Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

My bet for the death is definitely Wilmer. I'm fine with that. I don't want any regulars to die, honestly. I'd like to see some leave, but not die (but I'd be all for Penny dying.) We've had enough regulars killed off. At this point, so soon after Derek, it would just be ridiculous. I wonder what will cause tension between Meredith / Amelia that has to do with Derek? 

"Alex and Jo get clarification on their relationship status" lol so essentially we'll just see them get engaged in 12x23 and be done with it. 

Very happy that we seemingly have no disasters on the horizon, also. 

I think if it was a regular cast member someone dying would have be being hyped more. I thought Stephanie would leave with Wilmer but I guess he's toast. It makes sense since he's essentially Denny 2.0.  I guess it will be up to Jo to pick Stephanie up from Wilmer's bed. Or, maybe its someone like Cross who people barely remember is even on the show.

I wonder what will cause tension between Meredith / Amelia that has to do with Derek?

I'm dreading this. I'm not surprised though. The second Amelia moved back into that house I figured it would be to have someone for Meredith to yell at, lol.  

My hope is a piano falls on Penny.

Works for me!

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

I think if it was a regular cast member someone dying would have be being hyped more. I thought Stephanie would leave with Wilmer but I guess he's toast. It makes sense since he's essentially Denny 2.0.  I guess it will be up to Jo to pick Stephanie up from Wilmer's bed. Or, maybe its someone like Cross who people barely remember is even on the show.

I hope that Jo enlists Alex's help and in the middle of getting Steph off the bed, he mumbles "I'm getting too old for this shit." and drops her on her ass.  HA!

• Love 3

The PR for 12x23 has "Amelia and Owen taking their relationship to the next level" - have the two of them had sex? I feel like they did at some point, but their 'relationship' has been one giant blur to me. 

I'm so confused as to what they're doing with Riggs.

As everyone has said, obviously the sister is going to show up. But again, as others have pointed out, there's been next to no interaction with Meredith and Riggs, and it's been mostly Maggie and Riggs. Yet, I think Maggie will run screaming when the sister returns -- she's not dark and twisty Meredith, she was raised by normal parents in a normal environment. She also seems to be looking for something serious.

But this show has such a laissez-faire position on cheating that I wonder if they're setting it up so that next season, Riggs starts confiding in Meredith about any difficulties he has with newly returned Megan or something (given that Meredith as a widow with children may seem like she has a more grown-up perspective), and we gradually repeat the whole "Meredith falls for an unavailable man in an unhappy relationship." Since it's all but certain Megan will resurface, the only character that I think would even touch a complex relationship situation like that is Meredith.

I think Maggie is the transitional person, or the "brief chemistry test" relationship (like Alex/Lexie all those years ago), and for whatever reason, they don't really want to bring Meredith into Riggs' orbit until his relationship gets really complicated.

Or I could be totally wrong and they could be going Merlex 5ever.

I have no idea either. He is just there. 

Why on earth do the writers want him with Maggie all of  a sudden? Why did they put her with Deluca and not wait until Nathan arrived and the two of them might have developed a relationship, it would still have been boss and inferior relationship with Maggie, the same as she had with Deluca.  

I am not a fan of this possible pairing - Maggie and Nathan. I find Maggie too immature and childish, all her stupid vagina and sex talks  make me vomit. Also I do not see Nathan being interested in her romantically. Although I must say I loved how she stood up against  Hunt in the interrogation when he would have blamed Riggs for the baby´s death in a second. That was admirable from her.  And Meredith was just stupidly silent.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan
The PR for 12x23 has "Amelia and Owen taking their relationship to the next level" - have the two of them had sex? I feel like they did at some point, but their 'relationship' has been one giant blur to me

Guessing this means moving in together? Or getting engaged (LOL), but I can't see that happening.

It would be so interesting to see April lose this baby. Interesting is the wrong word, but if she and Jackson are reconnecting because of the baby, and suddenly the baby is gone...what does that mean? Do they go back to being happily divorced? Do they try and reconnect as a couple, without a baby? I'm sure Grey's will never go there, but I do think it would be fascinating (as an admitted April/Jackson fan).

Agree that Wilmer is the death. Denny is the most cited example, but Henry (Scott Foley) was another notable "patient charms a doctor, then dies" story. This is also most likely the impetus for Stephanie leaving (if she does) -- that she wants to roam free or explore life before she settles down in one hospital or whatever.

Too bad. I'm the party of one that actually likes Stephanie and would gladly lose Jo instead (impact on Alex not withstanding).

Too bad. I'm the party of one that actually likes Stephanie and would gladly lose Jo instead (impact on Alex not withstanding).

Jo dying might be best option to give Alex an actual storyline seeing as the writers don't care to give them anything together. 

Jo dying might be best option to give Alex an actual storyline seeing as the writers don't care to give them anything together.

Unfortunately I don't believe that Jo dying would do anything for Alex's character. More likely it would just continue the "storyline" he has going on now: support for Meredith and/or Maggie only this time as a love interest. Speaking only for myself, I would prefer Alex be the death if that's the case.

Jo and Alex get almost nothing, but I think that Jo is Alex's best chance of getting something that is about him. The second he gets put with any of the sisters he is done as a character with facets of his own. At least with Jo the potential is there.

• Love 1

Unfortunately I don't believe that Jo dying would do anything for Alex's character. More likely it would just continue the "storyline" he has going on now: support for Meredith and/or Maggie only this time as a love interest. Speaking only for myself, I would prefer Alex be the death if that's the case.

Jo and Alex get almost nothing, but I think that Jo is Alex's best chance of getting something that is about him. The second he gets put with any of the sisters he is done as a character with facets of his own. At least with Jo the potential is there.

Maybe. But honestly I've never cared much about Jo. She's fine, but the only reason I've grown to like her even a little bit is the connection to Alex. The writers clearly don't know what to do with her or don't care. And Jo leaving or dying doesn't necessarily mean he has to end up with one of the sisters. I'm sure if we lose any characters this year they'll continue the trend of adding 4 more next year. I don't think Alex / Meredith as a couple is ever going to happen, I'm not really worried about it. 

• Love 1

I expanded on my post in the Alex thread so anyone interested can go there to read it.  I do think that if Jo leaves its so Alex can get hooked up with someone already there.  No way will they bring someone else on for him.  

• Love 1

Maybe Alex is the one who gets bumped off.

I really don't think Jo or Alex are getting killed off. I doubt any regulars will die this season. Obviously I could be very wrong, but they insinuated that the death happened before the finale and we know that Camilla was around for the finale table read, so.... 

My guess remains Wilmer's character, although MS doesn't really kill per say, so it would have to be some type of complication that arises. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2

So it seems in 1223 Meredith and Amelia are fighting again, Meredith most definitely throws her out, Amelia is homeless again and she finally buys a house or flat for her and Owen. Another dwelling for Owen which his women buy him. Finally, he will move out of that trailer.  

• Love 1

I really don't think Jo or Alex are getting killed off. I doubt any regulars will die this season. Obviously I could be very wrong, but they insinuated that the death happened before the finale and we know that Camilla was around for the finale table read, so....

My guess remains Wilmer's character, although MS doesn't really kill per say, so it would have to be some type of complication that arises.

Yeah my guess is Wilmer's character dies, Stephanie has the sads, and Jo puts on the ring at the end of the episode because it's all so tragic.

Can't say the finale sounds interesting.

What if Izzie is the one who died? Maybe her brain cancer comes back. They can totally have her die off screen.

That's a great thought.  I'm not sure they'd bother since Alex gets so little outside of Meredith these days. 

Grey's Anatomy Cast Hints at 'Potential Disaster' in Season Finale

Seems quite a bit exaggerated, as I don't think they mean a 'disaster' in the sense of a bomb, shooting, etc.

In fact, Henderson tells a bit of a different story: 

Meanwhile, Grey’s newbie Martin Henderson (Nathan) paints a far rosier finale picture, calling the Debbie Allen-directed episode (which is currently in production) “pretty positive” overall. “There are a lot of positive things that come out of the final episode,” he shares. “There’s a lot of humor and some very funny scenes.”

And while Henderson acknowledges that there’s also “some tragedy,” he notes, “It feels like it ends on a really upbeat and optimistic note.”

Promo shots for 12x23

We've got Alex / Mer scene (does she tell him to hurry up and put a ring on it? lol I know a few posters here would love that), Jo on Amelia's service, Maggie / Riggs, and a surgery with Mer / Alex / Jackson / Riggs. 

16 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I've still a horrible feeling the season finale will hint at a possible Merlex romance. It's just too obvious at this point.

There's a tv guide interview floating around twitter (just a photo of it from the magazine; article not online yet) where Ellen says Meredith is dipping into dating but its not Alex.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, windsprints said:

There's a tv guide interview floating around twitter (just a photo of it from the magazine; article not online yet) where Ellen says Meredith is dipping into dating but its not Alex.

I just read that interview and loved it. I especially like EP pointing out how she struggled with the scene of Mer kicking Thrope out of bed and called it 'a bit dramatic'. She seems to be more level-headed than the writers. She also says she's against Mer / Alex as a couple because of their friendship and says Meredith is in a 'dark place' when she hooks up with someone else (sounds like Riggs to me.) 

Here's a link to the scans for anyone interested: 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

I just read that interview and loved it. I especially like EP pointing out how she struggled with the scene of Mer kicking Thrope out of bed and called it 'a bit dramatic'. She seems to be more level-headed than the writers. She also says she's against Mer / Alex as a couple because of their friendship and says Meredith is in a 'dark place' when she hooks up with someone else (sounds like Riggs to me.) 

Here's a link to the scans for anyone interested: 

Thank you BaseOps.

Is it Riggs?

Edited by NathanRiggsfan
22 minutes ago, NathanRiggsfan said:

Thank you BaseOps.

Is it Riggs?

Considering she says "it's not too hard to guess who it is" and it ISN'T Alex, that really only leaves Riggs, right? It definitely isn't Owen, Richard, Jackson and I'd be SUPER surprised if it were DeLuca, so I'd say Riggs is a safe bet. I wonder how they're going to build up to it. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

Considering she says "it's not too hard to guess who it is" and it ISN'T Alex, that really only leaves Riggs, right? It definitely isn't Owen, Richard, Jackson and I'd be SUPER surprised if it were DeLuca, so I'd say Riggs is a safe bet. I wonder how they're going to build up to it. 

I agree, it's nearly certain it will be Riggs.  What surprises me is that they are making their hookup, or at least Meredith, be "dark and twisty" when this plays out.  I would have expected the eventual Mer/Riggs pairing to be lighthearted and positive.  I'm defnitely interested to see how it plays out.  

Also, Ellen Pompeo said the finale was going to be "wet" and then she posted a pic of her looking like she was out in the rain or something.  Someone from the crew also posted a pic of "making it rain".  I guess we're getting a major storm type thing like season 9 finale.  

• Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to pull the ol' bait and switch with Meredith and Nathan, because as of right now it looks like Nathan could potentially be smooching on Maggie if only because they've had a couple of nice moments in the past couple episode. But if Meredith is going to be in a dark place, and presumably it will have something to do with Meredith vs. Amelia Part 17, and if Amelia and Owen are in happy land then Meredith and Nathan, who have their separate issues with Amelia and Owen respectively, it's not hard to figure out that those two will hook up. 

And also because they hired Martin not very long after Patrick's exit, and I've always believed it was for the purpose of being Meredith's love interest. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Greysaddict said:

I agree, it's nearly certain it will be Riggs.  What surprises me is that they are making their hookup, or at least Meredith, be "dark and twisty" when this plays out.  I would have expected the eventual Mer/Riggs pairing to be lighthearted and positive.  I'm defnitely interested to see how it plays out.  

Also, Ellen Pompeo said the finale was going to be "wet" and then she posted a pic of her looking like she was out in the rain or something.  Someone from the crew also posted a pic of "making it rain".  I guess we're getting a major storm type thing like season 9 finale.  

I wish it wasn't so predictable. Maybe the circumstances that lead up to it will be somewhat surprising but Meredith being "dark & twisty" happens often enough that its really not. Could it be the anniversary of Derek's death (on the show, I know the actual air date passed)? If its not Wilmer who kicks it a death could also make her dark & twisty.

I think the only reason it's slightly predictable is because of when Riggs came on. As soon as they announced a good-looking male entering the show, everyone assumed 'he's for Meredith' (myself included.) Onscreen, there's been nothing really hinting at Riggs / Meredith, which I like. We're 20 episodes into the season and Riggs has been given moments with several other characters over Meredith (Owen, Amelia, Maggie, April, etc.) I'm glad they didn't just push Mer / Riggs early on and I'm actually excited to see how they end up coming together considering there's been so little build-up. 

31 minutes ago, windsprints said:

I wish it wasn't so predictable. Maybe the circumstances that lead up to it will be somewhat surprising but Meredith being "dark & twisty" happens often enough that its really not. Could it be the anniversary of Derek's death (on the show, I know the actual air date passed)? If its not Wilmer who kicks it a death could also make her dark & twisty.

The anniversary of Derek's death could be interesting... I guess it would be 2 years since his passing. We know that there will be an Amelia / Mer rift again and that it somehow involves Derek, so I'm guessing that's what leaves her dark and twisty somehow. I'm starting to believe it's maybe not Kyle who dies... MS doesn't suddenly kill. Complications can arise, and we know his situation will advance this week, but it'd be pretty out there for him to go from relatively okay to suddenly dying. From my experience, that's just now how MS works. But who else could they possibly kill off? I don't believe it will be a regular, but I could be wrong. I'm guessing something happens at the end of 12x23. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BaseOps said:

I think the only reason it's slightly predictable is because of when Riggs came on. As soon as they announced a good-looking male entering the show, everyone assumed 'he's for Meredith' (myself included.) Onscreen, there's been nothing really hinting at Riggs / Meredith, which I like. We're 20 episodes into the season and Riggs has been given moments with several other characters over Meredith (Owen, Amelia, Maggie, April, etc.) I'm glad they didn't just push Mer / Riggs early on and I'm actually excited to see how they end up coming together considering there's been so little build-up. 

The anniversary of Derek's death could be interesting... I guess it would be 2 years since his passing. We know that there will be an Amelia / Mer rift again and that it somehow involves Derek, so I'm guessing that's what leaves her dark and twisty somehow. I'm starting to believe it's maybe not Kyle who dies... MS doesn't suddenly kill. Complications can arise, and we know his situation will advance this week, but it'd be pretty out there for him to go from relatively okay to suddenly dying. From my experience, that's just now how MS works. But who else could they possibly kill off? I don't believe it will be a regular, but I could be wrong. I'm guessing something happens at the end of 12x23. 

I agree, it feels exciting. 

I wonder if the way they come together/kiss is the rain being involved and whether her being in a dark place is literal and not a metaphore of her state of mind.

So Thorpe was a transitional guy indeed. 

Edited by NathanRiggsfan
3 hours ago, BaseOps said:

It really either needs to be Kyle or some other kind of twist (Izzie dying offscreen).  One more doctor at this hospital dying of anything other than suicide is just beyond soapy and venturing into complete stupidity, even for this show.  I don't care if its Penny, Cross or some other almost never seen doctor, it is just beyond being even remotely believable at this point, so it HAS to be a patient.

Apparently they have been shooting some of the finale in a church, so that could be a funeral (for Kyle or Megan or whoever) or a baptism for Japril's baby, which of course will require a timejump, which is also not the smartest thing for the writers to do, but it does seem like their go-to these days.  Of course, I expect that April will be having her baby in the finale (also requiring a timejump) under the most dire circumstances imaginable, so it probably isn't a baptism.

I think the only reason it's slightly predictable is because of when Riggs came on. As soon as they announced a good-looking male entering the show, everyone assumed 'he's for Meredith' (myself included.) 

For me it was predicable because Nathan was given the sad widower backstory to Meredith's sad widow. I don't think its any different than Jo being given a backstory making her a match for Alex.  Alex/Jo getting together was predictable (for me) as is Meredith/Nathan (for me). Jo dated Peckwell, Meredith hates Riggs because Owen told her too - all just delaying when the couples actually connect/hook up. 

The church could also be a flashback. 

Fresh speculation re Callie's departure

JustinChambersOnline tweeted a screen shot of what Sara tweeted at the end of S10 (I think it was S10) and it was really similar. Callie may be leaving but I really don't think Sara's tweet was anything other than a "done for the season" kind of tweet. JMO.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, windsprints said:

For me it was predicable because Nathan was given the sad widower backstory to Meredith's sad widow. I don't think its any different than Jo being given a backstory making her a match for Alex.  Alex/Jo getting together was predictable (for me) as is Meredith/Nathan (for me). Jo dated Peckwell, Meredith hates Riggs because Owen told her too - all just delaying when the couples actually connect/hook up. 

The church could also be a flashback. 

True. I guess I never thought of him having a sad widower backstory, probably because I feel like Meghan is eventually going to show up. I also don't think they were ever married (although the story is foggy to me) but I do see your connection there. Alex / Jo felt a lot more obvious to me, just because onscreen I've never really felt like they were pushing Mer / Riggs together. At the end of the day I'm just glad they took their time before pushing them together or putting Meredith with anyone serious. I guess their blooming - and sure to be on-again-off-again - romance will be at the heart of S13. 

Maybe the funeral is for Meghan who is discovered dead so they really push the parallel hard and thus... Merethan? Naredeth? Griggs? 

On 27. 4. 2016 at 6:53 PM, Greysaddict said:

There were some hints for Meredith/Riggs earlier on - the elevator scene and especially 1212 but even stronger potential vibes with him and Maggie possibly,I cannot imagine how it plays out  in 23 or 24 because both Riggs and Meredith are miles apart at the moment to even come to a point where they hook up or kiss or whatever it will be.

Based on promo pictures from 23, I would say Riggs and Maggie are closer to a kiss than Meredith and him. Who wrote the finale??? Rhimes?

Scorsone said on twitter she was wet,too, at that time as Pompeo tweeted that shot of her wet hair,so they both must be in a scene in the rain in the ambulance bay. I think that might be where Meredith and Amelia clash.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

Jerrika posted a snapchat of her at the church is its either Kyles funeral or jolex are getting married and she's a bridesmaid.  

Callie said that Penny's grant was a few months away. I'm sure Penny will leave in the finale, so I guessing a time jump between now and the finale of 3 or 4 months.  Which would put it at the time for April to deliver. 

7 minutes ago, aprilbabe said:

Jerrika posted a snapchat of her at the church is its either Kyles funeral or jolex are getting married and she's a bridesmaid.  

Callie said that Penny's grant was a few months away. I'm sure Penny will leave in the finale, so I guessing a time jump between now and the finale of 3 or 4 months.  Which would put it at the time for April to deliver. 

A time jump between 23 and 24?

33 minutes ago, NathanRiggsfan said:

A time jump between 23 and 24?

I just the the time between now and the finale will span a couple months to the point where its time for Penny to leave and April to give birth.  Which I don't think will be too hard. Ben mentioned he had been out of work for weeks in last week episode, so there was probably 3 to 4 week gap between 1219 and 1220

I don't know if there will be a time jump, at least a significant one....they often jump a few weeks in time between episodes with little mention.  

I think its most likely a wedding.  Debbie Allen posted this video last week when Prince died when they were already on to finale and April looks certainty pregnant but not ready to pop.  Bailey looks like she could be dressed for a wedding.  

IDK she looks "tv" 9 months pregnant, She looks about the same size Meredith was when she had Bailey.

IDK she looks "tv" 9 months pregnant, She looks about the same size Meredith was when she had Bailey.

If its a wedding I hope its anyone other than Jolex. After a season with no story it would suck if a wedding was slapped in with a couple of scenes in the finale. LOL, which is probably how it will go down. Maybe even during a musical montage so we'll see 14 seconds of the wedding after an episode filled with Penny and Meredith's Darkness of the Week.

Whatever it is, Bailey's dress rules out a funeral IMO. One other thought is that its a christening for the Japril baby. Sarah said (see media thread) there will be lots of drama for Japril and others (I think Martin was one) said that the season ends on a note of hope. I could see all kinds of drama around the birth, small jump then Japril's season ends with the baby's christening. I think its possible the church is related to Japril because its the church where they were married. I know that it may not matter & that they could make it look different.  However, there's no shortage of churches in the LA area and I'm sure they could find another venue for a wedding if that is what it is. I also don't see Jolex marrying in a church. 

Well, if they do a time jump between 23-24, then Nathan and Mer could kiss in 23 and enough time will have passed for her to care when Megan shows up in 24; April can have her baby under some sort of dire circumstance; Callie and Penny can leave in 23 and then Callie can come back in 24 if SR isn't leaving; Stephanie can get even more attached to Kyle just in time for him to die (funeral at the church) or *sigh* Alex and Jo can get engaged in 23 and then married in 24, without wasting any time for details like conversations.  In other words, the majority of stuff that happens between 23 and 24 will be offscreen for most of the characters.

With all of the time jumps, what year is it in Grey's time, 2017-2018?  Owen and Amelia will still be figuring out their relationship and Jo, Stephanie and Ben will be in their 9th year of residency.

• Love 2

interesting that its the same church Japril got married in....wasn't that church supposed to be in Lake Tahoe? Maybe it's just an exterior  that easy for TV production/shooting when they need a church.  

I think Callie leaving with Penny is going to be the "cliffhanger" of the season.  And then we'll have to wait until next season to see whether she is returning or not.  I mean the general public because I am sure spoilers will be leaked.  

I read on Twitter that it wasn't actually the church that Japril got married in, it was actually the church where that patient friend of Jackson's got married (from the Japril centric episode).  I don't know if its true or if that means anything.  I am holding on to the hope that no way would Alex and Jo get married in a big church ceremony.

Japril got married on the steps of the church, Sarah also confirmed they got married at a church. Its the same one.

Anyway there are some fan pics and Owen and Nathan are also at the church along with Jerrika. Debbie Allen is there but she directing the episode, BUT she's all dressed up. I can't figure out what they are filming.

Debbie is for sure dressed up for whatever event is happening at the church.  Based on the earlier video i think it can't be something related to the Japril baby (April is still pregnant while Bailey is dressed for whatever).  Its got to be a wedding.  Jolex is the obvious but I saw some chatter on Twitter than people are thinking Steph/Kyle?  That would be weird.  

Yea I think its a wedding. And I am not convinced its in the finale. Sarah is doing a live chat on twitter. She said she just wrapped for the day and is still in her trailer, there is a pic of her on the church set.  And in another tweet she says she hasn't started to film the finale yet. Which makes me think whatever she filmed in the church, wasn't for the finale. If its a wedding the title of 12x23 "At last" matches.  Catherine could be their as Webbers date.

3 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

Well, if they do a time jump between 23-24, then Nathan and Mer could kiss in 23 and enough time will have passed for her to care when Megan shows up in 24; April can have her baby under some sort of dire circumstance; Callie and Penny can leave in 23 and then Callie can come back in 24 if SR isn't leaving; Stephanie can get even more attached to Kyle just in time for him to die (funeral at the church) or *sigh* Alex and Jo can get engaged in 23 and then married in 24, without wasting any time for details like conversations.  In other words, the majority of stuff that happens between 23 and 24 will be offscreen for most of the characters.

With all of the time jumps, what year is it in Grey's time, 2017-2018?  Owen and Amelia will still be figuring out their relationship and Jo, Stephanie and Ben will be in their 9th year of residency.

If Sara is leaving, it could be Callie and Penny getting married -- the happy ending Shonda said 'all her characters will have'. 

1 hour ago, Greysaddict said:

Debbie is for sure dressed up for whatever event is happening at the church.  Based on the earlier video i think it can't be something related to the Japril baby (April is still pregnant while Bailey is dressed for whatever).  Its got to be a wedding.  Jolex is the obvious but I saw some chatter on Twitter than people are thinking Steph/Kyle?  That would be weird.  

What about a second wedding for Japril? They could remarry prior to the baby being born.

• Love 1