Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

As someone with no dog in the fight, it has been funny switching between YES (the Yankees' network) and SNY (the Mets) as they offer "different" views about the plunking of Teixeira, (David Cone "I'm not accusing him of anything, but. . . ), Robles' meltdown accompanied by Rivera's 27 visits to the mound and accusations of sign stealing.

• Love 1

I love Texy so very much and hope he can be productive for a long long time (take that, Robles) but I also cannot WAIT for his transition to the analyst role.  It is going to be so much fun.

• Love 2

The Giants are actually hurting me right now. Like, trading away one of my favorites isn't bad enough, last night's game had to end because of an error by the guy who is going to play his position instead? A walk-off? In extras? With my dude Jake Peavy pitching out of the bullpen now? Aaaaargh.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

The Giants are actually hurting me right now. Like, trading away one of my favorites isn't bad enough, last night's game had to end because of an error by the guy who is going to play his position instead? A walk-off? In extras? With my dude Jake Peavy pitching out of the bullpen now? Aaaaargh.

That game was so amazingly tragic, it was actually kind of impressive. I thought we had hit rock bottom before, but this might take the cake. I don't know what's up with Bochy's managing lately. He keeps our starters in too long when it's clear they're gassed out. But then the bullpen bleeds runs like they're suffering from a heavy period. It's almost expected that they'll give up the lead, it's just a matter of how many runs they'll hand to the other team. They should have just lost in the 10th innng so at least they could have gone home earlier to get more sleep for today's game. This Matt Moore dude better shock and awe us today. In a good way. 

I really really hate Bobby Evans right now. Nothing about Nunez is impressing me whatsoever. Good job with yet another game-losing error dude. You haven't earned your place on this roster. These new dudes are messing up that magic chemistry in the ballclub. And it shows. Pence needs to be pulling a 2012 and giving all kinds of inspirational speeches in the locker room. We need something, and it sure as hell didn't arrive in the form of Nunez. I haven't seen enough of Will Smith to know if he'll get jiggy with it, but seriously if Moore doesn't perform well today, I will make a Bobby Evans pinata so I can smash it repeatedly. 

On the bright side, at least the Smurfs lost. Except now the Rockies are catching up too. Gosh darn it all, I miss Duffy. Even if he was on the DL, his spirit was there. The infield was glued together and on the same wavelength. 

ETA: Span was one of the worst decisions too of this year too. And we're stuck with him for 3 years. Get him out of the lead-off spot Boch! Argh. Pathetic, just pathetic.

Edited by MattDuffysCat
  • Love 1

Giants won a game! And it was another extra innings game.  Sergio Romo got the win although he didn't get credit for facing an official batter.  He came in in the bottom of the 9th with the score tied, got to a 3-1 count on the batter, and the guy on first was caught trying to steal, so the inning was over without Romo getting an official batter.  Then the Giants scored in the 10th and went on to win.

Well hopefully they return to form and lose the rest of the weekend ;-p  (That will be the extent of my trash talking)  Oh and just so you know, Ryan Zimmerman wasn't acting when he hurt his wrist.  He was out the last three games.

6 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Hey MDC, I think Span may have just won you the game.  If all goes well.

Good luck tomorrow for your team, well at least I hope Denard does well.

Go Nats.

Yeah, that's fine and dandy, but I still think he was not a smart addition to our team.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Is there anything sadder than an inning-ending, game-ending double play in the middle of a rally?

Yes. See most of the Giants' games post-ASG. Have you ever seen a bases loaded, no one out, triple play? :-P

• Love 1
4 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Well hopefully they return to form and lose the rest of the weekend ;-p  (That will be the extent of my trash talking)  Oh and just so you know, Ryan Zimmerman wasn't acting when he hurt his wrist.  He was out the last three games.

Well, hopefully we return to our first place form pre-All-Star break. :) We need all the morale-boosting we can get with all the recent blows to the team.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Is there anything sadder than an inning-ending, game-ending double play in the middle of a rally?

When the Mets do it to the Yankees, there's nothing sad about it!

38 minutes ago, MattDuffysCat said:

Have you ever seen a bases loaded, no one out, triple play? :-P

I was watching that game, I really thought the Giants were going to come back and beat the Nats, that was a crazy play.

• Love 1

WTF I didn't mean that Texy should retire this season what is happening to the Yankees ugh.

I suppose I need to start making my piece with the exit of A-Rod too? WTF.

Basically their entire farm system was bought from other teams.

As much as I hate to say it, maybe it's time for Tex to hang 'em up.  He can't stay healthy, and his production has fallen off so much that I can't see him rebounding.  Assuming Greg Bird recovers fully, it's time to pass the torch.

What else happened on Wednesday? I know he hit a HR and got a HBP right after, and there was some macho bench clearin' stuff. Is he out again cause he got hit in the leg?

If your team is rebuilding, don't you want to get it started sooner than later? Watching Boston finish in last place the last few years hasn't been fun. 2013 excepted.

During the seventh inning or so some cat named Robles was pitching and he completely lost his mind and the catcher had to keep going out to the mound to discuss signs - at one point he walked back and forth TWICE.  Robles turned to Tex who was on second and accused him of stealing signs and barked at Tex when Robles was pulled from the game.  It was actually pretty funny and Tex said so in his post-game interview but he also appeared annoyed.

I want to rebuild but I also hate change.

Apparently YES is having a press conference at 3pm.  I'm trying to make room on my DVR, but I can't bring myself to delete Bernie/Andy/Jorge's number retirements or the Yogi Berra memorial stuff.  :(

14 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

If your team is rebuilding, don't you want to get it started sooner than later? Watching Boston finish in last place the last few years hasn't been fun. 2013 excepted.

I'm still barely hanging on as a Braves fan, mostly because it's hard to quit.  That being said I had a FB memory from three years ago today when I was all giddy that the team was on their second 10 game winning streak of the season.  Fast forward to today and we're reaching for epic futility in the loss column.

Yes, I'd rather rebuild sooner than later even though it's painful.

Anybody else have HBO? Bill Simmons took Bartolo behind the woodshed on the latest Any Given Wednesday, bringing up his girth and secret family. I don't consider myself to be an apologist, but I don't think Bart gets a pass because of his gut. Part of it is also an age thing. Also, he's still a good pitcher at 43. He got his tenth win last night. All the Mets asked of him was to compete every five days when one of their thoroughbreds was resting, and he's done a good job.

17 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

It's weird listening to Johnny Holiday in the booth instead of Bob.

Go Nats

ooooo....I may be able to actually watch the game tonight then.  

Although when the Os game starts...

mojoween, watching the Yanks vs Indians now and Gary Sanchez has thrown out 2 runners and I am impressed. He may be the real deal. Time will tell and I think Joey G will use him a lot at catcher.

Andrew Miller already has started to grow the facial hair. I miss him already.

19 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I think the Mets once got into an unassisted triple play to end an game. Only them, y'know?

I'll just leave this for you :) 

Not bases loaded but still great . I wish I could find the Phillies radio call of it because it was an awesome call from Scott Franske

• Love 2

Andrew Miller already has started to grow the facial hair.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!  Don't hide the pretty!!!!!!!  (In addition to being an all-around cool guy and great pitcher, he really has kind of a Gregory Peck Thing going on.)

(edited)

Just got a notification on my At Bat app that the Yanks and ARod are having a press conference tomorrow's at 11 am.  Anybody want to take a guess what it's about?

GMTA, mojo!

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1
On 8/3/2016 at 10:16 PM, mojoween said:

I love Texy so very much and hope he can be productive for a long long time (take that, Robles) but I also cannot WAIT for his transition to the analyst role.  It is going to be so much fun.

I'm not sure he'd be that good at it ;)

Edited by xaxat

Texy can do no wrong heh.

That's very generous of Hal to give Alex a job with the Yankees considering the Yankees have to pay him next year whether he's in New York or living in Miami anywhere else in the world.

I don't care, I love A-Rod.  He handled his idiocy all wrong but if I didn't root for players who did something wrong I wouldn't be watching sports.

And so on August 13 the question can be officially asked...in 2021, does he get into the Hall?

Edited by mojoween
On 8/5/2016 at 0:44 PM, mojoween said:

It was very difficult to watch A Rod sit there while the pr guy spoke. His emotions during his statement were hard for him and I found them sincere. Clearly it is easier to answer the questions. Love his Spanish. He remembers 2009 as his best memory and it is special to all his team mates.

As I have mentioned before, one roots for the laundry and while he has never been my favorite Yankee (Andy,Jorge) I gained a bit of love after last year. He's a good guy basically who I think has "grown up" in recent years and that's it.

Now if only CC would put down the glove. 

Does that mean he will collect his full contract salary while being an "advisor." Or will he be getting another salary for his new role plus his contract.

I bought a $35 ticket as soon as the press conference started. Between enjoying Alex as a Yankee, especially these last few years where it felt particularly contrarian to do so, and the fact that my dude Matt Duffy might be making his first start at shortstop for the Rays in that same game, it is a combo pack of emotions and I will be present.