Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Godfathering

Jackie is on the floor again but back to square one. Under the Diversion Program, she cannot touch patients or medication and undergoes mandatory daily urine screens. But in her new role, she learns two big secrets with which she must contend. Akalitus makes it clear that she isn’t going to make life easy for Jackie. Just as the tables have turned in her relationship with Jackie, Zoey learns the outcome of her Master’s program application. Carrie withholds news about her pregnancy from Coop.

Promo:

Clips:

Love the writers that even tho we seem to now be deep into endgame --taking down not just Jackie but also All Saints--they are still going for every character insight and bit o' black humor they can.

Of course we have to have the two doctors acknowledge their own child's miscarriage while they let a patient flatline 20' away..."Do we have to pretend Jackie 

doesn't  know anything?"

And when Akalaitis finally realizes her pharmacist is one of her biggest problems and fires him, Eddie trumps her, deep kissing Ms Jackie on his long exit walk. It could get really boring if every character gets an exit scene like this, but I will stay with it to the end.

So once again the writers find a way to make Jackie seem like the good guy. Last week it was Kevin's ridiculous financial shenanigans. This week it's Akalitus behaving like a 4-year-old. Making Zoe be the one who has to watch Jackie urinate, and admitting that it's because of a personal grudge? Ugh.

Her righteous fury would be a lot more understandable if she hadn't gone out of her way in the past to allow Jackie to continue working at the hospital while abusing drugs.

As for Matt, aka the Dungeon Master - I kept trying to figure out if he's supposed to just be an oddball, or outright mentally challenged. I'm assuming it's the former.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 2

Once again everyone is thrown under the bus to make Jackie look good. It's amazing any patients ever lived when Jackie was off shift when she was still a full nurse, she's apparently the only one there who knows what they're doing. Coop and Carrie may be the worst doctors ever, but Zoey and Thor were the worst nurses ever this episode. Zoey hiding out in a room to avoid Jackie when there were patients to care for? I know Thor was in there taking care of his sugar, but right after that he takes Zoey to the pharmacy to get drugs for her to help deal with her drug-addicted charge/friend.  And then Zoey tells Gloria she was going to take the Xanax? How the hell did Zoey think any of that was ok? She should be reprimanded for that behavior, except Gloria took the pill. And she didn't notice the blue toes until Jackie told her. Her timid and unassertive attitude around Jackie this episode was nauseating. She's really not suited to be head nurse. Ugh, I hate what they've done with her, where's the Zoey who confronted Jackie about the Nancy Wood ID last season?

Any one of those patients who were bumped when Jackie moved Mrs Kim to the front could've died from having to wait longer. In the real world. In Showtime world Jackie knows best and does no wrong.

I really hate what they're doing with Gloria. They're making her look like the bad guy when she's only fulfilling her administrator duties. She's the only one it seems doesn't feel sorry for Jackie and her situation. Jackie brought it on herself and doesn't deserve their sympathy. It's true, Gloria should've known better last season than to believe Jackie and think it's ok to give an addict painkillers. But Jackie had manipulated that entire situation by letting Gloria drive over her foot so Gloria was trying to make up for that.

I enjoyed hearing Gloria fire Eddie. I don't remember her exact words, but she said something to the effect that he was lucky to just be losing his job. Does she mean she won't be prosecuting him for any discrepancies found? Because she'd be letting him go for forgery which involved her signature if so.

I hated this episode. I miss the fun times with O'Hara and fun Gloria. I did think Betty Gilpin looked pretty this episode. Her hair and makeup really suited her. I don't normally think she's pretty with her hair pulled severely back and those heavy false lashes she's had the previous seasons.

The only thing I remember liking was Coop and Eddie's "godfather" conversation. That last part of it had me giggling.

Edited by dangwoodchucks
  • Love 7

Once again everyone is thrown under the bus to make Jackie look good.

Yup, her elderly charge is doing great; of course giving Jackie the opportunity to keep selling her pills. Wonder why the daughter didn't fire her; I guess her mother overulled her. And as long as the meds keep disappearing she must assume her mother's still taking them.

As head nurse, doesn't Zoey have enough to do; they couldn't find another female nurse to do the monitoring. Definitely feels mean-spirited of Akalitis. And I think what was adding to Zoey's stress was the feeling that Jackie's glowing letter helped get her into the master's program.

That soul-kiss at the end; Eddie, I don't think she's that into you anymore. Can't remember that little snippet of song right at the end, but it seemed to imply you're not gonna be a couple much longer.

Jackie is a horrible person who masquerades as kind. That's why nursing is so important to her. Without it, how can she get by manipulating people with her kindness?

Akilitis is between a rock and a hard spot. She is taking it all personally. Of course she is, Jackie was her friend, her confidante. She ended up duped by Jackie. It's so sad.

Zoey and Thor... argh. I feel for them. They love Jackie but they don't realize that love is not returned.

I really hate what they're doing with Gloria. They're making her look like the bad guy when she's only fulfilling her administrator duties. She's the only one it seems doesn't feel sorry for Jackie and her situation. Jackie brought it on herself and doesn't deserve their sympathy.

This is what bugs me.  Gloria has entirely legitimate reasons not to want Jackie near patients or in the hospital.  Jackie's an extremely manipulative, lying drug addict.  She may be an excellent nurse, but she's destroyed that entirely by her own actions.  Despite all this, I feel like we are supposed to see Gloria as the bad guy because she's standing in Jackie's way. 

• Love 2

I know Thor was in there taking care of his sugar, but right after that he takes Zoey to the pharmacy to get drugs for her to help deal with her drug-addicted charge/friend.  And then Zoey tells Gloria she was going to take the Xanax? How the hell did Zoey think any of that was ok? She should be reprimanded for that behavior, except Gloria took the pill.

Gloria popping the Xanax made me laugh out loud  

Poor Coop.  

• Love 2

I think Gloria popping the Xanex was inspired. It both gave Zoey a warning, and deprived her of her first step down the slippery slope of chemical dependancy. I definitely do not see her as a bad guy.

Thor needs a boot to the head, big time. Eddie, too, but he seems to need one on an hourly basis lately. Thor? You shock me, sir.

• Love 1

Eddie is a lost soul.

I'm very disappointed in Zoe so far this season. Like has been said already, she's in no way displaying the qualities one wants in someone of her position. The simpering was really getting to me. Same with Thor. I really liked him until last night. 

I'm fine with anything Akalitis dishes out at this point and her styling last night was really really good. Great hair and makeup. Hope she wins but I doubt she will.

I want Coop and Roman gone. They're ruining the show for me. They're not funny, they're not amusing, they're just disgusting. 

This is what bugs me.  Gloria has entirely legitimate reasons not to want Jackie near patients or in the hospital.  Jackie's an extremely manipulative, lying drug addict.  She may be an excellent nurse, but she's destroyed that entirely by her own actions.  Despite all this, I feel like we are supposed to see Gloria as the bad guy because she's standing in Jackie's way. 

That's the thing - there are so many reasons why Gloria is justified in wanting Jackie gone, and yet they're having her act like a jerk anyway. It was totally inapproprite for her to call out Jackie in front of her coworkers in the first episode (even if what she said was true). And she admitted that she was making Zoey monitor Jackie's urine tests for personal reasons - which is putting Zoey through as much misery as Jackie. She's behaving like a person with a grudge, rather than a manager who's properly expressing valid concerns.

I think Gloria popping the Xanex was inspired. It both gave Zoey a warning, and deprived her of her first step down the slippery slope of chemical dependancy. I definitely do not see her as a bad guy.

She could have just flushed it down the toilet, if it was about helping Zoey.

Akalitus taking the Xanax showed that she didn't really care about it. She was firing Eddie over the stuff with Jackie, and rather than waiting for proof that he'd stolen the painkillers that Jackie was taking to Florida, she took the immediate excuse of the Xanax.

• Love 1

I used to really love this show, but it's turning so much into a soap opera that it's getting hard to watch. I think if this wasn't the last season, I might have stopped watching by now. The writers who took over in season 5 seemed to really change the personalities of the main characters and led the show in a different direction from where it was originally headed. 

• Love 4

The writers have made Jackie someone that no one wants to root for anymore.  Now they're trying to make it look like the hospital will fail and people will die because the others won't let her be hero nurse again.  Well that's Jackie's fault, she screwed up.  The writers are doing a lame job of making everyone else look bad so Jackie can come out looking good again.  They're bigger enablers of this character than Eddie.

• Love 4

Akalitus taking the Xanax showed that she didn't really care about it. She was firing Eddie over the stuff with Jackie, and rather than waiting for proof that he'd stolen the painkillers that Jackie was taking to Florida, she took the immediate excuse of the Xanax.

Eddie was on a pretty short damn leash to begin with, so the immediate excuse was all she needed. IMO, she  doing him a favor by getting him the hell away from pharmaceuticals, because he clearly has a weird relationship with them. He's coming unglued, he's in charge of dangerous quantities of chemicals, he's consistently making stupid decisions about handling them, he nearly killed himself with said chemicals before, the Quixotic stuff he is saying about Jackie suggests a broadening detachment from reality("She never hurt any of you"???)-- shit, if I was in Gloria's place, I  would see firing him as possibly being the lesser evil from hanging back and waiting for him to do something that sent his dumb ass to jail. Or got him killed. Only in TV Land would he have lasted past the first season, and I suspect Akalitus's current rampage might be down to hospital admins over the nation begging Showtime to please, please haul their dignity out of the trash.

Her popping the Xanex put her in the pool of culpability with Thor and Zoey-- obviously once she did that, there was no way she could rat them out without two fingers pointing right back at her.  Based on the strong eye contact she made with both of them, I took this as strategic.  Also, that Xanex was probably looking pretty good at that point.(Just saying.) Either way, to me that read as, "I get the urge, but don't start." As bombastic as she is, I really do get the sense  that Anna Deveare Smith is portraying Akalitus as someone who is trying to tough-love a bunch of chucklefucks she genuinely cares about.

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 1

As bombastic as she is, I really do get the sense  that Anna Deveare Smith is portraying Akalitus as someone who is trying to tough-love a bunch of chucklefucks she genuinely cares about.

Great use of "chucklefucks" to describe this crew. That word makes me giggle.

When Jackie went a year without using previously, I don't remember that she really had that much trouble with it. I know I was surprised when she popped that pill. But now again, she's not shown coping with any temptation or struggling to stay clean. Hell, I'm sure she'd be required to go to meetings being in the diversion program. No wonder she doesn't think she has a problem, the writers don't think she does either.

• Love 1

Great use of "chucklefucks" to describe this crew. That word makes me giggle.

Bagged it from the "Vanderpump Rules" folk. I lurk. Does fit perfectly, thought, doesn't it!

(Momlike head shake) Bunch of dumb fucks.

Edited by bunnywithanaxe