Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Baltimore’s City Connects are rather plain.  It’s refreshing.

I really hated them at first when they were wearing black pants because they looked like pajamas.  They're not so bad with the white pants.

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

This series, in July, is the last time this regular season that the Yankees will be in Baltimore.

Maybe that's a good thing since people keep getting plunked when they play. 

I don’t know who should be more worried,  MLB, Comcast or Bally, but I don’t miss watching baseball as much as I thought I would.  However, it seems like neither Bally nor Comcast are worried enough to actually do anything to end their dispute.  I guess neither side is losing enough money to care.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

It was raining and seemed like the ball slipped out of his hand. Don’t know what the big fuss was about.

I think the fuss was that the Yankees players and/or coaches in the dugout were chirping and laughing about it, that seemed to be the reason the Baltimore manager charged the dugout.

I don’t think the hit was on purpose either because of the rain but it’s definitely not a good look to laugh about it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Orioles fan here.  I'm trying to decide if it's worth the agony to watch again tomorrow. 

But I know I will.  

Eventually I'll get tired of rationalization, but:

Even if they lose again tomorrow, they are only one game out going to the All-Star break.

The can regroup over the break.

Better to have the slump now than at the end of the season.

...Anything else to help me get through this?  Go, O's!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DMK said:

I think the fuss was that the Yankees players and/or coaches in the dugout were chirping and laughing about it, that seemed to be the reason the Baltimore manager charged the dugout.

I don’t think the hit was on purpose either because of the rain but it’s definitely not a good look to laugh about it.

Thank you- I just saw the clip of the pitch and didn’t realize they were laughing about it. Makes more sense why they were angry.

(edited)

Tyler Phillips,who grew up a Phillies fan, just made his first Major League start (he made his debut last week in Atlanta) he got the win in the ballpark he grew up going to with his dad and his grandfather.  🥰

Bryce Harper hit a home run and now has hit a home run against every team in baseball.

Dustin May ,who had not pitched this season but was expected to start rehabbing,will now miss the rest of the season after having surgery to repair a torn esophagus 

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 2

Possibly by throwing up in a next-level way similar to some youngster that had way too much to drink.  Or if alcohol wasn't in play a bad reaction to something one had to eat

1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

How does one tear their esophagus? 

As noted above, violent vomiting can cause it.  It can also happen when someone accidentally swallows something with a sharp edge that tears it.  May reportedly felt pain while eating.  It could be a bit of bone or even a piece of glass was somehow in his food and he swallowed it and it was at just the right angle to tear the esophagus.  This is a very serious injury and often has a long and complicated recovery.  

• Sad 1
  • Useful 6

Justed watched the Jomboy breakdown 

The Yankees have hit the Orioles 10 times? No wonder they were so upset. This one clearly wasn't intentional but it was scary. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Johannah said:

Orioles fan here.  I'm trying to decide if it's worth the agony to watch again tomorrow. 

But I know I will.  

Eventually I'll get tired of rationalization, but:

Even if they lose again tomorrow, they are only one game out going to the All-Star break.

The can regroup over the break.

Better to have the slump now than at the end of the season.

...Anything else to help me get through this?  Go, O's!

Rodon is pitching today.  You’re good.

• LOL 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Roku sucks.  Baseball at 11:30 on a Sunday morning sucks.  In-game interviews suck.  Rob Manfred sucks.

I got rid of my tickets for today because I'm not leaving the house at 9am on a Sunday to go to a game.  So there! 

Also, yes to in-game interviews and Rod Manfred sucking.

However, I'm pleasantly surprised at the Roku broadcast...probably because it's mostly our guys doing it 😄

Edited by ebk57
  • LOL 1
19 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

However, I'm pleasantly surprised at the Roku broadcast...probably because it's mostly our guys doing it 😄

I'm also pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Roku broadcast. Matt Vasgersian is the neutral, MLB Network guy and with him in the booth, they've got one regular Yankees' broadcaster, Jeff Nelson, and one Orioles' broadcaster, Ben McDonald. The sideline reporter is also an Orioles' guy, but that makes sense to me because they're at Camden Yards. Even as a Yankees' fan, I have no complaints with the coverage. 

Carlos Rodón serving up a two-run homer to Henderson? That I have a problem with!

• Like 1

The game they were just talking about in 1998 - I was there.  Sitting out in left field.  I was looking down at my scorecard and when I looked up, all the guys were running towards the infield and I had no idea what had just happened.  But it made me laugh because there were gloves littering the field since they dropped them on the way in to the "fight."  Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.

• Like 1
(edited)
33 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

The game they were just talking about in 1998 - I was there.  Sitting out in left field.  I was looking down at my scorecard and when I looked up, all the guys were running towards the infield and I had no idea what had just happened.  But it made me laugh because there were gloves littering the field since they dropped them on the way in to the "fight."  Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.

Very cool that you were at that game! IMO, that is one of the few, benches clearing altercations, that doesn't need those quotation marks. Punches were actually landed, especially by Graeme Lloyd and Darryl Strawberry. It wasn't the first time Armando Benitez had deliberately thrown at Tino and that 1998 team absolutely had his back. That incident solidified the unity of that amazing team, all the way to 114 regular season wins, plus the 11 playoff victories to win the World Series.

This is a good game today. I'm not happy with the Santander dinger, but the most interesting games are always those close games where the lead goes back and forth. Should be a good final four innings.

Edited by ProudMary
Typo
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I'm also pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Roku broadcast. Matt Vasgersian is the neutral, MLB Network guy and with him in the booth, they've got one regular Yankees' broadcaster, Jeff Nelson, and one Orioles' broadcaster, Ben McDonald. The sideline reporter is also an Orioles' guy, but that makes sense to me because they're at Camden Yards. Even as a Yankees' fan, I have no complaints with the coverage. 

Carlos Rodón serving up a two-run homer to Henderson? That I have a problem with!

The broadcasters are OK, but on my TV, the picture looks like something out of the 1960’s. Dark and grainy. No comparison to YES, Prime or Apple TV. We couldn’t take it and turned it off.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Santander is a cuss word.

Holmes is a cuss word.

I have zero confidence in him any longer. Give Weaver a shot at the ninth. This was a crushing loss.

Congrats to the O's on the Division lead going into the All-Star break, and to our Orioles' fans in this thread. Enjoy the break!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m sure Clay is a wonderful fellow, but his ASG invite should be rescinded.  He needs to stay home and Think About What He’s Done.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4

Sweeping the dodgers then losing 2 of 3 to the A's feels like a very Phillies thing to do. 

But I'll take going into the all star break with the best record in baseball and no worse than a 8 and a half lead in the east. 

Well, I didn't have to decide whether to watch the O's/Yankees game since I don't get whatever channel it was on.  Do they really think I'll subscribe to a channel for one game when they play 162?  I can see it if I live out-of-market for my team or I would require it to watch the majority of my team's games.   

Would have been nice to see the 9th inning, though.

So, Yankees fans:  looking forward to an interesting second half of the season.  Hope it's competitive throughout!

Good luck to everybody's teams ... especially the Orioles!

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Well, I didn't have to decide whether to watch the O's/Yankees game since I don't get whatever channel it was on.  Do they really think I'll subscribe to a channel for one game when they play 162?  I can see it if I live out-of-market for my team or I would require it to watch the majority of my team's games.   

You don’t have to subscribe, Roku Channel is a free app.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DMK said:

You don’t have to subscribe, Roku Channel is a free app.

When I tried to get it, it told me I had to subscribe.  Maybe there was another way to get to it?

• Like 1
Just now, Johannah said:

When I tried to get it, it told me I had to subscribe.  Maybe there was another way to get to it?

I don’t know what to tell you, I downloaded it and it didn’t make me subscribe. I think I just hit “guest.”

• Like 1

Yeah I did it as Guest too.  At first it tried to make me use the Roku device that I don’t have, but I finally figured it out on their busy, busy home page.

I am going to watch the Derby tonight, because I always do, but I am apprehensive about the new rules.  Feels like they are needlessly complicated.

• Like 1

Thanks, DMK and mojoween.  I guess I just blew it.

I heard there are new rules for the HR Derby, so I'll pass judgment later.  I do think I heard it wasn't a single elimination, which I think could be more fair.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Johannah said:

Thanks, DMK and mojoween.  I guess I just blew it.

I heard there are new rules for the HR Derby, so I'll pass judgment later.  I do think I heard it wasn't a single elimination, which I think could be more fair.

I think we're on Roku again in September (on a weekend that I will be in NY - anyone want to go to a Yankees game on 9/9? I don't necessarily, but if someone does, I'll consider it).  We have a Samsung TV, so we just followed the directions on the Roku website and were able to watch the game on the TV.  If you don't mind watching on your computer, it's even easier.  Just go to the RokuChannel website and watch.  No need to sign up or anything.

Definitely watching tonight as well.  This year's rule, for me, are awesome.  That's really compared to what they changed it to about a decade ago.  Change for the sake of change, according to me, but as mentioned, I'll have to tune in to decide whether they should have stuck with what they did each of the last 8 HRD

Well, the lone Cardinal on the ASG roster - Ryan Helsley - just opted out. Not sure I'm even going to watch at this point. Between the "marketing" MLB picks, the nonsensical player votes, and guys dropping out like flies, it doesn't really seem to be the best players.

• Hugs 1
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Star-Spangled Banner, it was performed.  And that’s all I have to say about that.

As she was singing, this is what I was thinking of:

• LOL 2
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Star-Spangled Banner, it was performed.  And that’s all I have to say about that.

That's okay - I'll say it.

She was really, really, really bad.  I mean really bad.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2

ESPN can fuck right out of here with bringing that shitty analytics broadcast from ESPN2.  If I wanted to watch that crap, I know where to find it.

23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

ESPN can fuck right out of here with bringing that shitty analytics broadcast from ESPN2.  If I wanted to watch that crap, I know where to find it.

Are they doing the same broadcast on both channels?  We have ESPN2 on just because of Kevin Brown.  But I haven't been paying attention because I got a phone call about my September NYC trip as soon as it started, so I'm just starting to watch now.

Ah, yes.  I guess I tune out all the analytics because I hate them.  I'm managing to not be too annoyed at all the graphics here because I love Kevin.  

• Like 1

In my honest opinion, 2 things can be true.  Hernandez backdoored throughout the night for the title.  Plus, I cannot say anybody else "deserved" to win before him.  That's the HRD

Was rooting for Anyone But the Dodger (or Marcell Ozuna).  Dang.

Surprised at Pete Alonso’s showing.  Related but unrelated Michael Buffer called Hernandez “Te’oOscar” which was weird.

1 hour ago, bosawks said:

If Bohm couldn't pull the upset, I firmly in the "anyone but Ozuna" camp.

Bohm did such a good job. Especially because people didn't think he was going to do well. 

If Bohm couldnt pull the upset I was for  anyone but Ozuna or Alonso.

• Like 2

I wish nothing but the best for the girl, especially as she humiliated herself on a national stage, but surely she had handlers who could have tried to prevent that?

• Like 6