Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Admittedly, I haven't paid as much attention to off-season negotiations as I used to when I was managing several fantasy baseball teams, so I wasn't aware of how much the qualifying offer had been escalating but HOLY MOLY! From Joel Sherman. 

MLB qualifying offer getting increase to record high

The Major League Baseball qualifying offer will rise to approximately $20.5 million for players on the upcoming free-agent market, The Post has learned.

An exact figure must be agreed to by MLB and the MLB Players Association no later than 10 days after the 2023 regular season ends.

The Post has been told, however, that the mean of the top 125 salaries from 2023 (the formula for calculating the qualifying offer) will be very close to $20.5 million. That would make it a record for a process that began in 2012.

• Mind Blown 2

I missed the Mets clinching a losing record. They played on Fox, but the local affiliate is running the (Football) Giants game from Amazon Prime instead. There’s a lesson to be learned there.

I am not feeling the postseason races. As long as the Cobb County Crackers don’t win it all, I’ll be okay with the final results.

• Like 2

Well, how ‘bout my Royals!! sucking for five months, then playing Sassy September Spoiler!

You’re welcome, Rangers fans!!  Consider it payback for Cole Ragans (❤️ him) and a favor repaid to Chris Young, 2015 World Series reliever nonpareil.

• LOL 2

Speaking of teams clinching a losing record as well as the NL including the Central & Milwaukee, I missed a historic comeback courtesy of Pittsburgh at the expense of Cincinnati.  If I could do it again, I'd still miss it, but what's amazing for me is that they lost their 81st game a long time ago.

It was a painful May following the opposite in April.  What could've been, but somehow they are still in the WC race or were.

I'm okay with the Brewers winning as much as I'll be okay if they don't.  I think they're due for the title

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Josh Donaldson and Aaron Hicks are firmly entrenched in the playoffs.

Happy for them (especially for Aaron) but super duper sad for a legion of Yankees fans.

I still think the reception Aaron got when he returned to the Stadium as an Oriole was uncalled for, and I’ll die on that hill.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Welp, that’s that.  Baseball is OVER.

At least you get to rebuild for next year. Mets fans are probably not getting that hope until after 2024. Why did they boo the salute to Max? Because he basically said that Santa Claus would be skipping Flushing this Christmas.

• Hugs 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Welp, that’s that.  Baseball is OVER.

Let's face it, the Yankees' season pretty much ended on June 3rd at Dodger Stadium. The offense forgot how to hit when their leader went down. 

We did  have a fun week when they brought up all the kids, and then Dominguez tore his UCL. 😢

• Sad 3

I'm definitely on the Mariners bandwagon especially for the next three days and, giving BIG props to @voiceover's Royals for their performance over the last three! I'm rooting for whichever team is playing the Astros from here on. If they can actually be kept from making the playoffs completely, that would be beautiful. 😍

As for which team I'd like to see win the WS, I'll be rooting for the Orioles. I have a couple of sets of friends in Maryland, with kids who are now young adults, who've never gotten to experience a championship. With the Yankees out of it, I'd like to see that for them. Plus, the Os are a fun team to watch. 

Edited by ProudMary
Added Maryland for clarity.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I'm definitely on the Mariners bandwagon especially for the next three days and, giving BIG props to @voiceover's Royals for their performance over the last three! I'm rooting for whichever team is playing the Astros from here on. If they can actually be kept from making the playoffs completely, that would be beautiful. 😍

As for which team I'd like to see win the WS, I'll be rooting for the Orioles. I have a couple of sets of friends in Maryland, with kids who are now young adults, who've never gotten to experience a championship. With the Yankees out of it, I'd like to see that for them. Plus, the Os are a fun team to watch. 

I love everything about this post!! 🧡

• Like 4

Let's set the Wayback Machine to June 28, 1969...

Been going a lot of old boxes of stuff and came across this ticket. It was the first Met game I ever attended; Dad took me a few days after my ninth birthday. Mets played (and lost to) the Pirates that night. It was also Old Timers Day at Shea, and they had a bunch of old Brooklyn Dodger, New York Giant, and Yankee players - I got to see Joe DiMaggio play. I didn't know who he was, but Dad grew up a Yankee fan in Joe's prime, and I could tell by his reaction that he was someone special.

image.png.8621a224e79ee562d99b19636924a726.png

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Michael Kay and David Cone are giving a lovely eulogy to Brooks Robinson; it’s so cool to hear from people who saw him play.  Makes me miss Kenny Singleton even more because I bet he would have the greatest stories.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Michael Kay and David Cone are giving a lovely eulogy to Brooks Robinson; it’s so cool to hear from people who saw him play.  Makes me miss Kenny Singleton even more because I bet he would have the greatest stories.

My sister worked with Ken Singleton at the TV station here.  And since then, he is always referred to in our house as Kenny "he's such a nice guy" Singleton, because, well, he's such a nice guy. 

My one personal encounter with Brooks was getting his autograph on the picture of him leaping into the air after the World Series win.  And he didn't just want to sign his name, so he wrote "Thinking of you" before signing it...  which is sorta weird, but really sweet.  

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Right after Brooks' book was published ("Third Base Is My Home"), he did one of those book-signing events at a local Baltimore store.  When I got there, the line was gone and it was just Brooks and me.  I could hardly breathe as I asked him to sign a book for my husband.  He wrote, "Happy Father's Day . . . Brooks Robinson."

We've become disenchanted with most professional sports, but we still treasure that book.  

RIP, Brooksie.  Thanks for showing professional athletes what class looks like.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Hall of Famer and Orioles legend Brooks Robinson has died at the age of 86.

One of the true greats. Man, could he pick 'em. May he rest in peace.

I cried last night.  I'm ready to cry again now.  Over a sports figure.  That's how special he was.

• Hugs 5
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Hall of Famer and Orioles legend Brooks Robinson has died at the age of 86.

One of the true greats. Man, could he pick 'em. May he rest in peace.

Some of my very first memories were of watching Orioles games with my mom.  She is a huge Orioles fan and Brooks was always her favorite player and became one of mine as well.  He was a great player but an even better person off the field and will truly be missed.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was at Memorial Stadium for the Red Sox game in 1977 which featured an hour-long tribute to Brooks before the game.  The atmosphere was incredible, sad that he was leaving but celebratory in reflection of his fantastic career with the Orioles.  It didn't even matter who won the actual game.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Well the Jays invited the Leafs to the stadium today to hang out, so I think that's pretty much it for their playoff chances. It'll be a miracle now if they even get in.

Go.....Brewers I guess?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

This is magical. image.thumb.jpeg.65cac52c9ba93d99110653fcc6a0114c.jpeg

That's the picture! He insisted on making it personal because, as someone said on the radio today, he didn't think of us as his fans, but as his friends.  An amazing man. 

Brooks.jpg

• Love 10
On 9/11/2023 at 7:53 AM, mojoween said:

I have to wonder - HOW does a quadzillion dollar company have such shitty audio equipment?  

Well, this bears repeating! 😡

I don't know if this was a complete disaster for everyone; perhaps it only affected out-of-market viewers, but the entire post-game, on-field interview with likely Cy Young Award winner, Gerrit Cole, was video only, NO AUDIO!

Shit like this goes on ALL SEASON!!! I know tonight was officially a Prime broadcast, but it's the YES Network broadcast, just re-branded.

• Sad 2
On 9/27/2023 at 2:09 PM, mojoween said:

This is magical. image.thumb.jpeg.65cac52c9ba93d99110653fcc6a0114c.jpeg

Sure is.  I grew up in Cleveland, always an Indians fan, waiting until next year.  However, Baltimore was my 'playoff' team and Brooks was my favorite Oriole.  They made the playoffs regularly and won the World series, too.  I have fond memories of watching those games on TV with my grandfather, wishing we had a team like that in Cleveland.

Not to mention the fact that Baltimore's manager, Earl Weaver, was hella entertaining.  Legendary tirades.  I was actually at the game in 1979 in old Municipal Stadium when Weaver tore up the rule book and jumped up and down on the little pieces.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I have no doubt Schilling is going to play the victim here and go off on his usual rants.

It's inconceivable that a player who was so integral to the 04 WS has become the most hated athlete in Boston.  I think Red Sox fans would rather buy A-Rod or Clemens a drink than have to be in the same room as Schilling.

• Like 8

From MLB Network: Clips from Terry Francona's last home game in Cleveland. This Yankees' fan has nothing but the utmost respect for him. Always pure class. I wish him a long and happy retirement and look forward to his ultimate induction to the Baseball HOF.

Edited by ProudMary
Because home shouldn't have an "n" in it!
  • Like 5
  • Love 5

I've been fortunate enough to go through life as if Curt Schilling didn't exist.  To be more specific, if someone brought up the guys name, and then another person said, "There is no such thing as a Curt Schilling.  A Curt Schilling is a make-believe living thing in a world of fiction," I'd believe it.

The only unfortunate thing about that is that had it not been for this news, I would have gone through today not even thinking about Curt Schilling being a part of the history of Planet Earth.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Did they clinch the division? Congrats. They earned it. Tough team. 

How do you feel about the 5 day bye? I really dislike it. I don't mind the third WC as part of the new format, but I'm really not into that 5 day break. Not that I have to worry about it with the Jays.

Edited by cleo

Mariners fans really need to stop with that rally shoe thing. They traipse all over the stadium tread by 40,000 people and then put that disgusting shoe on their heads. Nasty. 

• Mind Blown 1

The Yankees finished on the road in 2013 and 2014, when Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter retired, respectively.  They finished on the road last year (when Aaron Judge went for 62, which obviously that couldn’t have been anticipated when the schedule was made, but still).  They are finishing on the road this year.  What the hell, MLB?  Can we alternate this shit?

Michael Kay did an ad for Apple where it said to ask Siri for the MLB standings.  So I did.  First time I’ve looked at the entire league records this season, and what I learned is that the AL East is the best division.

• Like 3