Type keyword(s) to search

Undateable: In the Media

Not a terribly huge surprise, given that Bill Lawrence is one of the creators of the show. I'm also excited to see Neil Flynn, Christa Miller, and Kate Walsh on the episode. I'm way out of the target demo for Victoria Justice though, and Dr. Drew holds little interest for me..

(edited)

We don't have a media thread so this fits best: http://deadline.com/2015/05/undateable-renewed-season-3-live-episodes-1201423321/

Was this week’s live Undateable episode a test for what is to come next season? In a throwback to the golden age of television and live entertainment, I hear NBC is in discussions with the producers of the multi-camera sophomore comedy about doing a third season consisting entirely of live episodes, as many as 22 of them.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 1

As mentioned above, "Roc" did a live season, but I think that was in desperation to bump up failing ratings. I hope this news means the show is coming back -- live episodes or not.

All live episodes seem to be a bit much, especially if there's usually some improv that goes on.  Having it be live would be restrictive. 

Could they pull off what they did last week on a weekly basis?  I don't know.

But it does make sense.  I read that NBC is kind of pushing for more live programming with NPH's show and Maya Rudolph being courted.  This would fit in with their new brand.

Well last weeks show was a full hour, if they deliver merely the typical 20-22 minutes of air time I think they'll be okay, because their live show was one of the best I've seen purely in terms of energy and execution (since Roc, Roc was pretty flawless). If only the show weren't saddled with Chris D'Elia, he still feels like a stand up comic who walked on a set, and he really really can't act, but I weirdly still think he's pretty funny. Shelley and the ditz waitress are the highlights, and the most natural comedic performers followed by Justin. 

Oddly, I found Chris D'Elia more tolerable in the live ep. I don't know it's because of how the episode was written or if his natural tendency to want to cause mischief added a little something to the live shows as the other performers had to work with it.  That is a big reason why people watch things live--there's the sense that anything could happen.

I'm very happy this is coming back.  It's not the gourmet meal I usually watch but sometimes all I want is comfort food.

• Love 1

NBC's fall schedule is out -- and moving Undateable to Friday nights at 8:00.  

Doing a live show on a Friday evening is probably not a popular idea with the cast and crew -- I wonder if they will continue to do both East coast and West coast broadcasts live.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/05/10/nbc-2015-2016-schedule-blindspot-moves-to-post-voice-spot-live-undateable-goes-to-friday-heroes-reborn-gets-pre-blacklist-thursday-spot/401619/

NBC's fall schedule is out -- and moving Undateable to Friday nights at 8:00.  

Doing a live show on a Friday evening is probably not a popular idea with the cast and crew -- I wonder if they will continue to do both East coast and West coast broadcasts live.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/05/10/nbc-2015-2016-schedule-blindspot-moves-to-post-voice-spot-live-undateable-goes-to-friday-heroes-reborn-gets-pre-blacklist-thursday-spot/401619/

If they were working on a single cam comedy or drama they'll probably be working Friday evenings anyways.

I have to say that really shocks me.  It's a lot more work for them, and expense too.  It's got to be for creative reasons, because economically it doesn't really make much sense.

Whats even weirder is the ratings went up in week two when they only did one live airing. Would the show somehow make more money if people somehow watch both versions streaming? You might be on to something about creative reasons because this move makes no sense otherwise.

I don't know where else to post this but I am LOVING all the social media interaction this show has with their fans. From the 4:30 PM Periscopes from the set, to the Periscopes live, to the Danny Phone (I can't believe the cast members actually answer the calls!) this show is revolutionary. I only wish more people would know about it :(

Did the ratings improve since the live shows?  The only reason a network show would do something is for ratings I think.  I don't think creativity is the answer.  Not when network shows struggle so much to stay on the air.  Creativity is for cable where shows have that luxury.

Did the ratings improve since the live shows?  The only reason a network show would do something is for ratings I think.  I don't think creativity is the answer.  Not when network shows struggle so much to stay on the air.  Creativity is for cable where shows have that luxury.

Can't really answer that because they moved from Tuesdays at 9 PM (good HUT levels with a good lead in) to Fridays at 8 PM (horrible HUT levels with no lead in). They also went from taped (more expensive) to live (less expensive). So while a 0.9-0.7 is bad for broadcast, it MAY still be profitable or at a point that WB may can make the financials work with NBC. At 36 minimum (45 max) episodes, I think if it sticks around it won't be at NBC. It may move to TBS or CW if WB wants to drag it to syndication.

• Love 1

May just be spin, but Bill Lawrence has been saying in his Periscopes that ratings don't matter for them. It seems possible that on a graveyard night, and especially given NBC's dismal record with comedies at the moment, buzz is more important than ratings. Being the show people are talking and Tweeting and writing about has some value. 

• Love 1

Funches was on Conan last Thursday and it was a hilarious appearance. And he basically got a double segment, because one of his friends, Ian Karmel, was also on as a standup act (Funches was a sit down interview) and Funches stayed during Karmel's whole act and kind of heckled/interjected the whole time. It was freaking great.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, loveoutloud said:

Didn't get a definite cancellation yet, but it's looking that way. :( 

I feel like this show would be perfect for TBS or even FX. Maybe another network will pick it up?

Agree, it would thrive on a cable channel.

Sad to hear the show was eventually cancelled. I started to enjoy it once they were doing the live shows. The cast seemed like they were enjoying themselves which added to the fun of the episodes. It was a pleasant way to wind down the week.
Feels like a few of the shows the networks canceled this year would have done better on cable/streaming channels. Networks really should be the last resort/stop for show runners.

• Love 1
On 5/13/2016 at 6:56 PM, msani19 said:

Sad to hear the show was eventually cancelled. I started to enjoy it once they were doing the live shows. The cast seemed like they were enjoying themselves which added to the fun of the episodes. It was a pleasant way to wind down the week.
Feels like a few of the shows the networks canceled this year would have done better on cable/streaming channels. Networks really should be the last resort/stop for show runners.

I thought it really picked up in S3 when they went to the live shows.  It was a lot of fun watching them ad lib, try to cover when they couldn't hold in the laughs, catching the differences between the east coast and west coast show and the occasional integration of the musical guest into the plot of the show.

Has any show ever tried to pull off the 'live flashback' before -- like they did in both the east and west coast versions of the S3 finale ?

I'm going to miss my weekly dose of Ron Funches.  Heck, I'm even going to miss Brent Morin, Bianca Kajlich, David Fynn and Rick Glassman too.

But I am especially going to miss the hotness that is Bridgit Mendler -- I hope she finds a new show soon.

Not going to miss Chris D'Elia.

27 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm 0 for 3 now: "Galavant," "Telenovela," and "Undateable."

I look at it this way. The highlight of the show was Ron Funches, and now he's open to doing other stuff like movies. 

I also think that Bridgit Mendler perhaps might find some work coming out of this in something even better.  Bianca Kajlich, David Fynn and Rick Glassman were all great utility players, and I wish them luck, but do think it was mostly the ensemble format that benefited them so much.

Chris D'Elia can just stand in the corner in some comedy club or something. I don't care. Brent Morin was okay, but really if I don't see him again, I won't be that upset. 

• Love 1