Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

My thing is that I prefer NL style baseball. Regardless of how generally successful pitchers might be, I like how the game is played when there is a pitcher in the 9th spot, and I also get a lot of enjoyment from pitchers who can hit, or pitchers who usually can't but then manage to do something awesome. That's fun for me. I'm fine with the idea that not everyone agrees with that. It actually works out really well! People who don't like that style of baseball can watch American League teams and enjoy the game with the DH instead of a pitcher batting 9th. What I take issue with is that it's basically all set as it is, yet pro-DH folks still feel like they need to win. People who like the DH have their 15 teams and the people who don't have theirs, yet it's the people who already have what they want trying to force the issue onto the other half. I don't hate watching AL ball and I'm not going to stop watching baseball if the DH becomes universal, I just don't get why it HAS to become universal. I also like that the two leagues have a few differences that need to be considered and worked around when they meet. Interleague allows managers to get a taste of situations they might meet in the World Series. If it becomes a competitive advantage, that's because a team didn't prepare as well as they could have.

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 6

I like that the pitchers get all excited over another pitcher getting a hit.

Actually I would be fine with getting rid of the specialized pitchers  I think a pitcher should be able to get a lefty and righty out and I think a pitcher should be able to at least sacrificial a runner over more often than not.

They can make all interleague, All star and WS games DH if they really want to but let the regular season be DH free for the NL.  But I would prefer they didn't tbh.

Edited by tom87

I was surprised when I heard, but it looks like a good deal all around - yes, the Mets probably overpaided some, but I'd rather they spend a few extra dollars now and not tie up money in a big contract five or six years from now when his skills diminish and their young pitchers are in their prime and looking for big money. And if Cespedes has a monster year and helps bring home a WS trophy this year, then decides to opt out and look for a bigger payday, we can thank him and move on.

Both At Bat and ESPN wanted me to know that Mike Trout was up all night and called in to The Weather Channel to report on the storm.

I don't know how to embed so hopefully this link works. Jason Grilli of the Braves was doing a book signing at Barnes & Noble and I went and got his book. He and I share an alma mater, I graduated three years before he did.

• Love 2

Good for the Mets because no way should they have allowed Nats to get Ces. Seeing Ces and Murphy in Nats uniform would have been too much for the fans. 

No team is a guarantee but they have to be considered the top team to beat. 

Re the DH and interleague, I hate interleague. Except for the natural rivalries (NY, Chicago, LA) it's just annoying to me. I even hate the Subway Series! At first it was sort of fun but no more.

On the DH, I remember the pre DH era and frankly I prefer more offense than seeing pitchers hit. But really, if it were abolished I would't lose sleep over it.

What I do wish is that pitchers absolutely had to know how to bunt. I know that most everyday players can't bunt but damn if most pitchers could actually be successful at it then losing the DH might not matter so much. Also, wouldn't it be great if you could use a pitcher as a pinch hitter if you needed to move a player over. Save one of your better hitters on the bench for when you REALLY need the run.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 3

I'd prefer seeing the pitchers hit in the NL. Considering some of the hitting slumps some of the players have, sometimes the pitchers are the only ones with offense.

As for Cespedes, I don't care either way. The Nats have a good outfield, although Werth is so darn injury prone that it would have been nice to have another experienced outfielder. If anything, the Nats showing interest just caused the Mets to spend more money that they won't have later.

• Love 1

So I guess the commissioner is walking back his DH in the NL talk. I suspect it was more because NL owners didn't want to pony up more payroll and not about sticking to tradition.

The Mets sign Cespedes.

The Nats can't possibly be as bad as they where the second half of last season.

The Giants? It's an even year.

Theo is doing his thing with the Cubs.

The Dodgers have more money than they know what to do with.

The Cards are the Cards.

And my Pirates didn't do anything this offseason. I'm not feeling too optimistic right now.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

You know, 240 years ago we kicked England to the curb, so why do our sports leagues insist on playing games in London?

ETA

I understand playing games in Japan because there's a built in fan base but England doesn't make sense.  Do they even play Rounders anymore?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6

Classic O'Jays. When R & B meant  something. Not MLB worthy but Eddie and Walter have 2 of the best goose bump raising voices ever. Love them!

I cannot wait for pitchers and catchers. Spring is near!

Edited by prican58
  • Love 5

You know, 240 years ago we kicked England to the curb, so why do our sports leagues insist on playing games in London?

Goodness, I'm agreeing with mojoween about something? Blasphemy!   Even moreso because they want a Sox/Yankees game.  I hate when football games are played in the UK-  and those NFL teams get a week off between games. How's that gonna work? Boooooo! to all of this.

• Love 3

Someone on MLB Network (I think Cliff Floyd) suggested they get 4 Divisional teams to do it, but he was overall against it because it would mess up routines the players have.

Plus how many days would they get off between flying over and flying back?

I cannot wait for pitchers and catchers. Spring is near!

Flight and hotel booked!  Tickets to 3 games bought!  Making restaurant reservations this week.  St Petersburg, first week of March, here we come!!!!

• Love 1

Does this mean London will have second division teams littering their cricket fields soon? No way would they get Red Sox/Yankees during the regular season.

For anybody outside of NYC . . . the Mets are going to retire Mike Piazza's 31 in July. He becomes the fourth Met to be honored in that way. I'm hoping John Franco gets some credit, since he gave up that number to Piazza when he came to the Mets in 1998.

Flight and hotel booked!  Tickets to 3 games bought!  Making restaurant reservations this week.  St Petersburg, first week of March, here we come!!!!

I'm getting the ball rolling for my fourth annual birthday at a spring training game with a group of girl friends and this year we're eyeing the Mets vs. Nationals in Viera since we're tired of paying Disney prices.  Three of us are New York natives, one is Quebecois (so the Expos/Nationals tie in), and the other has no allegiances and just enjoys taking a day off from work!

• Love 1

I've long been puzzled/entertained by British shows that routinely depict gang toughs as baseball-cap wearing and baseball-bat wielding. Why do UK sporting goods stores even stock baseball bats?!?  And why can't they beat each other up with cricket bats?!? Perhaps there's a baseball groundswell there after all!

• Love 3

Attica's post inspired me to look it up: Cricket vs baseball bats

There may be some logic to preferring a baseball bat for self-defense. Aluminum baseball bats are typically around 40 percent lighter than cricket bats, and are therefore easier to wield.

And this too

Although we have no specific evidence on the relative worlds of hurt that can be meted out by either pieces of wood (or metal), our theory is that the baseball bat is easier to swing. The cricket bat is shaped to guide the ball or stroke it along the ground. It’s heavier and bulkier.

I know that my sister has always kept a Louisville slugger nearby in both car and home for "just in case" situations.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1
I know that my sister has always kept a Louisville slugger nearby in both car and home for "just in case" situations.

If you tell us her car has the driver's seat on the left, I'll be super impressed!

Ya know mojoween, the Yanks could make an offer to the Sox for Hanley if you need help at 1b...

That oughta be an adventure this season.

Also- would the Yankees try to move Judge from the OF to 1b?

ETA: LOL mojo did you catch this?  Jetes and your mortal enemy, together!  (brain exploding emoticon goes here)

Edited by King of Birds

Re Greg Bird. yes, it sucks but it's been noted in some NYY blogs and such that the Yanks could actually re-sign Tex after the season. He's only 36 and still a force (when not injured). I actually thought about that very recently. The only reason Yanks want to let him fly is because of the big contract.

Why couldn't they sign him for 3-4 seasons for a manageable amount of money, whatever that may be? Certainly towards the end of whatever contract he signs at worst he could be a DH/backup 1B. Really, if he has a season equal to 2015 and avoids injury he could return. Naturally, it's all relative/speculative, but in theory Tex could be our first baseman of the short term future.

Just sayin'.

BTW, who is Pedro Alvarez? I have seen his name mentioned as someone the Yanks might consider signing. Plays 3rd and 1st. 

Edited by prican58

BTW, who is Pedro Alvarez? I have seen his name mentioned as someone the Yanks might consider signing. Plays 3rd and 1st. 

Pedro was the third baseman for the Pirates. Until he got a case of Steve Sax Disease. The Pirates moved him to first, where he was equally awful defensively. So they let him walk. It is brutal to watch in the field. He's got some pop, but that's about it.

He's a local though, Washington Heights.

Edited by xaxat

He's only 36 and still a force (when not injured). 

"Only"? The drop off every year after 31 is just extreme. Very few players are any good at that age. (I say this as a late thirty-mumble-mumble too.)

Over on a Mets list I belong to, someone said this was the second time he was caught using boldenone, and had previously been caught using stanozolol; both were described as "old school, unsophisticated, easily detectable." TJ Quinn of ESPN tweeted "taking boldenone/stanozolol is like trying to shoplift an elephant. Someone's gonna notice"

Just watched the MLB Network feature "The Colorful Montreal Expos" narrated by Captain Kirk.  It was really wonderful.  Seems the room got quite dusty during the second half since my eyes were watering a bit...  

I almost want to sent the Nats back north.  

Oh, I have to try to see that Expos piece because I was a fan of that organization. I had always been kind of fascinated by Canada and I think I started liking them way back when the Mets traded Ken Singleton and Tim Foli to them. When they got to be a fairly decent team back in the Gary Carter era I really kind of loved them.

Also I loved the Dominican connection when Felipe Alou was the mgr. My dad was fairly friendly with the Alou Bros. 

I miss the powder blue unis. Funny how I thought I would be a Nats liker but I'm kind of not. 

For some odd reason I liked how ridiculously cavernous Stade Olympique was.  I thought Youppi! was the coolest mascot this side of the San Diego Chicken, loved the two different measurements listed on the outfield wall (metres and feet), and enjoyed hearing both French and English over the PA system.  Montreal certainly was a unique baseball town and also one with a proud history thanks to being the farm team of the Brooklyn Dodgers and having Jackie Robinson break in with those Montreal Royals since Canada was (and maybe still is) much more tolerant and accepting.