Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

On 4/26/2018 at 5:34 PM, xaxat said:

So the ESPN promo for the Sunday game consists of the announcer yelling "Stanton" and "Judge" with shots of them hitting bombs.

They are playing the Angels. I guess Mike Trout (who has more MVPs than all of the Yankees combined) and Ohtani, who is the most intriguing rookie in ages weren't worth mentioning.

I understand the East Coast bias, but that is wrong.

I spoke too soon. ESPN is also running an Angel specific ad featuring Ohtani.

It’s unfortunate that Ohtani might not play.

I think AJ Pierczynski was not well liked as a player?, but I always liked him and for some reason was really rooting for the White Sox during their WS run.  

As an analyst, I think he’s awesome.  He has a sense of humor and I like his insights as a player.  He has a good rapport with Kenny and Ken too.

11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I think AJ Pierczynski was not well liked as a player?, but I always liked him and for some reason was really rooting for the White Sox during their WS run.  

As an analyst, I think he’s awesome.  He has a sense of humor and I like his insights as a player.  He has a good rapport with Kenny and Ken too.

Ah, AJ.  We were at Target Field in Minneapolis and when AJ came up to bat, a guy about 10 rows behind us yelled "AJ - nobody likes you!!!!!!"  Because that's as mean as people in Minneapolis get.  

So now, whenever anyone mentions AJ, my friend and I have to yell that at each other.  And people think we're nutz.  Because we probably are. 

I do like him on the TV.  He's funny and seems to know what he's talking about.

And with that, we're off to the ballpark.  Yesterday it was 80.  Today it will be 60 and windy.  And my team, well the less said, the better.  At least there's dinner to look forward to. 

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Oh AJ.... it's true... nobody likes him. With good reason. One of the most hated players/ex-Giant. He's selfish, egotistical, mediocre and a joke. He blames everyone else but himself. And it is so fun to boo him whenever he would set foot in AT&T Park. Also, there's this story too:

Why was AJ Pierzynski released by the Giants after only one season after they 
traded Joe Nathan and two other pitchers to get him last year? 

From the San Francisco Chronicle: 

No class whatsoever 

One of those now-it-can-be-told stories the White Sox, A.J. Pierzynski's new 
employer, surely haven't heard: During a Giants exhibition game last spring, 
Pierzynski took a shot to his, shall we say, private parts. Trainer Stan Conte 
rushed to the scene, placed his hands on Pierzynski's shoulders in a reassuring 
way, and asked how it felt. "Like this," said Pierzynski, viciously delivering 
a knee to Conte's groin. It was a real test of professionalism for the enraged 
Conte, who vowed to ignore Pierzynski for the rest of the season until Conte 
realized how that would look. The incident went unreported because all of the 
beat writers happened to be doing in-game interviews in the clubhouse, but it 
was corroborated by a half-dozen eyewitnesses who could hardly believe their 
eyes. Said one source, as reliable as they come: "There is absolutely no doubt 
that it happened." 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I absolutely HATE the whooshing noise these nationally televised games do for every single pitch. I do not need fake whooshing, please stop it.

Every time someone hits a ball on the ESPN broadcast tonight it sounds like a gunshot.  Same with the ball hitting the catcher’s glove.

The fact I didn’t notice this last night on FS1 tells me that ESPN is manufacturing this.  They need to stop.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The fact I didn’t notice this last night on FS1 tells me that ESPN is manufacturing this.  They need to stop.

FS1 was doing it too but I don't think it was as loud as ESPN's. The whooshing drowns out the commentary, which isn't totally unappreciated but still... 

I like the Dodgers, so I find the news disappointing. Hopefully he recovers well.

Regardless, I didn't think they would do as well this season. During the off season they kept justifying the roster saying how far it got them last year. But it was also the same roster that had looooong losing streaks last year. I didn't think they really looked at that and the potential of the team to flip negatively.

Welp, be interesting to see how the NL shakes out. 

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Somehow I feel like if Didi hits a HR tonight he’s not coming out for a curtain call and we also won’t be hearing loud chants of “Let’s go Yankees.”

Yeah, there wasn't near the turnout of Yankees fans in Houston as there was in L.A.

14 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Corey Seager is out for the season due to Tommy John Surgery.

I seriously want to cry about this, only because as a Mariners fan Kyle Seager has been my favorite baseball stud muffin for five years now and I laughed my head off last year when Kyle wore a jersey on a promo night saying "Corey's Brother."  And believe it or not this year Kyle has belied his "slow start" reputation and come out of the gate not slow. 

I concede the superiority of the Astros' pitchers and am prayin for a split. If I can't have that and they are swept I just want a competitive series and then wait for Cashman to work some kind of magic and get a stud pitcher if that's even possible. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, prican58 said:

I concede the superiority of the Astros' pitchers and am prayin for a split. If I can't have that and they are swept I just want a competitive series and then wait for Cashman to work some kind of magic and get a stud pitcher if that's even possible. 

Last night was better, no?  They had one absolutely dominant pitcher and then one...who punches himself in the face.

I LOVED it but I wonder if Verlander couldn’t have gone longer.

• Love 1

Ichiro riding out this way is great. It's been done before but this time it's special. He is just an amazing ball player. Retired number in his future?  

Well, the NYY did me one better with their 3rd of four in Houston. Now comes Cleveland and the Red Sox at home. Wheee!

• Love 4

Aaron Judge is in a Pepsi commercial *swoon*

I mean, I know Yankee Stadium is a Pepsi park but seeing him in an ad...yeah, I think it’s awesome.

Because Coke is sewage and Pepsi is the nectar of the gods (even if I don’t drink regular Pepsi any more because of the sugar).

• Love 2

I’ve been busy. I did see the Mets are starting to freefall. Also, the News had savage front and back pages when Matt Harvey was cut loose. Yeah, he may have leaked, he can be temperamental, and the Mets missed getting the best trade value . . . but I fear he’ll be snapped up, collect Cy Young trophies and World Series rings, and everybody will snark in the like they did with trading Nolan Ryan to the Angels.

• Love 1

Lantern7, I doubt very much that your MH scenario happens. I am sure he can become a serviceable pitcher and maybe a good pitcher but Dark Knight images in non Mets uniforms will not come to pass. It's still early and being 2 games over .500 in May isn't the worst thing in the world. The cliche is true. It's a grind. The Red Sox sputtered after a hot start and the NYY came to life after a so-so 9-9 start. If the talent is there then things should turn out better.

• Love 1

Can money be raised to have John’s mouth sewn shut?

Headline in my mind: “Struggling Mets Limp To Cincinnati.” Underneath: “Calloway to call Indians, ask if there’s a spot for him.”

I actually don’t mind John Sterling, but “a Stantonian blast!” and “a Judgian home run” are lazy.

I agree, Carston Charles Sabathia.  I hope you get that second ring and we can see your adorable little boy, nine years older, at the FOX Sports desk.

• Love 1
(edited)

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/blue-jays-closer-roberto-osuna-charged-with-assault-1.3920568

Man it has just been a terrible few weeks in Toronto, all in all. Plus just a crappy week for me. I want to wait for more info on Osuna, but he was my first favourite player and I seriously just bought my first jersey ever, and picked his name on the back, like 2 days ago. I was going to wear it to the game Friday. Petty, I know. I hoep whatever the situation is all involved are ok. 

Thursday's game they were going to give out free Osuna shirts. 

Osuna was the youngest closer to 100 saves a few weeks ago.

He seriously does not seem like the type, but I know you can never tell what really goes on with people. have to wait and see I guess. 

I feel like Toronto is jinxed, I'm going to go hibernate. 

ETA to correct the date of the shirt giveawayo

ETA 2 in case it isn't clear, I can't support him if he's hurt someone, I just feel heartbroken and trying not to rush to judgment.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1