Type keyword(s) to search

Season 11 Anticipation More Stabs, etc...

• Start Topic

Cool to hear that they're getting Aisha Tyler, she'll be the only reason I'll watch the four eps while AJ is on maternity leave. Even with new writers coming on, and a bad one leaving, these characters aren't that interesting any more because the writers don't write for them. CM is basically a show I watch on demand to see AJ.

• Love 1
(edited)

Cool to hear that they're getting Aisha Tyler, she'll be the only reason I'll watch the four eps while AJ is on maternity leave. Even with new writers coming on, and a bad one leaving, these characters aren't that interesting any more because the writers don't write for them. CM is basically a show I watch on demand to see AJ.

If AJ has her baby in late July like I heard she was going to, there is no way she is only going to miss only 4 episodes.It'll be more like 5 or 6. And hopefully when she does return the next few episodes will be JJ light.Because I doubt very much the actress is going to feel up to resuming a full time schedule when she first comes back.Or at least that is what I am hoping.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 6

Cool to hear that they're getting Aisha Tyler, she'll be the only reason I'll watch the four eps while AJ is on maternity leave. Even with new writers coming on, and a bad one leaving, these characters aren't that interesting any more because Erica has a girlcrush on JJ and not on any of the others. CM is basically a show I watch on demand to see AJ.

There. Fixed. :-P

• Love 5
(edited)

There. Fixed. :-P

You're so sassy, CoStar.

But still, what makes JJ such a compelling character to Erica, so compelling that other characters get relegated to just looking pretty and spouting random facts (Spencer, of course) or becoming a babbling cartoon character (Garcia)? Is it because JJ is a mother?

Edited by thewhiteowl
off topic
  • Love 3

You're so sassy, CoStar.

But still, what makes JJ such a compelling character to Erica, so compelling that other characters get relegated to just looking pretty and spouting random facts (Spencer, of course) or becoming a babbling cartoon character (Garcia)? Is it because JJ is a mother?

I think when this kind of thing happens, the producer/creator sees that character as a vehicle for their own character in some compelling way.  Same thing with Rusty on Major Crimes, whom James Duff writes/envisions as a version of himself.  They just can't help it. 

• Love 6

I think when this kind of thing happens, the producer/creator sees that character as a vehicle for their own character in some compelling way.  Same thing with Rusty on Major Crimes, whom James Duff writes/envisions as a version of himself.  They just can't help it. 

...and what ultimately derails them. Perhaps it's the human in us that we're afraid of our own failures, but far too many authors are afraid of placing flaws on their characters out of the fear that the audience will reject them, when the opposite is more overwhelmingly true.

• Love 5
(edited)

So I'd like to ask you guys what do you think Janine's departure and the rumor that Breen is taking over her spot as head writer will mean for the overall writing of the show. For me I am anticipating(hoping) for it to mean less focus on the unsubs. I feel that one of the biggest reasons for getting so much unsub, is that both Erica and Janine put way too damn much importance on them. And I am really hoping that Breen is going to help change all of this.

Now as far as not having to endure another season of JJ, I think it makes little difference. I am certain as soon as AJC feels up to returning back to work full time, Messer will once again be shoving her golden girl down our throats.Probably even more so because EM would want to make it up to the fans of AJ/JJ for the character having gotten less screen time earlier in the season, because of the actress having been on maternity leave.After all it is not as if JJ were a nobody like Reid(Messer's view not mines) so naturally EM is going to want to make up for the character's lost screen time.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 3

:::whimpers:::

Can we just have some Reid in the upcoming season? Please?

Do you mean more than the 2 hours or so he got last season,but that might take away from JJ's, aka the Mary Sue aka the golden girl aka the perfect little princess aka the precious,screen time

• Love 2
(edited)

If - and I say if - Breen is head writer now, I doubt it will make much difference to the balance of things: less unsub, more profiling, etc.

Only the show runner is the interface between the writers/producers and the network PTB. There's probably little Breen or anyone else could do as head writer to forge a different direction for the show. IMO

Edited by normasm
  • Love 3

I would be more than happy if JJ is paired with Rossi, or if she shares screen time with Garcia. In that way, I will happily skip them all without regrets.

• Love 2

If - and I say if - Breen is head writer now, I doubt it will make much difference to the balance of things: less unsubscribe, more profiling, etc.

Only the show runner is the interface between the writers/producers and the network PTB. There's probably little Breen or anyone else could do as head writer to forge a different direction for the show. IMO

Unfortunately you are probably right. Which makes the fact that EM didn't step down from running the original, so she could run the spin off, that much more disappointing.

I agree with THIS:

Cool to hear that they're getting Aisha Tyler, she'll be the only reason I'll watch the four eps while AJ is on maternity leave. Even with new writers coming on, and a bad one leaving, this show isn't that interesting any more because the writers don't write for the main characters. They're wasting way too much time on the unsubs and victims CM is basically a show I watch on demand to see AJ.

Do you mean more than the 2 hours or so he got last season,but that might take away from JJ's, aka the Mary Sue aka the golden girl aka the perfect little princess aka the precious,screen time

Oh, Lord, thanks for that, MMC. Now I've got this image of EM huddled in a corner like frigging Gollum crooning "Preciousssssssssssssssss...." over and over again.

• Love 5

Oh, Lord, thanks for that, MMC. Now I've got this image of EM huddled in a corner like frigging Gollum crooning "Preciousssssssssssssssss...." over and over again,while gazing lovingly and adoringly at a picture of AJ/JJ.

While I am greatly amused at the image you just painted, I cannot take credit for having come up with that nickname for JJ, although I wish that I had.

CoStar, I hope you don't mind that I felt the need to add something to your post that you had apparently forgotten to add yourself.

• Love 1

Well, I don't know anything about how things work in television, but I'd like to think that the writers have a choice of how they write their scripts. If they're able to write without showing us the unsub right off the bat and centering the episode on the unsub, I'd like to think that they would. Breen has written some great episodes. He's also written some of the worst (IMO) ones. I'm elated that JSB is gone, so I'm keeping an open mind about the upcoming season. 

• Love 2

MGG says he wants to delve more into Reid's home life, social life and see his mother return and figure out what he does on the weekends. Although I'm not sure if that means we will see any of those things in the show, I hope it does.

Would be nice. I've said it before and I'll say it again- Reid is so compelling a character that he deserves his own show.

• Love 5

MGG says he wants to delve more into Reid's home life, social life and see his mother return and figure out what he does on the weekends. Although I'm not sure if that means we will see any of those things in the show, I hope it does.

Well from MGG's mouth to God's ears. Apparently Spencer is such a loser he can't possibly have a life outside of the BAU. No dating, no hanging out with friends, no binge watching "Dr Who" while stuffing his face with Indian food, no cool hobbies, no hanging out in bookstores or taking interesting courses, etc. Seriously, what is it about Dr. Spencer Reid that inspires Erica Messer to make him just a pretty void who spouts random facts like a robot?

• Love 5

Joe Mantegna posted this to his official Facebook account, so I assume there's a lot of truth to this, even if it seems clear to me that the writer's first language isn't English:

http://www.dayherald.com/criminal-minds-old-cast-members-confirmed-while-new-members-introduced-messer-promises-a-great-season/4105/

Confirms Aisha Tyler's casting, and says that Paget Brewster is returning too. Says that Callahan is simply on a break and that JJ will be out for the first half of the season. The article also asserts that this season will only be 22 episodes, its lowest total since the strike-shortened Season 3 (which still produced 20). It's probably just a cost-cutting move, although it makes me wonder about S12 (the article says not to worry about that...but...).

I'm not sure how much I can draw from it, but it's got some interesting stuff. We'll see how it plays out.

• Love 1
(edited)

Joe Mantegna posted this to his official Facebook account, so I assume there's a lot of truth to this, even if it seems clear to me that the writer's first language isn't English:

http://www.dayherald.com/criminal-minds-old-cast-members-confirmed-while-new-members-introduced-messer-promises-a-great-season/4105/

Confirms Aisha Tyler's casting, and says that Paget Brewster is returning too. Says that Callahan is simply on a break and that JJ will be out for the first half of the season. The article also asserts that this season will only be 22 episodes, its lowest total since the strike-shortened Season 3 (which still produced 20). It's probably just a cost-cutting move, although it makes me wonder about S12 (the article says not to worry about that...but...).

I'm not sure how much I can draw from it, but it's got some interesting stuff. We'll see how it plays out.

I saw that article yesterday and I kind of assumed it was total bs, so that's interesting that JM posted it on facebook!

For one, nowhere anywhere outside of this article does it say PB is for sure returning, but the article claims that "Movie News Guide" confirmed it - the best I could find from Movie News Guide was that it's a possibility, certainly not a confirmation. For another, JLH has no plans to come back - they simply left the door open so that she could if in the future both she and TPTB wanted the character to return.

It could just be, as you said, the quality/clarity of English from the author, but I have serious doubts about the reliability of that article. That's not to say that the other stuff - in terms of season length and whatnot - isn't true, but it does make me doubt it. A heaping spoonful of salt :P

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 3

Page two of that article says that JJ will be back in episode six. And Paget tweeted tonight that it didn't work out for her to come back, due to her schedule on 'Grandfathered'.

• Love 5

Page two of that article says that JJ will be back in episode six. And Paget tweeted tonight that it didn't work out for her to come back, due to her schedule on 'Grandfathered'.

Well that's a bummer. :(

Which of course totally contradicts what they said about AJ/JJ being out for the first half of the season.I don't know maybe this person just isn't any good at math.

• Love 2

If jlh is simply on a break and AJ will be missing from the first half of the season then why on earth did they wasted the season10 finale on Kate? How unfair is this?

I don't think Joe Mantegna would post a total BS to his fb account so keeping my fingers crossed that the "Paget is returning" part of the story is true.

If jlh is simply on a break and AJ will be missing from the first half of the season then why on earth did they wasted the season10 finale on Kate? How unfair is this?

I don't think Joe Mantegna would post a total BS to his fb account so keeping my fingers crossed that the "Paget is returning" part of the story is true.

Being completely serious, it would have been more of a waste to give JJ yet another episode where her "beyond PTSD" surfaces, only for it to change nothing at all.

• Love 4

I don't have the link but CBS/CM has released a couple of promo videos for season 11. I noticed a couple of things in the first promo that I found quite irritating.

It was a promo referencing the profilers,but lo and behold there was Penelope Garcia even though she is not a profiler. And this is not the first time they have done this. And then there was the fact that everyone else's picture was shown at least twice except for Reid.

• Love 2
(edited)

I saw and loved that video. At first. Then I noticed what you noticed and subsequently became pretty pissed off.

"When someone's out to get ya, paranoia is just right thinkin'." ~The inimitable Dr. Johnny Fever

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't have the link but CBS/CM has released a couple of promo videos for season 11. I noticed a couple of things in the first promo that I found quite irritating.

It was a promo referencing the profilers,but lo and behold there was Penelope Garcia even though she is not a profiler. And this is not the first time they have done this. And then there was the fact that everyone else's picture was shown at least twice except for Reid.

thanks for the tip, they are on youtube, I just write criminal minds season 11 promo

the second one is a mix of older scenes and you can hear some of Hotch and JJ's lines

I don't like that kind of frankenpromos, aside of JJ's talking and Garcia's picture, I always feel like they are cheating on me with them

Edited by smoker
  • Love 1

I saw and loved that video. At first. Then I noticed what you noticed and subsequently became pretty pissed off.

"When someone's out to get ya, paranoia is just right thinkin'." ~The inimitable Dr. Johnny Fever

If they wanted to include Garcia they should have just made reference to the BAU instead of singling out the profilers.Of course this is not the first time they have done this.And perhaps if Reid hadn't gotten the shaft, pretty much the way he did in season 9, the issue of his picture being shown only once while the other profilers had theirs shown at least twice,might not have been that big of a deal to me.But as a Reid fan I view it as him not being as important as the other profilers.

• Love 2

"evil hits home" I wonder what they mean by that, maybe some fallout for Hotch over what happened to him in Mr. Scratch. What I am hoping it doesn't mean is some more JJ drama crap.

• Love 3

"evil hits home" I wonder what they mean by that, maybe some fallout for Hotch over what happened to him in Mr. Scratch. What I am hoping it doesn't mean is some more JJ drama crap.

*groan*

That's pretty much every season, isn't it? "Evil always gets too close to bear"...can't they find some other storyline for a change?

• Love 5

Well, they are only a couple of episodes in. I'm sure there will be some male guest stars. I think one of the problems, though, is that they cut the budget and actresses get paid less than actors. So the male guest stars would likely be more expensive.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

There are new writers on the show: Erik Stiller (who wrote CM episode Breath Play) and Karen Maser (who wrote for Army Wives and ER). Tari (aka willowy) interviewed Erik and will be posting the interview soon. Karen seems pretty cool. She has a great appreciation for the fans.

I know that Erica claimed they are going to try to get Jane Lynch back this season, but I'm still not going to hold my breath. Sometimes I wish the writers/producers wouldn't say what they expect/want to do with the season because often it gets our hopes up and then it doesn't happen.

• Love 2

I was reading the renewed or cancelled table on spoilertv.com

http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/09/the-complete-spoilertv-20142015-tv.html

and something has picked up my attention, there are several shows next season with 22 episodes: bones, castle, the blacklist, the good wife, law and order, scorpion, mom or blue bloods (ok, this one has always gotten 22)

I know is stupid but I'm feeling some relief now. I know this means nothing and I'm not jumping of happiness (Hawaii 5-0 got 25!! why??) but I'm glad a shorter season it's not necessarily a bad sign and the survival of the show was on its own merit 

Obviously, they are going to save money and I don't live there, so I don't know if this matters, but they are going to start to air in October (or last week in Sept., sorry I forgot) so maybe 24 episodes are harder of schedule

Edited by smoker

Usually a lower episode order is a sign of trouble, but I'm not too alarmed with 22 episodes. It's a standard episode order, and while it's the lowest ordered total since Season 1 (Season 3 cut short by the writer's strike), it's consistent with what other series are getting.

It would alarm me if CBS cut the order mid-season, as often that's a sign of cancellation. CSI had its order cut last year and, despite denials all year, CBS eventually cancelled it.

My interpretation is that CBS is going to see how Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders does first. If that show becomes a hit, then CM will likely be told to wrap up this season or next, just so CMBB can take its mantle. Whether or not CM gets a S12 is an open question- if I were running things, I think I'd wait to see if CMBB can last two seasons (since a third season guarantees a fourth, as that allows enough episodes for syndication), but there's no guarantee CBS will follow that.

In short, I think next year will be interesting, to say the least.

• Love 3

Wow. Interesting. It could be Reid who's leaving, but from what he says, I kinda doubt it. Maybe a good send off for either Morgan (as we thought he was going last season), or Rossi (although he says he's in to the bitter end).

Edited by normasm
  • Love 1

That's very interesting.

I'm more inclined to take what MGG says at face value than EM, but I'm wondering if it could still just refer to Aisha Tyler's character, if you could call her a "regular team member".

Have you seen the votes?
Hotch is high in the poll, maybe mr scratch is haunting him (I hope it's not him, crossing fingers)
My picks are Shemar M or Thomas G
could It be Mateo Cruz?
If they're talking about Aisha that would be only a trick to make us feel curious

Edited by smoker
  • Love 1

If they talk about Aisha that would be only a trick to make us feel curious

And it wouldn't be the first time they've done that.

From a story standpoint, I suppose Hotch would make the most sense. He got an awful mindfuck in Mr. Scratch, and provided that Erica has a grain of sense in her head, she'll explore that in the coming season. Even if Thomas isn't leaving, it'd be worth delving into.

• Love 2

And it wouldn't be the first time they've done that.

From a story standpoint, I suppose Hotch would make the most sense. He got an awful mindfuck in Mr. Scratch, and provided that Erica has a grain of sense in her head, she'll explore that in the coming season. Even if Thomas isn't leaving, it'd be worth delving into.

Agree, I wish they wrote something good for that one, at least we can dream

I think from a story perspective, it would actually make the most sense for Rossi to leave because he is beyond the mandatory retirement age. I don't want it to be Rossi and I don't think that Joe has given any hints that he wants to leave. Now, Shemar has indicated that he might leave. Maybe he signed on for this season to let them wrap up Morgan's story.

Although, I do agree that it might be Cruz.

Of course, it could also be a dream or a scene set in the future where the team member is leaving.

Edited by zannej
  • Love 3

I think from a story perspective, it would actually make the most sense for Rossi to leave because he is beyond the mandatory retirement age. I don't want it to be Rossi and I don't think that Joe has given any hints that he wants to leave.

Re: this, because its come up before. but has Rossi's age ever been mentioned? When he first came back to the BAU, didn't he tell Morgan, Emily and Reid that he was in his fifties in the scene where they were inspecting the office he'd just moved into? I might be misremembering, and I know that Joe is pushing seventy, but are he and Dave supposed to be close in age?

• Love 2