Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

(edited)

From James Gunn's Instagram on Feb. 22...

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3qExTkPYpl/ 

jamesgunn After the table read with the #Superman cast. Eve, Mr. Terrific, Superman/Clark, Otis, Lex, producer Peter Safran, Jimmy, Metamorpho, Lois, Hawkgirl, me, Guy, The Engineer all together for the first time! What a wonderful day.

sl-1-768x576.jpg

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Superman: Legacy’ to Begin Filming Next Week; David Zaslav Says News Is ‘Optimistic’ After ‘Studio Has Really Been Underperforming’
By William Earl   Feb 23, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/superman-legacy-film-date-david-zaslav-slams-flops-1235920304/ 

During Friday’s Q4 earnings call, David Zaslav, Warner Bros. Discovery’s CEO, said that James Gunn‘s “Superman: Legacy” will start filming next week.
Zaslav sounded optimistic when delivering the “Superman” news, saying, “Bottom line, the studio has really been underperforming — including at the end of the year where we had some real struggle — but we’re very optimistic about this year, and it has given us the chance to have a lot of upside in the next two years.”

Gunnar Wiedenfels, Warner Bros. Discovery’s CFO, was also frank on the call about last year’s soft superhero offerings.

“On the film side, obviously this is going to continue to be a hit-driven business,” he said. “Just last year was a great example, with the greatest success in the film studio’s history, and some real challenges across the industry on the on the superhero side.”

Wiedenfels also specifically noted that two of the company’s December offerings — “The Color Purple” and the superhero sequel “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” — weren’t great performers.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Grant Gustin: I Would Play The Flash Again ‘If James Gunn Asked Me’
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   FEBRUARY 27, 2024 
https://tvline.com/news/grant-gustin-return-the-flash-james-gunn-1235174645/ 

Asked by a fan the other day if an overture from DC Studios co-CEO James Gunn might get him back in red spandex, Gustin answered (via TikTok/marveldc__6), “Yeah, if James Gunn asked me to play The Flash, I would do it again. I trust James Gunn.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Superman: Legacy is now just called Superman...

James Gunn’s Superman Movie Starts Production
BY: Tim Beedle   February 29, 2024
https://www.dc.com/blog/2024/02/29/james-gunn-s-superman-movie-starts-production 

Leap Day only happens once every four years. The start of a new DC Universe? That comes around much, MUCH less often than that.

Today we were treated to both of these events as DC Studios Co-CEO James Gunn officially announced the start of principal photography on his upcoming Superman movie along with a new, simpler title—Superman. Gunn also gave us our first partial look at Superman’s suit, giving us a snowy glimpse at the distinct new glyph for DC’s latest Man of Steel.

Superman (which was previously titled Superman: Legacy) is both written and directed by Gunn and is set to be the first feature film in a highly anticipated new shared DC Universe, which Gunn and his fellow Co-CEO Peter Safran have been crafting since they were tapped to jointly head the newly created DC Studios in late 2022. Starring David Corenswet (Pearl, The Politician) as the Man of Steel, Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) as Lois Lane and Nicholas Hoult (The Great) as Lex Luthor (who was recently spotted with a shaved head), Superman also features an impressive supporting cast that includes Isabela Merced as Hawkgirl, María Gabriela De Faría as the Engineer, Nathan Fillion as Guy Gardner, Anthony Carrigan as Metamorpho, Edi Gathegi as Mister Terrific, Skyler Gisondo as Jimmy Olsen, Sara Sampaio as Eve Teschmacher and Terence Rosemore as Otis.

20240229_DC_News_SuperSuit.jpg

Edited by tv echo
On 12/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, baldryanr said:

Seems like if a fan is going to get self righteously angry at James Gunn, an easier line of attack is to blast him for blatant nepotism.  I doubt there was an audition process for the role of Maxwell Lord.

On the other hand Sean Gunn is enjoyable to watch. 

On 7/26/2023 at 12:27 PM, millennium said:

IMO, the "Crisis" was a terrible idea from its conception.   It grew out of a corporate marketing strategy rather than creativity.   The overall effect was a lot of noise and what little story it advanced was convoluted and required too much work to understand.  And this is the opinion of someone who's been reading DC comics since the early 1970s -- God help the casual movie-goer.   I wish they would just let it go and move on.   But they can't.  Because they have nothing else.

I agree about ‘Crisis’. 

(edited)

I haven't visited this thread since August.  After catching up, looking at all the linked articles, I saw not one thing that stirs my interest.   It's like these people at DC ruined everything -- they trashed The Flash, they didn't do right by Henry Cavill, they misled Gal Gadot and the fans -- and most egregious of all they foisted Ezra Miller on the movie-going public despite all his wrongdoing.  And now they're trying to razzle-dazzle everybody into trusting them again.   I hope all of these projects bomb.

I do have one question, though:  Otis and Eve Teschmacher are purely movie creations, are they not?  Or did they appear anywhere in the comics canon prior to the 1980s Superman movie?  The Luthor-Miss Tessmacher-Otis trio really dumbed down the movie.  Valerine Perrine was nice to look at but that's all.  I guess Ned Beatty was eager to land a role that afforded him more dignity than Deliverance, but I'm not sure playing a fucking idiot who goes around saying "Yessir, Mr. Loo-thor" was the best way to do that.

Edited by millennium
(edited)
5 hours ago, millennium said:

I guess Ned Beatty was eager to land a role that afforded him more dignity than Deliverance, but I'm not sure playing a fucking idiot who goes around saying "Yessir, Mr. Loo-thor" was the best way to do that

The guy was nominated for an Academy Award a couple of years before Superman, so I think it's safe to say he had already done that before he signed up.  It still holds the record for shortest amount of screentime for a supporting actor nominee (about 6 minutes).  Of course, nowadays people would just complain about how a glorified cameo earned someone such a prestigious nomination.

Edited by baldryanr
7 hours ago, millennium said:

Otis and Eve Teschmacher are purely movie creations, are they not?

Yes, movie creations.

7 hours ago, millennium said:

The Luthor-Miss Tessmacher-Otis trio really dumbed down the movie. 

Hopefully they won't dumb down Gunn's new movie.

(edited)

James Gunn's Threads post yesterday in response to fan asking him to cast Grant Gustin in the DCU...
https://www.threads.net/@jamesgunn/post/C4N6c-KgJhK?hl=en

Grant is an incredibly talented guy, performing now on Broadway, I believe, and is absolutely not going to waste just because he’s not currently in a DC project. But of course I’d love to work with him at some point.

Edited by tv echo
On 3/7/2024 at 9:07 AM, Tenshinhan said:

Yes, movie creations.

Hopefully they won't dumb down Gunn's new movie.

Why then would Gunn resurrect them?   Isn't his whole deal about rebooting the DC universe?  Why would he pull these useless characters out of the 1980s?

While he's at it, why not bring back Wendy, Marvin and Wonder Dog from The Super Friends?

25 minutes ago, millennium said:

Why then would Gunn resurrect them?   Isn't his whole deal about rebooting the DC universe?  Why would he pull these useless characters out of the 1980s?

While he's at it, why not bring back Wendy, Marvin and Wonder Dog from The Super Friends?

Probably a Donner fanboy.  Unfortunately, there are many who are simply unable to part ways with those films.

On 3/8/2024 at 3:09 PM, Tenshinhan said:

Probably a Donner fanboy.  Unfortunately, there are many who are simply unable to part ways with those films.

While the films have their issues, I would argue the Donner films gave us the most accurate live-action portrayal of Superman to date. Christopher Reeves' Superman/Clark Kent portrays him in a way that is both tough but also kind and earnest. The single biggest disservice DC and Snyder have done to Superman is to try to make him dark and gritty. Superman is not dark and gritty. He's a symbol of hope. I hope Gunn takes a lesson from Marvel and Chris Evans Steve Rogers/Captain America on how to do a big earnest boy scout right. I see Captain America as the Marvel version of Superman; big kind tough men fighting for "truth justice and the American way." Marvel found a way to make him relevant to current day, while DC just made him Batman, because the Dark Knight was so well received, not considering they are different characters. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
54 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

While the films have their issues, I would argue the Donner films gave us the most accurate live-action portrayal of Superman to date. Christopher Reeves' Superman/Clark Kent portrays him in a way that is both tough but also kind and earnest.

I agree but my point wasn't against the Donner films so much as it was against the inability to move on from them.  In the fandom but especially with filmmakers.

Smallville, Superman Returns, and even Man of Steel  to a certain extent have had this problem.  If you're going to adapt Superman, then do it your own way.  No matter how successful or iconic the previous iterations may have been.

1 hour ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

The single biggest disservice DC and Snyder have done to Superman is to try to make him dark and gritty. Superman is not dark and gritty. He's a symbol of hope.

Marvel found a way to make him relevant to current day, while DC just made him Batman, because the Dark Knight was so well received, not considering they are different characters. 

None of the DC Comics characters are particularly "dark and gritty" in the first place, but I understand what you mean.  Zack Snyder just knows jackshit about Superman and DC Comics, and also is not the right kind of filmmaker for these kinds of movies.

I see Captain America as the Marvel version of Superman; big kind tough men fighting for "truth justice and the American way."

I can understand the similarities, but Cap and Superman are still different characters.  Especially with regards to the patriotism, which for Superman is not integral to the character and shouldn't be misrepresented as such, in my view.

• Like 1
(edited)

What do you bet that DC's Teen Titans is released the same year in the future that Marvel's Young Avengers is released?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

CINEMACON 2024: DAY 1 - WB SHOWCASES JOKER: FOLIE À DEUX, FURIOSA, AND MORE
by Anthony Alicea | April 9, 2024 
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/cinemacon-2024/ 

Superman and Super/Man
Offering a bit of a DC update, James Gunn appeared in a live update from the set of his 2025 film Superman, promising to share more about the film next year and expressing gratitude for all the Guardians of the Galaxy love. Following that, Gunn’s DC Studios co-CEO Peter Safran took the stage to provide an early look at the DC Studios slate for 2024 and to highlight the upcoming documentary Super/Man: The Christopher Reeve Story, which premiered at Sundance earlier this year to rave reviews. The film incorporates exclusive interviews and never-before-seen footage of Reeve to chronicle the star’s life and disability activism in the aftermath of his horse-riding accident in 1995.

Warner Bros. 2024 CinemaCon Panel Live Blog
By Sean O'Connell   April 9, 2024
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/live/warner-bros-2024-cinemacon-panel-live-blog 

James Gunn is now on screen teasing SUPERMAN, and next year's "The Summer of Superman."
James Gunn is now on screen teasing SUPERMAN, and next year's "The Summer of Superman."
Now Peter Safran is on stage to talk DC. The Superman logo is still on the screen, because Safran is teasing Super / Man: The Christopher Reeve story. This doc earned huge raves at Sundance earlier this year. Put it on your radar. 
Peter Safran says that Super / Man will play theaters in September, and then unveiled the first trailer. It's deeply emotional, incredibly human, and should play enormously well with DC fans, and movie lovers. 

Edited by tv echo

So the costume; still need to get a better look, but it's got all the elements of a Superman costume; I hear some are fussing about the collar, but that's not a dealbreaker for me. I am a bit concerned that it doesn't seem to fit well and isn't form-fitting. Pose is interesting, because I don't think we've ever seen Superman actually put on the costume -- I know it's just the boots, but still.

And he's got the spit curl!

I have no idea about what's going on in the back.

• Like 1
(edited)

The Brave and the Bold is one of several movie projects announced by DC Studios co-CEO and co-president James Gunn earlier this year. The film will take cues from the 2006 Batman story arc, "Batman and Son," with Gunn saying, "This [film] is the introduction of the DCU Batman. Of Bruce Wayne and also introduces our favorite Robin, Damian Wayne, who is a little son of a bitch." No casting news for The Brave and the Bold has been announced, though Guardians of the Galaxy franchise star Karen Gillan expressed interest in playing Poison Ivy in the DCU.

https://www.cbr.com/the-flash-andy-muschietti-batman-dcu/

As a lifelong Batman fan, why would I want to see this?  IMO, Damian Wayne is the worst thing to happen to the Batman mythos, worse even than Harley Quinn.   What makes Gunn believe people want a Robin who is "a little son of a bitch?"  Seems utterly tone deaf.  Either that or it's just a big fuck-you to people like me.   As far as the general public goes, it's etched into peoples' minds that Dick Grayson is Robin.  Not everybody follows comic books.   Most people don't know about the uninteresting parade of Dick Grayson surrogates foisted on us by DC over the years.   Probably even fewer have heard of the Bat-bastard Damian Wayne.   So far, the "DCU Batman" sounds like a suck-fest.

On another note, I think Karen Gillan is greatly overrated.

Edited by millennium
  • Applause 1
On 5/24/2024 at 6:47 PM, millennium said:

As far as the general public goes, it's etched into peoples' minds that Dick Grayson is Robin. 

I honestly don't think that the general public knows or cares who Dick Grayson is.  Robin isn't exactly a popular character to the masses.  

Damian as a little sob might actually be what draws mainstream audiences towards the film, not away from it.  It's an interesting dynamic to explore.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

I honestly don't think that the general public knows or cares who Dick Grayson is.  Robin isn't exactly a popular character to the masses.  

I never suggested he was popular.   For most of my life I have found Robin unbearable.  ( The one exception was Brenton Thwaites' Robin/Nightwing in Titans.)   My favorite Batman was during the 1970s Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams/Jim Aparo, et al. era, when Robin went off to New Carthage to do his own thing, freeing up Batman to return to solo adventures.  

However, I think more people than you suspect would know that Bruce Wayne's youthful ward is Dick Grayson, and that Dick Grayson is Robin, in large part thanks to the 1966 television series.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Robin isn't exactly a popular character to the masses.  

Robin is very popular even if his civilian identity doesn't carry the quite the same recognition as Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent.  If someone refers to a pair as Batman and Robin then virtually everyone is going to know what that means.  In fact, among the DC crew he's probably fourth when it comes to name recognition behind Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. 

(edited)

James Gunn Shares ‘Lanterns’ Update: Damon Lindelof, Chris Mundy & Tom King Among Writers For DCU Series
By Armando Tinoco   May 25, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/05/james-gunn-lanterns-update-damon-lindelof-chris-mundy-tom-king-writers-dcu-series-1235941321/ 

“Yes, it’s true. The Lanterns DCU series is putting together a crack team of writers, based on a wonderful pilot script and bible by Chris Mundy, Tom King, and Damon Lindelof,” Gunn shared on Instagram. “A hearty welcome to Chris and @damonlindelof as they join the DC Studios family (no welcome necessary for old @tomking_tk, who has been here nearly since inception).”

Edited by tv echo

‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Star Pom Klementieff Reveals Talks With James Gunn To Play “One Specific Character” In DCU
By Glenn Garner   June 23, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/06/guardians-galaxy-pom-klementieff-reveals-talks-james-gunn-play-one-specific-character-dcu-1235981299/ 

While appearing at San Antonio’s Superhero Comic Con, the French actress revealed she’s “been talking” to DC Studios co-CEO James Gunn about joining the DCU after first working together on the MCU‘s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017).
“I just want to keep working with James, so we’re going to keep trying to find ways to do that,” she added. “Yes, we’ve been talking about one specific character, but I can’t talk about that right now.”

I'm not sure about all the lines, but other than that I think it's fine. The S is the version from the Kingdom Come story. Pretty good, but may be hinting at something undeliverable. Like, if you say 'this is the biggest and bestest thing ever! It'll be 112% on Rotten Tomatoes and 21/10 on IMDB,' and it's no more than fine, people are going to be disappointed.

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

I'm not sure about all the lines, but other than that I think it's fine

Yeah, the lines are throwing me off. I like the Blue they chose but, there's something about the lines I don't like. Weirdly it reminds me of MCU suits with those lines.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Anduin said:

Like, if you say 'this is the biggest and bestest thing ever! It'll be 112% on Rotten Tomatoes and 21/10 on IMDB,' and it's no more than fine, people are going to be disappointed.

It's a comic book movie, some very vocal people are going to be disappointed no matter what - it's not true to the comics, it's too much like the comics, Henry Cavill/Zach Snyder forever, etc.

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

It's a comic book movie, some very vocal people are going to be disappointed no matter what - it's not true to the comics, it's too much like the comics, Henry Cavill/Zach Snyder forever, etc.

Yes, I know. But why actually invite comparison to something so good on purpose? I suppose I just don't like hype on the whole.

3 hours ago, Anduin said:

But why actually invite comparison to something so good on purpose?

What do you mean by "invite comparison"?  Do you mean to Kingdom Come?  It's just a costume design.  I don't think anyone would take that to mean that the movie was trying to be Kingdom Come in any way.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

What do you mean by "invite comparison"?  Do you mean to Kingdom Come?  It's just a costume design.  I don't think anyone would take that to mean that the movie was trying to be Kingdom Come in any way.

Even if they aren't doing a Kingdom Come plot, using that S reminds people of a very good story. I just think it would be better not to get people's hopes too high.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1