Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Episode Nine

Following the march in support of Carter that erupted in violence, Aliyah and her lawyer use the turn in public opinion to leave the court no choice but to move up Carter's preliminary examination date. Emotions felt by the families on both sides of the case come to a head when Aubry's mother, Ruth, sets up a meeting with Aliyah. Meanwhile, Russ continues to work on Matt and Gwen's house as a means to fill a void created by his regretful decision to abandon his family years previously. Desperate to do everything he can for a now fearful Tony in juvenile detention, Alonzo turns to an unlikely source for help. After Aubry receives news from Carter, she is left feeling emotionally distraught. She makes the decision to completely change the course of the case by going on record with an incendiary statement.

I'm not sure I still care who really committed the crime. Obviously Matt and Gwen were low-life drug dealers and Matt was a horrible soldier. Are we supposed to be surprised that sometimes people who are victims of a crime are also criminals themselves? This show is way too heavy handed.

I'm still ticked off from last week when Russ had to practically beg his son for permission to stay in Matt's house even though the house did not belong to Mark and he had no real say in anything. 

And I'm tired of parents being to blame for everything. Of course you should be a good parent, but when your children are adults they can make their own choices. Tony isn't an adult technically, but he is old enough to make the right choices, as is Aubrey, Carter, etc.

I continue to hate Gwen's parents for no other reason that their not caring at all that Matt's parents have suffered the death of their son. 

• Love 4

I haven't watched yet.  I will but it is a forced march.  I cannot see how they will be able to conclude this to my satisfaction.  I don't care who the murderer is.  I would like to know more about Gwen and the victim.  Gwen is too damaged to learn from her and I don't see her recovering to the point where she will be interesting.  

I think we are watching a dark slice of life that has no conclusion.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I like this show more then I thought I would. Yes it is heavy handed but that doesnt bother me when the acting is good and it is. I am enjoying this a lot.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

Do we think Aubrey really did it? Or is she just mad she got dumped?  Her story sounded plausible, but then she threw in the "he roughhoused me like my brother and his friends" line. That made me question the validity of her story because I felt she had lied about her brother and friends.

Not that I care too much. They're all so awful.

And yes, the parents can't be to blame forever. I thought that while watching the show. If Russ is to blame for his sons, then why aren't we finding HIS parents to blame them for him?

• Love 1

This was the first time I believed Aubrey.  

I wish Matt hadn't burned the military pictures of his son.  I'm sure they will show up again though. If anyone is to be blamed for his behaviour, it's Barb.  Russ was out of the picture, and it reeks of Barb.  

I do want to know what she plans on doing with the gun.  I think she is going to go after Carter.  No way will she believe a white girl killed her son.  She's so hung up on the "Bad Black Man" being at fault.  

How is Barb to blame for the actions of her adult son? She raised her sons as a single mother and probably did the best she could. Are you saying Matt's actions in Iraq and his drug dealings were somehow forced by Barb? How would that work since she didn't even live in the same town. As a parent myself I have to disagree that parents can control the actions of adult children. Things like poverty can affect a person throughout their life, but that part was on Russ.

(edited)

This show makes me feel like taking a shower afterwards... ick.

But man, the actors are really bringing their A+ games to this, otherwise it would be unwatchable.  Agreed that there isn't a single character on it that i like.  At this point i think I'm just watching to see whodunnit, if they actually ever tell us.

I think Aubrey was there when the shooting happened, but is lying about being the shooter just so Carter will feel bad when she's executed.

Edited by janeta

I think we are watching a dark slice of life that has no conclusion.  

I agree.  As wrenching as this show has been to watch, I think that it is fairly realistic; truly a "dark slice of life."  It shakes the belief that most of us would like to adopt, that people who commit crimes are always 100% evil, and victims are always 100% good.  In that way the writers force us to think about crimes and the courts in new ways.  I find the show to be exceptionally well done in the manner it illustrates the ambiguity that so often exists in situations like this. The fact that I can't quite believe that Aubry was the shooter (but can't totally dismiss the idea, either) really shook me, and I guess that's the hallmark of good filmmaking, as it is of good literature.

Well done, show.

• Love 9
(edited)

I agree Pelican.  I just watched this episode and it turned me around to appreciating what it is. 

We are seeing crime, how it happens and how it feeds on itself.  The numbered episodes and simple title says it all.   It is complicated and devoid of personalities.  The individuals are not the focus or point. 

ETA:  It sometimes takes years to make an arrest.  This case, so far, does not have enough to convict anyone.  It won't happen in two more episodes either.  I would not be surprised to see Barbara shoot herself but I doubt that will happen.  We will be left to wonder.  Her aide put that out there to further illustrate the ramifications of crime.  

Edited by wings707

I don't understand why this show has so much language that is being cut out. Did ABC (or whoever) plan on pushing the envelope with the language and then backed off? Was it originally produced for cable and then dropped and ABC (or whoever) picked it up? Is it airing with the language in other parts of the country and my station is just prudish?

• Love 1

I don't understand why this show has so much language that is being cut out. Did ABC (or whoever) plan on pushing the envelope with the language and then backed off? Was it originally produced for cable and then dropped and ABC (or whoever) picked it up? Is it airing with the language in other parts of the country and my station is just prudish?

I don't know the reason, but the same thing happened here. 

The edited words? I hate it.  HATE it. Not because I'm a language prude, but because it comes across as messy and disjointed. Plus with the weird edits and stuff? It feels like I am watching every episode on a shitty streaming site that's constantly buffering and stuttering. A really crappy rip too. 

And I'm watching it on ABC, not on hulu or ondemand, so it should be at its best, but it's so distracting.  When done well, like on Homicide: Life on the Streets, that kind of jumpy cut thing can be effective in setting a mood of confusion and being overwhelmed like you were a participant in these events. Done poorly, as it is in this show, it feels like some dumbass at ABC let his/her kids play with all the buttons on editing day.

• Love 2

I'm a little confused and, to be honest, I don't intend to watch these episodes a second time to clarify.

When Aubrey confessed she killed Matt, the prosecuting attorney or the detective said she wouldn't have had time to travel from where she and Carter were staying to Matt's house.  Aubrey said they were staying at a friend's that was much closer.  Did she drive or walk over?

If she walked over, why did Carter need a ride from Hector?

If she drove over, was it the same car that Hector rented from Tony?

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't get why they have the "mature language" warning when the words are all edited out anyway.

I've gotten fed up with Gwen's dad. He hasn't gotten past the idea that his daughter was a "slut," and he's still judging her for it. What matters now is that his kid is sick. It doesn't matter how she got sick or how she was living her life beforehand. She needs her parents, and his wife needs him to take part in Gwen's care.

I was glad to see Aliyah and Aubrey's mom working together.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 1

I'm a little confused and, to be honest, I don't intend to watch these episodes a second time to clarify.

When Aubrey confessed she killed Matt, the prosecuting attorney or the detective said she wouldn't have had time to travel from where she and Carter were staying to Matt's house.  Aubrey said they were staying at a friend's that was much closer.  Did she drive or walk over?

If she walked over, why did Carter need a ride from Hector?

If she drove over, was it the same car that Hector rented from Tony?

I don't want to go back either.  They lived/stayed in a bunch of different places, is my guess.  The writer clearly thought we would care enough to keep track of details.   **sly grin**

I've gotten fed up with Gwen's dad. He hasn't gotten past the idea that his daughter was a "slut," and he's still judging her for it

I think this is the explanation, MrsBagnet, he's "a good Christian man."  It's his JOB to judge!  Where would we be without these fine examples?

• Love 2
How is Barb to blame for the actions of her adult son? She raised her sons as a single mother and probably did the best she could.

I think she was responsible for molding her children...and sadly, she wasn't "molded" that well.  She may have always been a harsh, mean, always-right, unyielding person who couldn't give love, warmth, or understanding (even foregiveness) to her boys--or her husband because those feelings weren't given to her.  I agree she did the best she could--and it wasn't good.  She also married someone who couldn't stand up to her and left his boys in a bad situation.  Even if people at church or school tried to intervene, they would have been shot down so hard they never tried again.  It's a big bad confusing world out there.

• Love 1
(edited)

We are all a product of our environment from birth forward.  We are observers here watching others, bringing their life experience to the table, collide in crisis.  Pretty interesting concept.  I just wish I liked it better.  I can see, with only 2 more episodes, that I am not going to feel satisfied with any resolution for even one of the many threads going on here.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I think Aubrey was there when the shooting happened, but is lying about being the shooter just so Carter will feel bad when she's executed.

I do believe Aubrey did the shooting, I believe she was molested by her brother and his friends. So even though she had traded sex for Drugs when Matt(?) tried forcing her she had a flashback and shot his ass. Remember she also attacked that other druggie viciously with a knife. She has deep issues and I don't think she would confess because she thought SHE would be executed. If she thought Carter would be executed, maybe. Also has anyone ever ask Carter if he committed this particular crime?.

• Love 1

I think she was responsible for molding her children...and sadly, she wasn't "molded" that well.  She may have always been a harsh, mean, always-right, unyielding person who couldn't give love, warmth, or understanding (even foregiveness) to her boys--or her husband because those feelings weren't given to her.  I agree she did the best she could--and it wasn't good.  She also married someone who couldn't stand up to her and left his boys in a bad situation.  Even if people at church or school tried to intervene, they would have been shot down so hard they never tried again.  It's a big bad confusing world out there.

Lots of people have crappy childhoods though and they still make better choices as adults. So far, we have nothing indicating Barb was abusive to her children in any way. Russ said all of the good in their life was because of Barb. The sons grew up in poverty, in public housing and may have experienced racial tension there if they were the only white residents. We just don't know enough about that. I see no connection between Barb being a bitter racist and her son Matt becoming a drug dealer. Matt may have grown up seeing drugs being dealt, but that is really more on Russ than on Barb.

Carter seems to be the perfect example of choice. He was a professional who apparently had a good upbringing, but he chose a different life for himself. Aubrey is a bit different; if she were abused at a young age it would leave extensive psychological scarring that would impact her entire life.

I had a crappy childhood but made my own way in life and have a great life now. Life experiences are like genetics, they mean something but don't have to mean everything.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think the absence of more detail is part of the vision for this series.  This is about crime and not the players in it as much.   We see what can happen when a girl is molested.  We see Barb's racism and know she raised her kids in the projects and forced her son's into the Military to get them away from ghetto mentality.  Russ' gambling addiction stemmed from poverty, and on it goes.  

Edited by wings707
We see Barb's racism and know she raised her kids in the projects and forced her son's into the Military to get them away from ghetto mentality.

We also find out from the Brother and the pictures that the son wasn't an angel/hero and did things over there that Matt wanted to keep from the light of day.

We also find out from the Brother and the pictures that the son wasn't an angel/hero and did things over there that Matt wanted to keep from the light of day.

Oh damn, I missed that.  What did he do?

The dad found a box full of pictures when he was going through the garage. The found pictures from when the boys were growing up, but there were also pictures from his time in Iraq/Afghanistan (?). They showed him holding up the head of a dead body (body faced down) to show the face, pissing on the dead body and the squad holding the dead body. I don't remember any others.  The dad burned the pictures on the gas stove.

• Love 1

Another point of how one is raised vs. how they turn out is Tony.  Raised in a loving but somewhat strict environment of hard-working parents, good role models and yet Tony is drawn to the gang lifestyle, trying to get the respect of his peers instead of his family.

• Love 5
(edited)

Thanks Dagny.  I watched that episode and must have gotten distracted the moment he found those photos.  

And we have Gwen raised by a very strict father and I think religious who clearly went off track. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

This episode was my breaking point. My Hulu connection kept freezing. I restarted it and started trying to find where I'd left off, but I realized I hadn't even cared enough to pay attention to how long I had been watching. 

• Love 1

I'm hanging on til the end, but am rather beyond caring at this point of the actual story.  Great performances all around though.  And color me surprised that they actually got away with dropping N bombs on primetime network television.

• Love 1

Yep, me too.  I will see this through to the end and I am braced to be disappointed because I am now and it would take a lot to change that.  

• Love 1
Raised in a loving but somewhat strict environment of hard-working parents, good role models

...and the father, while a good man...a really good man, was too naive.  He tried to create a safe little world for his family, but the key word is "little."  He wasn't aware enough of what was going on outside.

So is this entire anthology a commentary in nature vs. nurture??  Are you more influenced by your family's upbringing and values or are you more influenced by your environment/people you encounter in life? 

I have a friend who had a horrible family life growing up, but was determined to make her own life better, and she is an extremely successful adult.  And yet we see Tony and Carter, who seem to have had a good family life growing up, but went terribly awry as adults.

Sorry, just some rambling thoughts

• Love 3