Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

The Giants have won 11 of their 12 last games but have not scored more than five runs in any of those games. They won the last two games 1-0! 

I was at last night's game! Hilarious how Pence got a walk-off pop-up. Thanks Matt Kemp!! The seagulls were getting antsy.

• Love 1

Jackie Bradley Jr. is halfway to Joe.  Isn't this when the media starts to pay attention?

Hmm.  A-Rod gets hurt, Carlos moves from the outfield, where he is a liability, to DH and now here we are.  The Yanks might end up with the most expensive pinch hitter in history.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Jackie Bradley Jr. is halfway to Joe.  Isn't this when the media starts to pay attention?

29 now, baby! And yeah, it's gonna start to get even more media. The Sox media I follow has been on this since around game 14.

Grrrrrrrr . . . I finally figure that I can afford to see the Mets on Saturday, and I can't find affordable seats on their sit beyond SRO. I'm trying StubHub,  but it's not getting along with my iPad.

I'm going to Citi Field tomorrow. I would've gone on Sunday for the 1986 replica ring, but that's an 8 p.m. game. No thank you. I thought Bartolo Colon was pitching, but it's gonna be Thor, which is awesome for different reasons. I think we'll be getting showers on Monday, so Matt Harvey would get a reprieve.

ETA from the Ain't This Some Shit Department: The game is airing on the local Fox station, as opposed to WPIX and SNY.  That means there's not going to be live coverage of the pregame ceremonies.

2 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

That is adorable and I think I want one.

Isn't Hallmark's headquarters in Kansas City?

Yes,  Hallmark's headquarters is in Kansas City.

Top of the eight. Fucking Utley has homered twice, including a grand slam. He now ranks among the many as the most hated, joining Pete Rose, Mike Scott, Chipper Jones and John Rocker. And while I was typing that, Robles gave up another homer. Oy.

Apparently, Terry got tossed along with Noah. The fans got so ugly. Then they left in droves heading to the end. I feel cheated that I didn't get to see Thor bring down the thunder upon the Dodgers. Last night, Curtis Granderson hit a walk-off homer to bail out Familia. Just watch . . . tomorrow, Bartolo will pitch a perfect game. And I didn't go because I wanted to get home at a decent hour.

ETA: Seeing the highlights on ESPN. Unless the umps warned both sides before the game, they fucking blew it. Did Shawn Estes get ejected for missing Roger Clemens' fat ass? I'm mad. I mean, no guarantee that Thor would've shut down the Dodgers, but I honestly feel cheated. Fucking Utley.

ETA2: Or maybe Bartolo will match Thor and homer twice. Uggggggggh.

• Love 1

That was a terrible call, tossing Noah with no warning. It was the third inning, taking away a team's starting pitcher at that point can really affect a game's outcome. And no offense to the guy, but nobody in that capacity crowd was there to watch Logan Verrett pitch. We wanted to see Thor, particularly against Maeda, against whom he homered twice the last time the two faced each other. Noah was in the on-deck circle when the final out of the second was recorded and I was all set for a rematch to kick off the home half of the third. But - Verrett! D'oh! 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/28/2016 at 9:47 PM, Lantern7 said:

Top of the eight. Fucking Utley has homered twice, including a grand slam. He now ranks among the many as the most hated, joining Pete Rose, Mike Scott, Chipper Larry Jones. . . 

Fixed that for you.

Somebody please tell Brett Lawrie that his vampire look is so. . . high school.

ETA. Normally I tune out for God Bless America, but there were two great moments today. During the Mets game, there was a shot of a mother showing her four-ish year old daughter how to put her hand over her heart. But the left hand/right hand thing proved too confusing for her, so she just hugged herself. Even my cranky old man self thought it was adorable.

In the A's game, the song was sung by an airman. After she finished, she returned to attention, but you could see her struggling to hold back a smile because she knew she had absolutely nailed it.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, xaxat said:

In the A's game, the song was sung by an airman. After she finished, she returned to attention, but you could see her struggling to hold back a smile because she knew she had absolutely nailed it.

I despise the song "G-d Bless America" and its use during the seventh inning stretch but this I would have liked to see.

I think that I'll work on my account of Saturday's events over the weekend. I looked through the program. Bartolo Colon is listed as 5'9" and 283 lbs. Dude is in worse shape than me. Would you want somebody with his body on your company's slow-pitch softball team?

ETA: My bad. He's 5'11".

Jake Peavy pitched seven innings of one-hit ball on his 35th birthday and scored the first run of the game from first after hitting himself on. It might have been against the Braves but I care not. Jake Peavy has been having a rough start to the season and having a great game on his birthday is how things should be! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, attica said:

I can't be the only one admiring the irony of Red Socks loving a dude named Mookie. 

Ha! As Jackie Bradley Jr was out of the game for paternity leave, Farrell joked that JBJ should name the kid "Mookie." 

(edited)
12 hours ago, attica said:

I can't be the only one admiring the irony of Red Socks loving a dude named Mookie. 

It hurts my soul.  And my rescue cat Mookie Wilson is distraught about it.

Oh for criminy's sake...now I have to worry about Boegarts too?  What the frak.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Oh for criminy's sake...now I have to worry about Boegarts too?  What the frak.

Thanks for the ETA comment. I was SO tempted to reply about your soul hurting, but ... inappropriate, ya know?  Anyhow- YES!  X is up to a 25 game hitting streak! Don't ya just love baseball?

(edited)

Hopefully Pence will truly only be on the DL for a couple weeks and it won't turn into something even more serious that takes him out for a few months. Between his hamstring injury and then Duffy getting hit on his wrist (which made me almost go into panic mode... but not Panik mode), I was thinking, "damn it June gloom! the month has barely even started!" I blame it all on the Braves' field. ;) Good thing they'll never play there again! :D

Edited by MattDuffysCat
On 6/1/2016 at 7:43 AM, rippleintime17 said:

Jake Peavy pitched seven innings of one-hit ball on his 35th birthday and scored the first run of the game from first after hitting himself on. It might have been against the Braves but I care not. Jake Peavy has been having a rough start to the season and having a great game on his birthday is how things should be! 

I was so happy for Peavy! Not going to lie, I wanted to throw Peavy and Cain to the dogs a few weeks ago because I was so frustrated, but I'm glad they're doing better. They still make me way too nervous and it should be a given that they'd pitch into 7 innings, not a relief they lasted that long in a game, but next time I go to a game and see that one of them is pitching I will be able to have some actual hope of winning. 

Today's game was great! Not the having to listen to it at work at 9am, but I cracked up hysterically at my desk when Bum hit a 2-run homer. I love that kid, he could be his own one-man team sometimes. Then I left my desk for 5 minutes to go talk to a coworker and to my delight they'd hit 2 more 2-run homers in that time period. Great game!

• Love 2

Xander's up to 26! It's the one good thing after being beat up by the O's.  I know, I'm reaching.

Feeling really bad for David Wright, along with Pence. All his back problems reminds me about Tim Naehring having terrible issues which forced him to retire. He wasn't nearly on the same level as Wright, but a good 3b. I recall that Naehring needed like 20 minutes of trainer-added stretch time before the game.

And I was working late, didn't turn on mlb channels, but damn! about the Mariners / Padres.  16-13! After being down 12-2 in the 5th.  Are the Padres that bad?