Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

It was torture for me just WATCHING this game on TV. I kept thinking how awful it must have been for them to keep slogging away inning after inning in this heat.

Good thing they didn't play in Queens . . .. I think we cracked 95 here.

Exactly.

The Texas Rangers fans are chuckling at y'all right now. 95 is status quo. 85 might require a sweater.

• Love 1

Hubby grew up outside Dallas. I grew up outside Houston. We met and married in Houston and moved north twelve years ago. No matter how cold the winters are and how many blizzards we face, our answer is always the same: "It's better than Houston in August!"

Back to baseball, can't wait to see Craig Biggio inducted this weekend!

Hector Sanchez of the Giants hit a Grand Slam tonight and pitcher Dale Thayer of the Padres took his chewing gum out of his mouth and threw it at Sanchez.

And yet that wasn't enough for the Padres! Jawed at Hector after his next AB and the benches all had to come out and circle each other all intimidating like. Hey, if you don't want a grand slam hit off of you, don't give up a grand slam.

• Love 4

Mets lose in brutal fashion and sports radio is going nuts. Fans are spinning and reeling and ripping Terry Collins. "Crushing" was the word used by Mike Francesa on WFAN radio. "Devastating" is another word being thrown around. As a NYY fan I will not comment. 

What say y'all, Mets fans? I do sympathize. 

What say y'all, Mets fans? I do sympathize.

1)The baseball season is 162 games long, and even the best teams lose a lot of games compared to other sports. 

2) Nothing can compare with the disappointment of September 2007 for a Mets fan.

3) It ain't over yet.

• Love 2

I bought tickets tonight to go see the Yanks and Blue Jays on 8/8 with my son. I am super excited, I've never been to a Yankee game before. We are driving to Secaucus, taking the train to Penn Station and the subway to the Bronx.

If A-Rod gets the day off I will be FURIOUS.

• Love 2

My boyfriend and I are leaving on a road trip early Friday morning and I'm sad that I won't be able to watch Smoltzie's induction into the HoF this weekend.  Given the way Maddux and Glavine roasted him in their speeches last year I expect some payback this year!

Perhaps you guys can watch it and enjoy it for me?  Please and thank you?

Aim, I'd suggest that these days, there are technologies that permits a person to watch a program at a time other than the one at which it was originally broadcast, but given what you confessed upthread about your suffering from cathode-ray syndrome, I ...hesitate to do so. [whispers] MLB.com [/whispers]

Mojo, have fun! Yankee Stadium is really beautiful. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Aww Aim maybe someday. But you said you had the At Bat app doncha? I bet they will hook you up with some Smoltzie.

So you know how the Yanks have giveaways of cool stuff like umbrellas, and adorable teddy bears, and toy trucks, for example?

Well they said the giveaway for when we are at the Stadium and while a sponsorship by Pepsi is always welcome, the item for the first 25,000 guests is a...cowboy hat. I cannot even articulate how bummed I am about this.

Oh King I'm not ignoring you but I just thought I should give you some space and NOT talk about...well, you know.

Edited by mojoween

Aww Aim maybe someday. But you said you had the At Bat app doncha? I bet they will hook you up with some Smoltzie.

You bet I do and as a T-Mobile customer I get some portions of the full At Bat app for free.

(edited)

If I go away from here, and then never click on espn or mlb.com or any baseball site, will the pain of watching/ following the Red Sox this year go away? Like, does social + entertainment denial work?

Let me know if this works because I'd like to forget this last series sweep of my O's by the Hated Yankees!  

That said, mojoween, enjoy Yankee Stadium!!  It really is a great place to watch a game.  And they managed to keep it feeling just like, well, Yankee Stadium, but now it's all shiny and new.

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 1

Watching the Mets game. Kershaw was perfect through four. I turn off the TV, busy myself, flip back to the game . . . and Kershaw is perfect through six. I don't follow the Mets, but I feel like I know them so well at this point. Thank goodness for Curtis Granderson getting a hit. I don't know the last team to be no-hit twice in a season, but I know it's a stigma to be avoided if possible. The good news: Greinke might miss his start due to his wife giving birth. I reckon she would be the unofficial MVP for the Mets this weekend if he has to skip the series.

ETA: Mets lose, 3-0. Kershaw's own consecutive scoreless inning streak hits 29. Should innings 21-29 count because they came against the Mets?

1)The baseball season is 162 games long, and even the best teams lose a lot of games compared to other sports. 

2) Nothing can compare with the disappointment of September 2007 for a Mets fan.

3) It ain't over yet.

ratgirl, did you see today's Mets lineup? Mayberry Jr is batting clean up! He's not even hitting .200! Duda is  hitting 6th! That's terrible!

Colon only gives up 1 run, a homer, but Kershaw pitching perfect through 7. Top 9th 1-0.

Good luck. Ya gotta believe!  

ratgirl, did you see today's Mets lineup? Mayberry Jr is batting clean up! He's not even hitting .200! Duda is  hitting 6th! That's terrible!

Colon only gives up 1 run, a homer, but Kershaw pitching perfect through 7. Top 9th 1-0.

Good luck. Ya gotta believe!

Lantern, Donnie Baseball said Greinke will prob pitch this weekend but maybe not his scheduled turn.

My apologies for the bad editing/posting.

• Love 1

ratgirlagogo . . . what about the last game of the 2008 season? Tom Glavine lays the ultimate stink bomb, capping the Mets' second straight collapse, and sending Shea Stadium off on the lowest note possible. I think the only worse sendoff was when the Texas-bound Senators had to forfeit their last game in Washington because of unruly fans.

I actually recorded the game because it was the Shea finale. I never saw it. I was in Baltimore for a comic book convention, and when I heard about the Mets loss, I just laughed. Really, the only way it could have been worse is if Glavine ripped off his jersey to reveal a Braves t-shirt, telling the Shea faithful to suck it.

ETA: As bad as Shea was, I figure it could have been renovated over time. It's just that Fred Wilpon had a big ole Brooklyn Dodgers boner, and he wanted his own Ebbets Field.

• Love 3

Yeah, that was bad too.  But 2007 just felt worse, to me.

As bad as Shea was, I figure it could have been renovated over time. It's just that Fred Wilpon had a big ole Brooklyn Dodgers boner, and he wanted his own Ebbets Field

As I've said before, none of these new stadiums "needed" to be built.  It's a tax dodge all over the country.  The book Field of Schemes is a must-read, I'm telling you.

http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/product/Field-of-Schemes,673388.aspx

At least Fred Wilpon built that nice Butch Huskey monument in the rotunda of Citi Field.  What I was really hoping for was that Ralph Lauren paid for naming rights, and called the place the Polo Grounds.

As I've said before, none of these new stadiums "needed" to be built.  It's a tax dodge all over the country.  The book Field of Schemes is a must-read, I'm telling you.

That's on my Amazon list, just as soon as I get through a few other things.

(edited)

[loud voice] I don't have a DVR [/loud voice (with big smile because you guys are awesome)] 

Do you have to churn your own butter? Put a big tray of ice in the ole icebox instead of owning a fridge? This trip with the boyfriend- is it on horseback?

Sorry... sorry sorry. 8 losses in a row does this to a man.

(PS it doesn't work ebk.  I clicked on At Bat while walking the dog last night. I couldn't help myself)

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 4

Colin Cowherd fired by ESPN for his racist comments about Dominican players.

I wonder if this will change his relationship with Fox Sports.

Sourdough fuckboy is a fabulous modifier!

I can't stand the guy.  I hope this puts a real damper on his Fox Sports career.

I'm watching the Nats game on MLB Network, why are they in the first base dugout, I thought that was reserved for the home team

Each team can decide which dugout to use.  Per Wiki (and it is never wrong!), there are 12 teams currently using the third base dugout at home.  The O's used the third base side way back in Memorial Stadium, but when they moved downtown, they went over to first.

Currently watching the Mets being down 6-2. I just saw a promo for a Jesse Orosco bobblehead, where he's on his knees after striking out Marty Barrett to win the 1986 World Series. I might have to go to that game in late August.

ETA: aaaaaaand Jimmy Rollins just hit another homer. Lucky he's with the Dodgers now, and the Mets only have to deal with him twice a year. Also: here's the Jesse bobblehead.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Phillies are 6-1 since the all-star break. Yes they are still have the worst record in baseball but at least they have been fun to watch. There have been times this season that as much as I love them they were really hard to watch.

Eta : Good to see Jimmy still giving the Mets a hard time :)

Edited by shoregirl

Ok so two things...first I am burning my Andy Pettitte number 46 t-shirt that I wore yesterday because nothing good happens on any sporting field when I wear it. Second, there is no turning back from this team because last night I got an interlocking NY tat on my wrist. So it has to be Yankees forever, heh.

• Love 1

Ok so two things...first I am burning my Andy Pettitte number 46 t-shirt that I wore yesterday because nothing good happens on any sporting field when I wear it. Second, there is no turning back from this team because last night I got an interlocking NY tat on my wrist. So it has to be Yankees forever, heh.

Oh, mojo, not Andy!!!! Just don't wear it anymore. Frame it, do something with but no burning! I so love Andy and my #46 t shirt is still hanging tough. 

(edited)

Fun fact of the day.   The price of a beer at all the major league ballparks:

http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/ranked-price-beer-mlb-stadiums-2015/

It's kind of hard for me to understand some of it, in that it's supposed to be the price of the cheapest smallest beer available.  By any standards Fenway is the worst at $7.75 for a 12 oz beer - but right below you see a list of other $7 plus beers - all of which are 16 oz at least.  The $7.75 beer for the Phillies is 21 oz - seriously that's the SMALLEST beer you can buy at Citizens Bank Park?

Edited by ratgirlagogo

I just saw a promo for a Jesse Orosco bobblehead, where he's on his knees after striking out Marty Barrett to win the 1986 World Series. 

I don't hate the Mets (since Mets fans generally hate the Yankees as much as I do) but that #$%!@&! bobblehead should be destroyed.

Way to bury the lead. What "nothing good" happened to burn the 46? I'm all for this burning btw but all of us people who wantonly walk around with the AtBat app want to know.

And- tattoos are never a good idea.  For all you know, the interlocking NY is a sign of the devil in the next world.  (Roll with me, people...)

• Love 1

Prican I promise I won't burn it. It's going to the bottom of the drawer, but I won't burn it.

If the interlocking NY WERE the sign of the devil, I'm ok with it. I've often been told I'm going to hell anyways.

The Pettitte t-shirt has caused the Yankees to lose 10-1, the Duke Blue Devils to lose to Notre Dame, the NY Giants (and the NY logo is also a new tat as of last night) to lose to Dallas...and on and on for other Duke/Giants losses. You would think I would have learned before yesterday, but I thought I'd give him another chance. Nope!

• Love 1

Mojo, if a shirt possessed all that power, there isn't any reason not to use it for Good! Wear the shirt to the wedding of your rival! To the campaign event of your Political opponent! To any Red Sox game, ever! (Apologies to King, Sorry, not sorry. ;) )

As to your tat, let's hope your mummified remains are discovered by some future or alien anthropologists, who will write dissertations on the enigma of 21st C humans and their peculiar skin markings!

• Love 2

King of Birds . . . I take it you wouldn't be happy to find out the bobblehead will be given away during a Red Sox/Mets game? Is that insult to injury?

ETA: Found out about Hammels about an hour ago. Nice silver lining to a dismal season.

ETA2: Mets win, 15-2. Only down note was Rollins homering yet again . . .but who cares?!? The new guys produced, and it turns out Kelly Johnson's at-bat music Is "Intergalactic" from Beastie Boys, which is awesome.

(edited)

If this was Coles last game as a phillie what a way to end a great career in a Phillies uniform.

This was the first time in 50 years that the Cubs were no hit 7921 games. The last one l? Sandy Kofax in 1965.

Edited by shoregirl

Texas folks...I hear it's going to be near or at 100 degrees this week during Yanks vs Rangers. Does TX still play at the same stadium or did they get a domed home? How is it possible to play so many games in that high heat? And I don't want to hear the old "it's not the heat, it's the humidity" because dammit, 100 is too effing hot!

Do Texas teams usually play in the evening? If I were an athlete I would never sign to a high heat team unless it had a dome. 

The Ballpark in Arlington (or whatever it is called these days) does not have a roof. Minute Maid Park in Houston has one and was the only baseball stadium with permission to open the roof during a game. I don't know if that is still true. Heat + humidity is a bad combination. They measure it like wind chill, but the weathermen in Houston call it the misery index.