Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

"Me and @shondarhimes! The brains behind @greysabc!" It´s a quote from D.Allen on her instagram picture with Rhimes for the 250th episode celebration they had on set.

There is something about Allen,her attitude, her expansivity on Greys that I find very very annoying. Hard to figure out why she thinks she is brains behind Greys. She even placed her name before Rhimes. Strange choice of word order. Allen and Scorsone both have that bossy attitude that I dislike so much.

Shonda should watch out, because one day she will find Allen sitting in the chair in her office. Just like Scorsone is stepping on Pompeo´s heels.

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan
  • Love 1

"Me and @shondarhimes! The brains behind @greysabc!" It´s a quote from D.Allen on her instagram picture with Rhimes for the 250th episode celebration they had on set.

There is something about Allen,her attitude, her expansivity on Greys that I find very very annoying. Hard to figure out why she thinks she is brains behind Greys. She even placed her name before Rhimes. Strange choice of word order. Allen and Scorsone both have that bossy attitude that I dislike so much.

Shonda should watch out, because one day she will find Allen sitting in the chair in her office. Just like Scorsone is stepping on Pompeo´s heels.

I'm not at all a fan of her character, but I have a huge respect for Debbie Allen. She's a pioneer in the industry, and she's done amazing work. She IS one of the brains behind Grey's, as a frequent director and now producer. I get what you mean (the wording could come off as weird in that post) but I get the feeling from her interviews that she really loves the show and the cast, and she takes her work there seriously (she was working on the BIGGEST shows on TV, including Empire and HTGAWM, and stepped away to work exclusively with Grey's this season.) The cast videos on instagram with her the past few days have been hilarious: 

https://instagram.com/greysabc/

As for Scorsone... again, totally not a fan of the character and I think the actress is subpar, but I don't think she's gunning for Ellen lol. The cast at this point all seem to get along incredibly well. Any backstage animosity / drama seems to all be fan creation at this point. 

• Love 4
TVline is predicting Meredith will be romantically paired with Martin Henderson's character by the end of season 12.  Not based on any intel as far as I can tell, just their own speculating.

I definitely think that the show will plant the seeds by the end of the season, but I don't think that anything significant will happen until next season.  I mentioned before that they will probably dislike each other at first and then become friends, maybe flirt a little and then by the end of the season either they will kiss, almost kiss or Meredith will realize that she can have feelings for someone again.

If they do it right (HA!) this could be a good story to tell.  I know a few people who have lost a spouse and then remarried and are happy.  It may not be the thrill of a first love and there will always be sadness, especially if there are kids involved, but people can deeply love more than one person in their lifetime.  Most people do.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 3

If they do it right (HA!) this could be a good story to tell.  I know a few people who have lost a spouse and then remarried and are happy.  It may not be the thrill of a first love and there will always be sadness, especially if there are kids involved, but people can deeply love more than one person in their lifetime.  Most people do.

I agree, if they do it right. However, I do not think Shonda can do it right. Unfortunately. I think generally she hates men. Plus she is all about friendships anyway. Like for her friendship is not or cannot be a part of a romantic relationship or later marriage. 

I think Rhimes has a distorted view on romantic relationships and marriage, too. I think all her life attitudes are reflected on the show.

I hate men,I am all for female friendships is sort of Rhimes´s mojo in my opinion. 

I witness so many married couples in their 60s,70s,80s holding hands and being happy together,one can see it on their faces,sharing love and friendship. I am sure they must be friends in the first place to be able to achieve something like this.

I would like to see the journey of a romantic couple in love depicted on the show,one that gives me hope it is possible not hear all the time about  female friendships and soulmates and female power. It has never been about a boy and all that stuff. Bla,bla,bla. I am sick of it.

I believe to watch a meaningful lovestory of two people who try to move on and find love again after a beloved spouse has died, we would have to find another show to watch.

I'm not at all a fan of her character, but I have a huge respect for Debbie Allen. She's a pioneer in the industry, and she's done amazing work. She IS one of the brains behind Grey's, as a frequent director and now producer. I get what you mean (the wording could come off as weird in that post) but I get the feeling from her interviews that she really loves the show and the cast, and she takes her work there seriously (she was working on the BIGGEST shows on TV, including Empire and HTGAWM, and stepped away to work exclusively with Grey's this season.) The cast videos on instagram with her the past few days have been hilarious: 

https://instagram.com/greysabc/

As for Scorsone... again, totally not a fan of the character and I think the actress is subpar, but I don't think she's gunning for Ellen lol. The cast at this point all seem to get along incredibly well. Any backstage animosity / drama seems to all be fan creation at this point. 

Yes, I also do respect Allen´s work and her achievements. But I still do not like her general attitude. There is something about her that I find annoying. On the other hand,I ADORE Viola Davis, I guess it is her charisma that appeals to me and above all modesty. She is so so different from Allen and successful in the same way if not more.

Slightly off topic, but ABC just bought another drama from Shonda/Shondaland.....an Army themed medical drama.  The article claims it is not a GA spinoff, but interesting given Owen/April's recent adventures.  Maybe she can bring back Teddy and Medcom?

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/23/abc-shondaland-shonda-rhimes-army-medical-drama?hootPostID=63e53368341841eb6bac1220e28d208d

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/shonda-rhimes-abc-baghdad-drama-zoanne-clack-1201600923/

ETA: The second article says its set in 2004.

Edited by Greysaddict

I couldn't find any over the next couple of weeks either.

I think I read somewhere that Shonda is going to be on Kimmel on Thurday night,

I think Kim Raver is on another show now but I could be wrong.

I was just joking about the Teddy thing, one of the articles says there won't be any overlapping characters but obviously things can change. Also, I don't believe Kim Raver is currently on anything.

Edited by Greysaddict

Shonda: So it's not like we have killed a million doctors. Three doctors have died. Really.

Lol, really Shonda? I'm not one to complain about deaths, because as she also says it comes with the territory of the show. But who is she leaving out? 4 regulars have been killed (George, Lexie, Mark, Derek) not to mention Reed & Charles in the shooting. 

I wondered who she forgot as well.  Funny how it may not seem like a lot, but clearly its too many for her to even remember killing them!

pennben- Sepinwall is one of my favorite reporters as well.  I feel like he does the best with not just spitting out the same answers to questions over and over (looking at you EW!).  

• Love 1

George, Reed, Charles, Lexie, Mark, Heather Brooks, Derek. And Ellis, I mean she technically counts.

She killed off so many doctors on the show,this is  evidence you wrote here and she said it was three. Just awful. I can´t stand lies. 8 all together is not 3.

I just came over to post this! I always find her interviews interesting, and Sepinwall is one of my favorite critics to read.

I like Sepinwall also.  He watched and reported on Grey's long after everyone else dismissed it.  He always had nice things to say about Justin Chambers, who barely gets any notice from the media (not that most of them do anymore except for backstage drama, but I always thought that he never got enough credit for the work he does).

Anyway, its interesting to me how prickly and defensive Shonda has gotten.  I don't watch Scandal and don't really go out of my way to read about her or her interviews, but I vaguely remember her being a lot more open during the early days of Grey's.  Of course, she had a few bumpy years and has gotten a lot of flack about various things, so I guess I can't blame her, but I didn't quite realize that it was a known thing among the critics.

Very early numbers:

Despite facing football, ABC did not disappoint care of female-driven dramas “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal” and “How To Get Away With Murder.” “Grey’s Anatomy” opened season 12 (yes…time flies!) with a healthy 7.1/12 (#2) in the household overnights at 8 p.m., which was right on par with the 7.0/12 year-ago season-opener. That translated into 10.14 million viewers and a 3.1 rating/11 share in adults 18-49, based on the Live + Same Day data.

• Love 1

Grey's is an absolute powerhouse. It scored a 2.8 in the demo and 9.45 million viewers

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/09/ratings-news-25th-september-2015.html

Other shows last night, for reference: 

HTGAWM - 2.6

Scandal - 3.2 

Heroes Reborn - 2.0 / 1.9 

And earlier this week: 

Modern Family: 3.2

The Muppets - 2.8

Limitless - 1.8

Scream Queens - 1.7

Castle - 1.2

Nashville - 1.2

Grey's remains one of the biggest young draws on TV. This number will go down over the season, of course, but it's still trouncing new and younger shows. If Ellen agrees to keep singing on, ABC is going to keep this going for as long as they possibly can. We can snark all we want about the quality, but Shonda has created something that keeps viewers coming back for these characters. It's pretty crazy. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 3
It scored a 2.8 in the demo and 9.45 million viewers

Generally, they lose viewers from the finale to the premiere. I think there were a couple of years that held steady but this season they actually gained some viewers. Pretty amazing for a show in its 12th season.

• Love 1

Amazing that they just beat the Emmy Winning Murder so quickly.

And only .4 behind Scandal despite being 7 years older.

It was one of the T10 scripted shows yet again last season, and might even move up a few places this season. 

Sons of Anarchy is gone, though I suppose Fear the Walking Dead takes its place in the cable trinity.

Last night suggests Grey's could beat Murder this season.

NCIS fell a bit harder than Grey's % wise, so could fall back behind for the season.

It's theoretically possible that Grey's is the winner overall of TGIT, though it would be difficult.

These are truly strong ratings.  This show isn't going anywhere unless Shonda says so.  It was the 9th highest rated show this week with A18-49 and the #3 show (Empire #1, Scandal #2) with adults 18-24 and tied Scandal for 2nd with women 18-24.  Younger viewers are so hard to reach so this is huge.  

• Love 4

Yes, at this trend, if the show ends within the next two years, it will likely be Rhimes who pulls the plug, not ABC. And I imagine that Pompeo's contract may be a big factor in her decision. I used to think that they would go on without Meredith if she left, and I believe that the show was planning for this during its middle seasons. But with the TGIT "strong woman" promo angle, and the rationale for killing Derek ("she's the show!"), the series will now end -- for sure -- with Meredith at the helm. And I don't think Pompeo is going anywhere.

In fact, I could see them going for 15 years, just to buck E.R.'s legacy.

• Love 2

I think that 15 seasons is probably their goal and it would seem that way based on various actor contract renewals (JCap so far).

Just out of curiosity, do we know what the episode breakdown for the season is yet? I much, much preferred the 12/12 to the 8/16-17. They seem to really be keeping everything under wraps this season.

I think that 15 seasons is probably their goal and it would seem that way based on various actor contract renewals (JCap so far).

Just out of curiosity, do we know what the episode breakdown for the season is yet? I much, much preferred the 12/12 to the 8/16-17. They seem to really be keeping everything under wraps this season.

When Shonda first mentioned Martin Henderson coming on she said he'd enter at "mid-season", and we now know he comes in around episode 6 or 7. So I'm guessing we'll be seeing a split early in the season again. I also believe they ordered 25 episodes this season though I may be wrong. 

Thanks BaseOps!  Ugh...I really hope that they don't do it this way.  It kind of ruined the momentum of the season IMO.  Especially if they are going to do 25 episodes.  I would prefer that they do 8 then a small break, 8 more than a small break and then the final 8/9, rather than long summer break, 8 episodes, 2 month hiatus and then the rest of the season.  

Thanks BaseOps!  Ugh...I really hope that they don't do it this way.  It kind of ruined the momentum of the season IMO.  Especially if they are going to do 25 episodes.  I would prefer that they do 8 then a small break, 8 more than a small break and then the final 8/9, rather than long summer break, 8 episodes, 2 month hiatus and then the rest of the season.  

I totally agree. For one, I think 25 episodes is way too many. I wish they'd at least just stick to 22, because with 25 there's bound to be too much filler which often results in garbage (see "Owen and Amelia sing Staying Alive to a little girl over the phone" from S11.) And yea, I think the mid-way split works a lot better. The "back-half" of last season felt so all over the place, bouncing from one story to the next. I hope things are a bit tighter this season, since obviously PD's exit threw a wrench into some plans last year. 

When Shonda first mentioned Martin Henderson coming on she said he'd enter at "mid-season", and we now know he comes in around episode 6 or 7. So I'm guessing we'll be seeing a split early in the season again. I also believe they ordered 25 episodes this season though I may be wrong. 

As of now, I believe they will be breaking for the winter after episode 8 again, and also returning at the end of January (start of Feb sweeps) for 17 episodes, for a total of 25. 

12/12 is a great from production/writing standpoint it doesn't really work from a scheduling perspective for shows that start in late September. 12 straight episodes would mean running during late November/early December when TV viewing is generally low due to the holidays.  I don't think ABC wants to take that risk with their coveted TGIT, plus Thursdays are typically one the most expensive nights of the week for commercials.  Averaging in lower rated Thursdays to the seasonal average would lower the overall cost ABC could charge.

Edited by Greysaddict

I think they'll break after episode 9 or 10.  I think it was earlier last year because they were trying to keep TGIT in tact and HTGAWM has a shorter season. This year they'll have The Catch after HGAWM ends so still TGIT only with a different 10pm show.

Grey's did a 2.3 last night, pending adjustments. 8.45M total viewers

It's held up incredibly well; a lot of shows took a huge dip this week. Most network series are struggling to crack a 2.0 right now. Considering the time slot (it's up against Thursday Night Football) most other shows would kill for Grey's ratings. The only scripted show to best it last night was Scandal with a 2.8 (HTGAWM also got a 2.3). Grey's beat the season premieres of The Blacklist, Bones, and Sleepy Hollow. 

Comparisons to other dramas this week: 

Blindspot - 2.6 (it follows The Voice)

Limitless - 1.9

Scream Queens - 1.4

Agents of Shield - 1.7 (Season Premiere) 

Castle - 1.2

Scorpion - 1.7 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1

The consistency of Grey's even at this point is pretty amazing. They lose some audience each year (as most long running shows do) but it follows the same pattern every year - there's always a dip from episode 1 to 2 of about .4 in the demo and this follows that trend. Last season the first half of the season averaged 2.5. If it can average a 2.3 for the first half it will probably meet (or exceed) what ABC is expecting (I am 100% just guessing the range they'd be looking for based on previous season numbers).

Grey's beat the season premieres of The Blacklist, Bones, and Sleepy Hollow

It also beat the live+SD ratings for the premiere of the heavily promoted Quantico (1.9), Blood & Oil (1.4), Nashville (1.2), Code Black (1.6), Chicago PD (1.7), NCIS (2.1) and at about half of the comedies (usually always higher demo than dramas). Just in case there's any doubt on why ABC wants to keep Grey's going.

• Love 3

I think people really underestimate what Grey's does for ABC. It's an easy pickup every year; they've managed to maintain buzz for 12 seasons, which is virtually unheard of. New, young-skewing shows are failing to crack 2.0s with their premieres (Scream Queens, Quantico, Limitless) and Grey's is already besting or tying HTGAWM, which is only in S2 and just took home a Best Lead Actress Emmy. Thursdays at 8 has been a death slot for ABC (and many other networks) for years, but Grey's is self-starting and thriving there. Last night's NFL game was watched by a lot more people than the week before, and throw in the premiere of Bones... Grey's holding a 2.3 is incredible. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 3

Adding one more thing about this week's ratings...Grey's was actually up versus last year (11x02) in women 18-24 (3.1 vs. 2.9 last year).  I am totally stereotyping but this is the demo I would expect to drop the most without Derek/MerDer.  Also, 18-24's are the hardest demographic to reach nowadays, so its pretty surprising and interesting that there are more watching this year.  

• Love 2

Year to year comparisons:

Grey's -12%

Scandal -15%

Murder -28%

Consistency.

Based on SpottedRatings.com's evaluation of a "hit" as a show that does 25% better than the average show on network TV, this has been a hit for 11 seasons and given how slowly it's falling compared to most other shows, I can definitely see it being one for 15.

Apparently Grey's beat Murder by a microscopic margin: 2.332 vs. 2.328 in 18-49.

Edited by jjjmoss

Last Night: 

A18-49 ratings/Total Viewers

Grey's 2.1/8.06 mill (-9% vs. last week in A18-49, -13% vs. last year)

Scandal 2.6/ 8.72 mill (-7% vs. last week in A18-49, -13% vs. last year)

HTGAWM 2.1/7.2 (-9% vs. last week in A18-49, -32% vs. last year)

pretty typical declines, nothing to be concerned over.  TGIT still crushes the non-football competition.  

This makes me really happy for the cast. These guys have put in crazy hours and worked their assess off for our entertainment for years. I'm glad Ellen has stuck around, and I'm glad Grey's is continuing to get the recognition it deserves (even more so lately as TGIT has become a thing.) Having Denzel Washington direct an episode - his first ever for television - is pretty damn cool. I'm guessing it's going to be a special episode. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 5

I wonder if its going to be the mid-season finale?  I hope not, only because I really don't like the uneven "seasons" like this.  I am enjoying this season o far and this kind of just loses the momentum.