Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I still have that newspaper. Also the VHS tape of the game is floating around somewhere.

Is there a Ripken bobblehead giveaway tonight?

Alas, no giveaway at all tonight.  It's like they're trying to keep it low-key for some odd reason.  

I had the game on tape too...as a matter of fact, it may still be in the tape cabinet.  Perhaps someday I'll look...

xaxat. we were at the last game of his streak.  The next day, we started the drive to Kansas City and St Louis.  I think we were somewhere in West Virginia when we heard Ryan Minor was playing.  

*sigh*

I turn on the TV. Mets are down 6-0 to the Phillies. A few minutes and hits later, they're down 6-4. I'm starting to think about DVRing Comedy Central's new stuff while the Mets relievers attempt to put out the fire. One problem: the hydrant they hooked the hoses to? Gasoline. It's now 14-4, and I don't think the Mets can come back. I had hoped they could overcome a six-run deficit, but ten runs? That would take a miracle. I mean, I'll check in, but I don't think the Phillies are that hapless as to blow a ten-run lead.

• Love 1
Also the VHS tape of the game is floating around somewhere.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I thought we were keeping it old school analog, baby! Philo Farnsworth city! None of this 'record a television program' science fiction shit! 

Oh, wait: that's Aim. Sorry mojo!

(I kid because I love.)

Edited by attica
  • Love 4

ebk57 & jennifer6973 : what in the heck is happening to the O's?  The Red Sox are in danger of losing last place!  (And a protected pic in the amateur draft.) It's like they're tanking, while the Red Sox do a little something-something that should have happened in May.  (sit Hanley and play JBJ)

That game was brutal.  

Pregame was lovely.  Mid 5th inning was lovely.  The rest can go into the trash can right now.

I was thinking of you, King of Birds, while watching the scoreboard.  If I have to choose, I always choose the Yankees to lose.  But now, we're so close to last place...  it's a puzzlement... :-)

Nationals lost on a walk-off. MLB.com has the Mets' magic number to clinch at 26. They're also a half-game behind the Dodgers for the second seed. It's going to be an uphill battle . . . if they hold the lead and manage to beat Greinke and/or Kershaw, they'll either have to win in St. Louis or face a more improbable underdog team in the Cubs or Pirates. And if they make the World Series, they'll have to start on the road (stupid "All-Star Game counts"), likely against another "Why Not Us?!?" team. Or the Yankees. Don't think I could stand another Subway Series, especially if it's a rout like in 2000.

I don't know what's happening to the O's because I haven't really paid attention unless they are on my tv, (like now when they are playing the Rays).  It seems the DC-Bal region of MLB has decided to choke and choke big.

I was doing my best not to jinx the Nats last night and trying not to cheer the Mets losing big, because I didn't want the teams to turn around and lose or turn around and win.

The Nats problem is I believe Drew Storen's bruised ego.

Also I think the Nats problem is me paying more attention to them since 

a:  Bryce Harper's cover shoot for ESPN

b: Tuning into Max Scherzer's almost perfect game.

c: The availability of games I could suddenly watch after that, thanks to MLB Network for about two weeks 

Edited by jennifer6973
Or the Yankees. Don't think I could stand another Subway Series, especially if it's a rout like in 2000.

Lantern7, as a NYY fan I can almost assure you that if there is a Subway Series, the Mets will win it because while the Yanks' bullpen is outstanding, the Mets' starters are way more consistent and better. All the Mets need to do is keep the ball away from Parnell and Niese. Maybe those two should shave those effing beards off. It's not a good look on any man, IMO.

If Tex doesn't come back (highly likely) the Yanks don't have much hope.  

Never thought about that. Also, I have memories of trying to get to a Yankees parade to write a story about it, and hearing chants of "1986!" To see the Mets win a Subway Series in October would be so sweet. Of course, there are other intriguing match-ups to be had at the World Series. Cardinals/Astros, for instance . . . the hackers versus the hacked. Or Cardinals/Royals, a rematch from 1985. How about Mets/Astros, two teams that entered MLB at the same time and had a pretty epic NLCS back in '86?

For anybody who has never been to a minor league game . . . this is more of a "worst case" situation. Still cute, though.

ETA:I think Niese needs an identity of his own. Harvey is "the Dark Knight" and there's Thor, Jacob deGrom is the "hair guy," and Bartolo Colon is the over-40 husky guy. What can Niese bring to the party?

Such a cute video clip.  If plans and the weather hold up I should be at a minor league game this Saturday night with my boyfriend and his 11 year old son.  Attendance at the last game we went to (high 'A' St. Lucie Mets) was maybe 100 people but it was a good game and lots of fun.

Yankees are up 12-5 over the Red Sox in the eighth. A Rod at bat with rookie Rico Noel on deck to pinch hit for his first major league at bat. A Rod advances Gardner to third and Joe Girardi decides to pull the rookie! In a 12-5 game! I felt so bad for the kid.

The Yankees booth was so surprised and disappointed at the move that they were literally left speechless. Michael Kay had to explain why the booth had gone silent.

That game was too close. I felt bad for the kid but oy. Shoulda left Tanaka in a little longer, Joe!

Also, I didn't realize until today just how pretty Tanaka is. His interpreter wasn't hard on the eyes either. [\shallow]

• Love 2

Sign That This Might Be The Mets' Year: Ruben Tejada is at the plate with a runner on base. He smacks a 3-2 pitch to right field. Domonic Brown misplays the ball, and he flips over the side wall. By the time the Phillies gets the ball to the infield, Tejada slides in with an inside-the-park homer. Brown seemed to be okay, but he was taken out of the game a few innings later.

What minor league game are you going to Aim?  Can't be a GCL game, as the GCL rookie league Red Sox won the championship today!  Wooo!

(come on, I have to cheer for something!)

St. Lucie Mets, high A Mets affiliate in the Florida State League.  According to their schedule it'll be the second to last game of the season and it's against a team from Bradenton, which I assume will be a Pirates affiliate.

St. Lucie Mets, high A Mets affiliate in the Florida State League.  According to their schedule it'll be the second to last game of the season and it's against a team from Bradenton, which I assume will be a Pirates affiliate.

Two lovely stadiums in the great Spring Training circuit.  Both did great remodeling jobs.  Really love the Port St Lucie complex!

Two lovely stadiums in the great Spring Training circuit.  Both did great remodeling jobs.  Really love the Port St Lucie complex!

Tradition Field is nice!  I still have yet to visit McKechnie in Bradenton (only reason is that it's about three hours from Orlando) but it's on my short list.

I don't know what's happening to the O's because I haven't really paid attention unless they are on my tv, (like now when they are playing the Rays).  It seems the DC-Bal region of MLB has decided to choke and choke big.

I was doing my best not to jinx the Nats last night and trying not to cheer the Mets losing big, because I didn't want the teams to turn around and lose or turn around and win.

The Nats problem is I believe Drew Storen's bruised ego.

Also I think the Nats problem is me paying more attention to them since 

a:  Bryce Harper's cover shoot for ESPN

b: Tuning into Max Scherzer's almost perfect game.

c: The availability of games I could suddenly watch after that, thanks to MLB Network for about two weeks 

The Nats are absolutely aggravating.  A bunch of missed opportunities and stupid mistakes that blow up in their faces, along with the numerous injuries.  Their starting pitchers usually can't get any run support (they can have tons of strikeouts and only give up one or two runs, but the Nationals can't score enough runs for their pitchers to get wins) and although their closers might have good numbers, they're just not consistent.  Storen is just the most recent of Nationals closing pitchers who have had inconsistent save sessions.

As far back as they are now, I still won't count them out.  They have six more games against the Mets this season (including the last 3 games of the season) and almost all of their remaining games are against the NL East.  If they can get a good winning streak going, stay healthy, and get wins that coincide with Mets losses, I think they might still have a chance.  If they can't pick up any games against the Mets next week, they're pretty much screwed.

Tangential to the topic, but the judge in Kentucky that put the no-gay-marriage-license county clerk in jail is the son of Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Jim Bunning. 

Back on topic: Josh Donaldson was being interviewed on MLB wearing a truly dorky hairdo. What we used to call a dorkknob. How do you fit that under your cap, I wonder? (Maybe that's what The Kidz do these days. I don't know. I'm old.)

Schilling can state whatever opinion he wants, no freedom of speech curtailed.

It's up to his employer ESPN if it bothers them that he voices such opinions. I dunno he just seems like a blowhard who can't grasp that discretion is the better part of valor.

• Love 2
Back on topic: Josh Donaldson was being interviewed on MLB wearing a truly dorky hairdo.

I didn't see the Donaldson clip- not sure about that hair. But - it's that time of the year, right? They've called up kids from the minors, expanded rosters- soon there will be the "rookies have to dress up as _____"  photos.

And, Mojo, if ESPN had to start doling out apologies for every lame thing that comes out of Bristol  ... it'd be a daily occurrence.

• Love 4

I wish the O's could bank some of these runs tonight.  They've certainly been in short supply lately...  

Oh, btw, if anyone wants to go to the O's game on the 12th (scarf giveaway!), I have an extra ticket (can't hurt to try...:-) )

Mets lose in 11 innings. At least they didn't make things boring in Miami. Dunno if you can pin the loss on the Daily News posting a cartoon of Terry Collins pulling a magic number-holding rabbit out of a hat, a la Davey Johnson in '86. Here's hoping the rabbit doesn't have to perform CPR on Terry.

Stacy1014, do you think Nats will fire Matt Williams if this mediocrity lasts till the end of the season? It's been said Wally Backman could be in the running as I think he has ties to the the GM or someone who was at Arizona when Wally was there. Wally's been in the Mets minor league system for years and can't seem to get the nod.

That's interesting for some Mets' fans as these Mighty Mets seem to be thinking World Series or Bust and it doesn't seem like too many are asking for Terry Collins' firing any more. 

Seeing Wally and his gung ho attitude in a Nats uniform would cause all sorts of anxiety. He remains a treasure in Mets' fans hearts and minds. Amazin' indeed!!!

Stacy1014, do you think Nats will fire Matt Williams if this mediocrity lasts till the end of the season? It's been said Wally Backman could be in the running as I think he has ties to the the GM or someone who was at Arizona when Wally was there. Wally's been in the Mets minor league system for years and can't seem to get the nod.

That's interesting for some Mets' fans as these Mighty Mets seem to be thinking World Series or Bust and it doesn't seem like too many are asking for Terry Collins' firing any more. 

Seeing Wally and his gung ho attitude in a Nats uniform would cause all sorts of anxiety. He remains a treasure in Mets' fans hearts and minds. Amazin' indeed!!!

I'm not sure if they will fire him. I think it depends if they finish the season with a winning record.  We're not from DC; we're from the Hampton Roads area and the only reason we became Nationals fans is because MASN was showing the games and we've always been NL fans (Dh is a former Mets fan [dropped the team when they started signing a bunch of overpriced washed up players] and I'm originally from NE PA, so I've somewhat followed the Phillies).  Dh jumped on the bandwagon when Strasburg came along and was hooked after his first visit to the stadium.  Aside from what shows up on my FB feed, I really don't follow the behind the scenes stuff on the Nationals.  

Williams was given a pretty good team when Davey Johnson retired, but there's only so much that he can do.  He can't throw or hit the ball from the dugout.  I think they need to start phasing out Werth and Span and let some of the younger guys play; Taylor, Robinson, and the other bench guys did a great job last month before everyone came back.  They really need to get their pitching under control.  Their starters and middle guys have been inconsistent.  I like Pappelbon as a closer.  I think they made a mistake trading and not trying to get Clippard back earlier this year during the trading deadline.  Their previous closers, not including Storen, were so inconsistent, especially Soriano.  

If they finish below .500, he deserves to go.  If they have a winning record and keep it competitive until the final 3 games, I think he deserves to stay one more season to see what he can do with a healthy team.  If they're healthy all next season and they still can't clinch or make it past the first round of the playoffs, then maybe they should look elsewhere for a manager.

Bartolo Colon just pitched a complete game nine-hit shutout. He also had a fancy flip behind his back to get an out, which had the announcers and dugout in stitches. It should make the highlight reels on sports shows tonight, so be sure to look out for it. Only drawback was that the Mets didn't score after plating seven runs in the first two innings. And the ruckus over Matt Harvey's innings. And the Braves' inability to show up against the Nationals. Heck with it. Viva Colon!!!!

ETA: I forgot to mention that Colon hasn't given up a run in his last 25 innings. Orel Hershiser probably isn't sweating over Bart, but it's an impressive stretch for a guy his age.

ETA2: Bartolo made the top ten highlights on Sportscenter. He came in at #3, behind a small college football player's one handed TD catch and the BYU Hail Mary pass. Would a "Hail Mary" be ironic for a Mormon school?

A's give up three runs in the first inning before Felix Hernandez even touches the ball.  smdh

It's like where have these Mariners been all fricking year?  This is their first five-game win streak all season.  They might actually make it to .500 for the season.  It can't be all Edgar Martinez.  

I'm a Mets fan and this Matt Harvey thing has really been eating me up. I get it, I really do. If I was in line for a potentially enormous pay day a few years from now I'd do everything I could to help ensure I got it. Any reasonable person couldn't blame him, or Scott Boras, for protecting their assets. What really bothers me is that in a situation in which the Mets--THE METS!--of all teams managed this situation (Harvey's return from TJ surgery) about as well as any team could have, he and his agent are making them out to look like imbeciles. The team could have run Harvey out there last September for a few meaningless starts to sell some tickets but they didn't. They could have listened when he moaned about skipping starts, or moaned about going to a 6 man rotation, or moaned about being yanked after 6 innings but they didn't. If he's hurt, he should say so. If he's fatigued, he should say so. If he fears he's being pushed too far, he should say so. Hell, I think a lot of people would respect it if he just came out and said "I'm in this for the money." For me, my disappointment lies not in potentially losing him after the next few starts (and hopefully the playoffs) but rather the fact that you have a team on the verge of doing something very few thought was possible. Something the organization and the fans have been desperate for for what seems like a heck of a lot longer than nine years. They are in the midst of a gigantic week and now he's made it all about him. One giant, unnessecary distraction when the focus needs to be on beating up on the NL bottom feeders and taking a series in Washington. It's early September. It's a five game lead. It's all hands on deck and he either needs to play or shut up and get out of the way. They way he's gone about it is extremely selfish and unfair to the rest of the guys in the clubhouse.

ETA: this is the best and most objective article I've read on the subject:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/62535/there-is-no-right-decision-on-what-to-do-with-matt-harvey

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1

ETA: I forgot to mention that Colon hasn't given up a run in his last 25 innings. Orel Hershiser probably isn't sweating over Bart, but it's an impressive stretch for a guy his age.

ETA2: Bartolo made the top ten highlights on Sportscenter. He came in at #3, behind a small college football player's one handed TD catch and the BYU Hail Mary pass. Would a "Hail Mary" be ironic for a Mormon school?

It was the Premier Play on Quick Pitch as well. I watched the game last night and thought, is there nothing this guy can't do?