Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Maternity Liv

So, wait, she thinks it's on her friend that the incrowd of douchebros is targeting her because they backed down instead of taking on the sheriff's daughter? That's... novel.

She was taking out her anger at her past self on Mandy. As luvenan said, old Veronica was kind and sweet and maybe something of a pushover. Then she went through a LOT and got angry at the world. Yelling at Mandy wasn't really about Mandy at all, though yeah. Not fair of her to yell at Mandy like that.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 1

Did the Police Lt. eat the brain of an action hero and that's why he wanted to go in alone?

I thought it was going to be revealed that the two kidnappers were part of the Zombie Conspiracy, and the Lt. insisted on going in alone so he could cover it up (he did murder the woman after all).  But then... nothing.  Maybe it will come up in a later episode.

• Love 1

I thought it was going to be revealed that the two kidnappers were part of the Zombie Conspiracy, and the Lt. insisted on going in alone so he could cover it up (he did murder the woman after all).  But then... nothing.  Maybe it will come up in a later episode.

That's exactly how I saw it, but I prefer this:

Did the Police Lt. eat the brain of an action hero and that's why he wanted to go in alone?

• Love 1

Well, I think we're not supposed to be sure. That part of the suspense.

Was this a vital part of the operation that took a hit? Then maybe we see consequences and Blaine scramble. Or was this the police chief trying to get the eyes of the city off the supply chain, but really leaving a big bunch of clues to figure out later? I think it was the latter.

Major thinks he has the candyman, because of the shoes, the reporter lady doesn't trust this police force. They'll keep asking questions I think. Maybe ask Liv or Ravi about if the bodies came through the morgue really?

The mysteries of the week are not very mysterious in the show, but I feel like they do a good job building the season arc and the tension of it.

Furthering the Buffy analogy re: the 'mysteries of the week', I keep getting the "And I'd have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!" - vibe. 

I'm old.

No, he specifically wanted to kill the kidnappers and let them take the fall for the disappearances. And he succeeded.

• Love 2
(edited)

For now. But in order for this cover to stick, the disappearances have to stop. Otherwise, people will smell not just a rat, but a major rat infestation. And it isn't like Blaine's client list will stop being hungry. It works if next episode we see Blaine buy out a crematorium or similar to get a less overt supply, but doubt he's going to actually do that. 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 3
However, will it always be the same way if you eat a brain which doesn't align with your gender preference? If so, yikes. Poor zombies.

It's no worse than eating the brain of anyone who doesn't share your beliefs and orientations. Imagine eating the brain of someone who keeps kosher and you're a bacon fanatic. The new behavior lasts only until you eat the next brain.

they overdid it with the mothering

I don't think they overdid it; it was a clear way to show what traits she picked up from the girl. You got it right away.

• Love 1

I don't think they overdid it; it was a clear way to show what traits she picked up from the girl. You got it right away.

I guess it's a popular enough cliche that everyone's going to pick up which stereotype they're trying for, but it kind of doesn't in any way resemble the way a new mother behaves, in my experience. 

It just makes the worldbuilding less fun for me to fanwank if they don't make it at least kind of realistic within the confines of the show.

I liked this episode, but I don't know how I missed that bit about two of those missing kids being part of the "sacrifices."  Wow, I'm slow!  So glad I read this thread, haha.  I didn't mind Liv's mothering, though I do agree, it's not really consistent with what a very pregnant woman or new mom's brain would be like!

Also, why does EVERYONE get spray tans except Liv??  And How is the Police Captain getting his hair to look like that (black with grey at the temples)?  I'm confused!

ALSO, since they are zombies and presumably dead, does their hair grow?  Do they have dead skin?  You'd think you'd just need to dye your hair once and get a spray tan once and bet set, right?

If they are angling for a love triangle between Major-Liv-Lowell, it's going to be a hard sell since there is zerooo chemistry between Major and Liv. The scenes between her and Lowell, however, are too cute.

I do enjoy the friendship between Major and Liv, though, but every time she laments about their old relationship I'm thinking "Honey, you really aren't missing anything" lol

I give zero shits about the mysteries. The interactions between the cast is what I come for (and some of the zombie world building).

Word. I kind of tune out during those scenes, but I am still enjoying this show so far. The Major sub-plot, though, I'm finding pretty boring. There's nothing keeping me guessing like the "Who drugged Veronica?" arc on VM.

If they are angling for a love triangle between Major-Liv-Lowell, it's going to be a hard sell since there is zerooo chemistry between Major and Liv. The scenes between her and Lowell, however, are too cute.

I do enjoy the friendship between Major and Liv, though, but every time she laments about their old relationship I'm thinking "Honey, you really aren't missing anything" lol

Word. I kind of tune out during those scenes, but I am still enjoying this show so far. The Major sub-plot, though, I'm finding pretty boring. There's nothing keeping me guessing like the "Who drugged Veronica?" arc on VM.

I don't see it as a hard sell when it comes to a Lowell/Liv/Major love triangle.  Neither option has any sexual chemistry and both have no depth beyond looks.

It is pathetic this show treats same sex attraction as a joke.  Instead of using the adaptation of traits for a look at attraction, it becomes a joke so Lowell and Liv can just hang.  This is after already playing Liv's temporary same sex attraction in episode 2 for jokes.  How not so cute! 

Also, why does EVERYONE get spray tans except Liv??  And How is the Police Captain getting his hair to look like that (black with grey at the temples)?  I'm confused!

ALSO, since they are zombies and presumably dead, does their hair grow?  Do they have dead skin?  You'd think you'd just need to dye your hair once and get a spray tan once and bet set, right?

She could at least pout on some blush and lipstick... she can be pale, but does she HAVE to look like a corpse? Oh. Right. Hee. But every other zombie finds a way around it...

I agree with everyone on the case of the week, though I semi-cared about this one. I dunno, I think they have to kill Lily Cane soon for me to start giving a sh***

Things they got right: Liv. The zombie stuff. Ravi. Sark!Zombie. Lowell.

Everything else doesn't interest much, but I put up with it for the above. I'm probably in the minority here, but Clive bores the heck out of me. As do: Major (he's 5x more interesting when he's with Ravi), the roomate, the mother, the brother, whoever else is working with Sark!Zombie...

• Love 2

I'm probably in the minority here, but Clive bores the heck out of me. As do: Major (he's 5x more interesting when he's with Ravi), the roomate, the mother, the brother, whoever else is working with Sark!Zombie...

Nope, I'm right there with you. Those are exactly the characters who are doing nothing to hold my attention.

• Love 2

With Liv not doing anything to change her appearance, the simplest and easiest explanation that works for me is, she just doesn't care. She's just being herself and doesn't feel the need or want to spend the effort that the others do. Also I see it has her really leaving her old life behind and embracing her new one. While the other zombies are still trying to hold on to their old lives. 

• Love 4

I thought it was kind of smart of her. If she presents herself as goth, she doesn't have to worry about roots or keeping up with her self-tanning schedule.

• Love 2

Still enjoying this show a lot. It's possible the "maternal" personality traits were overdone but she seems consistently to get an extreme version of people's personalities anyway. Kind of like a steroid shot of attributes.

In terms of her looks, her appearance doesn't bother me because I get the feeling we're supposed to see her hair as "dead" in some way. It bothers me more that other zombies are apparently able to pass as normal folks with a bit of hair dye and a spray tan. So I'm unsure of how many of Blaine's employees, for example, are supposed to be zombies and how many aren't. The show would benefit from more of a "tell".

• Love 2
(edited)

What I'm confused about is how zombie rat got into the other cages and if we know based on what the show has shown us which rat it was that turned into a zombie.  I mean, it's not that zombies get smarter, they get dumber the longer they go without brains, so zombie rat would sooner start to rot, rather than figure out how to get our of his cage and into the other cages.

I guess the zombie rat (the white one, right? Funny!) used his/her super zombie strength to hurl him/herself at the door and open it. As for opening the other rats' cage doors, maybe we'll see bent cage wires where zombie rat forced his/her way through--I'm guessing again by hurling his/her whole body at the cage, not by using tiny zombie rat paws to force the cage wires apart.

I definitely think it was a super-strength bent wire caging scenario. However, that made me even more nervous when they put the zombie rat in the glass cage and Ravi put books on top? I don't think we have reason to believe the zombie rat has super jumping abilities, but does have super strength. So...why aren't we concerned about him bashing against the glass and breaking it? I don't want to torture the rat or anything but seems like whatever they enclose it in really ought to be surrounded by like...many inches of reinforced concrete or something. Extrapolate from the super strength feats he's seen Liv do and plan for that level, or slightly more since who knows how things really work proportionately.

Other thought: I'm not clear on what aspect they're trying to study with the rat, or if they'd only gotten so far as "what amount of stuff turned it". What I mean is, should they be providing the rat periodic new rat brains so it doesn't go berserk? Or are they intentionally depriving it of brains to see how that goes? Do they intend to eventually do both? On the one hand making more zombie rats seems super scary and dangerous, on the other hand, seems like they may need at least two.

I just think they should be a helluva lot more scared about it getting out. Moreso than it being discovered, they should be worried about it escaping way more than seems to have been presented. Although here I go again with, we're probably supposed to handwave (except when the plot intentionally draws our attention to it) because the whole show can't just be paranoia. But man does it make me tense.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 4