Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Anna Kendrick vs. John Krasinski

I love this show.  I get a solid laugh every episode.  However, this time, I disagree with the judgment.  John had that won, no question.

Anna did a good job of lip syncing.  She lacked on the performances though.  And let's face it, in the first round, Anna totally cheated.  No props in the first round is the rule, and she had the Emily vid.  Second round, yes, Anna did have JLo, one of the actual singers of the song, come out for the lip sync.  But JLo did not do anything but stand there.  JLo didn't sing her lyrics, she didn't even lip sync her lyrics.  Waste of a live prop.

John completely sold both performances.  He had the "Bye, Bye, Bye" puppet moves, and he absolutely rocked the smooth and rough sides of Tina Turner.  Underrated performances both.

Bad call, show.

Edited to Add: Looking forward to next week.  Mike Tyson vs. Terry Crews.  I may hurt myself by laughing too hard at this one. 

Edited by phane00
  • Love 1

I thought John should have won as well. I thought he has great in both. It may be my bias because I love John Krasinski and think Anna Kendrick is kind of overrated plus she "sang" two songs I am not really familiar with but I thought John had it won the moment he ripped off his suit and danced in that fringe dress.

Wow to the comments so far... I thought this one was a close one, but Anna definitely earned that win.

I love this show.  I get a solid laugh every episode.  However, this time, I disagree with the judgment.  John had that won, no question.

Anna did a good job of lip syncing.  She lacked on the performances though.  And let's face it, in the first round, Anna totally cheated.  No props in the first round is the rule, and she had the Emily vid.  Second round, yes, Anna did have JLo, one of the actual singers of the song, come out for the lip sync.  But JLo did not do anything but stand there.  JLo didn't sing her lyrics, she didn't even lip sync her lyrics.  Waste of a live prop.

John completely sold both performances.  He had the "Bye, Bye, Bye" puppet moves, and he absolutely rocked the smooth and rough sides of Tina Turner.  Underrated performances both.

Bad call, show.

She lacked in performance how exactly? She put all her energy into what she did. The timing of the choreography for both songs were tight (and yes that first one was choreographed, that spin and mic switching hands next to the screen with Emily's face on it was on point). 

And lets face it, they *both* cheated. Krazinski's headset was a prop, just as much as Anna's TV screen & t-shirt was. Has it actually been stated that there are no props allowed, or is it just that the first round is supposed to be stripped down compared to the second? 

As for JLo being a wasted live prop, the star power from her cameo and her butt were the props. It's a lip sync battle, and not even her battle, why would she sing/lip sync?

John sold his first performance perfectly. The second, however, started strong and even started the "rough" part strong, but he lost energy towards the end. It may have helped if there was more fringe on the top of the dress to see how much he was shaking his chest, but even then that was the easiest move to do to hide how tired he was. If Anna was tired during her second song, it didn't show, and she didn't lose character (posing at the fans giving 'tude was hilarious and so JLo she didn't really need to have the cameo).

I'm not really a fan of the booty song itself, but you could tell from the audience reaction and John himself from the very beginning of Anna's second song she had won the audience over.

Edited by Check Sanity
  • Love 3

She lacked in performance how exactly? She put all her energy into what she did. The timing of the choreography for both songs were tight (and yes that first one was choreographed, that spin and mic switching hands next to the screen with Emily's face on it was on point).

And lets face it, they *both* cheated. Krazinski's headset was a prop, just as much as Anna's TV screen & t-shirt was. Has it actually been stated that there are no props allowed, or is it just that the first round is supposed to be stripped down compared to the second?

As for JLo being a wasted live prop, the star power from her cameo and her butt were the props. It's a lip sync battle, and not even her battle, why would she sing/lip sync?

John sold his first performance perfectly. The second, however, started strong and even started the "rough" part strong, but he lost energy towards the end. It may have helped if there was more fringe on the top of the dress to see how much he was shaking his chest, but even then that was the easiest move to do to hide how tired he was. If Anna was tired during her second song, it didn't show, and she didn't lose character (posing at the fans giving 'tude was hilarious and so JLo she didn't really need to have the cameo).

I'm not really a fan of the booty song itself, but you could tell from the audience reaction and John himself from the very beginning of Anna's second song she had won the audience over.

When I mentioned that Anna lacked in performance, I meant that hers lacked in comparison to John's performance.  For both performances, John performed, lip synced and danced, as the actual performers did for their respective songs.  John was both JT and Tina Turner, whereas Anna was still Anna.

As for them both cheating in Round one, not hardly.  John switched mic's.  Anna had a video presentation in an attempt to attack John.  Anna's bit would have been overlooked entirely if it weren't for her burn on John's wife.

JLo's star power was a prop?  She was the equivalent of a cardboard cut out.  The Emily video had more theatrical value than JLo's arrival.  Plus, JLo was a singer on the original song.  Why bring her out at all, if you weren't going to have her lip sync her own lyrics to the song?  JLo, herself, mentioned after the performance that all she did was come out and pose. 

John was having a wardrobe malfunction at the end of his Tina bit.  When he ripped off his clothes to reveal the dress underneath, the pants didn't rip off clean.  He couldn't get them off of his feet.  Yet, he performed as Tina, with his feet wrapped up.  Difficult to keep your balance under those conditions.  His "lack of energy" was him trying not to fall.  Anna's act wasn't as intense.  She gave 'tude, but John went full diva legend.  Anna had to bring one in.

Edited by phane00

First, I am deeply and sincerely in love with John Krasinski.

Second, I love that LL seems incapable of sitting for the duration of a performance and always gets up to dance and/or sing along.

• Love 3

I wonder if John not winning was pre-determined since he is a producer of the show. The first 4 battles have had one challenger who was tied to the show somehow (Jimmy Fallon, exec producer, John Legend, married to color commentator Chrissy Teigan, Emily Blunt, John's wife and John) and each of them lost their battle. It will be interesting to see if Stephen Merchant wins his since he is also listed as a producer of the show. 

• Love 3

Interesting point joanne3482.  I read this thread before watching the full performance was sort of wondering if Anna didn't fully hold it down but she was moooooving during that 2nd round.

Honestly, other than the Hathaway/Blunt match-up it's been a bit of toss up for the winners.*  So it's reasonable for the insider to lose.

*Well, except for Dwayne Johnson where I didn't even watch Jimmy Fallon because The Rock singing TayTay is all I need in life.  Although the full gospel choir was a good effort on Fallon's part.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 3

IMHO, the winner is pre-determined.  Crowd volume is the measuring tool for the winner, and the crowd are all plants.  They'll vote how they're told to vote.  If they ever go to a tournament style with the show, then they truly need to have some viewer participation and show the vote counts.

For example, I knew the Rock was winning the first battle for several reasons.  First, the title was a wrestling belt.  Second, he was facing Fallon, who never wins his battles.  Third, he closed the show.  So far, almost every one who closes the show wins the battle.  And finally, four shows in, and everyone connected to the production side of it has lost.  Jimmy (Producer), Legend (married to Chrissy, co-host), Emily (married to John and co-creator), and John (married to Emily and co-creator).  I'm going to go ahead and predict that Stephen Merchant will lose his battle as well.

I'm looking forward to next episode.  With Mike Tyson vs. Terry Crews, I don't think either of them are connected to the show.  So either one can win.

Edited by phane00
  • Love 2

IMHO, the winner is pre-determined.  Crowd volume is the measuring tool for the winner, and the crowd are all plants.  They'll vote how they're told to vote.  If they ever go to a tournament style with the show, then they truly need to have some viewer participation and show the vote counts.

For example, I knew the Rock was winning the first battle for several reasons.  First, the title was a wrestling belt.  Second, he was facing Fallon, who never wins his battles.  Third, he closed the show.  So far, almost every one who closes the show wins the battle.  And finally, four shows in, and everyone connected to the production side of it has lost.  Jimmy (Producer), Legend (married to Chrissy, co-host), Emily (married to John and co-creator), and John (married to Emily and co-creator).  I'm going to go ahead and predict that Stephen Merchant will lose his battle as well.

I'm looking forward to next episode.  With Mike Tyson vs. Terry Crews, I don't think either of them are connected to the show.  So either one can win.

Not to get off topic but Mike Tyson?!  I love Terry Crews and will obviously watch him but... Mike Tyson?!?  Crews better close the show, is all I'm saying.

• Love 1

Well you have either John or...someone who is Broadway trained and is appearing in a movie where she's part of an acapella group that dance a fair amount so I found the fight to be one sided.  If they had swapped it so it was John/Emily and Anna/Anne that would have been a lot more evenly matched. 

Next week will be 32 minutes of "Is this really happening?!"

• Love 1

When I mentioned that Anna lacked in performance, I meant that hers lacked in comparison to John's performance.  For both performances, John performed, lip synced and danced, as the actual performers did for their respective songs.  John was both JT and Tina Turner, whereas Anna was still Anna.

As for them both cheating in Round one, not hardly.  John switched mic's.  Anna had a video presentation in an attempt to attack John.  Anna's bit would have been overlooked entirely if it weren't for her burn on John's wife.

JLo's star power was a prop?  She was the equivalent of a cardboard cut out.  The Emily video had more theatrical value than JLo's arrival.  Plus, JLo was a singer on the original song.  Why bring her out at all, if you weren't going to have her lip sync her own lyrics to the song?  JLo, herself, mentioned after the performance that all she did was come out and pose. 

John was having a wardrobe malfunction at the end of his Tina bit.  When he ripped off his clothes to reveal the dress underneath, the pants didn't rip off clean.  He couldn't get them off of his feet.  Yet, he performed as Tina, with his feet wrapped up.  Difficult to keep your balance under those conditions.  His "lack of energy" was him trying not to fall.  Anna's act wasn't as intense.  She gave 'tude, but John went full diva legend.  Anna had to bring one in.

I guess it's agree to disagree, in terms of them becoming their characters or not and whose performance was more "intense". I saw Anna as fully embodying JLo and the sexy divaness of that song. 

I will clarify though, that I noted the lag in John's performance when he came back to the front *after* lip syncing in Anna's face, when he was doing the chest shimmies and that last spin. He plowed through that earlier wardrobe malfunction like a pro, but that was before the point I'm referring to as a lag. 

Well you have either John or...someone who is Broadway trained and is appearing in a movie where she's part of an acapella group that dance a fair amount so I found the fight to be one sided.  If they had swapped it so it was John/Emily and Anna/Anne that would have been a lot more evenly matched. 

Next week will be 32 minutes of "Is this really happening?!"

According to this vulture write up on the show's success, the bookings are mostly done in tandem and the celebs already know each other. It's that preexisting relationship that makes them comfortable to have all the trash talking bits and ignites their competitive side to go balls to the wall in their performances. 

I am curious though, John to camera told Jimmy Fallon he's the devil, I wonder what that's about. I'm guessing a dare or something because of the dress, has there been anything about that in articles post the episode airing?

• Love 1

I think John's Smooth Tina Turner was better than his Rough Tina Turner.  So good…sometimes it's the understated that works so well.  Anna did great with that J Lo choreo.  It was adorable that J Lo drew attention to her own stutter-step as well.

I don't care at all who 'wins', I'm just in it for the hilarious "oh…my…god" moments, so I'm happy with this episode :)

• Love 2

Well you have either John or...someone who is Broadway trained and is appearing in a movie where she's part of an acapella group that dance a fair amount so I found the fight to be one sided.

My guess is that's the goal, as well. This show seems to be less about competition and more about popular, successful celebrities screwing around on-camera for adoration and bits they hope will go viral.

At least, that's my guess judging by how they release so many clips ahead of the show that nobody has to actually watch it.

Edited to clarify: And I've got no problem with a show about likable celebs farting around when it gives me The Rock singing "Tay Tay." I don't even have a problem with Christie. It's just stupid fun.

Edited by jmonique