Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

Still, @Chas411, we will have a lot of new/fresh blood within the first few eps; 

- Megan

- At least 3 interns

- DeLuca's sister

- Teddy 

Plus eventually Jo's husband (from a recent interview with Camila, it sounds like he isn't around for the first few episodes, so maybe he pops up a bit later?). I'm optimistic about  the new season, though, with most of the cast saying the same thing - it feels much fresher, lighter, and more sexy and fun. Under Vernoff, I think we'll see a return to more structured storytelling and hopefully get more payoff and less doom & gloom. 

44 minutes ago, Morksmate said:

Don't worry, they'll spectacularly kill off 3 of them in the season finale.  As usual.

The last time anyone died in a finale was Lexi in season 8. 

Edited by BaseOps
1 hour ago, BaseOps said:

The last time anyone died in a finale was Lexi in season 8. 

Didn't Heather Brooks die in the finale (or was she just electrocuted in the finale and died in the next season's premiere?)  

My snarky point was that it is too common for this show to introduce 4-6 interns and then trim them down to one (not always killing them, but it is much more memorable to shoot them up or fry them than it is to just send them off).  It's like the Shonda Rhimes version of the Hunger Games.

Personally, I would much rather that they had the interns as sort of background characters and then maybe choosing one or two to promote at a time that makes sense (like when they go from interns to residents or whatnot).

Edited by Morksmate
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Morksmate said:

Didn't Heather Brooks die in the finale (or was she just electrocuted in the finale and died in the next season's premiere?)  

My snarky point was that it is too common for this show to introduce 4-6 interns and then trim them down to one (not always killing them, but it is much more memorable to shoot them up or fry them than it is to just send them off).  It's like the Shonda Rhimes version of the Hunger Games.

Personally, I would much rather that they had the interns as sort of background characters and then maybe choosing one or two to promote at a time that makes sense (like when they go from interns to residents or whatnot).

Richard was electrocuted in the S9 finale; in the premiere, Brooks went to get him and got electrocuted. 

It's actually been pretty all over the place in terms of how new interns are dealt with. The first batch came with Lexi in S4; she was the only intern to become a series regular, but many of them stuck around as background characters for years (Pierce and Graciela for 3 seasons, Steve for 5, etc.), then in season 9 we got Jo, Shane, Steph, Brooks, and Leah, all of whom became regulars in S10 aside from Brooks, and then Shane and Leah both left after S10. Along with DeLuca we got Cross and Spencer; DeLuca became a regular, and Cross has appeared as a recurring guest through S13, while Spencer only appeared in 11 & 12.

Aside from all of them, we've had tons of random background interns appear in random scenes or episodes here and there. There's an intern named Hannah, for example, who has appeared in multiple episodes of season 12 & 13 (she is played by Debbie Allen's daughter Vivian Nixon). 

Basically, time will tell what happens with the interns. At this point there's no real pattern as to how they're dealt with. 

• Love 1

GREY'S ANATOMY TWO-HOUR SEASON 14 PREMIERE

14.01 / 14.02: "Break Down The House" / "Get Off On The Pain" - Meredith and the team focus on helping Owen's sister; Amelia faces a conflict over a patient; Jo makes a surprising choice; Andrew's sister's controversial research leads to a shocking discovery.

Edited by BaseOps
3 hours ago, BaseOps said:

GREY'S ANATOMY TWO-HOUR SEASON 14 PREMIERE

14.01 / 14.02: "Break Down The House" / "Get Off On The Pain" - Meredith and the team focus on helping Owen's sister; Amelia faces a conflict over a patient; Jo makes a surprising choice; Andrew's sister's controversial research leads to a shocking discovery.

I keep having to remind myself that Andrew = DeLuca!  I'm surprised that his sister is showing up so early in the season.  I was under the impression that we wouldn't see her for a few episodes.

1 hour ago, Morksmate said:

I keep having to remind myself that Andrew = DeLuca!  I'm surprised that his sister is showing up so early in the season.  I was under the impression that we wouldn't see her for a few episodes.

I had to pause for a second when I read 'Andrew', too. I assumed we wouldn't see her for a few episodes, but I'm guessing she'll pop up in the second hour of the premiere rather than the first since they seem to have been written as two episodes rather than an actual two-parter. 

• Love 1

Slightly different description for the premiere: "Meredith struggles to come up with a new plan for Owen’s sister. Jo makes a surprising choice regarding Alex, and Andrew’s sister’s controversial research leads to a shocking discovery. Guest starring is Kim Raver as Teddy Altman, Abigail Spencer as Megan Hunt and Stefania Spampinato as Carina DeLuca." 

Yet another new description, this one only for the first hour, along with a batch of promo photos. 

"Break Down the House" - Meredith and the team are focused on helping Owen's sister after her shocking return, and Amelia faces a conflict over a patient. Meanwhile, Bailey is forced to give Grey Sloan a facelift after the fire, and the doctors are introduced to a few new faces that spice things up around the hospital, on "Grey's Anatomy". 

Full batch of photos for the first hour here

Jo will either take Alex back only for them to break up later on in the season possibly for good otherwise... Actually that's the only option I can think of. She'd hardly make a decision to continue not dating him.

At least the Jolex stuff looks a little lighter. Looks like the loft is back too.

Im also kind of intrigued by the Martin Henderson (can't even remember his name) and Meredith interactions which I didn't expect.

Big yawn to Jackson/Maggoe though. I'm dreading it happening as well as how much of her childish babbling we'll have to listen to while it's happening.

• Love 2

Ben will leave Grey's mid-season to join the fire fighter spin-off

Details about George's transition to the spinoff are being kept under wraps. Just how George will move to the spinoff will be a key part of his storyline on the upcoming 14th season of Grey's Anatomy. George will continue to be a series regular on Grey's Anatomy season 14 until production of the spinoff begins, at which point he will focus his attention there. (The casting does not mean he will not continue to pop in and out of the flagship series.)

• Love 1

Maybe they'll have a permanent doctor at the firehouse, like a trauma doc. Although that doesnt explain Ben but it is Shonda's world so who knows. 

I can already see episodes where he and EMT's fight about treating patients, or him doing some crazy field doctor stuff (which, he was already doing at the hospital so now out in the field?).

Is there a forum for Grey's Firehouse or whatever its called yet? Because I was hoping for more girl power and wanted Shonda to stack this firehouse with more ladies than gents. But if Ben's there, I wonder if its going to be all dudes with some (hopefully) ladies.

Edited by SnoGirl
4 hours ago, Pink ranger said:

So .. is Ben going to quit his medical career to be a fire fighter? How will he pay off his student debts?

He was an anesthesiologist for a long time and they make bank. I'm sure he's not in debt, and his wife is the Chief of Surgery at a hospital so they aren't hurting for money. 

3 hours ago, Chas411 said:

... And then return to the medical field on the offchance the show fails?

ABC is committed to the spin-off for at least one season, and since Shonda has jumped ship to Netflix, I'm sure the bar of ratings performance has been set low enough for any remaining and upcoming Shondaland series to be given at least a couple seasons on the network. JMO

Edited by funnygirl
16 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Is there a forum for Grey's Firehouse or whatever its called yet?

Not yet, as the spinoff is untitled still. As soon as it gets a name, we'll make a forum for it. 

On 8/31/2017 at 6:11 PM, BaseOps said:

Richard was electrocuted in the S9 finale; in the premiere, Brooks went to get him and got electrocuted. 

Health care worker pet peeve -- Richard wasn't electrocuted.  He is still on the show.  Electrocution = execution (death) + electricity.  He was shocked.  He survived.  

(Sorry...late getting to the party.  Damn hurricanes got in the way.)

• Love 1

Back to Jason George moving to the new show...

I actually don't think that's a bad idea.  They've struggled with trying to make the Ben/Bailey relationship work with him working for her and they haven't really settled anything.  The idea of Ben leaving the hospital for a local job elsewhere, but staying in his marriage, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.  Plus, Ben giving up anesthesiology to become a resident seemed so ridiculous to me that him leaving the hospital for the firehouse, depending on what they do with it and what his job will be, wouldn't seem so strange at all.  (Also, Ben being a resident where he had been an anesthesiologist was just....stupid).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Finn would be fun, but my guess is the military guy she hooked up with. I wouldn't mind seeing Thatcher again; he hasn't been around since before Lexie died. 

re Amelia, I wonder if she and Owen hooked up again and she's pregnant and not telling anyone. 

I figure military guy would go to his own hospital if he needed care.  I read this article and it made me think that Meredith wants or needs someone to have the shared experience of losing a partner to death, and Finn was a widow at the time.  Plus, at this point, he is deep in her past, and might bring up a lot of memories of experiences of life back then and since then.

Thatcher could be interesting, too.  I feel like they closed the door on that, but closed doors sometimes open up....

Amelia: I wonder if the secret is not letting Owen and his sister know that Meredith and Riggs had a semi-serious fling.  

• Love 1
On 9/13/2017 at 5:14 PM, Morksmate said:

Back to Jason George moving to the new show...

I actually don't think that's a bad idea.  They've struggled with trying to make the Ben/Bailey relationship work with him working for her and they haven't really settled anything.  The idea of Ben leaving the hospital for a local job elsewhere, but staying in his marriage, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.  Plus, Ben giving up anesthesiology to become a resident seemed so ridiculous to me that him leaving the hospital for the firehouse, depending on what they do with it and what his job will be, wouldn't seem so strange at all.  (Also, Ben being a resident where he had been an anesthesiologist was just....stupid).

I guess believing a 40 something year old guy giving up a medical career to be a firefighter is as believable as a 34 year old having enough career achievements to be head of cardio thoracic surgery.

• Love 4
On 9/16/2017 at 3:08 PM, Stacey1014 said:

Finn would be fun, but my guess is the military guy she hooked up with. I wouldn't mind seeing Thatcher again; he hasn't been around since before Lexie died. 

re Amelia, I wonder if she and Owen hooked up again and she's pregnant and not telling anyone. 

But with Chris O'Donnell still in a starring role on NCIS: LA, would Finn have to be recast if he came back?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

But with Chris O'Donnell still in a starring role on NCIS: LA, would Finn have to be recast if he came back?

If he came back as a patient for an episode or two, Chris O'Donnell might be able to make it work.  In that instance, I would envision  his presence as a "trigger" for Meredith to take a walk down memory lane, assess her life, and so some soul-searching about who she is now and what she wants her life to be like in the future.

if a longer friendship/romance storyline were needed, then he could probably be recast, it's been quite a while and people do change and look different with the passing of time.  :)

On 16/09/2017 at 4:08 PM, Stacey1014 said:

Since they are starting up right where they left off at the end of season 13, I can't see how Amelia could possibly be pregnant considering she hasn't been at home in like 5 or 6 months. Unless there's a time jump between 14x02 and 14x03, but even that seems like a bit of a stretch.

I think (based on promo pics for 14x03) that Megan has a brain tumor and she can't tell Owen and Riggs for some reason.

I had another thought about who the "person from Meredith's past" patient might be:  Addison?

In the past, the actress has said she is not interested in reprising the role, but with recent health issues coming to light, and her desire for a lighter workload to heal, maybe she would be willing to guest star for an episode or two.

12 hours ago, Morksmate said:

Is this the second or third show title she's taken from Hamilton?  In either case, it works once....

Every episode is named after a song. Lots come from many of the same artists, so this isn't too odd. 

2 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

What if the person from Meredith's past was Christina?  

Man I would love if Christina came back. I've been watching old episodes, and I'd love to see the Twisted Sisters back together. Or Christina and Alex sparring off again. That's probably expecting too much. Christina would be back and share scenes with everyone except Alex and Mere.

8 hours ago, Morksmate said:

Well, since Sandra Oh is currently in another show, I doubt that is the case.

My guess is that it will end up being one of her more notable past patients.

Probably, but a brief role in one or two episodes could probably be accommodated if everyone was willing and flexible.

14x04 - On the episode “Ain’t That a Kick in the Head” – Amelia confronts a difficult situation, while Meredith deals with the fallout from her conversation with Nathan. Maggie finds herself at an awkward family dinner, Jackson receives big news, and Richard and Bailey search for the stars of tomorrow, on “Grey’s Anatomy,” THURSDAY, OCTOBER 12 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network.

Guest starring is Debbie Allen as Catherine Avery, Abigail Spencer as Megan Hunt, Stefania Spampinato as Carina DeLuca and Greg Germann as Tom Koracick.

So 14x07 is the 300th episode and 14x08 is the mid-season finale, which means we have 7 weeks of Grey's before the break (the premiere is 14x01 & 14x02). Also, one early episode will flashback to Iraq. 

Edited by BaseOps

From Variety: 

Since the tradition of “Grey’s” is to mix business with pleasure, of course there will be a couple of hook-ups in the premiere, including one for Arizona (Jessica Capshaw). While these characters never seem to learn that it would help to keep their personal and professional lives separate, or at least outside of the hospital’s walls, they provide some fodder for lighter moments that could keep the comedy infused all season.

So I'm guessing she definitely hooks up with DeLuca's sister. 

I missed the beginning of the episode tonight, so this may have been covered and I just missed it.  Does anyone else think/assume that the boy that Megan wants to go back and get in Iraq is really her birth child who was born during her captivity, probably the result of being raped by her captures?  There was a tv movie years ago that had a similar story, Teri Garr was a nurse during the Viet Nam war who was captured at the end of the war. After about 10 years, she was released or escaped with a young boy.  She went back to her husband or fiancee (I think played by Stacey Keach) who wanted to have her give up the kid.  Eventually he realized she was the kids birth mother and no way would she give him up, so he accepted and maybe adopted the kid.  Good movie, but haven't seen it in at least 10 to 15 years.  I think Greys will use that story ...

Just checked imdb, 1986, Intimate Strangers.

Edited by craziness
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, craziness said:

Does anyone else think/assume that the boy that Megan wants to go back and get in Iraq is really her birth child who was born during her captivity, probably the result of being raped by her captures? 

Yes, that was my first thought.

• Love 3

I definitely thought that too, but also liked that he was a Syrian refugee...which then made me confused at where Megan had been because I thought they were in Afghanistan when she disappeared. Was she in Iraq? Even so, I thought Syrian refugees were moving west away from the Middle East, not futher into it.

Sooooo, are they possibly setting up a mini return of Sandra Oh with Meredith showing her article off in the magazine to Maggie? Because I would kill for some Twisted Sisters, and also after tonight's episode I actually have a glimmer of hope for it.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I definitely thought that too, but also liked that he was a Syrian refugee...which then made me confused at where Megan had been because I thought they were in Afghanistan when she disappeared. Was she in Iraq? Even so, I thought Syrian refugees were moving west away from the Middle East, not futher into it.

I imagine that if the election had gone the other way he would not be a Syrian refugee.

• Love 1