Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Episode Ten

Revelations from Aubry's recent statements have far-reaching implications as new and damaging allegations against Matt Skokie's role in the incident come to light. This setback is finally one that from which Barb will be unable to recover, leaving Russ to pick up the fight. Carter is handed a new lease on life while Hector's prospects turn for the worst after Aubry's account renders his testimony regarding Carter and the murder weapon inconsequential. Hector's immediately deported and turned over to the Mexican authorities. Elsewhere, though Alonzo struggles to find character witnesses for Tony's upcoming hearing, his family unifies.

I don't understand why Mark is spending so much time with Gwen who was involved with drugs and screwing around with his brother, while he just spews hate towards his parents. I don't know what to think about Aubrey but the actress is doing a good job. The only people I like even a little bit here is Russ and Tony's dad who are trying to be decent.

I feel sorry for Barb and I hate feeling sorry for a racist. But being a parent is always a thankless job, you will always get blamed for everything and anything that happens in your children's lives, and the sad part is you have zero control on how your children will turn out. I'm sure Carter will be pretty upset when he finds out Aubrey confessed. At this point, I have no idea how the end will play out.

I also have no idea why Gwen was kept alive. She remembers nothing, adds nothing to the plot and other than having her parents show up to be general assholes, there is no reason for her to be on the show at all.

• Love 2

The only thing I can think of with Mark and Gwen is maybe he knew his brother was beating her, and some how he is trying to make up for it.  

I have no idea how this is going to play out either.  It's been a great show, hoping we get another season next year.  

The acting has been top notch all the way around.

• Love 2

As awful and destructive as Aubrey has been this season, I have to give her props for stepping up and owning her life.

Most of the players stories are coming to a close in this show, but I hope that Gwen doesn't get a nice bow. I want a program that shows that damage lingers for years and it might get worse.

• Love 1

So many broken people.

Ultimately we'll all put our own interpretations on the story this excellent series is telling, but as the plot turned its arc last night it seemed to me that the most important message the writers are trying to convey doesn't have much to do with the story of the actual American crime portrayed.  In my interpretation, the crime is the just the focal point used to examine the values being taught in families.  Where those values are/were strong and positive, we got the sense last evening that the families will ultimately survive.  Where the values were narrow and perverted, the families and individuals will probably fail.  Cases in point:  Barb is a racist, and while she did everything for her children, you sense that both of those boys cruelly jumped the rails and that she won't make it either.  Alonzo also did everything for his children and while they both have strayed a little, last night's episode made it clear that they and the family will be OK because of the love and positive desire to achieve good in that family.   Aliyah's goodness may or may not save Carter, but the potential is there.  And the episode made clear that Aubry is a lost cause, whether or not she was raped or is the killer.  Last night we were told of her early years in the horrific family situation that doomed her.

I am so glad that I found this show.  Felicity Huffman deserves an Emmy for her portrayal of Barb, and the writers do too.  Yes, the film editing is jumpy and too distractingly self-conscious, but all in all I believe that this series is an example of the best television can be.  I'll be sad when it ends.

• Love 6

Whatever this series' faults, the acting has been extraordinary. But the only way I will be totally satisfied is if they spend the final 10 minutes showing what really happened. 

• Love 9
Last night we were told of her early years in the horrific family situation that doomed her.

Notice how the evaluator really didn't care if she was abused or raped by her brother. Just wanted to know if that was her motivation for doing harm to others.

• Love 2

Eh. 

I enjoyed the scenes with Barb and Russ.  

I think Mark must have been in love with Gwen and one of her affairs, perhaps.  That is the only reason I can see as to why he is attending to her. 

I was glad to see Tony's case dropped. 

Yes, the acting is good but I expect that.  

I don't find this thought provoking or interesting enough to look more deeply into the vision/purpose.  

One more episode!  I am not expecting any conclusion, just interested in how they will end it.  My guess is we will be left hanging.  

• Love 4
(edited)

The only thing I can think of with Mark and Gwen is maybe he knew his brother was beating her, and some how he is trying to make up for it.  

I have no idea how this is going to play out either.  It's been a great show, hoping we get another season next year.  

I think he sees her as a victim of his dysfunctional family, just like him and his brother.

I liked the dialogue between Mark and Barb.  I can relate to that conversation.  I think he loves his parents, but I think he needs to release himself from the responsibility of the requirement to love them.....as he defines it.  He loves them.  If he didn't, why in the heck is he there?

Maybe the all need to release (forgive) themselves and each other for past transgressions.  All of the actors did a great job of portraying that there is something still there between them.

.  Alonzo also did everything for his children and while they both have strayed a little, last night's episode made it clear that they and the family will be OK because of the love and positive desire to achieve good in that family.   Aliyah's goodness may or may not save Carter, but the potential is there.  And the episode made clear that Aubry is a lost cause, whether or not she was raped or is the killer.  Last night we were told of her early years in the horrific family situation that doomed her.

I think Carter is lost.  He has been sucked into loving Aubry and that will be his undoing.  It won't be good when he finds out Aubry confessed.

The interesting thing about Aubry's family is that there is still hope and they still love their child.  Her mother is mad and devastated, but she is present.  Her father is mad and hopeful and devastated, but he is seeing it through as well.  Its sad that she was so broken when she got to them that she never saw how much they loved her and were willing to do whatever it took to save her.

Edited by ToukieSmith

I noticed that there are only nine comments after two days. It shows that the thing was a brilliantly acted gilded turd which is a politically correct and vicious attack on white people and all that stand for.

• Love 1

No, it shows that the people who visit this particular forum didn't like this show so much.  To infer that what happens in this corner of the internet reflects the views of the entire TV watching audience is a gross misunderstanding of statistics.

• Love 9

No, it shows that the people who visit this particular forum didn't like this show so much. To infer that what happens in this corner of the internet reflects the views of the entire TV watching audience is a gross misunderstanding of statistics.

I'm delurking just to quote this for truth.

• Love 6

I noticed that there are only nine comments after two days. It shows that the thing was a brilliantly acted gilded turd which is a politically correct and vicious attack on white people and all that stand for.

I don't see this show as an attack on any particular segment of the population. All of the characters have faults, and all of them have done things to evoke sympathy. The only person I see as unredeemable is Aubrey - she's just caused way too much destruction.

• Love 2

Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing re: Mark and Gwen.  Not necessarily that he knew Matt was beating her, but that whatever issues his family has, has pretty much infected Gwen and her family (in his mind) and he feels sorry for her.

Whatever this series' faults, the acting has been extraordinary. But the only way I will be totally satisfied is if they spend the final 10 minutes showing what really happened. 

I agree.  I actually want to know what really happened.

• Love 2

No, it shows that the people who visit this particular forum didn't like this show so much.  To infer that what happens in this corner of the internet reflects the views of the entire TV watching audience is a gross misunderstanding of statistics.

I'm still watching, but I'm not commenting as much as I feel I don't have much to add to what's been said. Ultimately I guess I like this show. I think about it a bit between episodes. The acting is good and I like the subject matter. I think race relations is an important topic especially right now but I cannot get past some of the ham handed writing. The acting and the content deserve better. I really don't think it slams on a particular group. If anything it shows that people are more similiar than different. And I too want to know what happened, dammit!

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't care if Hector is guilty of anything but the way he was interviewed in his undies was extremely demeaning. Even he deserved better.

I like Hector—he's self-aware and has regrets. For example, he knows he's unemployable with that neck tat. And he's had a Russ-like breakthrough at a much earlier age. Hector wants to do right by his child and by her mother—his family.

Lili Taylor's character is so flat & boring—which is especially surprising because I'm a fan. I had to go to IMDB to find the character's name (Nancy Straumburg), and I think she's a victim rights advocate of some kind? I know she lost a child to violent crime, and she's the closest thing Barb has to a friend. But I tune out whenever she's on.

And it's not just Barb + Nancy = snooze. When Nancy was telling Russ about wanting to shoot herself, all I could think was how much better Olive Kitteridge handled similar material. Maybe because it was written by a woman? (I honestly don't know. I'm just puzzled.)

Edited by editorgrrl

Just caught this episode on Saturday. I have really enjoyed this show, and the complexities of all the characters. Felicity Huffman is amazing, she made me go from hating Barb to pitying her, such a sad woman. I can't imagine the devastation of having your only living child reject you. She has nothing to live for, truly sad. Glad to see Tony's sister tell the judge what her brother's real motivations were. That was powerful. Don't really care what happens to Carter he is such a lame character. I actually have more respect for Aubrey now, whether she really did it or took the fall to save Carter, she owned up. Heartbreaking to hear her detail her early abuse to that awful evaluator. Just shows the life long damage child abuse has on a person.

I've really enjoyed this show's ups and downs, and the acting caliber is outstanding. Glad to hear it's been renewed.

• Love 4

I completely disagree with this comment.  I don't see this as a "vicious attack on white people".  I find the stories compelling.  I know another white woman who is a "Barb" and I know a black man who is also a "Barb".  The race and gender roles could be entirely interchanged and you would still find these people in our society, dealing with the similar issues. 

I agree that Felicity Huffman is absolutely amazing in her role in this series.

• Love 7

I don't see this as a "vicious attack on white people".  I find the stories compelling.  I know another white woman who is a "Barb" and I know a black man who is also a "Barb".  The race and gender roles could be entirely interchanged and you would still find these people in our society, dealing with the similar issues.

I agree with you, anyone who views this as a "vicious attack on white people" is watching through myopic glasses. When you don't like a show's perspective, of course, attack on racial grounds.#whitepeopleproblems

• Love 2

Disagreement is allowed and even encouraged in conversations here at PTV. Please be civil and respectful in your posting here. You can refer to The Social Contract here, which is quoted below;

My golden rule for forums is to pretend you are at someone else's party. Different opinions are welcomed and debate is encouraged but if you can't converse without name calling or flaming then you'll get The Size Nines out the door.

Let's keep this in mind going forward.

• Love 4

I hate everyone in this show equally (with the exception of Russ, whom I don't hate at all).

Is the theme bad parenting?  Matt turned out wrong, Mark turned out wrong, Tony turned out wrong, Aubrey turned out wrong, Carter turned out wrong, Carter's sister is damaged goods ...   Russ and Barb are freak shows of their own making; Gwen's parents are assholes; Aubrey's parents are pathetic, Alonzo's whole life of hard work has been gutted thanks to his screwed up kids, Hector is being deported to Mexico without ever knowing his daughter ...

And why don't they subtitle ALL of the Spanish dialogue in this show?   

• Love 3