Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

(edited)
18 hours ago, kariyaki said:

This is apparently making the rounds through MLB this time of year. The throne is going to each game and you can get your picture while sitting on it. This is the Astros one, coming the 28th:

I was most impressed with the video. It was really well done with some of the SF landmarks.

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie

Sigh.  The Yankees always seem to lose on special days so I'll enjoy the Old-Timers festivities and then go trim the hedges or something.

On another note - Aaron Judge!  *hearteyes*

• Love 1

How fabulous to hear Bob Sheppard introduce Old-Timer's Day.

Jack Curry said it should be The Fab Five instead of The Core Four because Bernie Williams should not be excluded and now I am going to run off and marry Jack Curry.  I could kiss him for that.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Tim Raines played for the Yankees, but he's and Expo not a Yankee.

Don't go around stealing other teams' great players!

I've mentioned before that in the 90's I was playing Magic and Dungeons & Dragons so my Yankee knowledge at that time is relatively deficient.  I had no idea that Tim Raines not only played in New York but won rings there and also he is super good-looking.

I mean, you say Tim Raines and I say Expo.

(edited)
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

He's going in the Hall of Fame as an Expo, right?

I would assume so. Didn't the HOF take that decision away from the players after Wade Boggs got a bonus from the Devil Rays to go in wearing their hat?

ETA The Mets are promoting Tebow to Class A.

Sandy Alderson looks like the victim in a hostage video. You can almost see Mets owner Fred Wilpon threatening him from off camera.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

I attended the Mets vs. Giants game at the ballpark today and some cocky Mets fan was trying to start the wave several times. Uh dude, we're not at the dodgers' stadium. That crap don't fly. A HR ball landed pretty close to me today. Unfortunately it was for the wrong team.

Also there were two douchebags at the game, wearing Cubs gear. One had a Baez jersey, the other had a Rizzo jersey. Trying (and failing miserably) to troll everyone. Yuck. 

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, xaxat said:

Don't go around stealing other teams' great players!

Yes, Rock was an Expo. I was actually a pretty big Expo fan, though I am not sure why. I've always liked the city and I kind of recall liking them because they traded for Ken Singleton and Tim Foli from the Mets. I HATED the Mets back then but always kind of liked those 2 guys but couldn't root for them. (a 12 year old's logic can be weird). I especially like the Expos when they were practically MLB's universal minor league system since they could never afford to pay for the Pedro's, Randy Johnson's and Tim Raines' of the world. I thought that love would translate to the Nats but it hasn't.

So if Raines is an Expo doesn't that mean that Gary Carter is? BTW we didn't "steal" Tim. We honor him because he was a significant cog in the wheel of some champ teams. We are not putting him in Monument Park.

10 hours ago, mojoween said:

How fabulous to hear Bob Sheppard introduce Old-Timer's Day.

Jack Curry said it should be The Fab Five instead of The Core Four because Bernie Williams should not be excluded and now I am going to run off and marry Jack Curry.  I could kiss him for that.

mojoween, so true. I have always thought like Jack. Bernie was first in my heart so yeah, Fab Five has always been "it". 

I checked out the FB page of @bsmile and that photo is great. I missed the intro to the Yankee widows today. I know Bobby and Thurman's were there and I assume another was probably Zim's wife. What's the rundown. Damn I miss Murcer. I still have the NY Daily News backpage reporting his passing. 

Edited by prican58
3 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I attended the Mets vs. Giants game at the ballpark today and some cocky Mets fan was trying to start the wave several times. Uh dude, we're not at the dodgers' stadium. That crap don't fly. A HR ball landed pretty close to me today. Unfortunately it was for the wrong team.

Cut him some slack. The Mets are going down in flames, they average a few injuries per week, Terry Collins probably has his razors checked daily for his safety . . . and, by the way, Tim Tebow is associated with the team. If he was drunk, I wouldn't have blamed him. If he was in right field, I would have understood throwing him into McCovey's Cove.

(edited)

I'd cut them some slack, but I care more about how shitty the Giants are doing right now, which is a lot worse than the Mets. We've had our ace taken down too and we have injured players too, and we've played the worst we've ever played in the last 25 years. Our bullpen is a dumpster fire. Our starting pitchers aren't much better. We've lost 12 of our last 13 games. So.... I'm pretty sure Mets fans have more to cheer about right now than Giants fans, Tim Tebow or not. Unless they're bummed about the Giants competing with the Phillies for last place to get first round pick. :)

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie

Before I turn in, I'm asking again if any Mets fans want to meet up to watch a game. It's a "Misery Loves Company" thing. My ideal start time is 4 p.m., but I'm open to 1 and 7. Sunday night at 8? Fuck ESPN for that, because I wouldn't get home until at least 1:30 a.m.

All this talk about Old Timers Day reminded me of my first baseball game.  It was late June 1969, right around my birthday, and my Dad took me to see the Mets at Shea.  It was a Saturday night game against the Pirates - checking an old schedule online, it looks like Saturday, June 28.  He bought tickets from a guy in the parking lot, and we sat near the back of the Loge deck, opposite 3rd base.  Of course the Mets lost, but I was hooked!

I remember it was Old Timers Day (Night?) and since the Mets were only 7 years old at that point, they had a bunch of retired Dodger and Giant players on hand, and they played against a team of American League players, including a number of old Yankees.  I've never found anything to verify it, but I'm positive Joe DiMaggio played on the AL team - my father was a Yankee fan as a kid, and I remember his reaction when DiMaggio came to bat.  Seeing the photo @mojoween posted, it looks like Joe was playing in those games around that time.

• Love 1

The Tribe was down 9-2 and came back to beat the Rangers 15-9!  It was like my son's little league games.

Mr. CRS was talking with his friend in Dallas during the first inning.  The Tribe were down 4-0 before they got their first out.  Friend said the Rangers bullpen was so bad that no lead was safe.  True that.

Go, Tribe!

• Love 1

Being from Houston, I totally get your dad's glee.  The only time I root for the Rangers is when they are playing the Yankees, and even then it is half-heartedly.

On 6/25/2017 at 2:36 PM, xaxat said:

Agreed. His presentation during Old Timers Day reflected that, I think. They gave him a couple of old YS seats and a round of applause for his career, which was kind and not Yankee4Life over the top. (During the OT game, he failed to run all the way to first base, and when the field interviewer came over, the first thing he did was 'apologize to the kids' for not doing so. "You must always run all the way to first, even when it looks like an easy out!" Aww, coach! :) )

On 6/24/2017 at 0:25 PM, smittykins said:

I get a kick out of Torreyes having to be hoisted up to high-five Judge.

During Sunday's regular game, Torreyes hit his own homer. Didi hoisted Judge up to force Torreyes to make the high-five leap. They all look like they're having some fun. Judge spent some pre-game time signing for fans next to the dugout. The people standing in the first row of the stands were still shorter than Judge standing on the field. He's a very large young man.

They advertised an upcoming Whitey Ford bobblehead day (the 9th, I think). I pass this along in case anybody here likes collecting bobbleheads or anything.... ;)

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Being from Houston, I totally get your dad's glee.  The only time I root for the Rangers is when they are playing the Yankees, and even then it is half-heartedly.

I go for the Yankees in this case because I like to be practical and root for a division-mate to lose. Helps pad the Astros' lead.

Former NY Met pitcher Anthony Young has died at age 51.  Young is best know for his record streak of 27 consecutive losses over the 1992 and 1993 seasons.  I remember when he was going through streak - he really pitched better than that, and was often times let down by his team, but through it all, he maintained a positive attitude.  RIP...

Former Mets pitcher Anthony Young has died, according to ex-MLB player Lenny Harris. He was 51. The Mets later confirmed his passing.

Young was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor in January. He said in February that doctors treated the growth as cancerous because it was located on the brain stem, meaning it was impossible to do a biopsy to test its malignancy. He underwent chemotherapy and reported at the time that the tumor had shrunk. Harris said earlier Tuesday that Young had fallen into a coma.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/06/27/anthony-young-mets-pitcher-dead-brain-tumor

That's awful.  He was way younger than me.  I remember his losing streak and actually felt bad for him while it was happening...even though I hate the Mets. 

RIP

• Love 1
9 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I go for the Yankees in this case because I like to be practical and root for a division-mate to lose. Helps pad the Astros' lead.

I grew up with the Astros in the NL and moved away before they switched.  I still don't think of them as division-mates with the Rangers.

Great piece by Joe Posnanski on Steve Palermo.  The former MLB umpire, hero, and longtime Kansas City resident died in May, and his memorial service was this week.

Poz knows how to place an anecdote, for sure -- if for no other reason, check it out for the one about a pitching great's first outing as a rookie, and what Steve said to calm him down, pre-game.

IMG_0907.JPG

• Love 1

I've read a bunch of umpires' memoirs in my day, and one of the charming things about them is they all tell the 'where's that pitch at' story as if it happened to them. And not all of them cite Piniella as the batter. :)

(edited)
7 hours ago, attica said:

I've read a bunch of umpires' memoirs in my day, and one of the charming things about them is they all tell the 'where's that pitch at' story as if it happened to them. And not all of them cite Piniella as the batter. :)

That joke has a very long, very...eclectic life.  The first time I heard it, I was a kid, and it was KState v. KU.

A remote possibility for the Lou insertion is that he was a Royal before he became an Other.

Edited by rallymantis
35 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

The Giants swept a series for the first time in like 5 weeks! This was much needed for my baseball soul. 

Did the Rockies and the Giants switch jerseys this series? What a disaster for the Rockies! LOL Although they are still in the WC race so I won't freak out yet. LOL

• Love 1
2 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Did the Rockies and the Giants switch jerseys this series? What a disaster for the Rockies! LOL Although they are still in the WC race so I won't freak out yet. LOL

I will root for the Rockies when they play the Dodgers.  Go get 'em.

• Love 1

I hope the Yankees put together a winning streak quickly because I fear that is what is keeping Aaron Judge from committing to the HR Derby and I NEEEEED him to participate.

I can imagine he is a bundle of nerves about the whole thing because he knows what kind of dingers he hits during BP, but there's no pressure there.  At the Derby all eyes would be on him and he would be afraid of not being as awesome as everyone expects him to be.

But still.  PLEASE Aaron.  Do it!

• Love 1