Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Crowd Sourced

(edited)

The plots continue to get stupider and stupider on this show.

I snorted out loud when they entered ..... The Cave.  Was it supposed to be holographic or 3-D projection or what exactly ?  Because it was a painful watching them act against SFX added in post-production.

So the bomber is poo-pooing technology, yet uses the same technology to kill people and is adept at social media, yet Avery thinks it's a bomber that is kicking it old school because of the shoebox used twice previously by the bomber in bombs in Europe.  That's a helluva stretch.

And we finally get introduced to Tobin.  And that was underwhelming. Seriously, what's the over/under on trips made by Avery to the prison to see Tobin ?  Because this is just getting ridiculous.

So the bomber's web site has a deadman's switch, but the bomber himself never thought to do the same for the bomb in his apartment.  And are these super duper blackhats like the bomber unaware of the concept of VPNs/anonymizers/proxies/etc. so that they can't be tracked back to a physical location ?  Because that seems like a pretty simple security precaution to take when you are trying to commit mass murder.

So, the now dead bomber planned all along for the FBI to find his apartment in order to trip the sensor to decrease the trigger off the video view counter from 1000000 to 750000 and actually factored in that the FBI would setup fake clone web sites to decrease the traffic to the actual web site in order to trigger the bomb during the middle of the EDM concert sponsored by a cell phone carrier ?  That is too stupid for words.

Of course Elijah finds the bomb in the first place he looks, but it's too dangerous to disarm in the club so he hops in his SUV with Krumitz and go for a road trip.  Did I get that right -- they used the tablet battery to try and start the SUV and that drained the battery ?  My head hurts just thinking how stupid that was.

Watching that two years ago flashback when Tobin was arrested was PAINFUL to watch because Patricia Arquette was so bad.  I wish they would quit saying Academy Award winning Patricia Arquette in the promos for this show -- because it really dilutes the value of that award based on her performance on this show.

How did Tobin get a NFC device into prison ?  Let alone into his inhaler ?  And why would Brody have NFC enabled on the laptop in the first place so that Tobin could steal malware from the web site -- because that seems like a big security risk ?

I still don't get "the truth" that the bomber was trying to show to everyone, and was he just pissed at cell phone carriers or everybody.  Because shouldn't he have been blowing up telecom towers or taking down social media web sites.

ETA: Bow Wow needs a geography lesson when the cyber team determines that the bomb is in a 1 square mile area of D.C. as determined by cell tower triangulation. Bow Wow says "The football stadium is right there, but no one plays on a Tuesday".  Except neither Fedex Field or RFK Stadium is anywhere near that area highlighted on the map of D.C. so why even bother to bring it up ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Loved the way the view count stopped exactly at 750000, and how everyone kept saying "internet relay chat" instead of just "irc". And seriously, do we have to give the overly-techy description of irc? It's got "chat" in the name, even my 72-year old mom knows what a chat is.

Missed the first part, so what was that view counter counting? Got the idea it was something like youtube views, and seriously dudes, hacking the numbers on a youtube-ish site has got to be easier than the uber-clichéd bomb-disarming scene. No, doing it in a racing car doesn't make it more exciting.

I'm not really smart about that tech stuff  but was it the bomb maker's plan to make the bomb so noticeable? I mean, yea cool opening scene but if the guys would've just told people to get out of the theater at worst you might have had a trampling death or two.

This is the first episode I've seen but is Arquette's acting on this show always this bad? It was pretty noticeable.

• Love 1

This is the first episode I've seen but is Arquette's acting on this show always this bad?

I've never found her to be a very good actress, but in this show she's really bad.

• Love 1

All I could focus on this episode that Tobin looked familiar. Then I realized that he was played by Andrew Lawrence. Hadn't seen him since his Disney days.

I'll be watching this show just to see how bad it gets. Too bad because Patricia A and James Van der Beek talents are so wasted.

All I could focus on this episode that Tobin looked familiar. Then I realized that he was played by Andrew Lawrence. Hadn't seen him since his Disney days.

I'll be watching this show just to see how bad it gets. Too bad because Patricia A and James Van der Beek talents are so wasted.

I think Patricia Arquette is saving her talent as I'm not seeing her put it to much use here.

• Love 2

Patricia Arquette should be hoping this show gets off the air as soon as possible.  God, what a mess.  She was the "special guest star" on an episode of SVU and she was fantastic. This was a couple years after her great run on Medium.  I was hoping she would get another show. (I'm not counting her movie parts.)  She is certainly not to blame for how badly CSI Cyber was cast, written or directed.  She obviously is being told to act nothing but "CSI" stoic and it is not working.  Peter MacNichol is a wonderful actor, but he is given nothing to do but yell out the obvious.  Sorry, I just watched this show a couple of hours ago and I guess I'm still a bit perturbed.   TPTB on CSI Cyber have wasted a good concept and a couple of great actors.  It's a shame.

• Love 3

I truly thought they were totally go full-blown Star Trek holodeck there for a second, and was totally bummed that they didn't.  Because that would have least meant the show wasn't even trying to be realistic, and was basically admitting it is almost pure sci-fi (bad sci-fi, but still).  Instead, I continue to think these guys really think they are being clever and "hip."

I hope Tobin stays locked up, because if he is being set up for a future recurring baddie, well, then I wasn't impressed.  At least it allowed Patricia Arquette to somewhat move past blank for a few seconds.  Too bad it was just weakly smug.  Her acting is still horrible, but, hey, at least they can't ever take away her Oscar.  Then again, I think Peter MacNichol is struggling as well, and James Van Der Beek is barely getting by (mainly because his character is so ridiculous, it is at least entertaining), so I really not holding this against any of the actors.

I don't want it to sound like I find anything wrong with Van Der Beek or the other three actors,( don't know their names) it's just that some groups of actors work really well for a show and some don't.  The original CSI had a perfect cast from the first episode.  You could just feel it.  When I think about it, that chemistry or lack of, along with good writing and directing is what makes a show a hit or miss. That does sound "duh".  Maybe I'm not explaining well. I've just watched television for about, well, exactly 60 years ( oh god ) and I know when it works ( most of the time) and when it doesn't.  That definitely doesn't mean I get it right even half the time - or there would be no Shondaland. Big,big laugh! 

• Love 1

OK, I know I said I was gone, but I just flashed on what that stupid ending to the bomb threat reminded me of. It felt like a modern day retake of the 60s Batman TV series, but I doubt the writers are clever enough to intentionally pay homage to that silliness. JvdB was definitely Adam West's Batman running around Gotham holding a big bomb over his head, and unable to toss it any where due to civilians in his way.

It's not as if they were carrying a nuclear bomb. They could have parked the truck in an alley behind some business that was closed for the night. Sure, their truck would be toast and the building might suffer some structural damage, but they were carrying on like the entire city would go up in a mushroom cloud. At least Robin, or whatever the chubby sidekick's name is, finally got his fist bump, so that just makes everything better. *gag*

And while I'm complaining, distraught mother needs to dial back the martyr complex. You didn't kill your son by bringing your cell phone to the movies.

I find it hard to believe how bad this show is. The storylines are contrived at best. The acting is terrible - does Patricia Arquette have any affect at all? I'm not sure why I am still watching.

• Love 1

I was just thinking how lucky they were that the bomb was in DC. Then again, it doesn't seem like they have trouble teleporting to anywhere else in the US. If they knew the bomb was at the EDM thing, why not call them and tell them they had to cancel the event because there was a bomb there? Or if it was too late to cancel, just call before Elijah left and make them fucking evacuate? There is a local DCPD no?

Edited by solotrek

The only other thing I can remember seeing Patricia Arquette in was the kid's movie Holes - which was surprisingly good all around - and she was much better there, but then some weird magic must have been going on for that movie because even Shia LaBeouf was good in Holes.

• Love 1

I'll be watching this show just to see how bad it gets.

Andrew Lawrence! thank you! he looks like a young Brendan Fraser.

purely hatewatching this show now. Everything is bad. The writing, acting, editing, "special effects", intro... just bad.

Andrew Lawrence! thank you! he looks like a young Brendan Fraser.

purely hatewatching this show now. Everything is bad. The writing, acting, editing, "special effects", intro... just bad.

This was in hatewatch territory from the first five minutes of the first episode, I think.  Perhaps at most it needed another few episodes though just to convince us all it's INHERENTLY this awful and it wasn't just a bad pilot.  This is, hands down, one of the worst shows ever made in the history of TV.  Laughing at it is really the only way to go, IMO.  

Shocking to me is that it's Metacritic metascore (compiled from various reviews of it) is 45/100.  It's incomprehensible to me that it's higher than 10/100.  And registered IMDB users on it's IMDB page have averaged out a rating of 4.7 out of 10.  I mean... what?  The hell?  That means some people have been giving it 10s to balance out the 0s and 1s I'm sure it's also getting.

• Love 1

Important life questions:  Can I still use the "deep web" to order a pizza?

Also, I just feel so bad that the costume department couldn't manage to order a helmet large enough to cover James Van Der Beek's forehead in time for that big bad scene.  All those agents in their full protective gear, but Dawson had to play it off like he left his helmet in the van... smh.

I hope this show is on forever.  It is comedy gold.

• Love 2

I gave on more try and right at the beginning I am asking myself wouldn't actual CSI's in the ATF not Dawson and Bow wow be picking through the debris