Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

On 6/10/2018 at 12:18 PM, kariyaki said:

Question about the Yankees Mets Subway Series. Is there any sort of trophy for the winner of this local rivalry, or is it pretty much just bragging rights?

As mentioned above, the Mets and Yankees used to play in the Mayor's Trophy game, a single pre-season exhibition game.  It was actually a continuation of a series played between the Yankees, Dodgers, and Giants in the 1950s, before the latter two moved to California.  Here is a photo from 1982, with NY mayor Ed Koch presenting the Mayor's Trophy to then Mets' manager George Bamberger, and owners Nelson Doubleday and Fred Wilpon.

NY-AY661_NYTROP_G_20110520193142.jpg

It seems to be a divisive topic because I’ve seen it described as silly, because none of the other sports do it, but I like it.  Probably because of my fondness for Joe Girardi and the number he chose.

• Love 1

Reminds me of George Carlin’s “Baseball and Football” routine.  “Baseball is the only sport where the managers and coaches wear the same uniform the players do. Can you picture Bill Parcells in his New York Giants uniform?”

• Love 5

The managers wearing a uniform came about during the player/manager era. Before that, the managers didn't wear uniforms just like all the other sports. It's just become a tradition for them to wear the uniform, although many do not.

Oh yeah, that's right, I knew that. It was a trivia question during the Astros broadcast a few weeks ago. But today, he was just pinch running for the other catcher who started cramping up on the run to first. The heat in Kansas City was apparently getting to them, the first baseman came out too.

I get home from a wedding, hubby is watching Netflix.  When he finishes watching his show, he asks what I am interested in watching on TV.

I have piles and piles of shows to watch on the DVR.  Also, when he turned off Netflix, the TV was coincidentally on YES.

So what am I doing?  Watching two Yankeeography repeats and then the re-air of this afternoon’s game is on.  

It’s a sickness.

• Love 3

I honestly have never really heard an extended interview with Swish before and I have never heard a more earnest person in my entire life.  He really is the living embodiment of puppies and rainbows.

And the amazing feat of it is that he’s not annoying about it!  That is a skill.

Jason Giambi, on the other hand...pffft.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Anybody else excited about the Mariners this season?

I don't know about them yet. More than half the Mariners games so far have been won by one run (to compare, the Rangers won the division this way in 2016 and were promptly knocked out in the ALDS by the Blue Jays). I'll give them more than a side-glance once they get through to the All Star Break. They haven't played the Yankees at all.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:35 PM, mojoween said:

Aaron Boone doesn’t wear a uniform.

He should wear a uniform.

It is hilarious as he is wearing one today for Old Timer's Day and they asked if he will keep it on for the actual game afterwards.

• Love 1
(edited)

No I can’t with how cute Andy Pettitte is - “holy smokes whose bat is this?  This bat is heavy!”

And I mean...

Df53GkpW0AARaZ6?format=jpg

(This is Paul with Andy and Andy’s granddaughter.  For some reason I can no longer copy tweets whole.)

Any other Yankee fans give the side eye to Johnny Damon’s presence here?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, smittykins said:

Okay, the combination of Andy Pettitte” and “granddaughter” is totally not computing...

When he said that, I felt older than I have in a while. I still remember going to most of his games when he pitched in his rookie year. How time flies by.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

(This is Paul with Andy and Andy’s granddaughter.  For some reason I can no longer copy tweets whole.)

My first thought was that his daughter was absolutely adorable.  

Then you crushed me with the caption... 

• Love 3

Ha!  I know!

But Andy did just turn his jersey number on Friday (46) and Josh is at least 22, I believe, so it’s all feasible, and yet still makes me feel like an old bat, even though I am two years younger than Andy.

And I am also in no way shape or form ready for a grandbaby, do you hear that son?!?

• Love 4

I didn't have kids either but my brother had five, so my mother didn't hassle me.

Speaking of whom... The Astros are giving away a World Series replica ring at Wednesday's game to all, yes ALL, fans. My brother actually texted me today wanting me to buy him a ticket to the game. Me: "Are you kidding? That game sold out within five minutes of that promotion getting announced."

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

So, who replaced my team with guys who can hit?? 

And, can we keep them?

Well, they’ve got Chris Davis riding the pines instead of hogging a lineup spot with all his sombreros. But isnt Machado soon to be rented away?

28 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

If they have a lick of sense.

Which means no... 

I don’t think anybody needs a shortstop, though. Machado might find himself back at third base if/when a trade goes down.

Paul O'Neill's kids came to the park for OTD. Here's his son in his dad's profile.

22 hours ago, mojoween said:

He really is the living embodiment of puppies and rainbows.

Tru dat.

Andy said his grandbaby is gonna call him 'pops', not 'grandpa.' 

17 hours ago, mojoween said:

And I am also in no way shape or form ready for a grandbaby, do you hear that son?!?

Hate to break it to you, mojo, my dear, but that's not something you get a say in... :)

• Love 3
23 hours ago, mojoween said:

I honestly have never really heard an extended interview with Swish before and I have never heard a more earnest person in my entire life.  He really is the living embodiment of puppies and rainbows.

And the amazing feat of it is that he’s not annoying about it!  That is a skill.

Jason Giambi, on the other hand...pffft.

He is just one of the most down to earth people ever, and so positive! It's what made it so hard when he kind of got run out of town at the end of the Yankee tenure. Luckily all those bridges were mended and he even got back into the good graces of the Bleacher folks, who did Role Call for him when he returned with Cleveland. A few weeks ago, he was standing outside entrance of MLB FoodFest, likely waiting for whoever he was going to go in with to do a video review or something similar. No one was noticing him but my natural reaction was "oh hey, it's Nick!" I'm usually super shy about bothering people but he was my favorite Yankee and in a lot of ways responsible for me getting back into baseball in 2009, so I decided to go say hi, and he acted like he was greeting an old friend and graciously took the reigns for our selfie ("my arms are longer, it's cool!"). Such a good dude and I'm so glad he found a place to stay in baseball now that his playing career is over.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/17/2018 at 9:41 PM, kariyaki said:

don’t think anybody needs a shortstop, though. Machado might find himself back at third base if/when a trade goes down.

I think the Dodgers could use one, with Seager out for the year, but I'm not sure they want to part with much in a trade and I assume Machado is worth a lot. I really like Machado, I hope if he doesn't stay he goes somewhere with a good organization. Which means a team I can root for lol. I think the Brewers might also need a shortstop, but I'm less familiar with them, so not as sure. I just watched a few games, and the guy they had (Arcia, at the time) was not very good. They might be willing to go for another big trade. 

Edited by cleo
(edited)

Michael Kay mentioned that today is the day Lou Gehrig was born in 1903 and David Cone said that when he was on the field for Old Timer’s Day he was talking with Dr. Bobby Brown, who was able to tell David stories about playing with Lou Gehrig. [edit: David clarified that Bobby watched Lou play in person, but their paths didn’t intersect, which makes sense, but didn’t occur to me before]

First, that blows my mind.  And second, I love shit like that.  I would sit here for a day if I could sit next to Dr. Brown so he could talk about his experiences during the 1947 championship season.  Also, Dr. Brown still wears his championship ring.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
On 6/17/2018 at 12:43 PM, mojoween said:

No I can’t with how cute Andy Pettitte is - “holy smokes whose bat is this?  This bat is heavy!”

And I mean...

Df53GkpW0AARaZ6?format=jpg

Any other Yankee fans give the side eye to Johnny Damon’s presence here?

Years ago during the early years of the NYY 90s run I was at my parents watching the game. AP was pitching and my mom happened to look at the TV and out of the blue said, "WHO is that? She was dazzled by the Roman nose and beautiful mouth of this guy. I too was smitten and still am.  I love him so much more than Jeter and just as much as Bernie and Jorge. This photo is indeed adorable and the baby is just beautiful. Loved seeing him at Old Timer's.  Dreamy.  

• Love 3

The great thing about Swisher is that he always talks about just how lucky and blessed he is to have been able to play baseball professionally. He truly loves the game. Michael Kay once said he was talking to Nick ( they got along well and MK really likes him) when he got to the Yanks and at one point he said to Nick that he should take it down a notch with the whole "Bro" schtick. Nick got serious and said No, dude. This is me. This is how I am. 

I love Swisher and he made the OTD game more fun than usual. Go, bro!

• Love 3

Before I was caught up in the Empire I rooted for the Mets and one of the first players I ever saw on TV was Bobby Ojeda.

My 13 year old self was beyond smitten.  It’s part of the reason I rooted for the Mets in 86!  And Bobby is still a very handsome man to this day.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Before I was caught up in the Empire I rooted for the Mets and one of the first players I ever saw on TV was Bobby Ojeda.

My 13 year old self was beyond smitten.  It’s part of the reason I rooted for the Mets in 86!  And Bobby is still a very handsome man to this day.

I've become smitten with Brandon Nimmo, currently of the Mets. His gleeful grin when he tore out an in-the-park homerun was beyond adorable.
brandon+nimo+smiling.jpg

Orbit was sad that Chris Archer wasn't able to travel with Tampa Bay for the Astros homestand (they have a prank war).

I was supposed to go to tonight's TB @ HOU rubber match, but it's World Series ring giveaway night, I already have one and the game is sold out. So I figured I'd StubHub the ticket and see if somebody had more money than sense. Somebody did, so I watch the game from home tonight.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I can't really see that. Looking back, I would have thought Darling would be considered the dreamy one. Bobby picked up the slack when Dwight Gooden flagged (*koff*koff*). Also, Frank Cashen looked like a genius because Calvin Schraldi went to Boston in the trade for Bobby. Cut to Game 6, where Schraldi imploded after getting the first two outs in the tenth inning. He might have been a sleeper agent for all we know. Of course, since the Mets are a star-crossed bunch, Bobby had the freak hedge clipper accident that took him out of the NLCS in 1988, where he might have made a difference against the Dodgers.* Also,he survived the boat crashed that killed two of his teammate with the Indians in '93 (I think).

*Yes, I know  Dodgers were on a mission from God. Mets were lucky to take it to seven games.

23 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I've become smitten with Brandon Nimmo, currently of the Mets. His gleeful grin when he tore out an in-the-park homerun was beyond adorable.
brandon+nimo+smiling.jpg

And now I'm hoping get hurt. Wasn't he the guy that had a collapsed lung last season?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Old habits die hard.  When a pitcher is still in there well past what appears to be the time he should be pulled I still yell at the TV “get someone up in the pen, Joe!”

Also Gleyber’s fielding makes my teeth hurt.

• Love 2