Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Divine Inspiration

• Start Topic

Also I didn't like kennedy's runway look at all. I get it is supposed to be ugly but her look was literally just an old lady's Sunday church dress, which would have worked better if it were a challenge where they had to dress old.

I actually wondered if it was the same dress as the old lady dance line challenge. And yet I was too apathetic to check.

• Love 2

I was not the same meemaw dress.. which means she brought two ugly ol' granny dresses.  Also, if you watched untucked, this one also had the pom poms that Violet's dress had as the center of the flowers... wasn't really obvious till you got a close up... but still if you have to be close up to see it's ugly, then it's a fail on the challenge of "ugliest dress"

Speaking of not noticing details till you got close up... Pearl's dress had GOOGLY EYES in with the polka-dots... which made me think it was that much more awesome and not ugly at all.  Total fail on the part of the challenge of "ugliest dress" as well.

• Love 1

If someone was on their A-Game, someone should've worn a Santino design for ugliest outfit.

I would have died (in delight!) if someone did that, especially the weird German/animal lingerie, or the pantsuit for Kara, that he made on PR!

• Love 2

Ginger's performance + the hilarity of a grown man dressed as a woman dressed as a baby singing about eggs just killed me this episode. I laughed every time baby Ginger was on screen.

• Love 2

I watched Untucked for the first time this season.  Katya was slaying me.  WTF was she doing, all of a sudden lowering herself to a squat over the drainage grate? And Kennedy looks alot like Octavia Spencer.  He makes a very pretty woman, I love his makeup.

Where is this filmed?  Is it possible to go lurk around the back door and talk to the queens when they come out for smokes?  Or is it on some studio lot??

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure what Fame wore to the runway was a hanbok, it's the traditional dress that a Korean woman wears.

e5eec96858d604fc679ca9a1e327d19b.jpg

That lipsync was so incredibly boring, I had to laugh because I kept thinking that's the same exact moves Pearl did when she did "Dreaming" against Trixie, it just makes more sense that Trixie was sent home just to be brought back.  I was right the first time, there were no ideas in those movements just arms wailing around.

Pearl needs to go, Kennedy can follow her.  Those two have brought nothing, well, Kennedy at least brought a good snatch game, but yeah, they both need to go, I find them both to be boring, and Kennedy and Pearl kept getting safe for being very generic.

• Love 1

I am late to this episode, but my jaw just dropped when the judges told Pearl and Miss Fame that their dresses weren't ugly. I thought both of their dresses were HIDEOUS. I could see Pearl's working for the right kind of camp number, but I definitely thought it was hideous. The ones I didn't think were really ugly were Ginger Minj's, Katya's, and Trixie's. Ginger's was not a great color, but I thought the color actually worked for her and that the cut was quite flattering. Trixie's was just very 80s. And while I personally would never wear it, I completely know people who would rock Katya's.

I thought Ginger deserved the win, but Katya was a close runner up. I would not have minded another tie like with Snatch Game, but if it had to go to only one of them, I think Ginger was the right choice.  

I don't get the enthusiasm for Trixie. I thought she was just sort of there in the John Waters video. She was completely upstaged by Ginger. I think Violet was right that strategically, Trixie would have been better off with a weaker performer, but I think that's a bad sign for what Trixie actually has to offer.

I felt for Violet, Pearl, and Miss Fame with their video. They all tried so hard, but they're just not natural camp queens (although Pearl's actually had a lot of good comedy performances, starting with the DESPY awards). I thought Violet was exactly right with how to work the runway in her ugly dress, though. I also think Violet is a good performer, but she's a sexy, fetish style performer rather than a comedy performer. IMHO, this season has been really unbalanced with comedy.

What I do not understand about Miss Fame is that her reputation and experience is all about her modeling and her much watched YouTube tutorials. She is gorgerous. But her facelift tape is always visible. How is that not an issue?

(edited)

Ugliness is always in the eye of the beholder, but I think the judges were looking for John Waters' brand of ugly: garish, tacky, church rummage-sale brilliant hideousness. To me, only Katya, Ginger, and Violet understood the directions. Katya's was hideous from head to toe (although, as John said, "the hippest girl in Brooklyn would wear that today"). Ginger's outfit, in terms of cut, wasn't too dissimilar from what she normally wears (which is a read on my part), but I think the forest-green plastic rosettes around the color (and the combination of the forest-green with lime green) pushed it into truly ugly. Violet's outfit channeled Connie Marble from Pink Flamingos or an I Love Lucy sack dress, as the judges said.

Trixie and Kennedy's outfits were in poor taste, but they weren't outrageously ugly. Kennedy's dress was standard church lady drag with a Golden Girls palette and Trixie's was an '80s prom dress or bridesmaids' dress. Pearl came out as a cute Japanese Lolita/anime character and Fame looked like a whimsical children's book illustration. They failed the assignment. 

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 2

I'm willing to give the contestants some leeway with this runway challenge, because I think it was somewhat confusing. On a show like this, if you're being asked to bring an ugly dress, does that just mean "Bring the most disgusting-looking dress you can find?" Or does it mean, "Find something that's ugly but fabulous at the same time, and flattering?"

If they weren't given any explanation beyond what we heard, then I can see why Pearl would want to wear something that makes her look cute.

I didn't think what Pearl wore made her look obviously cute any more than anyone else's did. I can't blame Pearl for the runway because I'm still confused by which outfits were praised and which ones weren't. Kennedy and Katya were the only ones who I could see clearly going for head-to-toe ugly, although I thought Katya still ended up looking good because her raggedy Anne wig was so harmonious with the crochet dress. 

What I do not understand about Miss Fame is that her reputation and experience is all about her modeling and her much watched YouTube tutorials. She is gorgerous. But her facelift tape is always visible. How is that not an issue?

Yes! That visible tape drives me absolutely crazy. It's not acceptable.

• Love 3
(edited)

This one had me up until the lip sync. They both should have sashayed.

Totally agree. Ginger and Katya had the best performances for me. I've gotta catch up on Untucked since I've caught up on all the episodes. I want Katya to win it all. Both Ginger and she crack me

up.

And I'm glad Carson was back for this one...I like it when he and Ross are both on the panel.

Edited by gryphon

May I just say that I've had the "Don't play with doo doo..." song stuck in my head since I saw this episode? Complete with visuals of Violet flicking her tongue.

I don't know how to get this out of my head! Maybe I'll go YouTube some Adore Delano songs, or some past LSFYLs.

• Love 1

I didn't think anyone performed that badly. Miss Fame did not stand out as the worst to me. I don't know how it's fair for Michelle Visage to say Miss Fame was being over the top (vs. being naturally funny) because the clips I've seen from old John Waters movies has some of the worst line reading I've ever heard. The actors in these movies sound like they are reading their lines. It sounds very unnatural and lacking comic timing. Miss Fame was funnier than that.

• Love 1

I didn't think anyone performed that badly. Miss Fame did not stand out as the worst to me. I don't know how it's fair for Michelle Visage to say Miss Fame was being over the top (vs. being naturally funny) because the clips I've seen from old John Waters movies has some of the worst line reading I've ever heard. The actors in these movies sound like they are reading their lines. It sounds very unnatural and lacking comic timing. Miss Fame was funnier than that.

I don't think MF was actually worse than Pearl or Violet; it's just that the powers that be decided to finally cut the strings on her and force her to lip sync...which spelled her doom, since there's no way editors can make it look like MF could win a lip sync against anyone. IMO, Ruduction should have forced her to lip sync in Snatch Game; her Donatella was worse than Jaidynn's Raven Symone and it would have ensured Max, a more talented competitor, would have stayed in the game.