Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Hurry Up and Weight

I figured I'd start a topic, because while this show is pretty boring I'm still watching ... maybe cause I'm soon to be married myself? I dunno. 

Random thoughts:

- Enough with the pregnancy health cliffhangers!

- I had to mute Laura's reading because I can't stand her so much.

- I'm beginning to really feel bad for Sam, because Laura seems like such a cold fish.

- Kirk and Laura are very sweet and I can really relate to his weight problems. But the car is dumb.

- Nadine's teeth brushing method is bizarre but I'm glad Erik thinks it's cute. (But it's not cute! It's not!)

Agreed re: the pregnancy cliffhangers; it's getting to be too much.

Is it just me, or was Laura's writing not good at all? Or maybe it's just that I can't stand her. However, she and Sam fascinate me because they seem so wrong for each other and dysfunctional.

Kirk and Laura are cute. Same with Toi/Rouvaun. Not much else to say about them.

Then there's Nadine and Erik. I don't think Nadine was playing up her anxieties for the camera. She seemed truly distraught. I felt bad for her! 

This is probably just a Bravo thing, but why is everyone they profile upper-middle-class to flat-out rich? Sam's family money, Erik and Nadine's 50K travel budget... I wouldn't mind seeing a middle-class couple. 

• Love 1

These couples this time are really boring! But very wealthy, I wish they would showcase regular couples who have to live paycheck to paycheck.

And I agree too much focus has been on pregnancy drama and cliffhangers.

I do like Toi and Rouvan, they seem like a very nice couple and I hope Toi's business succeeds.

I feel so bad for Nadine because although I have never been pregnant, I have all the same fears she does of c-sections and complications, etc.  I imagine adding pregnancy hormones into the mix can make you a basket case, and then to have the blood clot in the placenta.  Must be so hard.  I'm hoping everything turned out okay in the end, or else they wouldn't have made it into such a ridiculous and insensitive cliffhanger.

What we heard of Laura's story did sound pretty mediocre, but since it was just a few sentences taken out of context I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I think this is the entire story Laura was reading:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lauraleighabby/regaining-symmetry-and-beauty-after-losing-an-ear

More samples of her writing can be found here:

https://lauraleighabby.contently.com

I don't think it's bad. It's soild enough writing. Just very typical of the creative non-fiction personal essay style that is very popular (too popular in my opinion) at MFA programs right now. I'm a little surprised she won an award though, because I don't think it's particularly good either. My guess is the jury liked her subject matter, which is one of my issues with creative non-fiction programs. I feel like it becomes a contest over who has the worst life instead of the best writting.

Surprisingly Laura and Kirk are growing on me.

• Love 3

I have to say I really enjoyed Laura's story.  When I watch her on the show, she seems so laid back and cavilier about her ear surgery that it was quite eye opening to read about what an ordeal it actually was.  It also made me appreciate their relationship more, reading about Sam emptying her drains every night.  That's sweet.

Not much to say about the other couples except that Kirk is growing on me and Laura is such a good match for him.  She's so easy going and understanding of his quirks and I think he really does love her and appreciate that about her.

• Love 1

I think Nadine is truly scared as she should be with the blood clot but when they were at the birthing classes she needed to buck up.  Girl, you gotta get it together.  It reminds me of an episode of Rosanne when her sister Jackie realizes that "This(belly) has to come out of here(vagina)!"  I have never and will never have a baby but I think that realization does hit at some point. 

I like Laura(Kirk and Laura).  At first I thought she was emotionless but she now seems to have a calming personality and she is a good match for douchy Kirk. What's with his bug eyes when he wakes up?  He looks like he saw a ghost. 

I think Nadine is truly scared as she should be with the blood clot but when they were at the birthing classes she needed to buck up. Girl, you gotta get it together. It reminds me of an episode of Rosanne when her sister Jackie realizes that "This(belly) has to come out of here(vagina)!" I have never and will never have a baby but I think that realization does hit at some point.

I like Laura(Kirk and Laura). At first I thought she was emotionless but she now seems to have a calming personality and she is a good match for douchy Kirk. What's with his bug eyes when he wakes up? He looks like he saw a ghost.

I can relate to Nadine's fear this one time. I have had moments in my life of wanting to be a mother, but I have never had a single second of wanting to be pregnant or give birth. Ever. The whole thing sounds terrifying.

• Love 1

I can relate to Nadine's fear this one time. I have had moments in my life of wanting to be a mother, but I have never had a single second of wanting to be pregnant or give birth. Ever. The whole thing sounds terrifying.

Yeah, babies don't come cheap. Kiss your mother today!

• Love 2

I was terrified the first time I was pregnant, so I completely understand Nadine's fear (and I don't like her at all). It's really freaky. But, it was just fine and once I was in it, i wasn't scared. By the second pregnancy, I was actually looking forward to the birth. The anticipation is many times worse than reality (barring complications, of course). The unknown adds to fear.

Laura (Sam's Laura)- slightly more likeable this time. It's not because of her story but she just seemed warmer, I guess. I still don't enjoy her and I, like everyone else it seems, question their relationship.

Rouvan- please marry me. Oh, that's right, we're both happily married. Ok, just be my friend.

Kirk- I wonder why he came off so off putting and douchey the first few episodes. Maybe the miscarriage softened him?

• Love 1

I was terrified the first time I was pregnant, so I completely understand Nadine's fear (and I don't like her at all). It's really freaky. But, it was just fine and once I was in it, i wasn't scared. By the second pregnancy, I was actually looking forward to the birth. The anticipation is many times worse than reality (barring complications, of course). The unknown adds to fear.

Laura (Sam's Laura)- slightly more likeable this time. It's not because of her story but she just seemed warmer, I guess. I still don't enjoy her and I, like everyone else it seems, question their relationship.

Rouvan- please marry me. Oh, that's right, we're both happily married. Ok, just be my friend.

Kirk- I wonder why he came off so off putting and douchey the first few episodes. Maybe the miscarriage softened him?

Want to make a friendship triangle with Rouvan? 

I think Kirk at first was probably putting on a show for the cameras a bit, playing it up. Since its almost been a year of filming I think he let his guard down a bit 

Hope everything goes well for Nadine.Why are all these people growing on me? Why???

• Love 2

Nothing Nadine does is cute and I am so tired of the over the top everything. Scared of everything, worried about everything, over emphasizing everything. Funny to me because in the very first episode I thought I would like her but not so much.

I think Kirk comes across as just as douchey as before. Maybe we're just more understanding after watching him and Laura suffer through a miscarriage.

Toi and Rouvan still bug me for some reason. At times they could be my buds and others I want to put them on a plane, with Nadine and Erik, and send them far far away from tv cameras :P

Still liking Sam and Laura. I just "get" them I guess.

Want to make a friendship triangle with Rouvan?

I think Kirk at first was probably putting on a show for the cameras a bit, playing it up. Since its almost been a year of filming I think he let his guard down a bit

Hope everything goes well for Nadine.Why are all these people growing on me? Why???

ok, I'll share Rouvan (I say, begrudgingly) :-)

• Love 2

Is it just me, or was Laura's writing not good at all? Or maybe it's just that I can't stand her. However, she and Sam fascinate me because they seem so wrong for each other and dysfunctional.

I admit to fast forwarding through the other couples scenes, just for the messy/awkward Sam and Laura scenes. 

(edited)

A little OT, but it really bugged me when the instructor of the birthing class was basically trying to scare everyone about c-sections. If you end up needing one, you want to be prepared and informed. Saying that you'd be in bed for 12 hours (no hospital will keep you in bed for 12 hours post-surgery unless you have physical limitations preventing you from standing/walking - they want you to ambulate asap once the epidural wears off/you aren't too drugged to move about safely) and being all dramatic about holding the scar, getting the Foley out, etc. I just didn't understand the purpose of that. C-sections may not be ideal, but they're not the end of the world and while tough, the recovery can be handled. That was just annoying lol. I think she should have helped them to accept that it could happen and armed them with the information they need to get through it it does.

Edited by Harperlee1
  • Love 7
(edited)

A little OT, but it really bugged me when the instructor of the birthing class was basically trying to scare everyone about c-sections. If you end up needing one, you want to be prepared and informed. Saying that you'd be in bed for 12 hours (no hospital will keep you in bed for 12 hours post-surgery unless you have physical limitations preventing you from standing/walking - they want you to ambulate asap once the epidural wears off/you aren't too drugged to move about safely) and being all dramatic about holding the scar, getting the Foley out, etc. I just didn't understand the purpose of that. C-sections may not be ideal, but they're not the end of the world and while tough, the recovery can be handled. That was just annoying lol. I think she should have helped them to accept that it could happen and armed them with the information they need to get through it it does.

I thought the instructor was awful & condescending. Surely Nadine wasn't the only pregnant woman to feel light headed or unwell during one of those things. Her "Really?!"

and "oh, you ARE clammy." was so rude.

Edited by DeeplyShallow
  • Love 5

I thought the instructor was awful & condescending. Surely Nadine wasn't the only pregnant woman to feel light headed or unwell during one of those things. Her "Really?!"

and "oh, you ARE clammy." was so rude.

Oh I HATED that woman. I doubt many women would go to the trouble of taking birthing class if they are dead set on a c-section. Everyone there wanted a natural birth so why scare the shit out of everyone about a c-section? My sister had 2 and while it wasn't her first option it was better than dyeing in childbirth, which was her other option.

• Love 8

I had an unplanned C-Section.  After 18 hours of labor, I was so happy to be wheeled in for it.  I had a great experience with it and no complications.  I've had friends tell me how sorry they were that I had to go through a C Section but honestly, it was fine.  We do what we have to do.  

• Love 3