Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

On 6/10/2018 at 12:18 PM, kariyaki said:

Question about the Yankees Mets Subway Series. Is there any sort of trophy for the winner of this local rivalry, or is it pretty much just bragging rights? 

Yes, they get to wear Yankee uniforms. 

• Love 4

When I saw the starting pitchers for today’s game it was driving me nuts that I could not figure out why James Paxton would mean anything to me.

During the second inning David Cone says something about a no-hitter and I said aloud “Oh!  It’s the bird guy!”

Sadly the only other person in the house was my feline companion Mookie Wilson and he absolutely could not have cared less.

• Love 6

The hits just keep on coming for the Mets...

Mets GM Sandy Alderson taking immediate leave of absence as his cancer returns

Sandy Alderson is taking an immediate leave of absence from his role as Mets general manager the team announced Tuesday ahead of their home game against the Pirates.  The Mets cited health concerns as the reason for the decision. Alderson then revealed his cancer had returned in April and he is undergoing chemo.

“You got to deal with it,” Alderson said, fighting back tears. “It’s a matter of rearranging priorities.”  Alderson, 70, was diagnosed with a treatable form of cancer in December of 2015, roughly a month after the Mets lost to the Royals in the World Series. He missed the Winter Meetings in early 2016 as he underwent chemotherapy and later had surgery related to the illness in May of 2016.   He will no longer have decision-making authority like he did during his previous leave of absence in 2016.   “I’m not sure coming back is warranted,” said a candid and somber Alderson.

Assistant GM John Ricco will serve as interim GM.

(edited)
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

This is amazing.

“Hey, didn’t that happen to the Mets once?” Yes, it did, and I think I was at that game.

Mets fans’ greatest fear: that the team will fall apart and crater like 1993 (aka “The Worst Team Money Can Buy”), and that they would have to work upward towards mere irrelevancy.

Yankees fans’ greatest fear: coming home to find your wife and daughter getting banged by Aaron Judge. The fear is that Judge would run out without giving you a high-five and/or autograph.

Obviously, the daughter would be over 21. She comes back home for a bit, she talks with her mother, Judge shows up, the women get the vapors . . . yadda, yadda, yadda, “All Rise!”

ETA: Walkoff Wilmer strikes again. If he gets dealt, he won’t be wiping away tears. His fans, on the other hand . . .

ETA2: Braves outdo Mets in fucked-up shit in a stadium. Gotta take your victories where you can get 'em.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
(edited)

"In other news, the Mets bullpen blew a 3-1 lead in the ninth inning, losing to the Pirates, 5-3. Right now, New York has the same number of wins as the hapless Miami Marlins. To celebrate, Mets fans stormed the field, tackled Jeruys Familia, and broke his throwing arm. And then they broke the other arm, 'just to be safe'."

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

"This just in . . . Sparky has tested positive for PEDs. Also, cat guts."

And hey, they're gonna face the Marlins this weekend . . . meaning that they can land in last place and fulfill their destiny as laughingstocks. I got a flier in the mail for promo events, including a Syndergaard bobblehead. The sad thing is he might be injured or dealt by the time that game rolls around.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

"This just in . . . Sparky has tested positive for PEDs. Also, cat guts."

And hey, they're gonna face the Marlins this weekend . . . meaning that they can land in last place and fulfill their destiny as laughingstocks. I got a flier in the mail for promo events, including a Syndergaard bobblehead. The sad thing is he might be injured or dealt by the time that game rolls around.

Is that the game on August 4th?  I'm planning on going.  And waiting to get tickets on Stubhub when they hit around $5. 

(edited)

Mets just defeated Miami. Had the Marlins won, they would've crawled out of last place. Good thing for Miami . . . their fans were gonna riot. We're talking fives of dollars worth of damage to the Miami area. Maybe even tens. Lucky break for Miami!!

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4

It’s amusing that the FOX guy on Saturday,  when Chris Sale was doing Chris Sale things, was like “well except for last night, what’s wrong with the Yankees?”

Um.  Nothing a little David Price pitching at Yankee Stadium couldn’t fix.

• Love 3

Me: Well, I still hate myself, so I’m gonna read the “letters to the editor” page.

Daily News: Hey, I have good news. No letters from readers defending the indefensible.

Me: That’s nice.

DN: But we got hate speech on the Mets from probable Yankees fans.

Me: See, when I make fun, I make fun. They do it, they’re mean assholes. ?

• Love 2

I have to give props to Tampa's Carlos Gomez,  who is using the theme from SpongeBob Squarepants as his walk up music. Apparently, he asked his kids for advice on what to use,  and this is what came of it.

• Love 3

Nothing like turning to SNY and finding out the Mets lost. And then rewinding to see some schmuck pitcher give up the decisive homer, and watching him bow his head, knowing full well he fucked up. And then checking to see who that guy was, and discovering the Mets blew a five-run lead in the seventh. Cut to dickhead Yankees fans writing letters to the local newspapers to rub that shit in Mets fans' faces. Well, they probably have to find somebody that can write, so they can take down the bragging.

Potential headline: "BULLPEN SHITS BED YET AGAIN." Underneath: "Callaway found outside library with books on how to fake death." Like I said . . . when I make fun of the team, I can be funny and barbed, but not outright men.

• Love 3
(edited)

I hear the Nationals are in a slump. I checked the standings. They’re at .500. If a Mets fan sees a Nats booster bitching, I think violence would be an appropriate response. Seriously, Citi Field is being prepped for a Marlins-style yard sale, and the Nationals are in trouble?!?

ETA: Familia gets out of a bases-loaded jam in the top of the ninth, Bautista hits his very first walk-off home (a grand slam!) to win the game. Great night for the Mets and their fans! Well, except for deGrom, who got a no-decision after giving up the one run. I'm sure he'll make up for lost opportunities with his eventual new team. #DarkestTimeline

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
On 7/6/2018 at 10:20 PM, kariyaki said:

I hate The Wave. I swear it ruined the no hitter McCullers had going. 

So do I. I have always firmly stayed in my seat whenever the stadium attempted to do the Wave.

• Love 2

The All-Star starting infield for the AL is comprised of three Jose’s and both starting catchers are named Wil(l)son.

That tickles me because I am a child and easily amused.

• Love 6
(edited)

Headline from later this week: "deGROM GETS N.L. START" Under that: "Last kindness before inevitable anvil falls on him"

ETA: Walkoff Wilmer strikes once again. Fourth walkoff homer, tenth RBI in his career, which is the all-time lead for the Mets. Even crazier . . . he was supposed to have been hit by a pitch, but the umpires didn't see it that way. One pitch later, game over. Bad news for the Mets: that's the first game of a doubleheader. More ways to disappoint the fans in attendance that hate themselves.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

I am not a Dodgers fan by any stretch of the imagination, in fact, I really don't like them at all, but Keekay couldn't be further from a "toxic masculinity" guy. He's funny and self-deprecating and encourages dudes to show their love to each other. If he wasn't a Dodger, I'd actually like him! ;-P

I am full on loving that the last two Giants wins have come thanks to Pablo Sandoval. Thank you, Red Sox, for paying him to play for the Giants, where he's now back to being an everyday 3B and a contributor nightly. Nothing better than Panda doing what he does best. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the Willie Mac Award this year. 

• Love 1

I really like Kike, but I have a soft spot for utility players overall. I just like guys that are willing to do anything and deliver for the team, without much glory.

Is it me or does the AL all star team seem ridiculously stacked? Mind you, I only know about 1/3 of the NL players but I think they're going to have a hard time.

I want to watch but I also feel like an exhibition game is a waste of time. 

3 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

I am not a Dodgers fan by any stretch of the imagination, in fact, I really don't like them at all, but Keekay couldn't be further from a "toxic masculinity" guy. He's funny and self-deprecating and encourages dudes to show their love to each other. If he wasn't a Dodger, I'd actually like him! ;-P

I am full on loving that the last two Giants wins have come thanks to Pablo Sandoval. Thank you, Red Sox, for paying him to play for the Giants, where he's now back to being an everyday 3B and a contributor nightly. Nothing better than Panda doing what he does best. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the Willie Mac Award this year. 

I personally don't like any dodger, but the "fragile masculinity" (not toxic) isn't toward Kike personally, it's just that that image was commonly used as a meme to represent that. Gosh forbid a guy be shorter than a woman in sports television (or in general). 

(edited)

Watching highlights of Yanks/Balto game 2.... Gardner. Man, he is impressive. Oldest guy on the team who has maybe lost a step but not enough to dull his impact. He has some sort of option for next season and maybe Yanks don't renew him but he would be worth keeping even if they keep and play Frazier. The guy is a leader and he has lived up to Cashman's absolute adoration of him. I think in his first 5 seasons he was always rumored to be traded but Cashman refused. Now in his 10th season it is easy to see that his trust has been rewarded. I love him.

On another Yankees note, Cessa impressed. He needs to get his act together becuse he has all the pitches.

Welcome back, Masahiro. 

mojoween, Cessa has an Andy Pettitte sort of aw shucks charm. Would you agree?  http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=2254041783&topic_id=5869378&c_id=yesnetwork

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1