Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Speaking of cool I think the Kansas City and surrounding school distrcts giving the students the day off is pretty cool.

I think it's neat too, calling it a "snow day."  Let's hope they don't have a real need for weather days as winter rolls in.

When the Braves did their worst to first turn around and went to the 1991 World Series there was a consolation parade that, if I remember correctly, had around 750,000 people show up.  It was a week day and it didn't occur to me to take the day off from work or call in *cough* sick *cough* and all these years later I still sort of regret not going.

• Love 1

Lantern have any time Thursday to stand in line?

Sorry, mojoween, but I'm not that big of a fanboy. I'd visit and see how many fans bring their own scissors for potential good luck, but I'm not that curious.

The Daily News has a poll about which Mets should be kept and which should be dumped. In today's print edition, more people wanted to dump Cespedes and Murphy. Looks like the "What Have You Done For Me Lately" crowd is voting in force.

I think it's neat too, calling it a "snow day." Let's hope they don't have a real need for weather days as winter rolls in.

When the Braves did their worst to first turn around and went to the 1991 World Series there was a consolation parade that, if I remember correctly, had around 750,000 people show up. It was a week day and it didn't occur to me to take the day off from work or call in *cough* sick *cough* and all these years later I still sort of regret not going.

The Indians did that, too, in 1995 (while the Braves had a victory parade). But not in the heartbreaking series of 1997.

Speaking of NL East managers, Terry Collins got a two-year extension from the Mets. I honestly thought he'd get fired for the failures of the team. Goes to show what I know.

He got them to the World Series for the first time in 15 years - I wouldn't call that a failure.

• Love 4

Zach Greinke is a free agent! Get him, Cashman!

I guess that means the Dodgers, if he soesn't re-sign, will win the series in the next few years or so...........

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 1

I guess that means the Dodgers, if he soesn't re-sign, will win the series in the next few years or so...........

Let us hope so!

That was a big sea of blue in Kansas City yesterday.   What a turn out for the parade!

I totally expect Greinke to re-sign with the Dodgers, just for more money, but I do hope my Giants help rise up the price on him. He'd be great to see in orange and black, if they could manage it!

I'm glad Terry Collins got an extension! The Mets exceeded expectations this year and with the right additions, they might have a chance at a strong showing again next season as well. Plus, he just seems like the nicest man.

Greinke, in his KC days, once said he did not want to play in NYC and particularly for the NYY. Said he didn't have the make up for it, or words to that effect. Maybe he has changed that mindset but really, if you don't think you have the desire to play in this town then we do not want you. No head cases, please. Seriously, if a sensitive guy like Andy Pettitte, who wears his emotions on his sleeve, can spend the better part of his career here, then ZG can stay on the left coast.

• Love 1

As much as I'd like to see Greinke in pinstripes, his history of anxiety issues wouldn't make him a good fit IMHO.

Yeah, I have no problems with Zack  being upfront about his anxiety issues. I don't take that as a slight at the Yankees at all. I actually think the NY media would have a hard time with Zack's honesty and bluntness, which could be hilarious, but he definitely should play where he is most comfortable. 

• Love 2

I'd love to visit there, plus Wrigley.

I've been to both Fenway and Wrigley - even had a seat in the bleachers both times.  Back when I was in the Air Force, we were trying to drag some fighters to Europe, and spent 4 days in Portsmouth, NH waiting on weather.  One afternoon, we drove down - one of the guys on the crew was from Boston - and caught a game.  Several years back, when I was at the newspaper, we brought about 40 folks from an ad agency to see the Mets beat up on the Cubs one hot Sunday afternoon.

• Love 2

I've been  to both Fenway and Wrigley. Its been awhile though. I remember the Fenway usher had no clue abut the seats but I will also  say at the time the seats made no sense.  Our seats were down the right field line and literally faced the outfeild not toward the plate. But for being old parks they were nice enough.

The worse park I ever visited was old Milwaukee County Stadium..   It was sad.  I think some AA teams had better parks.

Edited by tom87

I've been  to both Fenway and Wrigley. Its been awhile though. I remember the Fenway usher had no clue abut the seats but I will also  say at the time the seats made no sense.  Our seats were down the right field line and literally faced the outside not toward the plate. But for being old parks they were nice enough.

The worse park I ever visited was old Milwaukee County Stadium..   It was sad.  I think some AA teams had better parks.

Aww, I loved old County Stadium.  The bleachers were actually metal bleacher seats and were seperated from the rest of the stadium.  On cold nights (of which there were legion) the haze of people's breath would hang over the stadium.  And don't even let me get started on the brats.

Of course being a drunk college student does, probably, color my memories.

My least favorite was the metrodome, although it was fun going out the wrong doors where the air pressure would shoot you out of the building and onto the street.

Edited by bosawks

The only Major League Ball Parks I've been to are:

Camden Yards - Seats were behind home plate up up above home plate.  It was kind of chilly there that night.

RFK Stadium - behind first base dugout.  Had a NICE view of Mark McGwire prepping for BP.

Riverfront Stadium - I think I've been to three Reds games there and they won all three times.

I've only been to a couple minor league/spring training ball parks

Pfitzner Stadium - back when they were an affiliate for the White Sox and went by the Cannons

SpaceCoast Stadium - back in 2005 For one game against the Mets and one game against the O's

The only Major League Ball Parks I've been to are:

Camden Yards - Seats were behind home plate up up above home plate.  It was kind of chilly there that night.

RFK Stadium - behind first base dugout.  Had a NICE view of Mark McGwire prepping for BP.

Riverfront Stadium - I think I've been to three Reds games there and they won all three times.

I've only been to a couple minor league/spring training ball parks

Pfitzner Stadium - back when they were an affiliate for the White Sox and went by the Cannons

SpaceCoast Stadium - back in 2005 For one game against the Mets and one game against the O's

If you were at Riverfront I think you can give yourself partial credit for The Vet and Three Rivers.......

• Love 2

Since I started hanging out in ballparks as something to do on vacation waaaay back in the day (early '80's?), I've been to all the ballparks that were open at that time (except for Fulton County Stadium).  We now sorta plan our vacations on which ballpark we need to get to.  At this point, we only need 4 more (this includes going back to cities that have built new parks since we started) - Miami, San Diego, St Louis and KC.  We're counting KC because they've given it an almost total makeover since we went in 1998. 

My favorite old park is Fenway.  My favorite new park is Pittsburgh.  I liked County Stadium because it reminded me of Memorial Stadium. 

My least favorite park was Riverfront Stadium.  Maybe because it was the last year of that park, but it was a total dump and quite depressing.

Just got tickets to see Hamilton in NY in...August :-).  We'll probably stay the whole week, so hoping for a couple of games while there.  Maybe a couple of the minor league teams will be home this time.

Parks I been too. 

Old ones no longer around,  Yankee (Yankees),   Shea (Mets) , King Dome (Mariners), Busch II (Cardinals), Milwaukee County (Brewers),  Qualcomm (Padres) .

Others: Busch III (Cardinals), Kauffman (Royals), Wrigley (Cubs), Fenway (Red Sox), Dodger (Dodgers), Comerica (Tigers), Rogers Centre (Bluejays),  Minute Maid (Astros),  Progressive Field ( Indians), Coors Field (Rockies),  Great American Ball Park ( Reds).

One thing I do recommend if you are ever in KC go see the The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum

• Love 2

Parks I been too. 

Old ones no longer around,  Yankee (Yankees),   Shea (Mets) , King Dome (Mariners), Busch II (Cardinals), Milwaukee County (Brewers),  Qualcomm (Padres) .

Others: Busch III (Cardinals), Kauffman (Royals), Wrigley (Cubs), Fenway (Red Sox), Dodger (Dodgers), Comerica (Tigers), Rogers Centre (Bluejays),  Minute Maid (Astros),  Progressive Field ( Indians), Coors Field (Rockies),  Great American Ball Park ( Reds).

One thing I do recommend if you are ever in KC go see the The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum

Another reason we want to go back to KC (besides Arthur Bryant's!).  The Negro League HOF was wonderful.  There's a Jazz museum in the same building, but they were having an event there at the time, so we'd like to check it out next time.  

Also, the Truman Library is nearby.  We've been to a few Presidential Libraries on our baseball travels.  

• Love 1

I hate the Giants, but AT&T Park is wonderful. It's worth a trip.  Oakland's O.co stadium on the other hand is a total dump in an undesirable area with really awful food, but on the plus side you know people are there because they want to watch baseball.

I've been to the Metrodome and County Stadium, but was too young to know they were bad. I liked the Metrodome because getting blown out the door was fun and my mom called it the humpy dome, which was amusing to 6 year old me. I've also been to new Miller Park, Wrigley, and two that I do not know the current name of... Comerica (Tigers) and the Jake (Indians). You can tell the states I have lived in!

My husband was a Tigers bat boy during their last year at old Tigers stadium during their last season, so that's the ballpark that we have actual photos of in our house. We got some really beautiful black and white ones taken during demolition, plus a nice one of the last game taken from above where we can see him on the field.  I never went to that park, but it looked pretty awful from the outside after it closed.

Fenway Park

Shea Stadium (for baseball & one football game)

Old Yankee Stadium

Dodger Stadium

Anaheim Field - both the pre-1994 design and the Disney re-design.

O.co stadium

and went on a mini tour of Camden when I was in Baltimore for a wedding, but no game, the O's were out of town.

I haven't been to nearly enough parks.  But, I've been to Fenway probably 60-70 times* so that makes up for it.

*Understand I've never lived in Boston, just visited a whole lot.  Imagine if I didn't live 3000 miles away.

The Oakland Coliseum years ago.  I can't compare to what it's like now, but it wasn't bad then.

AT&T Park in San Francisco.  It's beautiful.

Anaheim Stadium.  It was nice, too.

Dodgers Stadium.  I survived, even though I was wearing a Giants shirt.

I've been to old Yankee Stadium, Shea, new Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Citi Field, Citizen's Bank Park, Nationals Park, AT&T Park, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium and Petco. My Top Three that I've been to are AT&T, Petco and Citi Field. AT&T is simply a gorgeous place to spend an afternoon or evening, and they have great food options. I feel like Petco is underrated because the Padres are not really talked about much but I loved that park, the neighborhood and pretty much everything about it. Citi Field is nice, cozy and way more friendly and fun than it's big brother. 

Next on my must list is PNC Park, though I will hopefully get to all or most eventually!

Edited by rippleintime17

Citizens Bank Park is in my top picks for the Chickie's & Pete's fries alone.

Yesss. They only have them in right field and I was sitting on the third base line, but I STILL booked it over there to get some. It took almost an entire inning, but was worth it.

Edited by rippleintime17