cuts, we will see these types of scenes less next season.And the show can go back to being what it was originally meant to be.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yes, yes, yes!!! What I love about CM (well, at least in the earlier seasons) is how anti-action cops show it is (and should be if I had any say). CM respected my intelligence. I loved the profiling, and how the unsub would be brought to justice, not with guns, fists, and violence, but with intelligence, curiosity, knowledge, and by valuing education (both formally and informally).

In season 11, I'm hoping for more profiling, and less exposure of the unsubs doing their evil work-if you've seen one severed limb you've seen them all. I want episodes devoid of soapy elements. I want women other than hookers flirting with Spencer, and ideally, I want Spencer to find true love with someone who shares his lovely qualities of empathy, kindness, intelligence, and all-around decency. That being said, I want the romantic entanglements of the BAU characters kept simmering on the back burner. This is a workplace drama, after all. I want JJ to back to how she was in the earlier seasons; maybe she isn't my favorite character, but I had fierce respect for her work as someone who chose the cases and dealt with the media-not exactly easy jobs. I want Garcia to go back to how she was in the early years, too, not the tiresome caricature she is now. And though some playful and flirty banter with Morgan is fine, I want the two of them to temper it a bit and before more professional. And no more surprise children and grandchildren for Rossi. I hate that soapy shit.

I would love Kirsten to write more episodes; she such a talented writer. And I know I don't need to express this-this is a given-I want more episodes directed by Matthew.

Now if only Erica and the CM writers would read my formal expression of their professional output.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 6

Yeah, my husband, who doesn't watch/like the show (but sees bits and pieces all the time from me leaving it on), says they always go in at the end with guns drawn, shouting and running around, big shootout. I tell him it didn't used to be that way, but lately, the writing is so damn lazy, that it's almost a given, along with not bothering to develop any LEO characters who can help naturally "give" the profile.

• Love 2

I also feel it bodes well for the show that CBS left it in its regular time slot. Also according to the network CM actually grew in its audience this year. CBS also referred to it as their highest rated 18-49 drama.

• Love 1

I also feel it bodes well for the show that CBS left it in its regular time slot. Also according to the network CM actually grew in its audience this year. CBS also referred to it as their highest rated 18-49 drama.

Excellent point! When networks play hopscotch with their shows, viewers can't keep track of some of their favorite shows' schedules and give up watching. And glad to know CM is one of CBS' highest rated dramas for peeps between 18-49, which is a very valued demographic to advertisers.

Now if only Erica and the CM writers would read my formal expression of their professional output.

You should print it out and send it to them, then you'll know for certain they've read it! 

Criminal Minds

c/o 500 S Buena Vista St.

Burbank, CA 91521

• Love 2

You should print it out and send it to them, then you'll know for certain they've read it! 

Criminal Minds

c/o 500 S Buena Vista St.

Burbank, CA 91521

Yes, but would they take my thoughts seriously?

I think so. I would think that every show does on some level. They have several people whose entire job it is to site there and catalogue actual mail, and someone has to read it to catalogue it. I think if a person takes the time to send them a hard copy letter, that it would have more weight than a comment on a website, or even an email. Tweeting is too short format to leave your comments in full, so I think this is a solid way to express yourself if you want the show to see your comments. 

• Love 1

I think so. I would think that every show does on some level. They have several people whose entire job it is to site there and catalogue actual mail, and someone has to read it to catalogue it. I think if a person takes the time to send them a hard copy letter, that it would have more weight than a comment on a website, or even an email. Tweeting is too short format to leave your comments in full, so I think this is a solid way to express yourself if you want the show to see your comments. 

Perhaps we should collect our wise thoughts and opinions on the current state of CM and send them to the Powers That Be via a scrapbook. Now that would get their attention.

• Love 5

I would dearly love to believe that Matthew's appearance with Erica at the CBS Upfronts as well as him being slated to appear at the Monte Carlo festival means that the network wants him to be used more in this up and coming season. However I am under no illusions about it whatsoever.

• Love 4

Interesting.

The Hits @thehitsnz  ·  23h 23 hours ago
"I'm actually talking to them now about doing an episode this year" @pagetpaget says a #EmilyPrentiss #CriminalMinds comeback is happening!

• Love 4

Joe is so nice for sharing these things on twitter, other cast members are all keeping it "secret". It's kinda annoying to me. Especially with Shemar... i'm still not sure that he's in or out :(

• Love 1

Interesting.

The Hits @thehitsnz  ·  23h 23 hours ago

"I'm actually talking to them now about doing an episode this year" @pagetpaget says a #EmilyPrentiss #CriminalMinds comeback is happening!

Frankly, I don't really like it.

This will only add more fuel to a fire that was finally almost extinguished.

I get that a number of viewers miss her. I used to miss her also, but after years and so many episodes, (and that stupid arc that turned into an 'international super spy saving half of the world from one of the most dangerous criminals that ever walked on planet earth'...) I don't want her to come back. The one time she did that she was portrayed as having a huge, elegant, posh office, implying that she was truly super successful, and she basically was back to be the JJ's BFF and play a minor Mary Sue character. Is that something I want to see again? not really.

I have no confidence in what the producers would do this time, but I guess it will involve her and JJ bonding again, plus some Morgan-Prentiss bonding as well, plus more girl power, everyone smiling as if everything is not only normal, but great, and a weird case chopped and scattered around the remaining 20 minutes of the episode. After the Doyle storyline, I just cannot welcome the character: her Marysueisation made a lot more sense, but still after so many years of JJ 2.0 I don't think I would be able to stand the return of the super spy.

There are several million of people that kept watching despite Brewster departure, because they wanted to see the other characters, and good stories. And the producers keep hiring guest stars and giving them a lot of time in a vain intent to increase ratings. Right now I am annoyed that they would care to pay attention to those fans to were deeply aggressive towards Tripplehorn and Hewitt just because they weren't PB, and kept asking for Prentiss return even though we all knew she was not interested.

Prentiss coming back for an episode is just not worthy for me. Still, if she would come back for good it would make even less sense than JJ returning from her flashy work at the Pentagon (in which she was key to fight terrorism) to then becoming a star profiler. Prentiss quitting a flashy Interpol position in which she can use her international spy skills, just for a desk job at a BAU?

Maybe one episode is the least of all evils.

I'm sorry about being negative about this, but I cannot get over what happened the one time she returned.

• Love 3

I agree. It would make a bit more sense if she came back for an episode in the spin off which is supposed to be set internationally. I could see some cross over with Interpol there. The only other thing that would make any sense would be her coming back as a friend only - say for JJ's baby christening. But I don't want that either as the drift into soap opera is bad enough already and a mention in passing among the team would be enough - we really do not want any more gratuitous fluff!

• Love 3

Yeah, I loved Prentiss (the real thing, not what they turned her into), but when they brought her back for 200, it just sort of felt like a meeting of the superpowers, JJ and Emily in that jet. I can't see her character fitting in with the BAU anymore after everything.

• Love 4

There are several million of people that kept watching despite Brewster departure, because they wanted to see the other characters, and good stories. And the producers keep hiring guest stars and giving them a lot of time in a vain intent to increase ratings. Right now I am annoyed that they would care to pay attention to those fans to were deeply aggressive towards Tripplehorn and Hewitt just because they weren't PB, and kept asking for Prentiss return even though we all knew she was not interested.

I think that if (the awful) 200 wasn't what Paget/Prentiss had returned for the first time, I would also be more excited about the prospect of her coming back again. I'm sure that the people who are still snarling about Alex and Kate ever daring to exist, and blaming Jeanne and Jennifer for "polluting" their perfect candy-colored world, are ecstatic, but I'm just wondering what the point is if Emily's only here for one ep. I suppose I'd watch, because I always remember the character as she was, and I don't hold it against Paget that her fans are.....well, "obsessive" sounds unkind, so how about we stick with "dedicated"? Is there any hint of what she's setting herself up for?

• Love 5

Yeah, I loved Prentiss (the real thing, not what they turned her into), but when they brought her back for 200, it just sort of felt like a meeting of the superpowers, JJ and Emily in that jet. I can't see her character fitting in with the BAU anymore after everything.

This.

Those two on the jet is a powerful image. Everyone else was kicked out of the plane, and the episode. And the 200 landmark.

And yet, I think if Prentiss instead of JJ would have come to save the world I probably would have been annoyed as well, but at least she would have been gone by the next episode.

I think that if (the awful) 200 wasn't what Paget/Prentiss had returned for the first time, I would also be more excited about the prospect of her coming back again. I'm sure that the people who are still snarling about Alex and Kate ever daring to exist, and blaming Jeanne and Jennifer for "polluting" their perfect candy-colored world, are ecstatic, but I'm just wondering what the point is if Emily's only here for one ep. I suppose I'd watch, because I always remember the character as she was, and I don't hold it against Paget that her fans are.....well, "obsessive" sounds unkind, so how about we stick with "dedicated"? Is there any hint of what she's setting herself up for?

Exactly. Pointless.

But for these producers and Messer, I bet they are planning to milk the situation by designing cheesy scenes already, and I have no desire to see them at all.

• Love 3
(edited)

I feel the exact same way. I miss Emily Prentiss, but I miss the original Emily Prentiss, just like I miss the original JJ. I too fear that Emily is going to be brought back in the capacity of yet another huge JJ centric episode. Where we are probably going to be subjected to a ton of JJ angst(yuck,barf,) and the rest of the team would basically be irrelevant. Reid would be lucky to get even 3 minutes of screen time. Or even worse he will get a decent amount of screen time, but he will be written in much the same way he was written in that awful episode "The Forever People". Giving the choice between the 2, I think I'd rather opt for Reid getting the lesser amount of screen time.

Oh and if I am proven wrong about all this, I will not only be happy, but downright ecstatic about it.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 2

I'm huge fan of Paget (loved her since she guested on "Friends"). But if she comes back I hope it's in the form of Prentiss: Original Recipe, and not as a prop to hold up JJ as the golden girl of the BAU. Yuck to that scenario.

• Love 3

You know, now that Anna Gunn is off the Beyond Boredom™ spinoff, it seems that Paget would be a good fit there. I don't know how well it will be written, but I bet she could chew it up and spit it out. It would also be a more natural link to the BAU team. I seriously doubt this would ever happen, but...

• Love 8

But she is Interpol now, no FBI

That would be a mess at leat she help them behind the interpol back

Which is exactly what she did in the infamous '200'...

• Love 2

Re:Paget Brewster's so called guest appearance. I will admit that I might not be remembering in correctly, but I seem to recall one of the reason that was used for not being able to get Jane Lynch back when she was still doing Glee is because Fox simple would not allow it. So it will be interesting to see if indeed they do allow Paget Brewster to make a guest appearance on CM.

Considering how often Jane guest starred on other network's shows during her run on Glee, I have to give some side eye to the idea that Fox restricted Jane's access to Criminal Minds. I tend to think that was just a convenient excuse to explain why they didn't write a returning story for her. 

• Love 4

I understand the gut reaction to this stuff with Jane Lynch is to blame EM because she's behind so many decisions that have alienated a significant portion of the fan base, but isn't it possible Lynch just doesn't want to do the show? The fact is, for whatever reason, CM is not a show that attracts big name guest stars and it certainly doesn't have any buzz. Lynch works a ton and is in the rare position to be picky with what roles she takes. Maybe she feels the time spent working on CM would be better spent elsewhere. And yes I know she's publicly said she would be willing to return but it would be pretty weird for her to say otherwise and could potentially come off as either rude or elitist.

The fact is we have no idea what's happening behind the scenes, we just make assumptions based on how we feel about the individuals involved, and most people dislike EM and will place the lion's share of the blame on her. Just playing devil's advocate here.

(edited)

Actually from what I've heard the show has quite a few well known people among it's fandom. Jennifer Hudson is suppose to be a fan. Kirstey Alley is a huge fan.Stevie Nicks is suppose to be a fan too.And I saw a comment somewhere claiming that Julie Andrews was also a fan. And Ed Asner who played Hotches father in law mentioned that he was a fan of the show.

And I don't think the problem is really the guest stars themselves as it is Messer and this bunch wanting to rely on them too much to carry the show instead of it's main cast. Because I remember there being some well know people appearing in the earlier season of CM, but the focus still remained on the cast as a whole.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 1

Jane is a smart businesswoman, and she does everything. Commercials, game shows, movies, tv. Criminal Minds can get her, they just have to PAY her. Her Lean Cuisine commercial with Julia Louis-Dreyfus wasn't exactly Shakespeare, so it's not like she's only doing TOP SHELF ACTING (said fabulously with flair). 

From what I hear, Erica doesn't like to recast (has she ever? I've heard she's never), so unless CBS is just being cheap jerks, I don't see why she wouldn't come back. She IS Diana Reid. I'm sure Matthew would love it. Maybe if he directed her episode? 

• Love 3

I understand the gut reaction to this stuff with Jane Lynch is to blame EM because she's behind so many decisions that have alienated a significant portion of the fan base, but isn't it possible Lynch just doesn't want to do the show? The fact is, for whatever reason, CM is not a show that attracts big name guest stars and it certainly doesn't have any buzz. Lynch works a ton and is in the rare position to be picky with what roles she takes. Maybe she feels the time spent working on CM would be better spent elsewhere. And yes I know she's publicly said she would be willing to return but it would be pretty weird for her to say otherwise and could potentially come off as either rude or elitist.

Giving both Jane and Messer records, I would be inclined to believe Jane. Not only because Messer just has been caught lying more often than not, but also because Lynch does indeed keep rather active, and doesn't turn jobs lightly. Also, if you don't want to be on a show you could also say that right now you are very busy, so that's why you won't do that episode, but she didn't say that. She actually said no one had asked her to replay Reid's mom.

• Love 5

And that was years ago. I'm also not sure when it was that Erica was "caught lying". Did anyone ever "catch her lying"? 

I think Erica says what she thinks is going to happen at any given time she grants the interviews. CBS says, "Hey, go talk to Minevev (or whatever his name is because CBS owns them), and she says ok. Then notes come in and everything changes. She gives a new interview, and since she knows how to spin it, makes it seem like that was the plan all along. 

Sorry but I just don't see Erica as this Machiavellian Maleficent with evil eyeliner on the cliff edge with her lightning staff and her dragon. She's just doing her job. She's not "THE QUEEN OF LIES" or anything even half as dramatic. She's a CBS showrunner doing her job. Whether we like it or not is irrelevant, as long as we show up.

• Love 2
(edited)

And that was years ago. I'm also not sure when it was that Erica was "caught lying". Did anyone ever "catch her lying"? 

When she said that 200 was a closed book, then wrote a new chapter with The Forever People.

Next time ask something difficult. :-D

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 2

When she said that 200 was a closed book, then wrote a new chapter with The Forever People.

Next time ask something difficult.

That pissed me off big time the way she went back on her word regarding that travesty of an episode. And let's not forget about the time she stated her reasoning for Morgan having the last dance with Prentiss in the season 7 finale was because he was the last one to find out she was still alive. Which of course was utter bull crap because he found out at the exact same time that Reid and Garcia did. So either that was a bold face lie or Messer doesn't even really bother watching the show.

• Love 2